Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Which TMNT collection to get and other recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Which TMNT collection to get and other recommendations

All,
I've recently come to the realiziation that I am missing out by not reading more comics and graphic novels. I have begun acquiring some trades for stuff that I have seen or heard recommended over the years. So far I have read "A Death in the Family", "Death of Superman", "Wanted", and "V for Vendetta". Up next is "Batman: Year One" then 'Red Son". I loved the Turtles as a kid, and would like to read the original comics. Are the hardcover Ultimate Collections the ones to get? I am also interested in reading "From Hell" and "The League of Extraordianry Gentlemen", as well as any other books that may be recommended. I enjoy superhero stuff like Batman, Superman, and Spiderman but would like to expand upon that. Been curious about Deadpool especially given all the hype surrounding the new mvoie coming out. I also enjoy the books that incorporate historical and fictional characters, like "From Hell" and "Extraordinary Gentlemen". Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.
Old 09-13-15, 12:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Which TMNT collection to get and other recommendations

There are hundreds of books to recommend in every genre.

Three things you could maybe do to help yourself:

Have a tablet? Hordes of digital freebies at Dark Horse and Comixology.

Local library? Could have rows of options.

Local Barnes&Noble? Read a few pages of things that look good.
Old 09-13-15, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For TMNT specifically, IDW Publishing acquired the rights to TMNT a few years ago, and they released hardcover "Ultimate Collections" of the original run. There are five of these hardcovers total. They actually only collect the issues that were done by Eastman and Laird (the original creators). That's not a problem though because the overall story by Eastman and Laird is self-contained and doesn't require anything else. The issues not done by them aren't very good anyway.

IDW is also currently publishing a new TMNT series. I read some of it and it was okay but not great.
Old 09-13-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
There are hundreds of books to recommend in every genre.

Three things you could maybe do to help yourself:

Have a tablet? Hordes of digital freebies at Dark Horse and Comixology.

Local library? Could have rows of options.

Local Barnes&Noble? Read a few pages of things that look good.
If you had to recommend five titles to a newbie, what would they be?

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
For TMNT specifically, IDW Publishing acquired the rights to TMNT a few years ago, and they released hardcover "Ultimate Collections" of the original run. There are five of these hardcovers total. They actually only collect the issues that were done by Eastman and Laird (the original creators). That's not a problem though because the overall story by Eastman and Laird is self-contained and doesn't require anything else. The issues not done by them aren't very good anyway.

IDW is also currently publishing a new TMNT series. I read some of it and it was okay but not great.
Is this the first volume of what you are talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant...ate+collection ?
If so, it looks like there is a sixth volume forthcoming in November.
Old 09-13-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool

Is this the first volume of what you are talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant...ate+collection ?
If so, it looks like there is a sixth volume forthcoming in November.
Yes, that is the first volume. The TMNT Ultimate Collections are the way to go. A sixth volume is indeed being released.
Old 09-13-15, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Yes, that is the first volume. The TMNT Ultimate Collections are the way to go. A sixth volume is indeed being released.
Great! Thanks.
Old 09-13-15, 10:44 PM
Banned

Yeah, that is the first volume of the "Ultimate Collection" in the Amazon link. I didn't know they were releasing a sixth volume. Amazon has it listed for November release, but it doesn't say what it contains. The fifth volume was the end of the "City at War" storyarc which was the last TMNT story Eastman and Laird ever did, or at least I thought so. What is this mysterious sixth volume? Maybe they changed their minds and they are giving the same "Ultimate Collection" treatment to the rest of the series that wasn't done specifically by Eastman and Laird?
Old 09-13-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Start with Watchmen, it is all down hill from there. I would also get Planetary by Warren Ellis.

If you want to explore alternate histories, check out James Robinson's The Golden Age from DC.
Old 09-13-15, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that is the first volume of the "Ultimate Collection" in the Amazon link. I didn't know they were releasing a sixth volume. Amazon has it listed for November release, but it doesn't say what it contains. The fifth volume was the end of the "City at War" storyarc which was the last TMNT story Eastman and Laird ever did, or at least I thought so. What is this mysterious sixth volume? Maybe they changed their minds and they are giving the same "Ultimate Collection" treatment to the rest of the series that wasn't done specifically by Eastman and Laird?
"The Ultimate Collection returns! The celebrated hardcover series collecting all the most important TMNT work by Eastman and Laird is back to present the best of the one-shots and short stories. Whether handled as a team or on their own with another creator, these stories expand the universe of TMNT and established the characters and story lines that are today so loved and revered."
Old 09-13-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Start with Watchmen, it is all down hill from there. I would also get Planetary by Warren Ellis.

