Early DC collected editions for 2014

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 08-23-13, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Courtesy of collectededitions

I have an early look at your DC Comics collections for 2014 today, scheduled to be released between March and September. There are a lot of these, so I'm just going to go through them alphabetically, starting with "general collections" first and New 52 books second. To whet your appetite, however, here's some highlights:

JSA Omnibus. Brightest Day Omnibus. Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison Omnibus. Batman by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones. A new collection of Spectre by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake. JLA Vol. 5, collecting Mark Waid's whole run. Absolute Superman/Batman Vol. 2. Absolute All-Star Batman and Robin. The third Catwoman volume by Ed Brubaker. A new "classic" Animal Man collection. Expanded collections of Batman: Murderer and Fugitive. A deluxe collection of Kevin Smith's Green Arrow stories. Tales of the Batman: Carmen Infantino. Tales of the Batman: JH Williams.

Excited yet? Let's dig in.

[Find out about stories like these before everyone else by joining Collected Editions on Facebook]

UPDATE:
• Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell

Previously announced graphic novel by Paul Dini and Joe Quinones, now scheduled for May 2014.

• Absolute All-Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder

As I understand it, there's only ten issues of All-Star Batman and Robin out there, of which only nine have been collected in a hardcover and paperback. I don't know for sure, but presumably this Absolute edition collects all ten.

• Absolute Superman/Batman Vol. 2

We now understand these books are out there in the run-up to the new movie. Collects Superman/Batman #14-26, which are the "Absolute Power" and "Vengeance" storylines.

• Animal Man Vol. 6: Flesh and Blood

Collects the "classic" Animal Man (post-Morrison) issues #51-63 by James Delano and Steve Pugh. Previously, I totally overlooked that Animal Man Vol. 5, by Tom Veitch, contains a "War of the Gods" crossover issue.

• Batman '66 Vol. 1

Collects the digital series based on the TV show.

• Batman Anthology
• Joker Anthology

In the spirit of the Superman and Lois Lane collections from this year, DC's releasing a Batman Anthology and a Joker Anthology to celebrate Batman's 75th birthday (Superman and Lois Lane is to Batman and ... Joker. Draw your own conclusions). I don't know the exact contents of either, but the Batman Anthology includes stories by Bob Kane, Bill Finger, Dennis O'Neil, and Frank Miller.

• Batman by Doug Moench and Kelley Jones Vol. 1

This is one fans have been requesting for a while. Doug Moench's stories were wonderfully supernatural, and Kelley Jones's art had creepiness dripping off every page.

Collects Batman #515-525, 527-532 and 535-536, including part of the previously uncollected "Troika" storyline, an "Underworld Unleashed" issue, and piece of the "Contagion" crossover, plus appearances by Black Mask, Killer Croc, Swamp Thing, Scarecrow, Two-Face, and Deadman.

Issue #526, omitted from this book, is by Moench but with art by JH Williams; it's collected in the Tales of the Batman: JH Williams collection, elsewhere in this list. The collection also omits two "Legacy" issues, #533 and #534, but you can find those in the Legacy collection.

This collection ends with the first of a three-part Man-Bat story (also a "Final Night" crossover); it's strange to end a collection like this on a cliffhanger, but maybe that helps promise a Volume 2 to follow.

Later stories would include the Spectre, Joker, Penguin, Clayface, and Ragman, and a "Genesis" crossover.

• Batman: Arkham Asylum Living Hell Deluxe Edition

This Dan Slott/Ryan Sook miniseries ended up in continuity after "One Year Later"; I'm sure a deluxe edition will be an attractive book.

• Batman: Bruce Wayne - Murderer? (New Edition)
• Batman: Bruce Wayne - Fugitive (New Edition)

Following DC's recent expanded collections of Knightfall and No Man's Land, Batman: Murderer and Batman: Fugitive each get new single-volume trades. I don't believe the contents list that I have is accurate, but I'm told each of these will include previously uncollected material; the original collections did have some holes, so this is nice to hear.

