Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Returning to comics after 2 1/2 years - Please help with pull list

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning to comics after 2 1/2 years - Please help with pull list

Hi All,

I've been collecting comics on and off for many many years, but have been away for the last 2 1/2 years or so. I've decided to get back into them, and even though I will be picking up some trades, I really like the instant gratification of monthlies too. But considering I've been away a while, looking with help on my pull list. I'd like to cut titles that I'd be completely lost on, and include titles that I may be forgetting or not know about.

One thing worth mentioning is that we relocated to Europe about 2 1/2 years ago, so getting them here is more expensive, so I'm trying to keep this list reasonable. I'm not a huge fan of reading comics online - I really do prefer to have something I can hold and look at and collect.

I'm a big Marvel, DC, Image, and Independent fan, with leanings toward superhero, horror, and some sci-fi. I'm a big Batman and X-Men fan (have been since the mid-80's) but also liver quirky things like Morrison's Doom Patrol. I really don't have much interest in Ultimate universes nor comics about teen superheros deciding on who they should date. So, without further ado, here's my list. Any help or suggestions would sure be appreciated!

GROO FRIENDS AND FOES #3
CONAN THE AVENGER #12
CONVERGENCE #0 *Special Discount*
JUSTICE LEAGUE #40
AQUAMAN #40
FLASH #40
SUPERMAN #40
ACTION COMICS #40
BATMAN ARKHAM KNIGHT #1 *Special Discount*
GRAYSON #8
DETECTIVE COMICS #40
HARLEY QUINN #16
GREEN LANTERN #40
COFFIN HILL #16 (MR)
SUICIDERS #2 (MR)
CHRONONAUTS #1 CVR A MURPHY & HOLLINGSWORTH (MR) *Special Discount*
DESCENDER #1 (MR) *Special Discount*
BEYOND BELIEF #1 CVR A HESTER *Special Discount*
BIRTHRIGHT TP VOL 01 HOMECOMING (MR) *Special Discount*
NAMELESS #2 (MR)
SECRET IDENTITIES #2
WYTCHES #6 (MR)
ZERO #15 CVR A BERTRAM & MULLER (MR)
UNCANNY X-MEN #33
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #16
STAR WARS #3
ALL NEW HAWKEYE #1 *Special Discount*
CAPTAIN MARVEL #13
SUPERIOR IRON MAN #6
DAREDEVIL #14
BLACK HOOD #2 REG FRANCAVILLA CVR (MR) *Special Discount*
DARK GODS #5 (MR)
GOD IS DEAD #30 CARNAGE WRAP CVR (MR)
CROSSED BADLANDS #73 TORTURE CVR (MR)
CROSSED BADLANDS #74 TORTURE CVR (MR)
TAROT WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE #91 (MR)
GFT LITTLE MERMAID #2 (OF 5) A CVR BENES (MR)
GFT ROBYN HOOD ONGOING #8 A CVR DELARA
GFT TALES OF TERROR #9 A CVR CAFARO (MR)
ZOMBIES VS CHEERLEADERS 2015 ST PATTYS DAY #1 CVR A MILLER (
NINJAK #1 CVR B MANN (NEXT) *Special Discount*
X-O MANOWAR #34 CVR B MOLINA
Old 02-01-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Returning to comics after 2 1/2 years - Please help with pull list

To save money i dropped a lot of dc titles from my pull bc they release trades fairly timely
Birthright is a fun read ( based on your interest might wanna check out ghosted w same writer)
God is dead started off as a 6 part mini series which was enjoyable but fell off in quality
Coffin hill i also dropped
Crossed +100 im pulling and dropped badlands
Some titles u might be interested in
Bitchlanet
Starlight
Sex
Saga
Old 02-01-15, 10:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Do you own a tablet? If so you should at least check out the hundreds of freebies on Dark Horse and Comixology. I'm slowly switching to digital only after years of saying 'digital is stupid, I need to hold my books' and it's a wonderful thing.
Old 02-02-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't have an iPad or a tablet, but I can't help but think that it'd be cumbersome. It's not like a regular book, even if you can zoom in on stuff, it would be different turning it for double-page spreads, weird layouts, etc. Obviously, it's the future, I just think it'd take some getting used to.
Old 02-02-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Layouts are a problem, depending on which viewer is being used, but it's much less cumbersome than having boxes of individual issues bagged and boarded.

