Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The 2nd Annual DVDTalk Horror Comic Book Challenge - October 2015

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 09:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: The 2nd Annual DVDTalk Horror Comic Book Challenge - October 2015

I haven't read AA since it was released. I remember thinking it was overhyped, but basically nothing about it now. Perhaps I'll reread it. We can call it horror, right?
Old 11-01-15, 03:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I honestly thought I'd spend October reading at least 300 comics and watching maybe 40 films. Instead, I pretty much reversed those numbers.

Edit way late to add: I guess I never made an official list this month. I think I read a handful of other stuff, but I'm only confident of the below.

Swamp Thing (new 52) 1-2
Swamp Thing (1972) 1-8

Last edited by Trevor; 09-24-16 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-02-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I finally got on the board just under the wire, reading Tomb of Dracula #1 on Halloween just before midnight. Gene Colan goodness!
Old 11-02-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I vaguely remember liking Arkham Asylum as a non-traditional Joker/Batman story but this was many, many years ago. I don't even remember the plot details.
Old 11-04-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I vaguely remember liking Arkham Asylum as a non-traditional Joker/Batman story but this was many, many years ago. I don't even remember the plot details.
The Anniversary/Deluxe edition has a whole load of extra stuff - it's essentially double the size of the original - and I have slightly more positive mixed feelings over that stuff, having just finished up (most of) the script, essays and pictures.

First off, it gave me great amusement that within his script for AA, Morrison namechecks Alan Moore at least twice. In the script, not interviews or comments - the script!

It is my very-vague (and fairly uncharitable) opinion that Morrison (...even the name...) apes Moore and tries to be as good as his better. So reading that one of GMs masterworks is literally tied to the ghost of Moore was interesting.

As was GMs comment that his script was (allegedly) circulated and mocked for being pretentious (true) and crap (not entirely true). He was clearly trying hard (and trying hard to be Moore), but there's no shame in that. I even give him respect for allowing the script to be published.

It also fills in some of the dots missing from reading the story, so that's both good (to comprehend) and bad (so much was lost between idea and exexution). It was also amusing to see many directions to McKean - Moorean directions? - wilfully ignored.

The annotations are mostly useful and worthwhile - although one lists the literary and film sources of quotes used in an Asylum scene. And half come from Marar/Sade and another quarter from the mind of Morrison... which former is a bit poncy, and which latter is not a film or book! - and I read those more than the script in many cases. The script was also mildly censored/lost - and one comment quoted the censored/lost bit! Oops... or, kudos.

Karen Berger pointed out that (in her opinion; to all intents and purposes) Morrison was new to the comics scene... obvious, but important when the M/M fans and interviews snipe about published priority.

And the GM thumbnails are interesting because they're pretty good, but also to see again just how much of the flow (or not) is due to McKean essentially ignoring directions and suggestions..
Old 11-04-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I also found a Wein/Wrightson Swamp Thing digest at the library, and managed to coincidentally reas single issues featuring werewolves and witches on the correct subset-theme day! Synchronicity...

Last edited by ntnon; 11-05-15 at 04:26 PM.