Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

AXEL ALONSO Out, CB CEBULSKI In As Marvel Editor-in-Chief

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
AXEL ALONSO Out, CB CEBULSKI In As Marvel Editor-in-Chief

Another huge shakeup at Marvel. Wonder if Alonso is jumping ship to DC too with Bendis.

C.B. Cebulski has been named Editor-in-Chief of Marvel Comics, with Axel Alonso stepping down from the post to depart Marvel entirely.

“It’s crazy. It’s an honor. I’m blown away by the opportunity,” Cebulski told the New York Times.

Cebulski has worked for Marvel since 2002 when he joined as an associate editor. In 2011, Cebulski was named Vice President of International Brand Management. Cebulski currently resides in Shanghai, China.
https://www.newsarama.com/37418-axel...-in-chief.html
Old 11-17-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: AXEL ALONSO Out, CB CEBULSKI In As Marvel Editor-in-Chief

That's kind of surprising, I had no idea Cebulski was that high up in the company. Is he moving back to the US? I just knew him as a manga guy from his CPM days.
Old 11-17-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I hope Alonso stays far, far away from DC comics. So much nonsense happened under his watch at Marvel. It's going to take years for Marvel to get their credibility back.
Old 11-28-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cebulski is already toast, or he should be. Marvel just can't get anything right.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...akira-yoshida/

So 13 years ago, Cebulski wrote under a pseudonym, Akira Yoshida, pretending to be a Japanese writer. He did some Dark Horse, then got hired by Marvel. There's a lot of uproar over cultural appropriation which will get a lot of press, but that's not the issue I see here.

The problem is that he was an editor at Marvel at the same time his pseudonym was writing comics. There was a company policy not to allow editors to do other kinds of work for the company, presumably in the name of finding new talent. Cebulski was not only responsible for finding new talent, he was the one who brought in... Akira Yoshida. He (allegedly) used his connections with other editors to get his foot in the door, and took jobs away from other creators. The whistle was blown, and Rich Johnston started investigating, but reached a dead end; people swore that they had met Akira in person. That turned out to be lies/cover up and/or a case of mistaken identity.

You can listen to the podcast that details this here:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...akira-yoshida/

It's a little hard to follow because the names were changed in the telling. If these allegations are true, Cebulski not only broke company policy, he used his connections and position to get work for himself. I can't see him remaining EIC.

Cebulski only admitted it recently after being called out on Twitter.
Old 11-28-17, 10:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Wow, will be interesting to see how it unfolds. The rule of not being able to be a creator and an editor was silly, but adding the cultural stuff makes it hard to defend him.
Old 11-28-17, 10:21 PM
Banned

Cebulski is well liked by the current writers at Marvel. If he's let go because of this, I could see several big name writers leaving with him. He should still get reprimanded or simply demoted and the role of EIC given to someone else.
Old 11-29-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Maybe I misunderstood the timeline, but the higher ups at Marvel knew all about this before naming Cebulski EiC, so they clearly have moved on. I'm not really sure why they would demote him unless the outrage police comes calling.
Old 11-29-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wow, will be interesting to see how it unfolds. The rule of not being able to be a creator and an editor was silly, but adding the cultural stuff makes it hard to defend him.
See I'm kind of the opposite.

I agree that it was bad he pretended to be a Japanese writer, though I can see that as being a lie that just got away from him. I mean he did live in Japan for a while, and he did have a ton of connections to Japanese talent like Kia Asamiya through his role in CPM Manga, so a lot of that fake biography may have glimmers of truth, and it's not like he had zero experience living in Japan.

As incoming EIC, the bigger problem I have is that he not only lied to get an additional payday when it was clearly not allowed, but he used his position and his friends to get that payday over other qualified writers, even though the whole reason for that policy was to find new talent. Then, when he was caught years later, instead of admitting it he got upset and then it got covered up. Now that he's become EIC his initial response to the tweet is... not good, since it's not apologetic, it's more dismissive.

I'm taking that podcast as gospel, though, so there may be another side to th is.
Old 11-29-17, 09:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Yeah, it depends on how much of all the info spilling out is true. I wouldn't blame him much if he anonymously submitted stories and got hired that way, but if he used his influence and contacts to take those jobs away from others? F him.
Old 11-29-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

This sounds like comics has its own J. T. LeRoy, except it's playing to the industry's weeaboo tendencies instead of the publishing industry's LGBTQ sympathies.

