Superman's New Haircut

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Superman's New Haircut

Old 03-11-15, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Superman's New Haircut

Originally Posted by fujishig
That was because Donner had to change the ending... IIRC Superman 2 was originally going to end with Superman 1's ending, the whole reverse time thing (which is also silly, but I still contend that it was just a visible representation of Silver Age Supes ability to go back in time, and not really reversing the spin of the Earth). But that still isn't as stupid as throwing the super shield, or "rebuilding the great wall of china" vision.

So I assume he's used this new power in the comics to vanquish some super foe or something? It's like Human Torch's nova blast?
Wasn't the super amnesia kiss something Lester did? I thought it was. The Donner Cut of the movie got rid of the kiss and replaced it with the spinning Earth reverse time thing. So both Superman I and the Donner Cut of Superman II have the same ending with Superman reversing time to fix things...

Originally Posted by brayzie
I was finally going to give the new 52 a try but they're altering these characters so much from the original conceptions that they're becoming unrecognizable. Why not just create new characters?
I haven't read much of the New 52 myself, but I was under the impression that Superman (under Morrison's Action Comics at least) was very close to the original concept of the character. Morrison restored the social crusader Superman of the 1930s/40s.
Old 03-11-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I was finally going to give the new 52 a try but they're altering these characters so much from the original conceptions that they're becoming unrecognizable. Why not just create new characters?
Because new characters from Marvel and DC don't sell at all.

The new hair partially resembles the design from Japanese collectibles company Kotobukiya for Superman.

Old 03-11-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Wasn't the super amnesia kiss something Lester did? I thought it was. The Donner Cut of the movie got rid of the kiss and replaced it with the spinning Earth reverse time thing. So both Superman I and the Donner Cut of Superman II have the same ending with Superman reversing time to fix things...
Yeah. Amnesia kiss was under Lester's watch. When focus shifted to hitting the first film's release date, Donner's team "borrowed" the SM2 ending and tacked it onto SM1 with expectations to come up with another ending for SM2 once they got back to work on it. But then Donner was fired and the whole story was shifted around to make it a Lester film.

Boom! Retcon Kiss!

I haven't read much of the New 52 myself, but I was under the impression that Superman (under Morrison's Action Comics at least) was very close to the original concept of the character. Morrison restored the social crusader Superman of the 1930s/40s.
Kinda sorta. At least the first few issues were. Then it got wrapped up in a complex, Morrison-esque story that needs to be read a couple of times to fully grasp.

DC did stick with Clark being the social crusader for awhile tho. He quit the Planet and started his own blog to talk about social injustice and whatnot.
Old 03-11-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Yeah, I meant it was originally Donner's idea to use that as the ending for II instead of I, and Lester took over and the kiss became the resolution, sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-11-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Yeah, the "kiss" was stupid, but nowhere near as stupid as turning the world backwards to turn back time.

I frankly hated that when I saw it as a kid, and I hate it even more now.

It also bothered that Superman never bothered to do anything about the other missile, and just saved Lois.
Old 03-11-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the other missile went into space. In the Donner Superman II cut, it's the missile that unleashes Zod and his crew from the Phantom Zone. It was supposed to be a plot point but again, that all got thrown out with Donner.
Old 03-12-15, 12:15 PM
Banned

In addition to the haircut, Superman and Wonder Woman are getting new costumes too.

I know Superman had that t-shirt and jeans look back during Morrison's run since that was an origin story before he got the "real" Superman costume, but I wonder why the t-shirt and jeans are coming back.

The Bat-Bunny armor looks stupider every time I see it. It's freaking enormous too. I didn't know it was supposed to be that big until I saw that last pic. Are they trying to copy the Hulkbuster armor or something? Is this supposed to be Supermanbuster armor or something?

This whole thing reminds me of the 90s when everyone was getting radical new costumes. We know how long that crap lasted... DC and Marvel never learn their lessons.
Old 03-12-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Maybe it's too early to tell but is the hint that at least with Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman the biggest result of Convergence is a new costume? Maybe the solicitations are just guarded/limited and Wonder Woman does mention a "daring new direction."

I hate the new anime hulk robo-Batman look...
Old 03-12-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hurm.
Old 03-12-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Convergence was supposed to result in the continuing new 52, plus another continuity (the old one?) Or did I dream that up?

That looks like pre-Flashpoint Superboy all grown up. Are we sure that's even Kal? I'll say this for them, they're definitely not changing costumes for the sake of making it easier to make live action movies.
Old 03-12-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Now I don't know about you but this SCREAMS "World's Greatest Superhero" to me!
Old 03-12-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Short-haired Superman looks like a dick.

And Wonder Woman has faux Wolverine claws.