• Brightest Day Omnibus

Collects Brightest Day #0-24. On one hand, you've got a story by Geoff Johns, Peter Tomasi, and artists including Ivan Reis and Patrick Gleason, and staring Aquaman, especially, and about half of this book did lead right in to some New 52 series, Aquaman and Hawk and Dove especially. On the other hand, this is a book significantly out of continuity and that received mixed reviews; my armchair sense is that sales potential on this one is iffy.

• Catwoman Vol. 3: Under Pressure

Yes! This collection contains Catwoman #25-37, which finishes out Ed Brubaker's run and sees Catwoman through the "War Games" crossover. Most of Brubaker's Catwoman run had been collected before these new, larger trades, but these issues have never been collected before.

• Damian: Son of Batman Deluxe Edition

Collects Andy Kubert's Damian, Son of Batman miniseries, plus Batman #666.

• DC Universe Vs. Masters of the Universe

In addition to Keith Giffen's DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe (Masters of the DC Universe?) miniseries, this collection also includes 1982's DC Comics Presents #47, where He-Man met Superman for the first time.

• Deadman Book Five

This one's for Don Klees. Collects Deadman #1-4, Secret Origins #15, and Challengers of the Unknown #85-87.

• Doom Patrol Omnibus

Another one fans have been requesting for a while. This collects Grant Morrison's entire Doom Patrol run, #19-63, in one volume, plus the Doom Force Special.

• Final Crisis (New Edition)

No word on whether this newest Final Crisis collection contains the Batman issues or the 3-D, but it's supposed to include "all new additional story pages," which sounds like the recent extra material from the Absolute edition.

• Green Arrow by Kevin Smith Deluxe Edition

Collects in one volume Kevin Smith's "Quiver" and "Sounds of Violence" stories, previously in separate trades.

• Harley Quinn: Welcome to Metropolis

Continuing DC's collections of the Karl Kesel/Terry Dodson series; includes issues #14-25.

• JLA Vol. 5

So far, the first four of these JLA collections have re-collected the Grant Morrison books, first in hardcover and then in paperback. This one is straight to paperback, and collects all of Mark Waid's JLA run, issues #47-60, including the "Tower of Babel," "Queen of Fables," and "Terror Incognita" storylines, plus JLA: Heaven's Ladder. Art on much of this is by Bryan Hitch.

• John Constantine, Hellblazer Vol. 8: Rake at the Gates of Hell

This Hellblazer collection by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillion was previously released; this is a "re-cut" collection, though I'm not entirely sure what that means.

• Jonah Hex: Shadows West

Collects the Jonah Hex miniseries Two Gun Mojo, Shadows West, and Riders of the Worm and Such, some of which have been collected before, but not together. By Joe Landsale and Tim Truman.

• JSA Omnibus by Geoff Johns Vol. 1

Let's start with the fact that finally, finally, we have a JSA Omnibus. John's Teen Titans and Hawkman, which also received omnibuses, were both good series, and no knock against Johns's Flash run, but for me, JSA is one of his best early works. I'm very happy about this, and I hope you are, too.

Take a moment with it.

OK, now the bad news is that, in addition to a variety of specials and one-shots, the regular JSA issues collected here start with #6 and go to #28.

Yes, this means the omnibus contains the Darkness Falls and Return of Hawkman collections, and part of Fair Play (stopping a little before the superlative "Stealing Thunder" storyline, which'll undoubtedly be in the next volume), but does not contain David Goyer and James Robinson's JSA #1-5, Justice Be Done. Yes, if you're someone looking to get into JSA for the first time, it does mean you're missing the first five issues.

Obviously I wish this wasn't the case. Obviously I wish this was a JSA Omnibus and not specifically a JSA by Geoff Johns Omnibus. But we have been waiting a long time for this book, and I'd rather have something instead of nothing. Go back to your happy moment, as I did when I first heard about this, and stick with your initial excitement. At least the omission isn't from the middle of the book.

Also included are the JSA Annual #1, JSA Secret Files #2, JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice, JSA: Our Worlds at War #1, JLA/JSA Secret Files #1, Secret Origins of Super-Villains 80-Page Giant #1, and JSA All Stars #1-8. So, not an insubstantial trade altogether.

