Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

"Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

"Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Old 11-09-16, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Glad to hear so many others are getting these MOKF Omnis. As I've mentioned before, this is my all-time favorite comic series that just improves as it continues. I am really looking forward to get Volumes 3 & 4, since those will have some of the best issues in the series - especially the Gene Day-drawn issues in Omni #4.

Also looking forward to the first DHOKF Omni - that should be out within the month - hopefully. I've never read the mag. before (it was slightly before my time), so it will be great to see this reprinted as well.
Old 11-09-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu" comic series to be reprinted starting Summer 2016!

Originally Posted by TheDude
Glad to hear so many others are getting these MOKF Omnis. As I've mentioned before, this is my all-time favorite comic series that just improves as it continues. I am really looking forward to get Volumes 3 & 4, since those will have some of the best issues in the series - especially the Gene Day-drawn issues in Omni #4.

Also looking forward to the first DHOKF Omni - that should be out within the month - hopefully. I've never read the mag. before (it was slightly before my time), so it will be great to see this reprinted as well.
I never read DHOKF either, but I actually know Iron Fist and Sons of the Tiger better than Shang Chi, so I'm looking forward to it. IST has the first volume available now, but they said the variant cover is delayed, perhaps till next week. I don't know what the variant looks like, and the regular cover looks cool anyway, but I'll probably hold out for that since it'd be a better match for my MOKF 1-2.
Old 11-10-16, 12:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
I never read DHOKF either, but I actually know Iron Fist and Sons of the Tiger better than Shang Chi, so I'm looking forward to it. IST has the first volume available now, but they said the variant cover is delayed, perhaps till next week. I don't know what the variant looks like, and the regular cover looks cool anyway, but I'll probably hold out for that since it'd be a better match for my MOKF 1-2.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to DHOKF Omni #1 as well. I have dim memories of the b&w mag., but never read this. I didn't really start collecting comics until the '80's, and this is more of a '70's title.

I've also heard/read that finding copies of DHOKF in decent shape is tough - plus, I'm sure these back issues go for an arm & a leg these days.
Old 11-11-16, 10:59 PM
Banned

Here's a Youtube review I found of DHOKF Omni #1 - looks interesting:

I hope to be getting my copy soon.
Old 11-15-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just ordered the Cardy variation cover of DHOKF1.
Old 11-22-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

IST has MOKF variant #2 back in stock, now limited to one per customer.
Old 02-20-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Thread bump...volume three due next week, hopefully the DM Variant will also be in-stock at IST.
Old 02-28-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The dust jacket art is bad ass.

Old 02-28-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I like the variant cover so much better:

The original cover art should never be the "variant".
Old 02-28-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I went for the variant.
Old 03-11-17, 04:08 PM
Banned

Great art; thanks for posting. I like both MOKF Omnibus #3 covers, but will probably get the new art cover; I pre-ordered this from Amazon, and will get whatever they send. The "puzzle" cover art from the original comic cover is great as well. I hope they'll be sending this out soon.

I've really been enjoying these Omnis; it's great to finally read these amazing comics after all these years. Both the MOKF & DHOKF series are fantastic.

MOKF Omnibus #4 is available for pre-order on Amazon. This is my most highly-anticipated CE volume ever - I was & still am a huge fan of the late Gene Day, who did the art that will be in much of this volume:

https://www.amazon.com/Shang-Chi-Mas...+omnibus+vol+4
Old 03-23-17, 03:03 PM
Banned

Just got the MOKF Omni #3, and am extremely pleased with this volume. Truly gorgeous. I'm not typically a fan of Zeck's art, but it looks great here. The later issues reprinted here were the ones I actually remember getting off the stands, starting in the late '90's.

My favorite issue in this volume is #100 - Gene Day co-drew this with Zeck, and it seems evident that he drew the first 15-16 pages (the first part of the story). Truly stunning work here.

