Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Drawing the line at... $4.99

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: Drawing the line at... $4.99

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
This to the nth degree. I remember when Chuck Austen was on X-Men and everyone at my LCBS complained each an every month about how shitty his writing was and how he was destroying the franchise. They'd especially go off on how they were wasting money picking up the book. We would always tell them to drop the title until a new writer comes on and they would instantly balk "I can't do that! It's X-Men."
Funny, because Austen broke me of my addiction to X-Men. And I'm a big fan of Kia Asamiya and several of the characters he used too and I just couldn't do it.

The the revelation that Marvel collects everything into trades made me stop collecting Marvel monthly altogether.

Then DC rebooting with the new 52 disassociated the characters with my memories of the characters, providing a clean breaking point. Still get that nudge every once in a while, and I'm enjoying Multiversity every month, but beyond that the big two made it really easy to avoid monthly comics. And if something is just really spectacular, well, it'll be available in a nicer package eventually. I really want to read Superior Spidey but I'll wait for a comixology sale or an omnibus. Not like I don't have a backlog of digital comics and hardcovers as it is.
Old 10-06-14, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'll also add that even if comics were 99c, I don't think that would automatically get kids to come in and buy them. Heck, the Comixology 99c sales don't do that (not that every kid has a tablet)
I agree. The vast majority of kids wouldn't read comics if they were given away for free. Kids would rather play video games. I don't think it is much coincidence that the comic industry nosedived in the mid 90s right when the video game industry started going mainstream with the Playstation. Kids would rather spend their limited time and money on video games rather than comic books.

Also, regarding tablets, my biggest concern about them is how they completely ruin double page spreads. A printed comic page is about 10" x 6.5". The 9.7" iPad's screen dimensions are about 7" x 5". That's not too bad shrinking one page down to the iPad dimensions, but shrinking down a double page spread just completely ruins it.
Old 10-06-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,808 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No standard comic book should cost more than $2.00 - they don't cost that much to produce.
Oh, they probably do cost that much.

You have to pay the writer, the artists, the colorist, the letterer, the editors, and any other business overhead. And then they have to be printed and shipped. And the publisher wants to make a profit on top of all of that.

And out of the cover price, Diamond takes its cut, and the retailer gets a hefty discount.

$2.00 might be doable if comics sold in greater numbers, but many of them are struggling to sell over 20,000 copies.

Keep in mind that, out of the cover price, the retailer will get about half of that, and the publisher will sell to Diamond for, probably, about 40% of cover price.

So, for a $2 comic, the publisher might gross about $16,000 from it if it sells 20,000 copies. And out of that $16,000 they have to pay the creators and printers. Keep in mind that the lower the print run is, the higher the per unit cost is.
Old 10-06-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If comics sold ten times what they do we could see a better price. However I'm curious about magazines. Their in store cover price is insane (NEVER touch them) yet if you subscribe they get insanely cheap. (All the ads!)
Old 10-07-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,143 Likes on 697 Posts

I have a Samsung Galaxy Pro 12.2 and that thing is the shiznit for comic and magazine reading. Expandable memory and none of the hang-ups that come with Apple products.

I have seen them refurbished for as low as $350 recently. I paid full price for mine when they came out and haven't regretted it one bit.
Old 10-07-14, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I have a Samsung Galaxy Pro 12.2 and that thing is the shiznit for comic and magazine reading. Expandable memory and none of the hang-ups that come with Apple products.

I have seen them refurbished for as low as $350 recently. I paid full price for mine when they came out and haven't regretted it one bit.
A 12" tablet would match a single printed comic page almost perfectly since the printed page is also 12" diagonal. However, that's just a single page. With double page spreads you still run into the same problem as other tablets with two pages being shrunk down to fit one small screen. No tablet is ever going to be able to replicate the effect of a double page spread properly.
Old 10-07-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 996 Likes on 703 Posts

Sure the double page spreads are compromised, but in the end, the convenience and relative affordability of digital makes the compromise worth it to me. I'll still pick up hardcovers and trades for the really important stuff that means a lot to me, but worrying about the double page spreads on stuff that I'm going to read once and throw into a long box just isn't going to happen at this point.
Old 10-07-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Their in store cover price is insane (NEVER touch them) yet if you subscribe they get insanely cheap. (All the ads!)
My wife has subscriptions for me through her work for car magazines. I get them for $4 per subscription for a whole year. I think their $5 each or more at the store for a single issue. She just brings them home when they arrive in the office.

