DC Comics announces that Catwoman is bisexual

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 02-27-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...isexual-778030
After 75 years, Selina Kyle is finally coming out of the closet.

In the latest issue of the DC Comics' Catwoman comic book series — No. 39, released this week — Kyle kisses another woman, ending decades of fan rumors and speculation by stating canonically that the character is, in fact, bisexual.

Writer Genevieve Valentine, who took over the series in October, wrote on her blog that establishing Selina Kyle as “canon bisexual” was an “indispensable” beat she always had intended to hit in the series.

“She’s flirted around it — often quite literally — for years now,” wrote Valentine. “For me, this wasn’t a revelation so much as a confirmation.”

I guess DC has decided stooping to Marvel's level helps sells comics. I am not a fan of changes like this after decades of characterization. Yes, I realize we will probably get some fantastic pin-up art out of this development. I wonder if this sticks with other writers.
Old 02-27-15, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: DC Comics announces that Catwoman is bisexual

Was there not suggestion/hinting/flirting with this with Selina's close relationships to other woman, especially Harley and Ivy?

Overall, it really won't matter or shake things up. If Selina wants to classify herself as bisexual, she could go on to date/hook up with men for the rest of her life after whatever this current situation with a woman is, and consider herself "bisexual" if she wants to. Sexuality can be on a gradient and is fluid for some people.

Maybe it'll get dropped in the future, maybe it will be a lasting fixture. My take is that I don't care. I'd rather Selina's relationships, whether with men or women, make sense for the story and be well written. And overall this particular development seems to be a minor drop in the bucket in terms of trying to give comics more diversity.
Old 02-27-15, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Anything that will make their dying brand of comics more relevant. Or maybe this isn't an editorial dictate in order to make headlines and the writer is just adding something that seems like the character's natural progression. I think in this case it may be the latter.

It's not a big deal to me since Catwoman has seemed for a while like someone who would explore their sexuality. It's not even the same Catwoman from the 40s, 60s or even early 80s. Whereas once she was an airline stewardess who moonlighted as a jewel thief, Frank Miller changed her background to being a prostitute/dominatrix. I grew up with the Miller version but I don't think it was a good idea to retcon Selina into being a prostitute and a victim of an abusive pimp.

Now if they changed Wonder Woman to being lesbian or bisexual, I think that would be a bad idea because it seems like it would either be pandering to her gay fan base, or perpetuating a stereotype that people are gay because of environment (tough woman raised in an all-female society must be gay).

I think I remember it being hinted that Harley and Ivy had something going on and that Harley invited Catwoman in on the action but that Catwoman declined. It was either in Harley's first series or in Gotham City Sirens.
Old 02-27-15, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Wait... since when does DC even have "canon"? Does this story come before or after their upcoming continuity reboot following Convergence?

Retcon in 3... 2...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 02-27-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-27-15, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

So Catwoman is basically every woman who has had like three drinks?

I'm shocked that a woman who dresses up as a black leather cat and has a semi abusive relationship with a millionaire who beats people up while wearing his own weirdo gear might dip into the lady pool.
Old 02-27-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

...and the takeaway from this is that DC objects to Batwoman marrying her female partner, but it's okay for Catwoman to swing both ways because it titillates the boys without being threatening to their fragile masculinity.
Old 02-27-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Yeah, a bigger deal would be if a major male hero (on Catwoman's popularity level) were bi, but given the demographics I don't think that's happening in DC anytime soon.
Old 02-27-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
So Catwoman is basically every woman who has had like three drinks?
Not my girlfriend... I've tried.
Old 02-27-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, a bigger deal would be if a major male hero (on Catwoman's popularity level) were bi, but given the demographics I don't think that's happening in DC anytime soon.
Dick Grayson as Nightwing always sort of pinged my gaydar.
Old 02-28-15, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Anything that will make their dying brand of comics more relevant. Or maybe this isn't an editorial dictate in order to make headlines and the writer is just adding something that seems like the character's natural progression. I think in this case it may be the latter.

It's not a big deal to me since Catwoman has seemed for a while like someone who would explore their sexuality. It's not even the same Catwoman from the 40s, 60s or even early 80s. Whereas once she was an airline stewardess who moonlighted as a jewel thief, Frank Miller changed her background to being a prostitute/dominatrix. I grew up with the Miller version but I don't think it was a good idea to retcon Selina into being a prostitute and a victim of an abusive pimp.

Now if they changed Wonder Woman to being lesbian or bisexual, I think that would be a bad idea because it seems like it would either be pandering to her gay fan base, or perpetuating a stereotype that people are gay because of environment (tough woman raised in an all-female society must be gay).

I think I remember it being hinted that Harley and Ivy had something going on and that Harley invited Catwoman in on the action but that Catwoman declined. It was either in Harley's first series or in Gotham City Sirens.
I bought Batman Year One when it came out. It sounds like Catwoman is the token "sexually different" character. Every few years they change what the difference is.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-28-15 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
As Nightwing? What about his Robin costume? Still the only male DC hero to be raped by a woman, that I know of.
Old 02-28-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

...and the takeaway from this is that DC objects to Batwoman marrying her female partner, but it's okay for Catwoman to swing both ways because it titillates the boys without being threatening to their fragile masculinity.
I don't think that Batwoman getting married threatens male readers' masculinity. I think two reasons were possibly at play: 1) being they may not have want to get into the political controversy of gay marriage. Corporations try to stay away from controversy when it threatens their brand or profit margins, and/or 2) they don't want to marry and "age" a character. They rebooted the universe just so Superman wouldn't be married anymore. Marvel made a deal with the Devil in order for Spider-man not to be married anymore.
Old 03-01-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow. DC is really scraping the bottom of the barrel to up sales. Who didn't know this about Catwoman?
Old 03-01-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts

I didn't know that Marvel un-married Peter Parker and Mary Jane. Oh well, I kind of liked the McFarlane era where Peter was doing well in grad school and married to a super-hot model. Dorky teenage boy grows up into a successful man. The black suit was ugly, but mistakes were unmade.
Old 03-01-15, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... I thought we already knew this news?
Old 03-01-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are so many Batman and Robin gay jokes out there....