Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

How accessible is Marvel Now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: How accessible is Marvel Now?

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And I've found that his old X-Men run doesn't hold up particularly well, either. I don't know if it's because I'm older, or that kind of writing is just out of style, but that's some terrible dialog. It's overly formal and stiff and comes off as 'written' and not things anyone would actually say.

Nevermind the plotlines that are dragged out for years and never resolved, the storylines that are cut off in order to accommodate the big fall crossovers.
I don't know, I suppose they're dated, but those first 50 issues or so have a real majesty to them that very few comics have ever had. I picked up the Marvel Masterworks trades a couple years back and had a blast re-reading them. There's a particular energy they have, particulary when he was working with Byrne.
Old 04-04-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

It is very wordy, though, and some of the dialog does seem stilted. I always imagine a Kirk-like speaking pattern for a lot of his dialogue, with a lot of pauses between speech bubbles.

This will seem ironic, because I loved Dark Phoenix Saga in trade form as a kid, but I also think his work suffers when you read it all at once instead of month to month. Some of the storylines like Fall of the Mutants that I thought were these grand stories seem much shorter without the wait between issues.
Old 04-04-14, 05:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I don't particularly care for digital comics. I bought a Nook HD+ last year when they were on sale for $149. I didn't like it at all.
That's cool, but it is a way to sample before you buy.
Old 04-04-14, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Some of the storylines like Fall of the Mutants that I thought were these grand stories seem much shorter without the wait between issues.
Everything seems to take a long time when viewed under the eyes of a kid. I very much remember reading Batman when Tim Drake was introduced, and I thought it was taking FOREVER for him to become Robin. In hindsight, it was barely a year considering Tim was introduced in Batman #442 and officially became Robin in #457. That was a really long year for myself as a kid though.
Old 04-04-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
I don't know, I suppose they're dated, but those first 50 issues or so have a real majesty to them that very few comics have ever had. I picked up the Marvel Masterworks trades a couple years back and had a blast re-reading them. There's a particular energy they have, particulary when he was working with Byrne.
I was thinking more of the later Claremont period, post-#200, than the early one. The Byrne-era was pretty much a straight-up superhero comic with an edge that other books of that time didn't have.

I remember really loving Claremont's X-Men when I was a teenager; I started reading around "The Fall of the Mutants" crossover. That period, from about "Mutant Massacre" up until the end of Claremont's run, had some really dark, weird, surreal, twisted stuff in it. But a few years ago, I re-read it, and while there was still a lot of good things in it, Claremont's ticks really stood out and it didn't really hold together well.