Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Batman, Captain America vintage comics stolen from driveway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Batman, Captain America vintage comics stolen from driveway

I doubt they will show up in the States unless they are sold on Ebay.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...mics-1.3293025

A Dartmouth woman is offering a $2,000 reward to track down her brother's comic book collection after it was snatched from her driveway last month.

Gail Munroe believes the comics were stolen while she was unloading her car on Summer Field Way in late September. The 280 comics, which were in three boxes inside a large olive green suitcase, were gone "in the blink of an eye."

"They were my brother's possessions that he's been avidly collecting since he was about eight or nine years old. He's now in his 50s and quite a number of the issues are quite rare. They are collectable," said Munroe.

"I think it was a crime of opportunity, that someone picked up the suitcase and felt the weight of it and realized it contained more than clothing."

'I personally feel so badly'

Munroe had just returned to her home after a weekend away and set about unloading the suitcase and other possessions from her car. Because the green suitcase was so heavy, she went inside the house to ask her husband for help.

Her husband was on the phone at the time and she turned her back on the car for a few minutes, Munroe said Wednesday.

She assumed her husband had brought the suitcase in the house — and her husband assumed she had. A few days later, when Munroe's brother emailed and asked if he could pick up his comics from her house, they realized the suitcase was gone.

"We're hoping that someone will do the right thing," she said. "This was basically my brother's investment for his retirement and I personally feel so badly that these were taken on my watch."

Silver and golden age comics were part of the collection including Detective Comics, Batman, The Atomic Thunderbolt, Captain America, Justice League, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Green Lantern and The X-Men.

Some of these titles date back to the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.

'Huge sentimental value'

Munroe is offering a $2,000 reward, no questions asked, for anyone with information that leads to the recovery of the comics. Nova Scotia Crime Stoppers has picked up on her story and posted details on their website.

Munroe said she's been checking out flea markets and has been contacting comic book collectors around Nova Scotia to let them know about the theft. She also posted an ad on Kijiji and has put up signs around her neighbourhood.

People have emailed with possible leads, but she said none of the tips have panned out.

"With the signs we have been posting, someone has also been taking them down which leaves us to suspect the thief or thieves are aware of our efforts and are kind of trying to contain the information," she said.

Munroe says her next step will be to expand her search outside Nova Scotia.

"I feel so very badly. It's been my brother's passion since he was a little boy," she said.

"These aren't things that can easily be replaced. There's a huge sentimental value, of course, attached to them as well."

Some pics of the books that were stolen:

Old 10-30-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Re: Batman, Captain America vintage comics stolen from driveway

At first I was thinking that someone knew the comic books were in the suitcase and that's how they knew to take them, but it sounds like they were just left out in the driveway.

If took several days for them to realize the suitcase was gone I'd hardly say they were gone in "the blink of an eye."
Old 10-30-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If took several days for them to realize the suitcase was gone I'd hardly say they were gone in "the blink of an eye."
Yeah, if the brother didn't email her she wouldn't have ever noticed they were missing. And if they were so important to him, why the fuck does she have them?
Old 10-31-15, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Possibly they will find the comics in the corner of their dining room next week.
Old 10-31-15, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"This was basically my brother's investment for his retirement and I personally feel so badly that these were taken on my watch."

Yeah that's also a terrible investment choice for retirement.
Old 11-01-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Golden Age comics are a hot property, I could see someone investing in them as a side investment to their retirement. These aren't Image comics from 1995 that were made by the millions.

I will be honest, the first thing I thought when I read this story is that the sister is covering something up. She either lost them by accident and won't admit it to her brother, or she sold them herself and made up this cover story. I've seen siblings cheat each other for serious money all the time.