Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital vs. Physical copies

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 12:08 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Digital vs. Physical copies

Have you tried ComicZeal? That's my preferred comic book reader.
Old 08-12-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

What do you guys say to comic creators, like John Byrne, who say their stuff is made to be read in print, not digital? I mean, you wouldn't watch a Kubrick movie in something other than his preferred ratio, so why not hold comics to the same standard?
Old 08-12-14, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Have you tried ComicZeal? That's my preferred comic book reader.
I have a Galaxy Tab 3 (8")
Originally Posted by slop101
What do you guys say to comic creators, like John Byrne, who say their stuff is made to be read in print, not digital? I mean, you wouldn't watch a Kubrick movie in something other than his preferred ratio, so why not hold comics to the same standard?
That's an issue I think about as well. Can an app function as though I am reading from panel to panel as I would in a book. That's the feature I am looking for. That feature so far has only been seen by me through that PCB INFEX.
I would love to have this as a new standard.
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Injust...de-1-425311366
Old 08-12-14, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I think you're confusing issues. I wouldn't equate the aspect ratio to the format. I think it would be more like if Kubrick said he only wanted his movies to be watched on a theater screen, but you wanted to watch it on a 19" TV.
Old 08-12-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Do you have a link to his argument?

Considering comics are printed on different kinds of paper and different sizes all the time, with different coloring and reproduction methods, and that the original runs of some of his most well-remembered issues are on degrading paper with basic coloring, I'm not sure what he's talking about. Is it the feel of the paper?

I can understand creators having problems with not getting paid for the digital rights the way they do for reprints, though. I can also understand the tactile feel of the comic and having a different reading experience if you read it as it comes out monthly, but then you'd have to throw collections/omnibus/hardcovers out as well, unless the comic was originally published in that format.
Old 08-12-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Do you have a link to his argument?
It was just a comment on twitter, something along the lines of his books were created with the intention to be read in print, not digitally on a screen. But then he's a cranky old luddite, but then it is literally creator's intent, so...
Old 08-12-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say "fuck off John Byrne. You're getting paid either way. And Next Men suck."
Old 08-12-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madcougar
And Next Men suck."
Aw, man, I really liked Next Men. It started off slow, but a little less than half way, it got really good and I was heartbroken when it ended - his "2112" quasi-sequel was a much more interesting read after finishing the series.
Old 08-12-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'd say "fuck off John Byrne. You're getting paid either way. And Next Men suck."
haha, I concur.
Old 08-12-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How exactly do digital comics play on things like iPads? They're almost illegible on iPhones, and it seems to me like the Kindle would still be a little small. I'm sure that digital distribution allows for much better mass distribution.
Old 08-12-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I read all of my comics on my desktop monitor or laptop. I own a first gen Kindle and it's not compatible with digital comics. I don't own any of them fancy personal devices.
Old 08-12-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
How exactly do digital comics play on things like iPads? They're almost illegible on iPhones, and it seems to me like the Kindle would still be a little small. I'm sure that digital distribution allows for much better mass distribution.
I prefer physical but I do read some comics on my ipad. What I find frustrating is the increasing use of pointless double-page spreads (mostly in comics by Bendis) which look pretty crap on my reader. It works great otherwise, but double page spreads I either have to turn and resize page or scroll across it.
Old 08-12-14, 11:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I hated the idea of digital comics up until fairly recently. Loved the feel of holding a book and the physical collection aspects; reading on a small phone screen is just silly; and sitting is the new smoking so reading on a computer is out.

But then I got an iPad and sampled some of the hundreds of freebies on Comixology and Dark Horse. The screen size is close enough to actual comic page size for me; though I really do enjoy their guided view system where it shows you the full page then zooms into each panel in succession. The image quality is amazing, and being able to carry hundreds of books around in my however many ounce device is the icing on the cake.

