Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Free Comic Book Day - May 7, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Free Comic Book Day - May 7, 2016

Went to about three stores but got everything I wanted at the first one. It's always fun to see all the people show up to the stores even though I wonder how many just go to get free stuff and leave.
Old 05-08-16, 11:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I feel guilty just taking the free stuff so I always buy something, usually bags or a box.
Old 05-08-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Yes not having a ton of space for a bunch of floppies is totally hipster of me.
I'll repost your post:
I was going to go to a shop for the first time in a decade but ended up sleeping in instead. I really didn't see any free books that interested me anyway. Not that I really want any physical media cluttering up the place.
Snob much?

What was the purpose of your post to begin with? Clarify it then.
Old 05-08-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

This was the first time that I went out for Free Comic Book Day. The LCS I went to had a limit for two free books per person, plus one for posting their hashtag on social media, and two more if you were in costume. You could also get an extra book if you were a pull customer of theirs. I got the three books that I was after. Saw a few people in costume. Lots of families with small kids. In general it was nice to see lots of people in the store, which is something that I rarely see. It also seemed like very few people were getting just the free stuff, as the line to pay was actually quite long. I never like leaving there without getting something, so I checked the used trade section and found a copy of the first volume of Gotham Central. I figure I've seen many people mention it, I should check it out, and for $8 what do I have to lose. I was going to check out another store, but ran out of time.
Old 05-09-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We setup a booth at Comic Bug in Culver City Teen Center. It was organized like a free comic con, even Stan Lee showed up at there shop.

Yes, the Stan Lee. They raffled off tickets and picked 100 winners to get his autograph.

Shannon Lee and Bernard Chang were there signing Bruce Lee Comics. I bought 2, 1 for me and 1 for a friend.

Pretty fun event. We gave out 250 free prints and it was gone by 2pm.
Old 05-09-16, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
We setup a booth at Comic Bug in Culver City Teen Center. It was organized like a free comic con, even Stan Lee showed up at there shop.

Yes, the Stan Lee. They raffled off tickets and picked 100 winners to get his autograph.

Shannon Lee and Bernard Chang were there signing Bruce Lee Comics. I bought 2, 1 for me and 1 for a friend.

Pretty fun event. We gave out 250 free prints and it was gone by 2pm.
That's pretty sweet. So, are you an artist?
Old 05-10-16, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ended up snagging the civil war and captain america title from my library. Looks like they had extras that I missed on Saturday.
Old 05-10-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Ended up snagging the civil war and captain america title from my library.
Do most libraries do this? Or is it just the one near you?
Old 05-10-16, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan
I checked three on Saturday. One I happened to drive by and had none; one I called and said Ken per customer so I didn't bother; one is next to a comic shop and had about 20 of the more kid-friendly ones no limit.
Old 05-10-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
one I called and said Ken per customer so I didn't bother
Yeah, I wouldn't even read Barbie comics.
Old 05-10-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
They should. I'd assume the larger libraries/systems would as opposed to small town ones. Our library had the comics by levels. Children, teens/young adult, and adult, etc.
Old 05-10-16, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, I wouldn't even read Barbie comics.
Don't! one per customer
Old 05-10-16, 11:24 AM

Don't! one per customer
Freaking autocorrect. I meant "Doh!"

I think I'll quit internetting for the day.
Old 05-10-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They should. I'd assume the larger libraries/systems would as opposed to small town ones. Our library had the comics by levels. Children, teens/young adult, and adult, etc.
I did a search after asking you and it seems they do at several libraries up here in the Bay Area. Gonna try to hit 'em up next year.
Old 05-10-16, 11:31 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Damn Valeyard! I was just about to post that story wins best story of the day, but know you're making me think.
Always trust your initial instincts.
Old 05-10-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

A lot of shops and library may still have the comics. I know a shop down the way still has several that they just leave up with a sign saying FREE.
Old 05-10-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

It was a weird FCBD for me. I usually hit two shops, but my plans changed and I had only a small window to hit my regular shop. Usually they restrict quantities, but there was no sign and no one saying anything, so I just grabbed what I wanted:

Suicide Squad
Captain America
Civil War
Serenity
Captain America anniversary magazine

The annoying thing is that this shop usually has sales on everything, but there was nothing posted and no one saying anything. I finally noticed they had a stack of pieces of paper that listed some info about FCBD, but it was on the counter behind a line of customers. So I just got annoyed and decided not to get anything. I did go through a box of 50% off TPBs, and there was some stuff I was interested in, but nothing I NEEDED, and honestly I still run across books I bought on sale and never read, so I passed. The fact that I was on a time crunch made the decision easier.

