Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

3D Covers Return in September

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
3D Covers Return in September

Yep. DC is at it again. Their annual September event (tying in with their Futures End weekly series) will see the entire New52 jump ahead 5 years. And since last year's 3D covers did "extraordinarily well" for them, they're doing it again.

Plus, along side Futures End and Batman: Eternal, DC is planning a third weekly series.

Newsarama
Old 02-27-14, 07:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 3D Covers Return in September

I tried to get back into monthlies, but I'm out again. Trades only for me, with some movement into digital.
Old 02-27-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

"Potential futures."

Of course none of these will stick. DC barely knows what's it's going to be doing next month, let alone five years from now.
Old 02-27-14, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I tried to get back into monthlies, but I'm out again. Trades only for me, with some movement into digital.
I just couldn't get into trades and digital. I did try but I always end up getting back into the monthlies.
Old 02-27-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish there were more monthlies I was interested in. But with decompressed storytelling being the norm and floppies going for four bucks a pop, I'm content to tradewait for most of the series I follow and more likely to give a new tpb collection a try than a single issue.

Since Young Avengers and Fearless Defenders have been cancelled, I am down to Hawkeye, Batman '66, Astro City, and IDW's Thunder Agents. I am enjoying Red Circle's Fox series, but I'm pretty sure it ends it run next month. I'm following Walking Dead, Invincible and Invincible Universe, Mark Waid's Daredevil, and now Edison Rex in trade form. This week I decided to give Superior Foes of Spider-Man a go.
Old 02-27-14, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah trades are so much more convenient, I rarely buy single monthly issues.
Old 02-28-14, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could get into trades, but the gutter loss is a deal breaker for me. It bothers me that much. It especially completely ruins the effect of double page spreads.
Old 02-28-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Yep. DC is at it again. Their annual September event (tying in with their Futures End weekly series) will see the entire New52 jump ahead 5 years. And since last year's 3D covers did "extraordinarily well" for them, they're doing it again.
And your surprised? Disappointed? Angry?

DC is a business and they are in the business of making money. No idea why this is "surprising" in any way.
Old 02-28-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah trades are so much more convenient, I rarely buy single monthly issues.
Same here. I hated years back when DC did their "one year later" stories.. it got very confusing and all of a sudden I had no idea what was going on. Worst of all there didn't seem to be any reason I could figure on why they did it. Now it's five years..? *sigh*
Old 02-28-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Image did it a long time ago, and while at the time I thought it was pretty cool, their scheduling problems made it almost impossible them to really follow through.

When DC did their one year later story, at least they just did a timeskip (and allowed the excellent weekly 52 series unveil what happened). Then the individual titles could just move on creatively. I'm assuming this is not a permanent 5 year skip?

The real question is, how severely allocated are these going to be this time, and are they going to offer the "normal" covers up front this time, or wait until the last minute like last time.

Last edited by fujishig; 02-28-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
And your surprised? Disappointed? Angry?

DC is a business and they are in the business of making money. No idea why this is "surprising" in any way.
I'm sorry, Mr. DiDio. I'll re-phrase accordingly next time.

Don't see anywhere in my original post where I came off as "surprised." Posted this as news that I thought the Forum would be interested in. Nothing more.

Originally Posted by fujishig
The real question is, how severely allocated are these going to be this time, and are they going to offer the "normal" covers up front this time, or wait until the last minute like last time.
The allocation is the biggest question this go around. Did DC learn it's lesson from the last time? They're soliciting well in advance this go-around with a cut-off in May. Hopefully, more people will get their hands on the covers they want.

For Villain's Month, I opted for the 2D covers and ended up with four 3D ones because their regular versions sold out. I pushed away my OCD and let it slide.

One of the articles I read said they were going to offer 2D covers as well. Searching again, I can't find that info now. So... maybe?
Old 02-28-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Only $3.99? I'm impressed that they refrained from price gouging.
Old 02-28-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Image did it a long time ago, and while at the time I thought it was pretty cool, their scheduling problems made it almost impossible them to really follow through.
Yeah, I remember that. They released the #25 issues of certain books a year or so early. It was Stormwatch, Brigade, Bloodstrike, and Supreme.

The Stormwatch one was actually kind of cool because Stormwatch and WildCATs built toward the future shown in SW #25, and it worked.

The other three were Liefeld titles, and well...

I think Chew recently did something similar.
Old 02-28-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I wish I could get into trades, but the gutter loss is a deal breaker for me. It bothers me that much. It especially completely ruins the effect of double page spreads.
I understand your point but to me trades are just so much easier. All the titles of a particular storyline in one convenient to read book rather than having a bunch of single issues around and especially for some of the longer multi-book arcs they can be a bit of a clusterfuck to figure out the reading order at times. Plus trades are so much cheaper.

As for the jumping ahead five years idea, I guess I don't really see the point to it. They just did a reset of the universe not long ago and now throwing a story out there like this just seems a bit odd. I'm assuming it's not a permanent story change but it seems like stuff like this is what throws casual readers off. Whatever I guess.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-28-14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The remaining people buying monthlies clearly fall for these gimmicks. Both Marvel and DC have given up on expanding the actual customer base of readers, instead preferring to target the same group of collectors over and over again.

I really thought the industry would get healthier after the massive success in recent years of the Batman and Avengers movies, but I think there are too many external factors that have permanently handicapped the industry for future growth.
Old 03-04-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I also hate losing the gutter when reading TPBs, so I still end up buying more floppies from the dollar bins at the quarterly comic show in town. I only buy TPBs when I missed the boat and the floppies are exhorbitantly expensive (i.e. Saga).
Old 03-04-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'm sorry, Mr. DiDio. I'll re-phrase accordingly next time.

Don't see anywhere in my original post where I came off as "surprised." Posted this as news that I thought the Forum would be interested in. Nothing more.
Old 03-04-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When DC did their one year later story, at least they just did a timeskip (and allowed the excellent weekly 52 series unveil what happened).
So that's where the story went! I was only picking up a couple of titles at the time, and totally ignored the 52 stuff. No wonder I was so confused.. sadly that whole confusion was another nail in the monthly coffin for me. Why do comic companies have to make buying and reading books so difficult? If I read Nightwing, I don't want to have to buy a years' worth of other books to find out what was going on.
Old 03-04-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Even the 52 series didn't have all the info, they skipped over a ton of stuff, some were in other miniseries, some were hinted at in the regular books. I never did find out why Hawkgirl became a giant or how she went back to normal. But it was a decent, weekly series of books that followed a bunch of side characters and thus had good character growth. Sadly, it's popularity made them think Countdown was a good idea.

So they're basically jumping five years and staying there? After wanting to deage the characters (to the point that they got rid of most of their sidekicks and by proxy, the New Teen Titans)? Or am I misunderstanding what they're doing?
Old 03-04-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

If only they could pull it off as well as Stormwatch did back in the day.
Old 03-04-14, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So they're basically jumping five years and staying there? After wanting to deage the characters (to the point that they got rid of most of their sidekicks and by proxy, the New Teen Titans)? Or am I misunderstanding what they're doing?
I don't think it's a permanent jump. My understanding is that it will just be a one month event that will explore a "possible" future. Kind of like 2012's Zero Month was a one month event that explored the origins of all the New 52 characters.