• Justice League of America Vol. 1 Omnibus

There was a Justice League of America Chronicles that DC solicited a while ago, that was subsequently canceled. I'm pretty sure they've switched those Chronicles all over to Omnibuses now. This one collects Brave and the Bold #28-30, Justice League of America #1-16, and Mystery in Space #75.

• Masters of the Universe Vol. 3

Includes Masters #1-6 plus the digital issue #8.

• Showcase Presents: Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew
• Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex Vol. 2
• Showcase Presents: The Great Disaster featuring the Atomic Knights

There was a controversy a little while back where certain solicited Showcase volumes were canceled due to royalty issues, including Captain Carrot, Atomic Knights, and Jonah Hex. All three are back on the schedule now.

• Showcase Presents: Super Friends Vol. 1

Collects Super Friends #1-34. I don't know, will this be the same if you can't see the Wonder Twins' purple outfits?

• Smallville Season 11 Vol. 4: Argo

Collects digital issues #13-15 plus the Smallville Season Eleven Special #2, by Bryan Miller.

• Spectre Vol. 1: Crimes and Judgements

Another I'm very excited about -- the masterful John Ostrander/Tom Mandrake series gets a new collection (following the new collection of Ostrander and Mandrake's Martian Manhunter). This collects issues #1-12; issues #1-6 were previously collected in a Crime and Punishment trade (with glow-in-the-dark cover!). Ostrander and Mandrake paired for almost 62 issues of this series; I'd love to see them all collected.

• Superman/Batman Vol. 1 - Public Enemies

This new edition of Public Enemies in paperback -- again, setting things up for the movie -- includes both the "Public Enemies" and "Supergirl" storylines, issues #1-13.

• Swamp Thing by Brian K. Vaughan Vol. 2

Collecting issues #11-20 of Vaughan's Swamp Thing series.

• Tales of the Batman: Carmine Infantino

Batman, Detective, and Brave and the Bold issues.

• Tales of the Batman: J.H. Williams III

I haven't been much for these Tales of the Batman collections personally, but this one, containing a bevy of modern material, catches my interest. Batman #526 and #550, Legends of the Dark Knight #86-88, and the "Pulp Heroes" Annual #21 are all written by Doug Moench; #667-669 are from the Black Glove collection with Grant Morrison; "Snow" from Legends of the Dark Knight #192-196 is written by Dan Curtis Johnson and Williams with art by Seth Fisher; and Detective Comics #821 is written by Paul Dini. Also includes Chase #7-8, which guest-starred Batman.

And some honorable mentions:

• Arrow Vol. 2
• Batman Beyond: Batgirl Beyond
• Batman Unwrapped: The Court of Owls
• Batman/Deathblow: After the Fire
• Injustice: Gods Among Us Vol. 2

The New 52
• Batgirl Vol. 4: Wanted

Includes the Villains Month Ventriloquist issue.

• Batman Vol. 4: Zero Year-Secret City

Collects Batman #21-24, #0, and Batman Annual #2.

• Birds of Prey Vol. 4

Collects Birds of Prey #18-25 and Talon #9.

• Catwoman Vol. 4

Includes the Catwoman Annual and the Villains Month Joker's Daughter issue.

• Flash Vol. 4: Reverse

This latest Flash volume is said to include issues #20-24, plus the Villains Month Gorilla Grodd and Reverse Flash issues.

• Green Lantern: Lights Out
• Green Lantern Vol. 4
• Green Lantern Corps Vol. 4
• Green Lantern: New Guardians Vol. 4
• Red Lanterns Vol. 4

Signaling perhaps a change in how DC might be collecting crossovers, all of the new Green Lantern books contain issues #24 of all the other series, the "Lights Out" crossover. For instance, Green Lantern collects issues #21-24 of its own series, the Green Lantern Annual #2, and the Villains Month Relic issue, plus issue #24 of the others; Green Lantern Corps includes issues #21-25 of its own series plus #24 of all the others, etc. This might seem like overkill, but indeed it means you can get a complete story in whatever book you might pick up (useful, perhaps, as readers acclimate to the new Green Lantern creative teams). There's also an individual collection of the "Lights Out" crossover, though everything it includes can also be found elsewhere.