If you want to explore alternate histories, check out James Robinson's The Golden Age from DC.
Thanks for the recommendations. Saw the movie version of Watchmen and was greatly disappointed. I assume the book, as with most books that are made into films, is better? Both Planetary and The Golden Age seem right up my alley, and have been added to my to read list.
Old 09-13-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kodave
"The Ultimate Collection returns! The celebrated hardcover series collecting all the most important TMNT work by Eastman and Laird is back to present the best of the one-shots and short stories. Whether handled as a team or on their own with another creator, these stories expand the universe of TMNT and established the characters and story lines that are today so loved and revered."
I was under the impression that the first five Ultimate collections also included some extra stuff. For instance, volume one includes somehting they call "Raphael one-issue micro-series" between issues 3 and 4. Volume two includes micro-series for Michaelangelo, Donatello, and Leonardo.
Old 09-14-15, 12:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I was under the impression that the first five Ultimate collections also included some extra stuff. For instance, volume one includes somehting they call "Raphael one-issue micro-series" between issues 3 and 4. Volume two includes micro-series for Michaelangelo, Donatello, and Leonardo.
I believe that's correct and those issues were placed in the correct publishing or reading order, as if they were part of the regular series. They're not going to collect those again.

There were some TMNT anthology things where I think the short stories come from. I think it was called Shell Shock. And it will be stories by Eastman and/or Laird. They didn't have to collaborate on it for it to make this edition.

I think it's going to be a heavily padded book with lots of commentary/notes/whatever extras they can jam in there. IDW loves trying to find every way to milk every single penny out of TMNT fans. It's cool they're doing collections like the UCs, but they have no shame in trying to get money any way they can. They are a business after all.
Old 09-14-15, 01:17 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Here are some other TMNT collections I recommend:

Tales of the TMNT Vol. 1

Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2

TMNT: The River (OOP and a bit pricey used, you could also track down the individual issues, TMNT #24-26, and the never-collected #30)

TMNT Classics Vol. 3

TMNT Classics Vol. 4

Soul's Winter (not canon, but still a great story)

TMNT Classics Vol. 6

TMNT Classics Vol. 7

TMNT Classics Vol. 8

TMNT Classics Vol. 9

TMNT Classics Vol. 10

My suggested trade reading order would be:

TMNT: Ultimate Collection Vol.'s 1-3

Tales of the TMNT Vol's 1-2 (These are important stories, and they mostly take place during the earlier issues of the main series)

The River trade or alternatively TMNT Vol. 1 #24-26 (Writer/Artist Rick Veitch has refused to let his TMNT work be reprinted any more, because he's unhappy with the work-for-hire contracts he's been offered. So, best to hunt down his TMNT work, which in addition to this trilogy, also includes the Casey Jones 2-issue miniseries)

TMNT Classics Vol. 3 (the first two stories included within are canon and excellent, and the third one was at least meant to be canon)

TMNT Vol. 1 #30 (another Rick Veitch issue, this one has never been reprinted)

TMNT Classics Vol. 4 (while TMNT co-creator Peter Laird was uncertain about considering these canon, at least "The Ring" short story and "Twilight of the Ring" add a lot to the TMNT universe, and even anticipate elements of the often-hinted future of the Mirage Turtles)

Soul's Winter (not canon, but it was released roughly around the same time as the stories in TMNT Classics Vol. 4, so it makes sense to read it after you've read anything above. Very fascinating reimagining of the Turtles, Splinter, and Shredder.)

TMNT Classics Vol. 6-7 (the issues in Vol. 6 are more of the "could be canon but Laird is unsure" level of canonicity as Classics Vol. 4, but Vol. 7 is all canon and is worth reading)

TMNT: The Ultimate Collection Vol's 4-7 (City at War is perhaps the greatest TMNT story ever.)

TMNT Classics Vol.'s 8-10 (these collect the short-lived TMNT Vol. 2 series from Mirage. It is completely canon and worth checking out, even though it ends somewhat abruptly)

There also the TMNT Vol. 3 series which Peter Laird didn't really consider canon (as it had the Turtles suffering physical injuries, and was unfortunately cancelled before they could get healed), but many fans love for its character development. IDW plans to collect it next year.

And there's was TMNT Vol. 4 by Mirage, which was written by Laird and ironically, also altered the Turtles and has yet to receive a proper conclusion. I assume IDW will reprint fairly soon.

There was a Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2 series, which IDW has been collecting their Tales of the TMNT trades (from trade Vol. 3 onwards), but being an anthology series with multiple writers and many different artists, the quality is wildly inconsistent.

