Rumored ending to Spider-Verse SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumored ending to Spider-Verse SPOILERS

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...f-spider-gwen/

Spoiler:
So supposedly Peter is going to get lost in an alternate reality, and Spider-Gwen becomes the new Spider-Person in the comics.

We just had the whole Spider-Ock Superior Spider-Man. Peter has been back less than a year, and they are replacing him yet again?

So Thor and Spider-Man are both getting replaced with girls?

Old 10-03-14, 02:16 PM
Banned

Re: Rumored ending to Spider-Verse SPOILERS

Did you read about One Moment in Time? That is the follow-up story to One More Day to explain why Peter and MJ never got married.

Spoiler:
Peter was knocked out when a fat guy falls on him, and that caused him to miss his wedding. Seriously. He was knocked out because a fat guy fell on him. Here is Spider-Man who regularly gets punched by supervillains with super-strength, and a fat guy falling on him knocks him out. Yeah, Marvel is just deliberately trolling us at this point.

Old 10-03-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d2XdmyBtCRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-03-14, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...f-spider-gwen/

Spoiler:
So supposedly Peter is going to get lost in an alternate reality, and Spider-Gwen becomes the new Spider-Person in the comics.

We just had the whole Spider-Ock Superior Spider-Man. Peter has been back less than a year, and they are replacing him yet again?

So Thor and Spider-Man are both getting replaced with girls?

I'd still take that with a grain of salt.

If true though, it does seem like a poorly timed move given how long Peter has been back.

However, people want more S-G so this is how Marvel might want to deliver and sorta bring back yet another long dead character.
Old 10-03-14, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kodave
I'd still take that with a grain of salt.

If true though, it does seem like a poorly timed move given how long Peter has been back.

However, people want more S-G so this is how Marvel might want to deliver and sorta bring back yet another long dead character.
Ah hell. I never even thought of the implications that this might be how Marvel kinda revives yet another long dead character.
Old 10-03-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I imagine that Marvel is not calling all the shots anymore. Both Warner and Disney realize the best way to successfully establish a character intended for mass consumption is by introducing them first to the hardcore fan comic book community through the actual comics. I've seen fanboys willingly accept almost anything if Marvel or DC publish it in continuity. Both Marvel and DC are little more than vanity presses now, so their corporate parents can make movies and television shows.

Since Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man, Disney/Marvel will continue to mess with Peter Parker in the comics. There are forces bigger than a few hundred thousand comic readers at work in this case.
Old 10-03-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been reading Spider-Verse and so far, it's fun. This week's Edge of Spider-Verse issue was an entertaining and dark re-take on Spider-Man's origin. I may claim it as today's Horror Comic Challenge.

I think the reason I'm enjoying the story so much is I'm a big fan of What If. That and we've been promised the Japanese TV Spider-Man and his giant robot Leopardon.
Old 10-03-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Disney has obvious plans to heavily push female superheroes from Marvel in the coming years.
Old 10-03-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Several years ago, I worked on a Marvel-related project (pre-Disney buyout) and we spent months trying to come up with a female-centric attraction that would be recognizable to "normal" guests. During our research, the top female superheroes that were instantly recognizable were owned by DC (duh!). Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl topped the lists each and every time. Harley Quinn even stood out a few times.

No one (outside of comic book readers) knew who Storm, Invisible Woman, Black Widow, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk or Ms. Marvel were. She-Hulk got some responses because the character was green and people made a connection - Tho most called her "Hulk Girl" and "Miss Hulk." Some prodding would get people to remember that Jessica Alba played the Invisible Woman in "that Fantastic Four movie" or Storm was in an old X-Men cartoon. But DC clearly won that race.

In the end, we never developed a female-centric attraction. We just shuffled them into which ever team they worked with. Then Disney stepped in and that was that.

At least now, more people are familiar with Black Widow thanks to the Marvel films.
Old 10-03-14, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I imagine that Marvel is not calling all the shots anymore. Both Warner and Disney realize the best way to successfully establish a character intended for mass consumption is by introducing them first to the hardcore fan comic book community through the actual comics. I've seen fanboys willingly accept almost anything if Marvel or DC publish it in continuity. Both Marvel and DC are little more than vanity presses now, so their corporate parents can make movies and television shows.

