Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Con New York

Old 10-07-15, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Comic Con New York

It's this weekend. Anyone going? Anything worth checking out, or looking for?
Old 10-08-15, 10:21 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Comic Con New York

I'm going. I don't have any must-sees. None of the panels are doing it for me this year. Maybe the Dark Knight panel. I wouldn't mind seeing the Death of Superman doc playing in Brooklyn Saturday. I still haven't decided what day I want to go. Probably Sunday when the vendors are dropping prices on their stock.
Old 10-08-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking at the panels, and the guests listed for Saturday, nothing really jumps out at me either. None of the autographing guests really seem to be that huge get like they had last year. And If I am only going for one day, I am not going to spend the majority of that day waiting in line to get into a panel. I had some interest in that BTTF doc, but not enough to take a day off of work.
Old 10-08-15, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill be going down tomorrow..just found out havent even looked anything up yet
Old 10-09-15, 01:43 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

ConTV is doing a Free Livestream from NYCC on Saturday from 2pm - 5pm EST. You can watch it on the Roku.

http://www.contv.com/detail-movie/co...live-presents/
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...ontv-roku.html
Old 10-09-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been to a Comic Con before. They seem like too much work for me. I'm lazy.
Old 10-09-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sven
I've never been to a Comic Con before. They seem like too much work for me. I'm lazy.
I can definitely see how it could be alot of work. Luckily there is someone in our group that does all the leg work as far as finding out who has the decent exclusives worth getting and where the re going to be. Aside from that, for me, the con consists of walking down each aisle and checking stuff out. Lots of walking. We dont worry about any of the panels simply because having only one day there, we dont want to spend alot of it in line for a panel. The only other thing that may take some time and planning is the autographing, if one so chooses. Last year I went downstairs to the autographing area later in teh afternoon and breezed through. Got all 4 that I was interested in in under an hour.
Old 10-09-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I can definitely see how it could be alot of work. Luckily there is someone in our group that does all the leg work as far as finding out who has the decent exclusives worth getting and where the re going to be. Aside from that, for me, the con consists of walking down each aisle and checking stuff out. Lots of walking. We dont worry about any of the panels simply because having only one day there, we dont want to spend alot of it in line for a panel. The only other thing that may take some time and planning is the autographing, if one so chooses. Last year I went downstairs to the autographing area later in teh afternoon and breezed through. Got all 4 that I was interested in in under an hour.
Cool. I need to find one of those. I don't really know anyone else who reads comics anymore.
Old 10-09-15, 07:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped up day two. So friggin tired, legs and feet hurt so much but had a great day.
Old 10-10-15, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I was thinking of going, mainly because I wanted to take the new train line, the extension of the #7 train that goes right to the Javits Center, for the first time. But when I mentioned it to my daughter she said that Comic Con was sold out already. This was weeks ago. So I didn't bother trying. I used to get a press pass, but then they made it really hard to get one. The last Comic Con I attended was in 2011.
Old 10-10-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Geddlo
Just wrapped up day two. So friggin tired, legs and feet hurt so much but had a great day.
If I ever go to a comic con, I'm going in a wheelchair.
Old 10-10-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If I ever go to a comic con, I'm going in a wheelchair.
Just Cosplay as Prof X.
Old 10-10-15, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
ConTV is doing a Free Livestream from NYCC on Saturday from 2pm - 5pm EST. You can watch it on the Roku.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...ontv-roku.html
The livestream just started. You can watch it on your PC or Roku. I think they also have apps for Android and iOS.

Old 10-10-15, 01:42 PM

Marvel is also livestreaming from NYCC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wapx8xnEFaA
Old 10-10-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Just Cosplay as Prof X.
I'd have to cosplay Niles "The Chief" Caulder. I'm not shaving my head or getting rid of my beard.
Old 10-11-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Metron and his Moebius Chair would be a cool cosplay character.
Old 10-11-15, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy crap, it was crowded this year. I'm going to have to skip next year or go on a Thursday. I did pretty much bump into Robert Kirkman so that was cool. I took out $200 from the ATM but didn't end up buying anything. All I took home was a sample of the Welcome to Night Vale book. Oh well, I have too many unread comics already. I was hoping to find a good t-shirt though. Those crowds were not browsing friendly though.
Old 10-12-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I was thinking of going, mainly because I wanted to take the new train line, the extension of the #7 train that goes right to the Javits Center, for the first time.
It was impressive. The escalator out of there is quite a trip.

Originally Posted by jjacobs399
holy crap, it was crowded this year. I'm going to have to skip next year or go on a Thursday. I did pretty much bump into Robert Kirkman so that was cool. I took out $200 from the ATM but didn't end up buying anything. All I took home was a sample of the Welcome to Night Vale book. Oh well, I have too many unread comics already. I was hoping to find a good t-shirt though. Those crowds were not browsing friendly though.
It did seem a bit more crowded this year. Bumped into alot of people. Nobody famous though, I dont think. I too went down with some cash, and came back with the vast majority of it. Just didn't find anything that I was excited about. Looked through a bunch of long boxes of trades and found pretty much the same stuff everywhere, until I found one vendor that was selling everythign he had, not just the old junk that no one wanted, for half off. Was armed with my list of recommendations from people here. Unfortunately I was only able to find 2 titles off the list. Rest I will have to get online. If anyone was looking for funko pops they would have had a field day as it seemed like every single vendor was selling them.
Old 10-13-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjcool
It was impressive. The escalator out of there is quite a trip.
i got so sick going into the station :X i think ill walk next time

I usually always go sunday due to not being able to get a ticket my gf got me a friday ticket so i went down and was amazed on how empty it was with a lot of space to move around and browse. i will say it is a lot harder to keep your cool with idiots when its not as busy because its more noticeable.

i literally bumped into whoopie goldberg and her entourage in the main lobby.

i spent 15 bucks on a couple books I got some of the dc bombshell variants signed and a rucka signature and enjoyed my time will prolly go on fridays from now on
Old 10-16-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by terrycloth
i got so sick going into the station :X i think ill walk next time

I usually always go sunday due to not being able to get a ticket my gf got me a friday ticket so i went down and was amazed on how empty it was with a lot of space to move around and browse. i will say it is a lot harder to keep your cool with idiots when its not as busy because its more noticeable.

i literally bumped into whoopie goldberg and her entourage in the main lobby.

i spent 15 bucks on a couple books I got some of the dc bombshell variants signed and a rucka signature and enjoyed my time will prolly go on fridays from now on
That escalator had me turning a bit green by the time I got to the end at street level. I ended up walking back at the end of the day. Saturday seemed more crowded this year than in previous years. Alot more crowded. It seemed like at the end of every aisle it was a dead stop to try to get to the next aisle. I may look into going on Friday next year, but part of the appeal is seeing all the people.
Definitely didn't see much that I wanted to spend money on this year.