And if you want to check IDW's new TMNT universe, TMNT: The IDW Collection Vol's 1 and 2 are the best way to go.

Some other notes:

TMNT: The Ultimate Collection Vol. 6, from what I understand, will mostly include short stories done by Eastman, Laird, and other Mirage artists back in the day. Fun stuff, and worth having, but aside from "Complete Carnage an' Radical" introducing its eponymous characters, none of them really advance the series' narrative.

And other series I recommend:

Usagi Yojimbo is a beloved and acclaimed series mostly known outside the comic book world thanks to the crossovers Usagi has had with the Turtles in various mediums. UY: The Special Edition is a collection of the early Usagi stories published by Fantagraphics and other publishers in the 1980s and early 1990s, and it should include two Usagi/TMNT crossover shorts. The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol. 1 has all the Usagi issues that Mirage published (which started off with a three-issue arc guest starring the Turtles), plus the earliest issues from Dark Horse's still-ongoing run. The UY Saga Vol.'s 2-6 (and more in the future) should bring you up to speed.)

Also excellent, but in a some different way, is Savage Dragon, which has also crossed over with TMNT multiple times back in the day. Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 1, although in black-and-white, should give you an indication if the series is good for you or not. You should also seek out the SD/TMNT oneshot, which takes place right after the first TMNT guest appearance in SD; the TMNT/SD oneshot, which sets up the TMNT crossover included at the start of SD Archives Vol. 2; and maybe the SD/Destroyer Duck oneshot, which only has a brief cameo by the Turtles, but is interesting if you want to know more about Howard the Duck...

And then there's Cerebus, another series noted for its TMNT crossover, though I don't think the trades are on Amazon, and the series turns into a philosophical ramble towards the end, but I'm told the first half of so of its 300-issue run is good...
Old 09-14-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Aside from TMNT read Kick Ass and Secret Service.
Old 09-14-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
Here are some other TMNT collections I recommend:

Tales of the TMNT Vol. 1

Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2

TMNT: The River (OOP and a bit pricey used, you could also track down the individual issues, TMNT #24-26, and the never-collected #30)

TMNT Classics Vol. 3

TMNT Classics Vol. 4

Soul's Winter (not canon, but still a great story)

TMNT Classics Vol. 6

TMNT Classics Vol. 7

TMNT Classics Vol. 8

TMNT Classics Vol. 9

TMNT Classics Vol. 10

My suggested trade reading order would be:

TMNT: Ultimate Collection Vol.'s 1-3

Tales of the TMNT Vol's 1-2 (These are important stories, and they mostly take place during the earlier issues of the main series)

The River trade or alternatively TMNT Vol. 1 #24-26 (Writer/Artist Rick Veitch has refused to let his TMNT work be reprinted any more, because he's unhappy with the work-for-hire contracts he's been offered. So, best to hunt down his TMNT work, which in addition to this trilogy, also includes the Casey Jones 2-issue miniseries)

TMNT Classics Vol. 3 (the first two stories included within are canon and excellent, and the third one was at least meant to be canon)

TMNT Vol. 1 #30 (another Rick Veitch issue, this one has never been reprinted)

TMNT Classics Vol. 4 (while TMNT co-creator Peter Laird was uncertain about considering these canon, at least "The Ring" short story and "Twilight of the Ring" add a lot to the TMNT universe, and even anticipate elements of the often-hinted future of the Mirage Turtles)

Soul's Winter (not canon, but it was released roughly around the same time as the stories in TMNT Classics Vol. 4, so it makes sense to read it after you've read anything above. Very fascinating reimagining of the Turtles, Splinter, and Shredder.)

TMNT Classics Vol. 6-7 (the issues in Vol. 6 are more of the "could be canon but Laird is unsure" level of canonicity as Classics Vol. 4, but Vol. 7 is all canon and is worth reading)

TMNT: The Ultimate Collection Vol's 4-7 (City at War is perhaps the greatest TMNT story ever.)

TMNT Classics Vol.'s 8-10 (these collect the short-lived TMNT Vol. 2 series from Mirage. It is completely canon and worth checking out, even though it ends somewhat abruptly)

There also the TMNT Vol. 3 series which Peter Laird didn't really consider canon (as it had the Turtles suffering physical injuries, and was unfortunately cancelled before they could get healed), but many fans love for its character development. IDW plans to collect it next year.

And there's was TMNT Vol. 4 by Mirage, which was written by Laird and ironically, also altered the Turtles and has yet to receive a proper conclusion. I assume IDW will reprint fairly soon.