Since Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man, Disney/Marvel will continue to mess with Peter Parker in the comics. There are forces bigger than a few hundred thousand comic readers at work in this case.
It has nothing to do with Sony owning the movie rights. Marvel is screwing with all their characters right now, even the characters they own the movie rights. Thor is gone and replaced with a female Thor. Steve Rogers is gone and replaced with Falcon as the new Cap. Iron Man is the "Superior Iron Man" now. (I'm not sure of the details on that if it is still Tony Stark as the "Superior Iron Man" or if they did something like Spider-Ock.)
Old 10-23-14, 10:32 PM

'Humberto stated that people will be again angry with Spider-Man writer Dan Slott at the end of the current storyline, Spider-Verse.'

If this is indeed what's going to happen, I wont read Spider-man comics anymore. I used to love Spider-man. But now I am really enjoying DC comics a lot - as my emotional investment has grown with Superman, Batman and The Flash, It has just been so easy to lose a lot of my emotional investment in Spider-man. I honestly don't enjoy reading material where the writer consistently sets out to make their audience angry. I found Spider-Gwen to be very boring. If Gwen takes over, I wont be angry, I'll just lose all interest in reading Spider-man comics.

What's up with Marvel replacing well established male heroes with female versions of the character? Are those ranting feminists on the internet getting to them too? Those feminists who will go and drool over Thors, Supermans, or Captain Americas bodies in the movies but then demand wonder woman be portrayed like Brienne of Tarth and completely non sexualized. Hell, in the last Thor movie I witnessed a lot of women in the theater start applauding when he had his shirt off. I don't have a problem with that at all - The actor of Thor is definitely a physical specimen, I just have a problem with the hypocrisy that is consistent throughout contemporary feminism.

Then they demand that comics 'be inclusive of everyone' but if you actually listen to what they believe is inclusive of everyone its actually just shifting the target audience from males to females - which isnt inclusive of everyone. Now this stuff makes me angry.

I really hope Marvel isnt listening to them and altering their product to be aimed at females at the expense of the male audience rather than in addition to the male audience.
Old 10-23-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aren't they replacing Wolverine with X-23?
Old 10-24-14, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wolverine88
If this is indeed what's going to happen, I wont read Spider-man comics anymore. I used to love Spider-man.
I quit reading Spider-Man comics in the 90s when they pulled that genetic actress bullshit with Aunt May. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I read on the internet what has been going on since then, and everything I hear about from Sins Past to One More Day to Superior Spider-Man, makes me not regret at all my decision to quit when I did.

I actually haven't read any Marvel comics since the 90s. I gave them up completely then. I still read DC, but I have always been much more of a DC fanboy. I do love the Marvel Cinematic Universe though. I really wish DC would get their act together in the movies.
Old 10-24-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gave up on Spider-Man after One More Day... and I made it through the clone mess, which should tell you what a clusterfuck I thought OMD was.
Old 10-24-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine88
'Humberto stated that people will be again angry with Spider-Man writer Dan Slott at the end of the current storyline
Mrs. Thompkins's kid said that??
Old 10-24-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The Doc Ock as spiderman was a good series, much better than I thought it would be, and the return stuff has been decent as well.

IDK why Slott seems so hellbent on screwing with the fans though.
Old 10-24-14, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
IDK why Slott seems so hellbent on screwing with the fans though.
It's probably not Slott's decision. If I remember right, JMS once said the more controversial stuff from his run such as Sins Past and One More Day wasn't actually his decision. It was mandated to him from higher up the corporate ladder. It's probably exactly the same with Slott.

Then there was the 90s Clone Saga which was prolonged for so long simply because the marketing department said to milk the increased sales for as long as possible.

It doesn't seem like writers actually have much control over what they write. The higher ups tell them what to write, and then the writers make the best they can out of the shitpile they're given.
Old 10-24-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't explain why Slott acts like he has fanboy rage on different comic book forums. Angry fanboys complain about his writing and he responds in the same manner. So much so that it's hard to tell them apart.