I like the inclusion of the "What if?" issue at the end of the volume - very nice.
Old 03-23-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, that issue of What If? was my intro to the character. Pretty sure I got it in one of those bags of coverless comics they used to sell at the corner store. It's got great writing and art, and it's still one of my favorite comics.

I started picking up the regular title on the newsstands after that, starting around issue 93 or so, and eventually amassed a complete (reading quality) collection. So, mission accomplished, What If?!
Old 03-23-17, 05:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

So here's my embarrassing mistake on these omnibii. Decided that I really wanted them and placed an order for the first back then with my monthly DCBS order. Later when the time came to order the second one, I looked back and noticed that I had ordered the omnibus for Deadly Hands by mistake.

At that point, it was too late to order the first MoKF at a discount, or to cancel my mistake. Decided I couldn't afford to have four Kung-fu omnibii on my bookshelves, so just decided to pass on MoKF.

And of course I already owned all of Deadly Hands digitally, and partially in singles. Booger.
Old 03-26-17, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I like the variant cover so much better:

The original cover art should never be the "variant".
This probably should have been the main cover instead of being the variant. I often get the impression that Marvel and DC like helping out the smaller comic book shops by making the variant more desirable. The variant won't ever hit the bigger book chains or Amazon.
Old 03-26-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
So here's my embarrassing mistake on these omnibii. Decided that I really wanted them and placed an order for the first back then with my monthly DCBS order. Later when the time came to order the second one, I looked back and noticed that I had ordered the omnibus for Deadly Hands by mistake.

At that point, it was too late to order the first MoKF at a discount, or to cancel my mistake. Decided I couldn't afford to have four Kung-fu omnibii on my bookshelves, so just decided to pass on MoKF.

And of course I already owned all of Deadly Hands digitally, and partially in singles. Booger.
That's unfortunate because these are limited releases, but your wife is doing handsprings.
Old 05-23-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This probably should have been the main cover instead of being the variant. I often get the impression that Marvel and DC like helping out the smaller comic book shops by making the variant more desirable. The variant won't ever hit the bigger book chains or Amazon.
I know this is slightly off topic but I just got Amazing Spiderman Vol3 from Instocktrades. I was lucky to get the Gil Kane variant as I was emailing with a rep back and forth about how quickly they were selling out of it.

How can this be the Variant?

...when it matches the standard editions of the 1st 2 volumes?

Marvel should always have the original art be the standards. Those Kung Fu variants are so much better too!
Old 05-23-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's interesting that the first two volumes were issue covers. I guess they decided to change their strategy.

I dragged my feet on the Kane cover at IST so decided to just punt this one. I have all the issues in digital anyway.
Old 05-24-17, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm pretty sure the original printings of the first 2 Spider-Man omnibi were new art for the regular cover and classic art for the DM variant. At the very least, that was the case for v.2. The newer printings have retained the classic art as the standard cover. I would expect that if v.3 gets reprinted at some point, it will be with the classic cover.
Old 06-06-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Placed my IST order for the DHOKF2 variant.

IST has the Kane cover of ASM3 back in stock, one per customer, but I think I'm going to stick with digital for this one.
Old 06-13-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Weird. IST has three of the DHOKF and two of the MOKF volumes at 50% off.
Old 07-18-17, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Marvel is releasing MOKF in TPB form as Epic Collections.
Old 07-18-17, 07:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Cool, perhaps this means they'll be able to release them digitally. Since I missed out on the Omnibi so far, it'll be nice to get them for $5 each someday.
Old 07-18-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Cool. Maybe I'll sell the Omnis for a bit of a profit and pick up the Epics in their place.
Old 07-18-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rw2516
"Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!"

I have all the original issues in floppies, but man, was I tempted to buy these omnibuses. It's just that they're so damn heavy and bulky - if I was going with something difficult to read, I might as well stick with my bagged-and-boarded copies. But the Epic size works fine if your primary reading opportunity is bedtime.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.