It works for all hospitals; basically anywhere that has a waiting room.
Old 10-07-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If comics sold ten times what they do we could see a better price. However I'm curious about magazines. Their in store cover price is insane (NEVER touch them) yet if you subscribe they get insanely cheap. (All the ads!)
And yet if you look at the value proposition of most magazines, even filled with ads, they far exceed the average comic book (if you like reading articles), even at non subscription cover price. They have all kinds of rack space to tempt people to pick up an issue here or there because of the cover stories, and they're all returnable/pulpable, meaning the risk to the grocery store is minimal since they get a refund for any they don't sell at the end of the month. I know with the new 52 they put out racks of comics at, I think, B&N, and I've seen some tattered comics at TRU, but other than that (and the sweet grandfathered deal Archie still has) comics don't have much of a presence outside of comic book stores, which limits ad revenue and views. I mean, that last time I read a marvel comic more than half the ads were house ads, so I doubt ad revenue is super significant in the cost (one thing that this reminds me of, is that digital has no ads).
Old 10-07-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference between newspapers and magazines and comics, is the advertising. The reason that newspapers and magazines are basically being given away these days if you buy a subscription is the fact that they need to have a strong circulation to charge what they do for advertising.
Old 10-07-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Scott Snyder tweeted that Batman is going back to $3.99 (after 35, which was already off to the printer).

I'll continue to wait for 99 cent sales on Comixology.
Old 10-07-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah. Just saw that. Here's DC's official notice:

DC ENTERTAINMENT TO PUBLISH BATMAN #36 AND 37 WITH A COVER PRICE OF $3.99 US

Following the amazing start of the “Endgame” storyline in BATMAN #35, DC Entertainment announces that BATMAN #36 and 37 – chapters two and three of “Endgame” – will be published with cover prices of $3.99 US each, as originally solicited!

These issues will keep their page count of 40, with 30 pages of story in each!

In addition, the combo pack editions of issues #36-37 will be priced at $4.99 US.
Old 10-07-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
The difference between newspapers and magazines and comics, is the advertising. The reason that newspapers and magazines are basically being given away these days if you buy a subscription is the fact that they need to have a strong circulation to charge what they do for advertising.
Oh, I know, I figure they just want everyone to see the ads. Newsstand prices are still insane.
Old 10-08-14, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 704 Posts

Magazines and paperbacks are a tough comparison for comic books, since both sell to much larger markets than the comic book audience. Many of the women's magazines have circulations in the millions, smashing any comic book figure of the past three decades except for a few bubble-era issues.

The unspoken truth is that Marvel and DC's prices would be far lower if each issue sold a million copies. Instead many struggle to break 30,000 copies per month.
Old 10-08-14, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder how much sales would really go up if prices dropped to a couple dollars (couple means TWO!) Those who already purchase comics would likely start buying a few extra series while those who do not read comics at all may never really notice since they are mostly just in comic shops and the whole only getting part of the story so trades do better for a general reader.

I'm sure what I would get would increase quite a bit, however having to sell twice as much just to make what they used to is not something they would do. Now if doing that allowed them to sell ten times as much.
Old 10-08-14, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,143 Likes on 697 Posts

The price is not the only problem with comics. Not only did they price themselves out of the kid's market (kid's buying them with their own money) but you can barely find them anywhere but at a comic book store nowadays. When I was growing up, comics were mostly a cheap impulse buy that you could get anywhere.

My Dad would run into a 7-11 and come out with one or two 25 cent comics for me after getting gas and a drink. When I was sick, my Dad ALWAYS came home with several comics for me after picking up medicine at the local drug store. When at the grocery store, I could always beg my parents to grab me a comic or two when checking out. Also, I sat in the magazine aisle and read and looked at comics usually the entire time my parents were grocery shopping which lead to me discovering new titles and picking up some with my own money.