That Batsuit looks like it came from a Donnie Darko anime.
Old 03-12-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Wow those costumes are beyond douchery!
Old 03-12-15, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mecha-Bat has police lights, for whatever that is worth.
Old 03-13-15, 01:01 AM

Old 03-13-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Hurm.
That was my same reaction.

Wonder Woman gets the most sensible new costume, I believe this is one of the designs possibly tested by Hollywood. It's no secret that DC and Warner want to strip the American motifs and any remnants that smack of being a swimsuit out of her costume, for the mass female and global audience. They want to "transition" her brand into a global property and away from the character's roots.

The Superman and Batman costumes are so ridiculous that virtually everyone must realize they won't last more than a few issues. As a DC purist I would still prefer a more traditional WW costume but I realize they don't care anymore about older fans. That one could hang around a while.
Old 03-13-15, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

As a long time comic book fan, I don't care one way or another. Comics change like the wind.
Old 03-13-15, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kodave
Mecha-Bat has police lights, for whatever that is worth.
Ha. I didn't even notice the red and blue police lights on his chest until you mentioned it. That's hilarious. A vigilante with police lights...

He also has a rocket launcher on his shoulder. There was a previous pic (below) that showed him with a gun. (I also just noticed the police lights in that pic too.)

The gun and rocket launcher make me think this might not be Bruce Wayne. Snyder said this new armor is supposed to be the new status quo following his current EndGame storyarc, so I wonder if Bruce is going to "die" and be replaced by a Jean Paul Valley type of character once again. However, Snyder also said that this new status quo is something that has never been done before in Batman's 75 year history, so I don't know. Maybe it's Joker in the armor. Or Bugs Bunny since it has rabbit ears.

Old 03-13-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
As a long time comic book fan, I don't care one way or another. Comics change like the wind.
I feel the same way. I actually kind of like the Wonder Woman costume (minus the silly blades) and we all know that whatever that Batman thing is isn't actually Batman, or at the very least isn't going to permanently replace what we think of as Batman. The Superman outfit is dumb, but you know it won't last and, let's be honest, despite being DC's flagship property, Superman is a tough sell. When was the last time Superman comics mattered on any sort of industry-wide level? The early 90's? I'm surprised they don't try more crazy crap with him.
Old 03-13-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Superman had a few books sell out since the glory Doomsday days but nothing even close to those numbers. So yeah, he hasn't really mattered since then. It's something even DC realizes (see the Infinite Crisis conversation between Batman and Superman - "The last time you inspired anyone was when you died."). They're going through all the channels to make Superman "relevant" again. Taking more risks that older fanboys really really hate which spawns the age-old argument "If you wanted the "classic" Superman, you should have bought more books."

Even when "superstar" talent takes on the character, it's barely a blip in sales. Johns, Romita Jr, Waid, JMS, Morrison, Robinson. They've all had a hand with the character and sales only notch up a tiny bit. Tho to me, it felt like Johns recent arc was phoned in.
Old 03-13-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That was my same reaction.

Wonder Woman gets the most sensible new costume, I believe this is one of the designs possibly tested by Hollywood. It's no secret that DC and Warner want to strip the American motifs and any remnants that smack of being a swimsuit out of her costume, for the mass female and global audience. They want to "transition" her brand into a global property and away from the character's roots.

The Superman and Batman costumes are so ridiculous that virtually everyone must realize they won't last more than a few issues. As a DC purist I would still prefer a more traditional WW costume but I realize they don't care anymore about older fans. That one could hang around a while.
Actually, I think the WW costume looks overly complicated, at least in Finch's rendering (I've never been a big fan). I think mainly it's the stars on her side, the loin cloth, and the gigantic boots, because the other picture of her with supes from the waist up looks fine to me.

If that is Kal, is Clark going into hiding, or going to wear a wig or something?
Old 03-13-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's rumored that DC and by extension WB heavily control what a comic book writer may do with Superman in the comics. I've heard of committees deciding these things, which is why big-name writers will come on board and then leave after a short period. He's a corporate-managed brand by this point.

The real problem with radically changing Superman as a character is that it affects the rest of the DC line in a way no other character could, including Batman. DC has been pretty good about compartmentalizing what goes on in Gotham away from the rest of the DC universe. It's far harder to do with the world's most famous superhero.
Old 03-13-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What committee greenlit World of Krypton? Or the "walking the Earth" JMS run?
Old 03-13-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Flash and Arrow get the costume tweak also

Old 03-13-15, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
What committee greenlit World of Krypton? Or the "walking the Earth" JMS run?
I call it "Forrest Gump" Superman.

Originally Posted by stingermck
Flash and Arrow get the costume tweak also
Those don't look bad. I wonder if Aquaman will get a costume more similar to the Jason Momoa Aquaman that was recently revealed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.