What's a Comic Book Challenge?

- monthly threads to encourage more reading and discussion
- a way to figure out "what do I read next?"
- motivation to try different genres
- motivation to keep reading and make progress on our unread piles
- a place to get recommendations

How does it work?

- we pick a genre (or company, or title, or whatever) for a month
- we post in this thread and talk about what we plan to read and read throughout the month
- you could keep a spoilered list in one post and update it all month, or post as you read
- in theory the lists could be kept in a separate thread to allow for fancier formatting while avoiding clutter

What makes it a "challenge"?

- well, unofficially, the goal is to read 100 comics a month, but that isn't stressed
- the group discussion will challenge and encourage you to read more (the main goal of most participants I imagine)

Who can participate?

- anyone and everyone!
- you don't have to list your reading or even post at all to participate, but what's the fun in that?
- quasi-technically, anyone on the planet who reads a qualifying book for the month is a participant, whether they know it or not

When does it start and end?

- it begins at dusk on the last day of previous month, and ends at dawn on the first day of the next month
- this bonus time allows for possible "double counting" cross-Challenge content
- content eligible for both Challenges has the bonus of being able to be counted for all 24 hours of the last/first days of both Challenges

How does counting work?
- as with every other 'rule', we're pretty liberal and you can count any way you want really
- in general, a comic book counts as one
- for graphic novels and oversize books, feel free to count one for every twenty pages

Who wins?

- there are no losers, the person who reads one page a month is equal to the person who reads 20 books a day

What is the schedule?

January - TV/Movie/Book
February - Eisner/Harvey/Etc Winners
March - Rotating Company
April - TBD (random idea every year)
May - Make-Your-Own
June - Reality
July - Science Fiction
August - Fantasy
September - Outside-Your-Comfort-Zone
October - Horror
November - Comedy
December - Holiday (w/ bonus Thanksgiving and New Year's time)

Want a personal checklist to help you pick stuff to read?

Obviously you'll want to edit the below spoilered example checklist to fit your needs.

Spoiler:
Read something from my:

Boom -
Comixology -
Dark Horse digital -
DC -
Digests -
FCBD books -
Groupees bundles -
Humble bundles -
Image -
magazine -
Marvel -
original graphic novel -
physical collection -
physical single issue -
3D comic -
treasury edition -
TwoMorrows -
Old 06-29-17, 06:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: The 3rd Annual DVDTalk Science Fiction Comic Book Challenge - July 2017

First two years for some rules talk and suggestions.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...ly-2015-a.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...ly-2016-a.html
Old 06-30-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Superman Vs Predator 1-4 - dull, morphs Superman from his typical and then sits back describing the basics of Predator mythology that everyone who has any awareness of Predator already knows. Overly long and focuses way too much on a strange mad scientist plot instead of the main attractions. Rating 3/10 [counting each prestige length book as 2 issues]
Superman Vs Terminator: Death to the Future 1-4 - action packed read that makes great use of the Superman universe with supporting characters and parallel past/future action plus an assortment of nonstop terminators; well paced with fun cartoonish illustration. Much better than I expected. Rating 9/10
Justice League Vs Predator (One Shot) - takes an initially eerie start and detours into overly cartoonish fluff changing the Predator elements that make them interesting for more generic superhero tropes. It does feature a nice selection of the Justice League. 4/10
Green Lantern Vs Aliens 1-4 Nicely focuses on Green Lantern mythology in a way that reflects on canon history using aliens as backdrop, it's fun seeing the Kyle Rayner fighting off aliens and there are some clever nods to the aliens franchise even if they're mostly backdrop. Seems to attempt more moral depth than typical superhero fare. 8/10
Terminator: Tempest 1-4 - captures the tone of 'Terminator 1' well but has too many characters to flesh out in the 4 issue series and initially seems like it won't have much lasting impact; features a few twists - some cool and some cringe worthy. Rating: 6 out of 10.
Terminator: One Shot - focuses on a strange 'Tales from the Crypt' brand of dark irony that often comes across as more corny than chilling, using a terminator as backdrop. Visuals are good much the plot is subpar. Rating: 4/10
Terminator: Secondary Objectives

