Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The One and Only Creator Signing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 01:06 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
The One and Only Creator Signing Thread

I thought it would be fun to have a thread devoted to creator signings and appearances. We can give each other heads up on upcoming signings and share stories about ones we attend.

I'll start:

Earlier tonight, I met Jeff Smith tonight at Chicago Comics. He was super super nice, spending time chatting with everyone and sketching in everyone's books. I got him to sign my Complete Bone -- he sketched Fone Bone and Ted. We talked a little about RASL -- it's #4 on the NYT Best Seller list for graphic novels, and he's super proud of that. I let him know that I had got the color edition when it came out a few weeks ago and devoured it.

(Sidenote: I wanted to be sure to let him know that I loved RASL -- I only brought Bone with me because I don't like to be the guy who brings a ton of books and holds up the line. The guy in front of me had both Bone and RASL, and Jeff was really glad the guy had brought RASL. It seems that most people had Bone with them. This is just me inferring, but maybe he feels like people view him as a one-trick pony?)

I also learned that he prefers Bone in black and white and RASL in color.

All in all, one of my best signing experiences. Jeff Smith is a truly nice guy and a truly great creator.
Old 10-07-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The One and Only Creator Signing Thread

Great idea. One suggestion, maybe we can start each post with something like "Attention: Chicago area" or something so we can clearly tell where we are talking about.
Old 10-07-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

ATTN: Torrance, CA area:

Don't know how many of you follow the Collectors comic strip but he's doing a signing on October 19th at Amore Vino in Torrance, CA. Collectors is a cute strip that my wife and I crack up at because it's so much like our own life. I'm sure other comic fans would say the same thing.

He is Amore Vino's Artist of the Month and he'll have some of his original art on display. He'll also have printed copies of the Collectors Annual available for signing. His wedding anniversary is on the 19th so he'll be there with his wife to celebrate.
Old 10-07-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I need to make it a point to pick up RASL in color. I've loved the oversized collections.
Old 10-08-13, 07:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff Smith also drew Bone and Ted in my complete Bone collection after I noticed that it had been pre-signed by him. Very generous guy.
Old 10-09-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Another "Jeff Smith is a great guy" comment. My younger son loves Bone and we hit Jeff's booth every SDCC. He's signed every Bone book and has drawn virtually every character for my son over the years. There's a picture floating around the 'net with the walk-around Bone crushing my son's head in his hands. It was the first year they showcased the walk-around and Jeff laughed long and hard when he saw my son's excited reaction to the character. He is just awesome.
Old 10-09-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Totally agree!

#13 might seem random, but that was the first Bone comic I'd ever bought all the way back in 1994 or whenever it was, so it has sentimental value to me. I'm scratching my head about why I didn't get The Monster Society of Evil collection signed...love, love, love that one too.
Old 10-10-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'll add to the Jeff Smith love. I got a sketch from him in my sketchbook and in one of the Scholastic Bone hardcovers.

Peter Bagge is coming to Iowa City next week for a signing of his new Margaret Sanger book. It's the day before the I-Con comic convention, which makes for a nice little comic book weekend.