For me, Slott is a decent writer but his online presence has completely turned me off to his work. I bought the first issue of Superior Spider-Man but nothing else until the Goblin Nation story line. I've only just started picking up Amazing because of Spider-Verse. It's fun so far but a small part of me winced when they
Spoiler:
killed Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
and
Spoiler:
just this week, killed the MC2 (Spider-Girl universe) Peter and Mary Jane.
At least it adds a layer of "no one is safe."

Despite all the crap the Clone Saga gets, Ben Reilly was one of the best characters of the 90s (IMO). I understand why Marvel killed him off so completely (to show everyone that he was definitely the clone) but I wasn't happy camper. I kept up with Spidey until mid-way through the JMS run. It had nothing to do with Sins Past. I just thought he was doing a terrible job with the character. I came back for Civil War and OMD but that was it for 5 years until Superior Spider-Man.

And yes - The Aunt May switch with the actress was one of the worse things I've ever read in a comic book. Completely diminished May's death in Spider-Man #400. And the BS they pulled with Peter and Mary Jane's baby didn't help. All the mystery of her disappearance and Osborn's plot wasn't revealed in the comics. It was wrapped up in an interview with Joe Quesada saying "The baby's dead."
Old 10-24-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I dropped Spider-Man with the conclusion of One More Day. I did come back for OMIT (One Moment In Time) because it was sort of one of those train wrecks you can't stop looking at.
Well, that and I wanted to see how Joe Q would attempt to "clear up" what had happened to Spidey's past after he deal with Mephisto. After laughing at that, I went back to dropping the book.

That said...for some reason this rumor intrigues me.
Old 10-25-14, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Despite all the crap the Clone Saga gets, Ben Reilly was one of the best characters of the 90s (IMO). I understand why Marvel killed him off so completely (to show everyone that he was definitely the clone) but I wasn't happy camper. I kept up with Spidey until mid-way through the JMS run. It had nothing to do with Sins Past. I just thought he was doing a terrible job with the character. I came back for Civil War and OMD but that was it for 5 years until Superior Spider-Man.
Ben Reilly was a good character. He was just about the only redeeming feature of the Clone mess, but Marvel toyed with the idea he was the true Spider-Man so much, they had to get rid of him or alienate remaining fans.

I can't believe the terrible storylines they've repeatedly put their best character through over the years. Spider-Man seemed to have a three decade run of greatness and then all hell broke loose in the 90s. He's the one character that I wish could get pulled from Marvel's control.
Old 10-26-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

It seems like for whatever reason Marvel has liked to sabotage the Spider-Man/Peter Parker character for a long ass time so if the article from the first post is true I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I don't quite get their reasoning as Spidey is one of their more popular characters overall but whatever. I guess they feel the need to try and shake things up to try and attract new readers or whatever (even though that never seems to work and just pisses off fans).
Old 10-26-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Is this all one big F U to Sony? I mean X-Men no longer is any way similar to what's on screen and now they're trying to do the same to Spider-Man.
Old 10-26-14, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber
Is this all one big F U to Sony? I mean X-Men no longer is any way similar to what's on screen and now they're trying to do the same to Spider-Man.
No, it's not a F U to Sony. Marvel just has a tendency to do something that will "break the status quo FOREVER" (forever usually meaning one year) because hype like that increases sales. It's a gimmick that has been used by both DC and Marvel since the 90s.

Marvel is screwing with all their characters right now in an attempt to boost sales. Steve Rogers is gone and Falcon is the new Captain America. Thor is gone and replaced with a new female Thor. Iron Man is the "Superior Iron Man" now (not sure if it's still Tony Stark or someone else in the armor).

So it's not just Spider-Man and it's not because of the movie rights.
Old 10-26-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
So it's not just Spider-Man and it's not because of the movie rights.
It isn't just Spider-Man but it does seem like they've done more stupid shit to his character than just about any other largely popular character.
Old 10-31-14, 10:02 AM
Banned

Marvel just likes to fuck with their fans.

Why does it seem like Marvel comics just like to troll the reader, but the movies are treated with so much more respect?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.