Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Comic Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Marvel Comic Recommendations

I went to the comic store yesterday and found the Spiderman loves Mary Jane book, also a discounted X-Men origins II. I was about to get the Second Coming book but then I noticed it said Revelations so not sure that was the main book. it's hard tring to get compilations because you are not sure which book carries the main storyline and which one the side stories.
Old 04-19-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I went to the comic store yesterday and found the Spiderman loves Mary Jane book, also a discounted X-Men origins II. I was about to get the Second Coming book but then I noticed it said Revelations so not sure that was the main book. it's hard tring to get compilations because you are not sure which book carries the main storyline and which one the side stories.
Good call. Marvel especially makes it difficult to tell, and apparently the revelations book is after second coming. I once bought a House of M hardcover that I only discovered after the fact was a bunch of side stories, not the main storyline.

I'm all for supporting the local LCS but if they're not helping to guide you, I highly recommend sites like InStockTrades and Amazon, the latter especially to research which trade holds which issues. Both give significant discounts on collections still available in print.
Old 05-24-17, 04:00 PM

So I read that X-Men Origins II book and it has an origin story for Emma Frost. There it shows her being a shy kid with an abusive father, then as a grown up she is a stripper with another abusive figure at her side, Sebastian Shaw. I didn't really like that origin story because it portrays her as very weak all around. Its there a better story of her origin ?
Old 05-24-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Karl Bollers did an Emma Frost series that reads more like a young adult geared book (despite the Greg Horn covers) and establishes her in her teen years. I haven't read it in a long time, but that was around the time Marvel was doing more non superhero superhero stuff to appeal to the YA audience (this is also around the time they published Trouble starring teenager Aunt May...)

Emma's changed so much from her original appearance (mainly due to Morrison), and just recently radically changed again, so I'm not sure how those origin stories hold up. I highly recommend if you haven't already, reading Dark Phoenix saga, and the Morrison run, and then the Bendis run if you like her character.
Old 05-24-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I read a volume of that YA series and thought it was decent enough to read more but I never got around to it.
Old 06-02-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So if you don't mind digital you can pretty much buy anything recommended here for like 85% off on Amazon. Check the digital thread, or just search on Amazon for any Marvel collection and choose the Kindle version (which is compatible with comixology if you merge accounts). An amazing deal.
Old 06-03-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not familiar with Whedon's run? What?

Whedon's run is excellent and mostly self contained, which is great (especially because there was like a massive delay in ending his run). I think over time people have soured on it a bit but I still like it. But then I was always a huge Kitty and Collosus fan. And ever since Planetary, I've fled Cassiday can do no wrong.

The other modern run of XMen that is probably a must-read is Morrison's New XMen one, though it's very different.

Starting with Annihilation, Marvel Cosmic got really good... without those series we don't get Guardians of the Galaxy.

Brubaker's lengthy Captain America run is a classic, as is his smaller run with Fraction on Immortal Iron Fist. Brubaker on Daredevil, which followed Bendis's excellent run. More recently Waid and Samnee on Daredevil.

Hickman just finished an incredible run on Avengers that had its start in both his run on Fantastic Four and Secret Warriors.

Peter David's X Factor run for comedy, as well as Milligan and Allred's X Statix.

Pak's Planet Hulk.

Remender on Uncanny X Force

People hate on Bendis but he did an incredible run on Ultimate Spider-man, mainly with Mark Bagley.

Brian K Vaughan on Runaways. But only his run, even Whedon couldn't save it.

Fraction and Larocca on Invincible Iron Man. To this day I still don't know how it ended because they never released the last hardcover that I know of.

Dan Slott's Superior Spider-Man and Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

J. Michael Straczynski's Thor started off incredible, but unfortunately like most of his stuff petered out at the end. Still worth a read I think.

Nobody ever mentions it but McKeever's Mary Jane loves Spider-Man is still one of my favorites.

Most if not all of this is available on Marvel Unlimited, btw.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness, I'll try to order them better when I have some time.
My stupid post just reminded me to rebuy The Mary Jane books again... for less than 8 bucks in that kindle sale. In fact I'd say I probably rebought 80% of what I listed, and I'm really tempted by Astonishing and New XMen even though I have omniboo.
Old 06-06-17, 02:46 PM

I'm a fucking idiot and missed out on this sale. I really want to get the Annihilation arc and book 1 is out of print and really hard to find.

In other news finally got around reading that "Mary Jane Loves Spiderman" book, it was really enjoyable. Nothing over dramatic or over the top just simple High school jinxes. It reminded me of the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, man i really enjoyed watching that with my son
Old 06-06-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

That Spectacular Spider-Man show was great stuff.