Founding Member of the X-Men comes out of the closet

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts
Founding Member of the X-Men comes out of the closet

Family Guy was right!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/ice...et#.bi7nlblXgz

Iceman, one of the founding members of the X-Men, is out of the closet.

In a few leaked pages from All-New X-Men #40, in stores on Wednesday, the teenage superhero is outed by his psychic teammate Jean Grey, who calls him out for saying inappropriately sexual things about their teacher, Magik.

The Iceman who is outed here is the teenage version of the character, who has been living in the present day with his time-traveling teammates. The older present-day Iceman we’ve known for years has been living as a straight man.

But young Iceman has a pretty good idea of why the older version of himself never came out of the closet.

“Maybe he couldn’t handle being a mutant and gay in a society that had issues with both?”

There’s been a lot of fan speculation over the years about Iceman’s sexuality, and several writers have hinted at this in print, but author Brian Michael Bendis has made this canon.

And suddenly Iceman – who has appeared in most of the X-Men movies and animated series – is the most famous LGBT superhero.

Hopefully this will push present-day Iceman out of the closet too, since the time-displaced X-Men are likely to go back to their era at the end of Bendis' run on the X-Men.

Bendis wasn’t thrilled to have the pages from All-New X-Men #40 leak in advance.

But he’s already getting praise from grateful fans who’ve been hoping to see more diversity in superhero comics.

Marvel issued this statement from Brian Michael Bendis about his decision to explore this aspect of Iceman in All-New X-Men.

"There are thousands if not millions of stories of people who, for many different reasons, felt the need to hide their sexuality. The X-Men, with the conceit of time travel, give us a fascinating platform in which to examine such personal journeys. This is just the first little chapter of a much larger story that will be told."
More panels from the comic at the link.
Old 04-21-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Founding Member of the X-Men comes out of the closet

Marvel is so utterly predictable. Do these announcements really drive sales? I guess it's the only way to get Iceman in the news.
Old 04-21-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Please enlighten me on who these X-Men are. I have no clue what's happening in the comics. Is there some cliff notes I can read online? I remember the teenage version I was reading back when was into Polaris until Havok complicated things.
Old 04-21-15, 03:01 PM

It says it in the article, but they're a time displaced version of the original X-men, currently in the modern timeline. What they seem to be trying to get at is that our Bobby Drake has been in the closet all this time, and the younger version of himself, now that Jean has exposed him, is going to ask him about it. I really don't have that much of a problem with Iceman coming out, but the question to me is, if it was so easy for young Jean to pull this from young Bobby's mind and confront him about it, why didn't it ever happen in the original continuity?
Old 04-21-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It says it in the article, but they're a time displaced version of the original X-men, currently in the modern timeline. What they seem to be trying to get at is that our Bobby Drake has been in the closet all this time, and the younger version of himself, now that Jean has exposed him, is going to ask him about it. I really don't have that much of a problem with Iceman coming out, but the question to me is, if it was so easy for young Jean to pull this from young Bobby's mind and confront him about it, why didn't it ever happen in the original continuity?
Yeah, I got that but do they interact with their older versions? How did it happen? If they are here does it change canon?

Time travel gives me a headache.
Old 04-21-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda wondering how present time Iceman is going to deal with this.
Old 04-21-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not really a fan of retroactively making existing characters gay, but then again I understand that it's also a common thing for people to deny things to themselves for some time and in this case it brings up a good relation as far as dealing with being a mutant as well as your sexuality at the same time so i'm impressed at the angle they took with it.
Old 04-21-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Isn't the idea that the older Iceman chooses not to be gay because he "couldn't handle" it so is really just straight ultimately more offensive? [...especially to GLBT people]

Also with Marvel's whole "Secret Wars" continuity destruction it's hardly cutting edge to take chances with characters on the eve of destruction (assuming such destruction will occur; even so retro X-men in present are stretching things as is)...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 04-21-15 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Also with Marvel's whole "Secret Wars" continuity destruction it's hardly cutting edge to take chances with characters on the eve of destruction (assuming such destruction will occur; even so retro X-men in present are stretching things as is)...
Yeah, remember Superman denounced his American citizenship and the uproar it caused in the media. Then like half a year later DC announces Flashpoint is rebooting everything. So that whole citizenship thing went nowhere and was completely forgotten.
Old 04-21-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

I assume he'll be gay in name only, but never actually touch another guy. Or if he does, certainly not a hairy guy with muscular legs and a beard.

As for Jean Gray not outing him decades ago, a telepath has to be polite about knowing everyone's deepest, most embarrassing secrets. She knows a lot of stuff about everyone that she isn't talking about.

[Edit: I just clicked on the link and saw the Disney Princess line. Yep, he'll go for the non-threatening David Bowie looking guys.]

Last edited by Nick Danger; 04-21-15 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Kinda wondering how present time Iceman is going to deal with this.
Yeah. Bobby has always been pretty much a ladies man. Guy loves the pussy..

Isn't the idea that the older Iceman chooses not to be gay because he "couldn't handle" it so is really just straight ultimately more offensive?
I think it is.