I skipped the kids' stuff. I would've gotten Archie if I didn't already have the TPB. There was some guy sitting at a desk in the kids' room looking lonely who I later learned was "Indie writer Mike Greb selling and signing copies of his new book After the Gold Rush."

So all in all, it was a lackluster day, but I did get some interesting freebies. Also, the store had Wonder Woman and Rey cosplayers in front, and one mom asked if her daughter could get her picture taken with them, so that was pretty cute.

Originally Posted by VHS?
A lot of shops and library may still have the comics. I know a shop down the way still has several that they just leave up with a sign saying FREE.
I'm sure they still have them, but my shops have never displayed them other than on FCBD so I assumed there were rules against it. One of my shops puts out issues from previous years, though the problem there is I never remember if I already have them.

Last edited by davidh777; 05-10-16 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I forgot about that Suicide Squad one.
Old 05-10-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty sweet. So, are you an artist?
I have a clothing line I run with my bro. We do all the designs. We usually get a booth at Cons. This one was really fun as it was laid back and everyone was excited.
Old 05-13-16, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A friend at work gave these to my today. Only one I really wanted.

Old 05-15-16, 07:07 AM

So on Free Comic Book Day I was able to snag 49 of the 50 books. Subsequent trips to local stores yielded no luck on finding the elusive Assassin's Creed book.

Yesterday, we took a trip an hour or so north to visit some family. I google-mapped comic stores in the area, as I'm wont to do, and found one a mile from the restaurant. Stopped by afterwards and found they still had a FCBD table with about 20 different titles. The very last book in the line? Assassin's Creed.
Old 06-04-16, 02:58 PM

Weird bump, but I didn't feel like making a new thread. Today is Dark Horse's 30th anniversary. I don't see any freebies digitally, but apparently most shops have something.

I could never give up my lifelong obsession with DC, but if I could only read books from one other company, Dark Horse would be an easy first choice.
Old 06-04-16, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

As a retailer, let me tell you that Dark Horse dropped the ball on this. The sampler they sent sucks. They didn't do anything special for retailers to promote or any deals through Diamond so we could stock up on their inventory. Basically, it shows how much Dark Horse is struggling this days. They have gone in a downward spiral since they lost the Star Wars license a year and half ago. Almost nothing of what they have done since then has stuck with the readers and their current product is mostly mediocre.

They really need to grab a license to something big like Game of Thrones or Harry Potter to re-establish themselves. It seems that they keep losing their money makers like Hellboy, Goon and Mind MGMT and haven't been able to replace them at all. From what I've heard, they have become like Vertigo, somewhere that most writers and artist won't work because of their outrageous fees and one sided contracts. People are taking their ideas and books to Image, IDW, Boom and Dynamite or prefer to self publish instead of taking their stuff to Dark Horse. It's their 30th Anniversary but if they want to survive, they seriously need to re-structure the company.
Old 06-04-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

They really need to grab a license to something big like Game of Thrones or Harry Potter to re-establish themselves. It seems that they keep losing their money makers like Hellboy, Goon and Mind MGMT and haven't been able to replace them at all.
No Harry Potter comics. From what I understand, J.K. Rowling won't let anyone do Harry Potter comics; and even if she did they would come out from DC because of the Warners connection.

Dynamite adapted the Game of Thrones novel, so they probably have that license.

Dark Horse still, as far as I know, has the Hellbly comics unless something has happened that I don't know about.

They still have the Buffy license, but after the early "Season 8" comics sold like gangbusters interest has cooled off and they're only selling about ten percent of what the earliest issues did.
Old 06-04-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Dark Horse has Hellboy, but Mignola is ending it soon. But I don't know if spinoff books will continue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.