(I'm not sure if "weeaboo" is offensive. I don't think it is, but apologies in advance if it is.)
Old 11-30-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can guarantee whoever leaked this to Rich Johnston wants the Editor-in-Chief job for himself or has an ax to grind with Marvel. It wouldn't surprise me to find out Marvel knew all along Cebulski was using the pseudonym as a writer and were okay with it.
Old 12-03-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It wouldn't surprise me to find out Marvel knew all along Cebulski was using the pseudonym as a writer and were okay with it.
How could they not? Who did they write the checks to? Whose SS no. was it under? I don't think it's a big deal at all. If a woman pretended to be a man and did the same thing she would be a hero. Total BS in my opinion.
Old 12-03-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
How could they not? Who did they write the checks to? Whose SS no. was it under? I don't think it's a big deal at all. If a woman pretended to be a man and did the same thing she would be a hero. Total BS in my opinion.
Errr... if a woman pretended to be a man, presumably she would do so because the industry was biased against women and the only way to get published was to pretend to be a man. This is a white guy pretending to be Asian for who knows what reason (to give legitimacy to a throwaway story about Wolverine going to Japan?). There's the white guy part of this, there's the pretending to be another race part of this, there's the pretending to be another race to claim expertise in that race's culture, etc.

But again, to me the bigger deal is that he used this pseudonym to get around Marvel editorial practices at the time, all to get another payday for himself, using his buddy editors to steal jobs from other freelancers. There is no indication that Marvel was in on this, though he did come clean before he took the EIC job.
Old 12-03-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
But again, to me the bigger deal is that he used this pseudonym to get around Marvel editorial practices at the time, all to get another payday for himself, using his buddy editors to steal jobs from other freelancers. There is no indication that Marvel was in on this, though he did come clean before he took the EIC job.
I still don't care. If those other writers work was good don't you think it would have been bought? Total fuckin' whiners if you ask me. BTW, I'm as Asian as can be and I didn't bitch when things didn't go my way. Fuck that.
Old 12-04-17, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
I still don't care. If those other writers work was good don't you think it would have been bought? Total fuckin' whiners if you ask me. BTW, I'm as Asian as can be and I didn't bitch when things didn't go my way. Fuck that.
If the other writers' work was worse than what was put out, especially that AoA follow up debacle that I actually paid for, then they were in worse shape in terms of scouting talent than I thought.

Also this review, from the Savage Critics archive (which got blended into ComixExperience once Hibbs shut down the site):

https://www.comixexperience.com/sava...s?rq=soultaker
WOLVERINE SOULTAKER #1: I don't know why I read this. If you like art where nobody has elbows, or plots are so underwhelming they read like overly verbose coloring books, or a book about Japan done so unconvincingly you first wonder if the creators are Japanese American rather than Japanese, then think maybe they're untalented white guys hiding under Japanese names, before finally doubting they were human at all and are instead a disguise for some prototype auto-manga generation software Marvel keeps trying...then this is the book for you! Awful.
Now I'm actually tempted to read it. I wonder if it's on MCU.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-04-17 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-04-17, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

then think maybe they're untalented white guys hiding under Japanese names,

Goddamn, Hibbs nailed it twelve years ago!
Old 12-04-17, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Errr... if a woman pretended to be a man, presumably she would do so because the industry was biased against women and the only way to get published was to pretend to be a man. This is a white guy pretending to be Asian for who knows what reason (to give legitimacy to a throwaway story about Wolverine going to Japan?). There's the white guy part of this, there's the pretending to be another race part of this, there's the pretending to be another race to claim expertise in that race's culture, etc.

Oh hai Mark
Old 12-04-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Goddamn, Hibbs nailed it twelve years ago!
He likely knew what the deal was when he wrote that line.
Old 12-04-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are people now calling themselves transracial. Perhaps that had something to do with it? I don't know, but either way I agree that it seems he circumvented the rules and that's a definite problem, or should be.
Old 12-04-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
There are people now calling themselves transracial. Perhaps that had something to do with it? I don't know, but either way I agree that it seems he circumvented the rules and that's a definite problem, or should be.
If it's not an issue for Marvel at this point, I'm not sure why it should be for us.

Last edited by ultimaton; 12-05-17 at 12:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-05-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
If it's not an issue for Marvel at this point, I'm not sure why it should be for us.
You're entitled to your own opinion on what bothers you, of course, so it may be no problem for you. Personally, I don't like people making their own rules, and all the negative effects to others, and the overall system, that can result. Situations should be as fair as possible, and if everyone makes up their own laws and rules it would be anarchy.
Old 12-19-17, 08:25 PM
Banned

Cebulski issues another apology
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-eic-cb-ce...ida-pseudonym/