I wouldn't mind it if this young Iceman WENT gay cuz of his experiences in the modern or whatever. THAT would be interesting. But hiding it for all this time? Our Bobby being gay and being in closet after EVERYTHING we've seen them experience? That pisses me off.
Old 04-21-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Isn't the idea that the older Iceman chooses not to be gay because he "couldn't handle" it so is really just straight ultimately more offensive? [...especially to GLBT people]
Not to speak for anyone as i'm not gay myself, but I don't really see what's offensive about that (and the reactions mentioned in the article seem to be positive). I mentioned it in my post, but it seems pretty common for people to have trouble coming out. I don't see why it would be different for Iceman.
Old 04-21-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The first time I heard that Iceman might be gay was at the CBR forums and it was because of a cover where Mystique is kissing him and she's on top and people were saying that his pose was too passive and his hand was doing the stereotype gay gesture thing. I don't remember if they brought up anything else as evidence that he was gay.

I never grew up reading an X-Men comic that really featured Iceman so I don't have an opinion on it really.

Marvel's trying to make the X-Men more contemporary for modern readers and since there's still a fight over gay rights it makes sense. If you're not aware of editorial mandates, commercial considerations, and publicity necessity, you are more likely to accept these changes or revelations.

Last edited by brayzie; 04-21-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Not to speak for anyone as i'm not gay myself, but I don't really see what's offensive about that (and the reactions mentioned in the article seem to be positive). I mentioned it in my post, but it seems pretty common for people to have trouble coming out. I don't see why it would be different for Iceman.
Maybe not offensive but insulting to some fans. If you're a fan of Iceman from the X-Men comics, all those stories where he was in love or in a relationship with a woman turn out to be fake or not really love, at least when looked at in the context of continuity.
Old 04-21-15, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with that is the X Freaks have been pretty welcoming to whomever. They're probably the MOST understanding. ESPECIALLY in the past 7 years or so.
Old 04-21-15, 05:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

what's the big deal, I knew Ice Man was gay for decades.

Old 04-21-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brayzie
Maybe not offensive but insulting to some fans. If you're a fan of Iceman from the X-Men comics, all those stories where he was in love or in a relationship with a woman turn out to be fake or not really love, at least when looked at in the context of continuity.
Which is fine, but that's not what I was addressing. And as I said initially, I'm not a fan of retroactively changing a character's sexuality either largely for that reason.
Old 04-21-15, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I wouldn't mind it if this young Iceman WENT gay cuz of his experiences in the modern or whatever. THAT would be interesting. But hiding it for all this time? Our Bobby being gay and being in closet after EVERYTHING we've seen them experience? That pisses me off.
But experiences don't make you gay. Otherwise we could control who is gay and who isn't.

What is bizarre is Marvel doubling down on him being full on gay. In those panels they vaguely referenced the Kinsey Scale, which would have worked with Bobby being some level of bisexual. But nope. He's just full on gay apparently.
Old 04-21-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

When I first saw this thread I thought we were revisiting Morrison's run and the Beast thing again. Like Emma wouldn't have revealed Bobby to the world much earlier. Heck she debunked Hank's claims by invading his mind even as she was setting off to ruin Scott's marriage.
Old 04-21-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
...it seems pretty common for people to have trouble coming out. I don't see why it would be different for Iceman.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
...But hiding it for all this time? Our Bobby being gay and being in closet after EVERYTHING we've seen them experience?...
Maybe I'm looking too directly at what is written but my understanding is that ONLY time traveling teenage Iceman is somehow gay and that the modern incarnation we have known over the years is still straight. I find this to be silly and even insulting in it's approach to sexuality (suggesting old Iceman just chose to be straight because of the stigma... and so is actually not gay). Also it seems obvious that the time traveling teenage X-men are fading away back to the past where Iceman will seemingly 'un-gay' himself into the Iceman we have come to know over the years; it's a sort of pointless basically non-canon (or if canon still moot) wink at diversity... Or am I overlooking something?

Last edited by Undeadcow; 04-21-15 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 09:32 PM

Maybe I'm looking too directly at what is written but my understanding is that ONLY time traveling teenage Iceman is somehow gay and that the modern incarnation we have known over the years is still straight. I find this to be silly and even insulting in it's approach to sexuality (suggesting old Iceman just chose to be straight because of the stigma... and so is actually not gay). Also it seems obvious that the time traveling teenage X-men are fading away back to the past where Iceman will seemingly 'un-gay' himself into the Iceman we have come to know over the years; it's a sort of pointless basically non-canon (or if canon still moot) wink at diversity... Or am I overlooking something?
This panel in particular seems to imply that the continuity Iceman could also be gay, and still in the closet.

Old 04-21-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Is he going to change his name to Assman?
Old 04-21-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Just from seeing those panels, it seems like it would be a dick move to out somebody by using your psychic powers.
Old 04-21-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

*Yawn* Next comic 'controversy'
Old 04-21-15, 10:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Just from seeing those panels, it seems like it would be a dick move to out somebody by using your psychic powers.
It seems like it would be a pretty fundamental violation of someone's trust.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.