• Justice League Vol. 4

Collects Justice League #18-23, so that bridges the gap between Throne of Atlantis and Trinity War.

• Justice League: Trinity War

Collects Justice League #21-23, Justice League of America #6-7, Justice League Dark #22-23, Constantine #5-6, Trinity of Sin: Pandora #1-3, and Trinity of Sin: Phantom Stranger #11.

• Justice League Dark Vol. 4: Horror City

Collects issues #19-23 plus the Villains Month Eclipso issue.

• Larfleeze Vol. 1

Collects issues #1-5 of the new series.

• Nightwing Vol. 4

Collects issues #19-24 plus the Villains Month Prankster issue. (Zach King points out there's not actually a Villains Month Prankster issue. Not sure what's being referred to here.)

• Suicide Squad Vol. 4: Discipline and Punish

Collects Suicide Squad #20-23 plus the Villains Month Deadshot and Harley Quinn issues.

• Superman - Action Comics Vol. 4: Hybrid

Supposed to contain a selection from Young Romance #1.

• Talon Vol. 2

Collects Talon #8-14 plus Birds of Prey #21.

• Wonder Woman Vol. 4: War

Contains Wonder Woman #19-23 plus the Villains Month First Born issue.

And a "few" additional New 52 collections:

• All Star Western Vol. 4: Gold Standard
• Animal Man Vol. 4: Splinter Species
• Aquaman Vol. 4: Death of a King
• Batman - Detective Comics Vol. 4
• Batman - The Dark Knight Vol. 4
• Batman and Robin Vol. 4
• Batman/Superman Vol. 1
• Batwing Vol. 4
• Batwoman Vol. 4: This Blood is Thick
• Constantine Vol. 2
• Earth 2 Vol. 3: War
• Green Arrow Vol. 4: The Kill Machine
• Justice League of America Vol. 2
• Justice League of America's Vibe Vol. 2
• Katana Vol. 2
• Movement Vol. 1
• Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 4
• Stormwatch Vol. 4: Reset
• Superboy Vol. 4: Blood and Steel
• Supergirl Vol. 4
• Superman Unchained Vol. 1
• Superman Vol. 4
• Swamp Thing Vol. 4: Seeder
• Teen Titans Vol. 4: Light and Dark
• Trinity of Sin: Pandora Vol. 1
• Trinity of Sin: The Phantom Stranger Vol. 2
• World's Finest Vol. 3

Whew! Who thought we'd ever see that JSA Omnibus? Or Brubaker's Catwoman Vol. 3? In this whole wide list, what's got you most excited?
http://collectededitions.blogspot.co...l#comment-form
Old 08-23-13, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Early DC collected editions for 2014

Doug Moench/Kelley Jones Batman omnibus? I hated Kelley Jones' art. People have actually been requesting this to be collected?

Personally I would love to see an Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle Batman omnibus. Their work on Batman is my favorite comic run of all time.
Old 08-23-13, 10:51 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not seeing a lot here that grabs me. I'll get the Doom Patrol omnibus. I might or might not get the JSA omnibus -- it would be a sure sale if they include the first five issues, but as it is, I'm much less interested.

I'm always a fan of the Showcase volumes, so I'll be getting all those. Classic Jonah Hex is awesome, and I love, love, love Captain Carrot. And while the Great Disaster volume is not quite as tempting as it was when they announced it six years ago since, in the intervening time, we got the Atomic Knights Omnibus, I'll still pick it up for the other content.

Edit: Somehow I missed the Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre volume. Count me in for that. Speaking of Ostrander, it's too bad they only did one volume of his Suicide Squad.

Last edited by JasonF; 08-24-13 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-24-13, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

The Morrison Doom Patrol Omnibus sounds good, but I also would have included the Flex Mentallo series in there, too. Might have to pick this up along with the Animal Man omnibus.

