Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What do comic stores generally pay/have you ever sold to one?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What do comic stores generally pay/have you ever sold to one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What do comic stores generally pay/have you ever sold to one?

My comic shop buys books "by the pound" if they are generally worthwhile.
Old 09-17-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Navinabob
My comic shop buys books "by the pound" if they are generally worthwhile.
That's certainly an interesting way to go about it! There's one not overly far away that you can buy by the pound here.
Old 09-17-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by reverie
That's certainly an interesting way to go about it! There's one not overly far away that you can buy by the pound here.
Comix Corner? That was my shop of choice before I had to quit. I like the guys there.

The "by the pound" stuff that they sell is generally stuff that's hard to even give away though.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 09-17-14 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold off roughly half my collection earlier this year, as I was moving and wouldn't have the space to keep everything. I got $10-30 for a longbox, depending on what was in the box.

But being a child of the 70s, most of my collection was stuff from the 80s, 90s and 00s, which was somewhat worthless to the shops I sold to.

On the other hand, if I had held on to everything, most of my comics would have been destroyed by the apartment fire that ruined most of my Trades and Hardcovers. So there's that.
Old 09-20-14, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

That's terrible luck, losing your collection in a fire. I think I could handle that but it would tear me to pieces.
Old 09-20-14, 04:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

That's part of the reason I'm going partly/mostly (?) digital, even if I paid enough for full replacement value insurance and the insurance company paid enough to replace everything, it just wouldn't be the same.
Old 09-20-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
That's part of the reason I'm going partly/mostly (?) digital, even if I paid enough for full replacement value insurance and the insurance company paid enough to replace everything, it just wouldn't be the same.
A little bit of me dies inside every time I hear you're going digital.
Old 09-20-14, 09:58 PM
Banned

If you are going digital because you are worried about losing your collection, then I don't see how that is a particularly wise move. If Comixology goes out of business, then you lose your entire collection. The odds of Comixology still being in business in 20+ years is significantly worse than losing your collection in a fire, tornado, or other natural disaster.
Old 09-20-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, Comixology is now a part of Amazon so I would place the odds of Amazon going out of business as very very low. I just can't go digital due to my love of reading physical books.
Old 09-20-14, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Well, Comixology is now a part of Amazon so I would place the odds of Amazon going out of business as very very low. I just can't go digital due to my love of reading physical books.
Just because they are big right now does not mean they will always be big. Business can change a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Sears, K-Mart, and Blockbuster used to be big 20 years ago, and look where they are now. Very few companies actually survive long term.
Old 09-21-14, 10:53 AM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

Reading these posts have me wishing I would have followed through on my plan to make an online trading hub/post a decade ago when I was frustrated knowing the comics I owned but didn't really want anymore were worthless to anyone who pays money for such things. But the collector in me knows someone could want them. Too bad fees and shipping makes it pretty much a losing situation.

But since I don't pay more than $1 an issue (I only buy clearance or grab bag lots) anymore, I guess I'm part of the problem.

Good luck to those who are trying to get a little something. I'll be diving back into the eBay myself after a few years. I have to reclaim some space.
Old 09-21-14, 12:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A little bit of me dies inside every time I hear you're going digital.
Don't worry, it's mostly all talk at this point. I still have 50 longboxes and 6 bookcases of trades, with no real plans to sell much of it.

I am pretty much out of room though, hence a tendency towards digital.
Originally Posted by taffer
If you are going digital because you are worried about losing your collection, then I don't see how that is a particularly wise move. If Comixology goes out of business, then you lose your entire collection. The odds of Comixology still being in business in 20+ years is significantly worse than losing your collection in a fire, tornado, or other natural disaster.
In the unlikely event that the companies that sell me digital content go under without a backup plan for customers, or otherwise deprive me of content I've paid for; I'll find the content online. So I have zero worries of ever losing any of my digital purchases.

Hopefully the fire/tornado/theft scenarios are much less than 1% also; but losing my Comixology purchases is no risk whatsoever.
Old 09-21-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon buying them out would greatly reassure me of Comixology hanging around for a long time.

I am worried about the long-term stability of digital content providers. I closely follow the digital movie market and aside from Apple's iTunes, I have serious doubts providers like Flixster will still be around in ten years.
Old 09-23-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Comix Corner? That was my shop of choice before I had to quit. I like the guys there.
Yes, I think that's the place! I've only been there once, but it seemed decent.
Old 09-23-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just because they are big right now does not mean they will always be big. Business can change a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Sears, k-mart, and blockbuster used to be big 20 years ago, and look where they are now. Very few companies actually survive long term.
this.
Old 09-23-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

You can download backups of pretty much everything on Comixology that isn't Marvel or DC. And you can link your Comixology purchases to your Marvel.com account, so as long as Marvel doesn't go out of business (much less likely now than the mid 90s) that's backed up in another location as well.

So anything worth saving can be. But if Comixology goes under you might lose out on some Rob Liefeld Hawkman.
Old 09-27-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: download books for free here

Originally Posted by Sylvia G. Mille
download books for free here
Sorry Sylvia, but I suspect you won't last long here.