I love Groo, and it's largely self contained, but I'd have a hard time starting in the middle of a mini series instead of just waiting for the trade. But then I'm probably part of the problem. But especially because you've missed the last two and a half years, you'd have no problem finding content to read every week without doing so many monthlies, but hey, someone's gotta prop up the industry...
Old 02-03-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I don't have an iPad or a tablet, but I can't help but think that it'd be cumbersome. It's not like a regular book, even if you can zoom in on stuff, it would be different turning it for double-page spreads, weird layouts, etc. Obviously, it's the future, I just think it'd take some getting used to.
For my money, double page spreads are the only downside to a tablet. I still prefer physical copies (trades and hardcovers, no more floppies) for canon worthy material; but for stuff that would otherwise be read once and thrown into a long box? The tablet is the only option as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-03-15, 01:46 PM
Banned

Yeah, double page spreads suck on a tablet.

The dimensions of a comic book are 10.25" x 6.5".
The dimensions of the screen on a full size iPad are 7.75" x 5.75".

The iPad comes fairly close to being a 1:1 ratio when dealing with a single page, but a double page spread is reduced significantly. Remember that a double page spread doubles the width so the dimensions are actually 13" x 10.25". Reducing that to the iPad's screen size is just too much reduction. (And that's on a full size iPad... small tablets are even worse...)

There are some 12" tablets out now like the Surface Pro 3, and Samsung has a 12" tablet out now too. Those are very close to being 1:1 with single pages, but unfortunately double page spreads are always going to suck on a tablet.

Another thing to consider is that double page spreads also suck with trade paperbacks. Since trades have a glued binding instead of being stapled like a floppy, you end up with "gutter loss" in the middle. This really sucks with double page spreads because the middle of the spread tends to get lost in the middle of the binding.

Really the only time double page spreads actually work well is with floppies. With trades you are getting gutter loss, and with digital you are getting an image that is far too small. Only floppies actually do double page spreads well.

The pics below are one really bad example of how trade paperbacks can ruin a double page spread, and unfortunately this happens far too often with trades. The first pic is how it should look. The second and third pics are how it looks in the trade.

Last edited by taffer; 02-03-15 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that's terrible, and that's not even an omnibus, just a regular hardcover. Inexcusable.
Old 02-03-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wow, that's terrible, and that's not even an omnibus, just a regular hardcover. Inexcusable.
An omnibus would actually be better than that because the bindings are sewn signatures rather than glued pages. At least that's the case with the Marvel ones. Full bleed artwork will never work well with a glued binding unless there is excess inner margin in the printed pages. Even then, it's can be difficult to get 2-page spreads to match up correctly with a mass produced book like this.
Old 02-03-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some of the DC ones, at least in the earlier days, were terrible in this regard:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/...omnibus-issue/

though apparently the newer ones are better. I haven't gotten around to cracking open my gigantic John's JSA omnibus to see for myself, maybe I'll do that today.
Old 02-05-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Looking at the list, this is what I would recommend:

GRAYSON #8:
The Grayson story has been awesome. Nightwing, the book this one is a direct sequel of, was excellent as well. Probably one of the few DC books that is not bogged down with all the BS in that universe.

CHRONONAUTS #1 CVR A MURPHY & HOLLINGSWORTH (MR) *Special Discount*:
Mark Millar can be hit or miss with his writing, but Sean Murphy is absolutely the reason to by this book. He is easily in the top 3 of the best artists out there right now. The story itself does like good.

DESCENDER #1 (MR) *Special Discount*:
This is a winning team with a winning idea. The book is due out in a few weeks, but Lemire has a great track record, as does Dustin Nguyen.

BIRTHRIGHT TP VOL 01 HOMECOMING (MR) *Special Discount*:
The first issue of this one has such a huge twist, if you aren't hooked something is wrong. Josh Williamson is an excellent writer and this is the perfect story for him to flex his powers on. It is Lord Of The Rings meets House Of Cards, in my opinion.

WYTCHES #6 (MR)
Scott Snyder takes a rather pedestrian idea and turns it on it's head. Jock's art only enhances the story, which much like Birthright, either hooks you right away or will not be anything for you to read.

ZERO #15 CVR A BERTRAM & MULLER (MR):
This might be my favorite book out there now. It is such a cool story about a secret agent, but with the rotating art teams, it give you the mission to mission feel. It really does all connect together. The art is a major selling point and the story plays out a lot like a great Bond movie, easily Image's best book.

ALL NEW HAWKEYE #1 *Special Discount*:
Fraction's Hawkeye is ending, but this is going to be a new take by the great Jeff Lemire. This is going to delve into Hawkeye's past, so this should be worth while.

DAREDEVIL #14:
I am a huge Daredevil fan and while I was unsure of Mark Waid making Daredevil not so dark, this is one of the best (if not the best) book Marvel has on the shelves today. Waid and Chris Samnee are leaving the book soon, but it is expect to have another high quality team take over.

Other recommendations:

Outcast - Demonic possession told by Robert Kirkman, need I say more?

Nailbiter - Excellent serial killer story by Josh Williamson...think Dexter the comic

Rocket Raccoon - Skottie Young kills it on this one with such a cool indy style take on a huge character.