You generally can't find comics under any of the perfect kid's situations above. And that is what the comic industry has done to doom them...taken themselves out of kid's hands by both location and price.
Old 10-08-14, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still cheap compared to Hallmark cards.
Old 10-08-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Yeah, but people need (or think they do) to buy cards. Besides, there are the no name brands at Walmart and Target for 99 cents. No one and I mean no one needs to buy a comic book.
Old 10-08-14, 10:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Wow. You're right. I rarely buy cards outside of the dollar store, same cards that are $2.99 and up at the drugstore; but I'm amazed that people pay $5 or more for a greeting card that likely gets tossed in the trash within a day.
Old 10-08-14, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrhan
Yeah, but people need (or think they do) to buy cards. Besides, there are the no name brands at Walmart and Target for 99 cents. No one and I mean no one needs to buy a comic book.
man. Comic books are one of the four necessities in life. Food, water, shelter, and comic books.
Old 10-08-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The price is not the only problem with comics. Not only did they price themselves out of the kid's market (kid's buying them with their own money) but you can barely find them anywhere but at a comic book store nowadays. When I was growing up, comics were mostly a cheap impulse buy that you could get anywhere.

My Dad would run into a 7-11 and come out with one or two 25 cent comics for me after getting gas and a drink. When I was sick, my Dad ALWAYS came home with several comics for me after picking up medicine at the local drug store. When at the grocery store, I could always beg my parents to grab me a comic or two when checking out. Also, I sat in the magazine aisle and read and looked at comics usually the entire time my parents were grocery shopping which lead to me discovering new titles and picking up some with my own money.

You generally can't find comics under any of the perfect kid's situations above. And that is what the comic industry has done to doom them...taken themselves out of kid's hands by both location and price.
I'll further add that price and availability are also not the only problems. Heck, some of us have kids and have a tough time getting them to read comics, and to them they're basically free!

If anything, the monthly issue is a tough starting point for anybody. If you want to start someone off in comics, you usually give them a trade, or a self contained story. I wonder how effective giving them a random issue of a monthly would be. Even with the new 52, which was restarted partially to give people an easy jumping on point, the continuity is already so muddled that I doubt it's easy to follow. And that's part of the catch of superhero comics; the fans want interconnected stories that "matter," but sometimes (not always) that means it's impenetrable to new readers.
Old 10-08-14, 11:54 AM
Banned

Another thing that is daunting to new readers is just the sheer number of titles that are produced nowadays.

The Bat-family alone is like a dozen titles. Superman and Green Lantern families also have several titles. Over on the Marvel side, Avengers and X-Men have multiple titles. Also, don't forget many of these double-ship too (especially on the Marvel side).

Even for us "hardcore" readers, that can get to be a bit much. For someone new, they just take one look and say forget about it.
Old 10-08-14, 12:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

^ and ^^

I guess several companies have tried to combat those problems by creating smaller and more cohesive superhero universes. Heck, even Marvel and DC have tried with some of their sub-labels.

Guess they are sometimes victims of their own success, growing bigger and more convoluted to try to meet demand; then imploding.
Old 10-08-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 704 Posts

That industry has an even worse problem than the comic book industry. Sales have been slashed in the past decade as younger women abandon print cards for social media and email. Many inside Hallmark believe the industry will be virtually extinct within a decade as the Baby Boomers start dying off. If people aren't paying attention, stores like Walmart now carry greeting cards as cheaply as 47 cents.
Old 10-08-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wow. You're right. I rarely buy cards outside of the dollar store, same cards that are $2.99 and up at the drugstore; but I'm amazed that people pay $5 or more for a greeting card that likely gets tossed in the trash within a day.
They are WAY too expensive. However, not everyone tosses them nor do they within a day. I only have a small amount of people I get cards from so I keep them. It's really only a small stack a few inches high. I would have to rethink it a bit if I had dozens coming in each year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.