If I had unlimited wealth and space I'd probably stick with physical, but neither of those things will happen. Digital is cheaper and takes up no space.
Old 08-13-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The real problem with the ipad size comes when there are double page spreads, but other than that the size is not really an issue.
Old 08-13-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I'm a huge fan of John Byrne's work, but he's pretty much the crankiest old man in the industry this side of Alan Moore. I don't want to outright dismiss his opinion, but I fail to see how there's much difference between reading on an (appropriately sized) screen and reading a physical copy, and I work in the book printing/binding industry so I don't make that statement lightly.

Just last week I picked up a used Nook HD+. It's a 9" tablet, so it's slightly smaller than the real thing, but I'm enjoying reading comics on it quite a bit. As others have mentioned, the only real issue is on double page spreads.
Old 08-13-14, 07:30 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by VHS?
I have a Galaxy Tab 3 (8")
ComicZeal is an app, not a device. Search for it in the Play Store.

The ratio remains the same on digital comics as they do in print. There's windowboxing on the sides of my reader. As joltman pointed out, that's not the same thing as the medium. The fact is that with digital I can read any comic that's been scanned in quality that doesn't degrade over time and if scanned well will look just as good as the print version. The only thing you get with print that you don't get with digital is the tactile feel of paper, but I don't see how that is at all necessary to enjoy Byrne's work (or anyone's). I think the dude's just afraid of change. Obviously he wrote his comics for print, print was the only way comics existed for all of the 20th century. Making them digital now doesn't invalidate them.

Originally Posted by joltman
I think you're confusing issues. I wouldn't equate the aspect ratio to the format. I think it would be more like if Kubrick said he only wanted his movies to be watched on a theater screen, but you wanted to watch it on a 19" TV.
Given how close in size a 9.7" or 10" tablet is to the size of a regular comic, and the general quality of digital comics, I'd say it's more akin to Kubrick demanding that all of his films be seen in movie theaters, and I want to watch it on a 120" screen with an excellent DLP projector running off of the best Blu-ray copy out there.
Old 08-13-14, 10:06 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look perfect on my iPad mini almost feels like I'm holding a comic.
Old 08-13-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
ComicZeal is an app, not a device. Search for it in the Play Store.
No, I know that. Just when I went to their site it appeared to only be available for iPad. I didnt think to check the Google Play for I since it didnt say anything on the site.
Old 08-14-14, 12:18 AM
Banned by request

Oh, nevermind then. Sorry.
Old 08-14-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, no worries.
I have tried a few comics on my tablet but thinking I would probably feel better about digital on a larger screen. This 8" tablet is kinda small. Maybe I could buy one of those cheap China tablets with a larger screen.
Old 08-15-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm a trade guy personally. For me physical media will always win out over digital media. I like trades more just because they're more convenient to read and are generally in order so I don't have to sift through what issue of what title I need to read to complete an arc. I buy single issues on occasion but not very often.
Old 08-18-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw, man, I really liked Next Men. It started off slow, but a little less than half way, it got really good and I was heartbroken when it ended - his "2112" quasi-sequel was a much more interesting read after finishing the series.
I bought the first volume, which I think included the first 12 issues. It was okay, but no great shakes.
Old 08-18-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought the first volume, which I think included the first 12 issues. It was okay, but no great shakes.
Yeah, I agree. But that first volume was all groundwork, and it started to get better, and then great, after that.
Old 09-01-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I'm sitting here last Wednesday and look at my pile of unread comics.
This is going to happen all over again. Where do I put them. How many boxes will cluster up my garage.
I'm starting to think digital is the way to go. I love physical copies. There's something about holding the comic in your hand and flipping through it's pages. The smell of paper and it's printed ink.

On the other hand I can store comics on sd cards, thumb drives, and what room is that taking. I can fit it all in my pocket on-the-go. I can zoom in and look at the artwork if I choose. No worries of bending pages, creasing as I flip through. My OCD will be no more when it comes to reading comic books!

I think I'm going to give it a go at least for a month or so and see if anything inside tells me it sucks and go back to physical.
Old 09-01-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
No worries of bending pages, creasing as I flip through. My OCD will be no more when it comes to reading comic books!
That's one of the reasons I like digital. I'm really picky about condition and the only real place I could read paper comics is on a flat surface looking down. With a computer or tablet it's much more comfortable and easy to read.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.