Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The First Annual DVDTalk Fantasy Comic Book Challenge - August 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 10:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: The First Annual DVDTalk Fantasy Comic Book Challenge - August 2015

Originally Posted by terrycloth
yeah i was mainly looking at GFT with SOOO much of it out there i figured there must be something good somewhere....cant all be sold on cartoon T&A alone right???
The little bit that I've read or browsed thru in book stores look completely mediocre to worse. If you want fairy tale comics, Fables is the best I've seen so far.
Originally Posted by JasonF
Some suggestions I haven't seen mentioned yet for anyone who's looking for things to read:

Skullkickers is a fun book about two mercenaries wandering through a fantasy world and kicking ass skull. Think Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, but with a humorous bent.

Tellos is just a good old-fashioned fantasy series with gorgeous art by Mike Weiringo

The Stuff of Legend is about a bunch of toys who go off on a quest to rescue their owner, who has been kidnapped y the boogeyman

Battlepug is a Conan pastiche where the hero rides a giant pug into battle. Awesome stuff.

Cerebus is a classic. It's not for everyone, but everyone ought to give the second volume ("High Society") a try to see if it's for them (creator Dave Sim was still figuring things out in the first volume, so it doesn't really reflect the tone of the rest of the series).

Warlord was created by Mike Grell in the 70s. It's about a U.S. fighter pilot who winds up in a fantasy land called Skataris. It's very much in the Edgar Rice Burroughs vein. The series has gone through ins and outs over the years, and various revivals weren't necessarily good, but the first few dozen issues from the 70s were amazing.

I'm not sure if Carl Barks' and Don Rosa's various Uncle Scrooge stories count, but they often had fantasy elements and were always great.
I sampled enough Cerebus to know I want to give it a serious run someday. I think I own the first two phone books, but they're in storage.

Yeah, much of the Barks/Rosa stuff would count, I really need to remember to read them next August.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I finally cracked open the first deluxe volume of Fables this weekend. I've read a few issues here and there of Fables but plan to start from the beginning.
Curious how it works for you. I'm up to collection 10 and am loving it. Not up to Swamp Thing or Sandman level, but close.
Old 08-10-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Fables has been interesting so far, I like the mix of characters and there is more depth to them than I expected. I'll be honest and say that non-superhero comics usually don't entertain me as much, which is why I've put off reading Fables from the beginning this long.
Old 08-10-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

As always, I have a ton of options and not enough time. I do have the first TPB volume of Fables and might finally read that since that seems to be what all the cool (?) kids are talking about.

Originally Posted by JasonF
Cerebus is a classic. It's not for everyone, but everyone ought to give the second volume ("High Society") a try to see if it's for them (creator Dave Sim was still figuring things out in the first volume, so it doesn't really reflect the tone of the rest of the series).

Warlord was created by Mike Grell in the 70s. It's about a U.S. fighter pilot who winds up in a fantasy land called Skataris. It's very much in the Edgar Rice Burroughs vein. The series has gone through ins and outs over the years, and various revivals weren't necessarily good, but the first few dozen issues from the 70s were amazing.

I'm not sure if Carl Barks' and Don Rosa's various Uncle Scrooge stories count, but they often had fantasy elements and were always great.
I have one giant volume of Cerebus and keep meaning to read it since everyone talks about it.

Warlord was actually my first read of this month, though I didn't get very far. I was a big fan during the floppy days and don't remember why I stopped reading, but it was probably a combination of my moving on from comics and the series going downhill. The first revival was fucking terrible, but the next one, which actually involved Grell, was pretty decent. I read some floppies then decided to wait for trades, but they only released one. I actually think there's a case to be made for reading Warlord last month, but there's enough crazy stuff going on for it to be comfortably in the fantasy realm.

I'm always a fan of the ducks and may try to shoehorn some in.
Old 08-10-15, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So i lost my tablets charger.....digital comics rears its ugly head
Old 08-10-15, 08:39 PM

Ouch! That's one reason why I decided to be mostly iOS only in my family. Between my wife, daughter, and myself, we have 5 iOS devices and with past upgrades, 8 or so cables and chargers. The iPhone adapters will charge iPads in a pinch (slowly).
Old 08-10-15, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Just got back from a cruise and had a chance to read a few Fables volumes; I'm enjoying it so far... that's one book that doesn't shy away from gutsy twists.
I read Grimm Fairy tales 1-3......

is there anything particular that may be worth reading? didnt enjoy 1-3
I liked Return to Wonderland and what Wonderland series books I'd read so far, the goriness\t&a felt senseless in parts but melded reasonably with surreal Wonderland canon and had a fair sense of world building. Fables is miles better but the Wonderlands series seems worth a browse for cheap thrills; however if you're not sold on Zenescope's/GFT's odd brand of schlocky/campy then I'm not sure Wonderland would do much to change your mind.
Old 08-11-15, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

That could be a problem. I often read regular comics when the power goes out in my home. Which is surprisingly often in the summer, since I live in an area with above-ground wiring and many trees that knock them down.
Old 08-25-15, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I've been working my way through Fables, currently on issue 109, and enjoyed it. Throughout the series a lot of pacing feels odd (for example (very mild spoilers),
Spoiler:
introducing an epic villain only to immediately sideline him for a few storylines or building up to a war for 60+ issues then having it last for less than 10)
. Going into it I expected more plot based action but it reads more like a fantasy 'slice of life' epic focusing more on the moments between action than the action itself. I admire that Fables doesn't pull any punches and isn't afraid of gutsy twists. Personally I feel like Fables hits it's prime closer to issue 90 and really lets loose.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Someone on another forum had this to say on my dismay over not owning the 'extra' Fables series:
I've really enjoyed the Jack of Fables stuff; the main character is intentionally obnoxious in an awkward way that doesn't really work but the plot and events are of a nicely epic scale introducing alternative fable characters and the meta elements (especially the literals) are handled with enough subtlety and humor that they seem well executed. The Great Fables Crossover nosedives some of those great elements from Jack of Fables into the ground with overly obvious plot that went on for too long dragging down both series and while never more then 'cute' overstayed even that. So far the biggest disappointment with the Fables canon for me was Cinderella: From Fabletown With Love, there's some cringe worthy dialogue and character dynamics that sink an otherwise interesting plot.
Old 08-29-15, 03:19 PM

I stalled big time; blaming my cruise. After averaging 5-10 books a day all month I've read pretty much zero in the last ten days.

September thread is up. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...er-2015-a.html