Issues Read: 23

I'm in for this one. I've been reading through some of my Marvel backlog but this seems like a good excuse to detour into Predator, Aliens, and/or Star Wars stuff I have. Looking forward to catching up on zany nonsensical scifi crossovers...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-06-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Princess Leia 1-5*
Darth Vader 1-12*
Blake and Mortimer: The Volnov Plot*
Machine Man*
Star Wars Heir to the Empire 1-6 (Thrawn Trilogy)*
Legion of Super-Heroes (1984) 1-6, 7-8*
Star Wars (2015) 1-12*
Starslayer Log of the Jolly Roger 1
Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes 239-240
Star Wars Vader Down crossover
Star Trek Gold Key #1 "The Planet of No Return"
Star Trek Gold Key #2 "The Devil's Isle of Space"
Valerian 1 Planet of Shifting Waters*
Valerian 16 Hostages of Urulum*

Last edited by davidh777; 08-01-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 07:14 AM

Read Cosmic Odyssey, the 1988 DC mini-series from Jim Starlin and Mike Mignola. I only vaguely remember parts of the first chapters, so perhaps this was a first time complete read thru, but with my memory it's hard to say.

The story is a bit of a mess, and has some heroes acting completely out of character. Starlin was fairly new to DC iirc, only having serious experience with Batman. But despite screaming at the pages for multiple stupid decisions/moments, it was a fun read with obviously great art. I'll just chalk it up as an Elseworlds story (aren't they all?) and move along.
Old 07-12-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm taking advantage of the challenge to finally plunge into some of the newer Star Wars series. I read a couple issues of Princess Leia last year and liked it fine, but only finished it this month. I liked Darth Vader (though it took an issue or two to warm up) and Star Wars better. After a couple trades of each, I'm going to read Vader Down next, and I got two more of each after that.

I'm also trying an older series, The Thrawn Trilogy, as I only recently learned about the character. The plot is good, but it does feel significantly older.
Old 07-12-17, 02:11 PM

I keep telling myself to do the same David, catch up on the new Star Wars. Sampled a bit and enjoyed it enough to buy everything in that Amazon quirky sale.

Right now, I'm deciding which Kirby to read from the new Humble Bundle.
Old 07-12-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
I keep telling myself to do the same David, catch up on the new Star Wars. Sampled a bit and enjoyed it enough to buy everything in that Amazon quirky sale.
Yeah, I didn't buy everything in that sale and I'm regretting it a bit, but I did buy plenty, and I'm OK with buying more of the stuff I do like.

Right now, I'm deciding which Kirby to read from the new Humble Bundle.
Damn, I can't resist that much Kirby and Eisner even if it's not the core material and not linked to Comixology. In at $15.
Old 07-13-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Read Cosmic Odyssey, the 1988 DC mini-series from Jim Starlin and Mike Mignola. I only vaguely remember parts of the first chapters, so perhaps this was a first time complete read thru, but with my memory it's hard to say.

The story is a bit of a mess, and has some heroes acting completely out of character. Starlin was fairly new to DC iirc, only having serious experience with Batman. But despite screaming at the pages for multiple stupid decisions/moments, it was a fun read with obviously great art. I'll just chalk it up as an Elseworlds story (aren't they all?) and move along.
It just came out a few months ago in a Deluxe edition. I've been a big fan of Cosmic Odyssey since it first came out. Starlin is one of my favorite writers and he handles DC characters a bit differently than just about anyone.

I think it's the first time I came acros Mignola's work.
Old 07-16-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I picked up the first Star Trek Gold Key volume in the IDW sale and have enjoyed the trip down Memory Lane. It makes me want to dig out the old GIT DVD and see what's on there, though that would require using the one computer in the house that has an optical drive.
Old 07-16-17, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I picked up the first Star Trek Gold Key volume in the IDW sale and have enjoyed the trip down Memory Lane. It makes me want to dig out the old GIT DVD and see what's on there, though that would require using the one computer in the house that has an optical drive.
Oh crap, I forgot about that old DVD! And here I've been rebuying my Trek on Comixology. And humble bundle. And hardcovers.
Old 07-16-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh crap, I forgot about that old DVD! And here I've been rebuying my Trek on Comixology. And humble bundle. And hardcovers.
I read that the GIT PDFs have two comic pages per PDF page so they involve scrolling and zooming. So maybe not the best reading experience.
Old 07-16-17, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I read that the GIT PDFs have two comic pages per PDF page so they involve scrolling and zooming. So maybe not the best reading experience.
I just need a 24" tablet then.
Old 07-26-17, 03:35 PM

As usual, a fairly disappointing month so far for me overall. I have been reading a bunch of DC Rebirth on Hoopla, which technically counts I guess.

August thread started.