Hellblazer vol 8: The Rake at the Gates of Hell - not sure what they mean by "re-cut," whether it's a reference to some new or changed content, or if they just mean that it's part of the new Hellblazer TPB series that they're currently running that collects the series from the beginning. I also wonder if they're stopping at the end of Ennis' run, or if they'll continue on with Paul Jenkins' run, which so far is about the only Hellblazer era that has never been reprinted. I'll probably pass on this since I picked up the first volume and found the paper quality to be abysmal, and haven't purchased any more since. Maybe they'll do Hellblazer omnibuses someday. (I have all 300 issues of Hellblazer, so there's no need for the TPBs other than convenience.)

Jonah Hex: Shadows West is a surprising entry. After the lawsuit, I never though the Lansdale/Truman Jonah Hexes would ever see the light of day again.

Spectre Vol. 1: Crimes and Judgements. Looks like they're planning on TPBing the whole run. I finally read this a few years ago, it was sort of good, but after all of the hype I was expecting it to be better.
Old 08-24-13, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Giving it a bit more thought, I'd really like to see Omnibus editions of the formative Vertigo series:

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (#20-64; Annual 2)
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
Grant Morrison's Animal Man
Hellblazer vol. 1 (#1-40, Annual 1; the Delano run)
Hellblazer vol. 2 (#41-83, Special 1; the Garth Ennis run)
Shade the Changing Man vol 1 (#1-35)
Shade the Changing Man vol 2 (#36-70)
or just one big book with Shade the Changing Man #1-50 since many didn't like the arc that ran from #51-70.

We're getting the Morrison DP and AM, along with Gaiman's Sandman (which is already available in Absolute editions). Can the others be far behind?

And then Preacher omnibuses? Transmetropolitan omnibuses?
Old 08-24-13, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I'll probably get the New 52 Batman trades eventually as well as the Batman '66 Volume One trade.
Old 08-24-13, 05:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

I see much of my spare income going into these.
Old 08-24-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Glad to see Captain Carrot back on the schedule. I read this back in the day but have absolutely no recollection of what it was like.
Old 08-26-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

We'll see how many of these collections actually see print. DC has gotten in the habit of canceling announced collections if they don't meet certain pre-order totals. I could go through a litany of supposed collections which have disappeared after Amazon put them up for pre-order.

If you read the comments over at Collected Editions, it looks like DC will continue their maddening trend of dropping issues from omnibuses not linked to the primary writer/artist in the run. The first five issues of the JSA omnibus are not included because they were written by someone other than Johns.
Old 08-26-13, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If you read the comments over at Collected Editions, it looks like DC will continue their maddening trend of dropping issues from omnibuses not linked to the primary writer/artist in the run. The first five issues of the JSA omnibus are not included because they were written by someone other than Johns.
That's so messed up. Unless the series was on hiatus after issue 5 and drastically rebooted, it's stupid.
Old 08-26-13, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
That's so messed up. Unless the series was on hiatus after issue 5 and drastically rebooted, it's stupid.
No -- the first five issues (plus the Secret Files & Origins, which came out before issue 1) were written by James RObinson and David Goyer. That was the first story arc, followed immediately the next month by issue 6, which was written by Geoff Johns and David Goyer. It's just pure idiocy on DC's part not to include those issues. But then again, "pure idiocy" seems to be the driving principle in DC's approach to collected editions.

BTW, for those who aren't familiar with the name, David Goyer is the guy who wrote all 3 of Nolan's Batman movies plus Snyder's Superman movie, and is currently hard at work on the forthcoming Superman/Batman movie. So it's not as if he's some schmuck who can't hold a candle to Geoff Johns.
Old 08-26-13, 11:56 AM

Luckily I already have much of that JSA run in floppies or TPBs, so I'm not really tempted by the Omnibus. Although I guess if it had been complete I may have sold/traded my hodgepodge and went Omni.
Old 08-26-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
What makes it more messed up is that it's rumored Johns was the ghost-writer for the first five issues. DC's tightness in paying royalties to multiple creators continue...

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 08-26-13 at 10:02 PM.