There was a Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2 series, which IDW has been collecting their Tales of the TMNT trades (from trade Vol. 3 onwards), but being an anthology series with multiple writers and many different artists, the quality is wildly inconsistent.

And if you want to check IDW's new TMNT universe, TMNT: The IDW Collection Vol's 1 and 2 are the best way to go.

Some other notes:

TMNT: The Ultimate Collection Vol. 6, from what I understand, will mostly include short stories done by Eastman, Laird, and other Mirage artists back in the day. Fun stuff, and worth having, but aside from "Complete Carnage an' Radical" introducing its eponymous characters, none of them really advance the series' narrative.

And other series I recommend:

Usagi Yojimbo is a beloved and acclaimed series mostly known outside the comic book world thanks to the crossovers Usagi has had with the Turtles in various mediums. UY: The Special Edition is a collection of the early Usagi stories published by Fantagraphics and other publishers in the 1980s and early 1990s, and it should include two Usagi/TMNT crossover shorts. The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol. 1 has all the Usagi issues that Mirage published (which started off with a three-issue arc guest starring the Turtles), plus the earliest issues from Dark Horse's still-ongoing run. The UY Saga Vol.'s 2-6 (and more in the future) should bring you up to speed.)

Also excellent, but in a some different way, is Savage Dragon, which has also crossed over with TMNT multiple times back in the day. Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 1, although in black-and-white, should give you an indication if the series is good for you or not. You should also seek out the SD/TMNT oneshot, which takes place right after the first TMNT guest appearance in SD; the TMNT/SD oneshot, which sets up the TMNT crossover included at the start of SD Archives Vol. 2; and maybe the SD/Destroyer Duck oneshot, which only has a brief cameo by the Turtles, but is interesting if you want to know more about Howard the Duck...

And then there's Cerebus, another series noted for its TMNT crossover, though I don't think the trades are on Amazon, and the series turns into a philosophical ramble towards the end, but I'm told the first half of so of its 300-issue run is good...
Damn. Thanks for that. Printed as well as saved for future reference.
Old 09-14-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrhan
Aside from TMNT read Kick Ass and Secret Service.
Both by Mark Millar? Added to my list, thanks.
Old 09-17-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also get Superior. Felt more like how a Superman story should be with a little violence thrown in.
Old 09-18-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Also get Superior. Felt more like how a Superman story should be with a little violence thrown in.
And another Mark Millar. Added to my list. Thank you.
Old 09-18-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I wouldn't get so gung-ho about reading Millar's stuff. Not everyone likes it. His comics all read like skimpy movie scripts. I find his stuff hit or miss, personally.

I forgot to add Mark Waid's Irredeemable. It's a great little riff on a Superman-like hero turning villain.
Old 09-18-15, 02:53 PM
Banned

I wouldn't get so gung-ho about reading Millar's stuff. Not everyone likes it. His comics all read like skimpy movie scripts. I find his stuff hit or miss, personally.
Yeah, the only two things Millar has written that I have read are The Ultimates and Old Man Logan. I thought both were very overrated. In my opinion, they're like the comic book equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. All flash and explosions and not much else.
Old 09-18-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the only two things Millar has written that I have read are The Ultimates and Old Man Logan. I thought both were very overrated. In my opinion, they're like the comic book equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. All flash and explosions and not much else.
The only ones I read are Kick Ass and Secret Service. I liked them both.
Old 09-19-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot to add Mark Waid's Irredeemable. It's a great little riff on a Superman-like hero turning villain.
I'm not necessarily "gung-ho" for Mark Millar. Each time someone suggests something, I check it out and if it sounds interesting to me, I put it on my list. it just happened that the last several titles that people have suggested that I thought were interesting were by him.

Your suggestion of Irredeemable sounds right in my wheelhouse. I really like those stories that take an existing story and turn it on its ear and ask "What if...?" For example, the next book in my stack is Red Son, which asks the question of "What if Superman landed in Russia rather than Kansas?". Just so happens that it is by Mark Millar.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by mrhan
The only ones I read are Kick Ass and Secret Service. I liked them both.
So far, I have only read Wanted and I liked that. I enjoyed the Kick Ass movies, though i have no doubt the books are better, and Secret Service is on my list. I am having a tough time finding it though. Do you know if it is available in a trade form, or only the individual comics?
Old 09-19-15, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The cover doesn't look like the copy I read....must have been printed when the movie was released.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingsman-Secre...ce+mark+millar
Old 09-20-15, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you. I must have past over that one in my Amazon search.