Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

First we had Archie Meets Punisher...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First we had Archie Meets Punisher...

...now we have Archie Meets Predator

(And no, it's not Chris Hansen. It's the Predator alien from the 80s Arnold movie.)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56135

The wholesome teenage fun of Archie Comics, entertaining audiences for nearly 75 years. The unrelenting alien hunters of "Predator," first seen on the big screen in 1987. Add them together and you get "Alien Meets Predator," a joint production of Archie and long-time Predator license-holder Dark Horse Comics scheduled for spring 2015, revealed Thursday by USA Today. It's a story that series writer Alex de Campi proudly calls "completely insane."

"Let's take this gentle, beloved, classic teen cast and hunt them down and slaughter them one by one," de Campi told USA Today. "Seriously, if you wouldn't jump at the chance to write something like this, you need your head examined."

The series starts during a spring break trip to Costa Rica for Archie and the gang, when the aftermath of a fight between Betty and Veronica catches the attention of the titular Predator -- though the action does move back to Riverdale during the course of the four-issue miniseries, which will be illustrated by Archie veteran Fernando Ruiz.

"For me, having Fernando on the book is crucial, because he brings this air of fun and light and innocence to the characters, so the story becomes more like a 'Final Destination' film where you never see or expect the dreadful thing coming until it happens," de Campi said. "He has the most beautiful, easy, fluid line with these characters -- he'll really sell the interpersonal dramas that get the story rolling, and I know he'll have fun with some of the gory stuff, too."

de Campi disclosed that she takes much of her inspiration for the Archie characters from mid-1940s comics, seeing Betty as "somewhat fragile obsessive" and Veronica as a "slightly thoughtless socialite." Archie supporting players Cheryl Blosson, Dilton, Ethel and Sabrina are all said to play a part in the unexpected pairing.

Shedding its reputation for playing it safe, not only is "Archie Meets Predator" the latest in attention-getting moves from Archie Comics -- a major recent one being the "Death of Archie" story that concluded "Life with Archie" -- it's also in the traditional of bizarre Archie team-ups that started with 1994's "Archie Meets the Punisher" crossover with Marvel Comics, and continued in 2011's "Archie Meets KISS."
I used to read Archie when I was a kid in the 80s, but I haven't read any since then. Some of the stuff they have been doing lately sounds really bizarre. Wasn't there also a recent story with Archie in a zombie apocalypse?

If I remember right, in the story where Archie met Punisher, Punisher had him confused with someone who looked like a drug dealer. I wonder why the Predator will be chasing Archie? I thought it was established that Predators are hunters who only hunt people who look threatening and/or are armed with weapons.
Old 10-09-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: First we had Archie Meets Punisher...

Originally Posted by taffer
And no, it's not Chris Hansen.
Old 10-09-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Afterlife With Archie is a great ongoing series. A lot darker and more fun than I expected it to be.

Lately, Archie Comics has really been taking steps to pull themselves out of the "kiddie" field to get noticed. First with Kevin Keller then his gay wedding; Afterlife With Archie; (Alternate) Archie's death in Life With Archie; the new line of superhero comics from their Dark Circle imprint; this week's new Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. With all the behind the scenes drama going on at their upper levels, it's interesting seeing where the company is going. Or trying to go.
Old 10-09-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts