Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last comic-related TV show you watched?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last comic-related TV show you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: What's the last comic-related TV show you watched?

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
The Flash
It's been amazing how much the show has pulled from the comics in some way. While they aren't duplicating every little detail of Flash's long history in the comics, they've gotten the essence of Barry Allen down better than I thought possible.

If they can somehow bring parallel worlds onto the show, I think I can die happy as a Flash fan.
Old 12-02-14, 11:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Walking Dead based on the comic book series of the same name by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard. It tells the story of a small group of survivors living in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. Super interesting.
Old 12-13-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

The Flash.
Old 12-13-14, 01:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I seem to be watching a lot of Tick lately.
Old 03-26-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just watched the vol. 3 DVD of Legion of Super-Heroes and figured it was more appropriate to discuss here than there.

I'm a big Legion fan so was always incredulous that they made an animated series of it, but then I somehow never got around to watching the third DVD (they broke up the first season into their annoying volume system as they often do with material they figure is aimed at kids). This volume had five episodes to complete the first season, and it had nerdy stuff like the Substitute Heroes and ended with the story of Ferro Lad, which still got to me in this format.

As far as I can tell, the second season was never released on disc or in digital format. Maybe Warner Archive will get to it someday.
Old 03-26-15, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Just watched the vol. 3 DVD of Legion of Super-Heroes and figured it was more appropriate to discuss here than there.

I'm a big Legion fan so was always incredulous that they made an animated series of it, but then I somehow never got around to watching the third DVD (they broke up the first season into their annoying volume system as they often do with material they figure is aimed at kids). This volume had five episodes to complete the first season, and it had nerdy stuff like the Substitute Heroes and ended with the story of Ferro Lad, which still got to me in this format.

As far as I can tell, the second season was never released on disc or in digital format. Maybe Warner Archive will get to it someday.
I forgot about that show, never got around to watching it.

Glad to see they stayed close to the comics though; hearing that the Ferro Lad story and Substitue Legion is in it puts it on my buy list.
Old 03-26-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
I forgot about that show, never got around to watching it.

Glad to see they stayed close to the comics though; hearing that the Ferro Lad story and Substitue Legion is in it puts it on my buy list.
Yeah, it's really nerdy for a kid-oriented show. There's a three-pack that's much cheaper than the individual volumes.

And I forgot to mention that it ties in nicely to DC month as well.
Old 03-26-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Yeah, I was looking for that show a few months ago, and was surprised they never released the whole thing. With my kids now growing up and really into superheroes, I thought that show and stuff like Krypto for the younger one would be great.
Old 03-26-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I watched a few episodes of Krypto and remember them being pretty solid.
Old 03-26-15, 04:36 PM

Found the Legion set at Amazon for $10 shipped, with $6 Prime Pantry credit (?!).
Old 03-26-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Found the Legion set at Amazon for $10 shipped, with $6 Prime Pantry credit (?!).
Yeah, that's the one I mentioned earlier, and now Jen is going to hate me.

I've thought about picking it up myself, but I guess I keep hoping for a better release. At this point, though, I'm sure it'd be MOD or digital.
Old 03-26-15, 05:36 PM

She doesn't read DVDTalk, so can't identify my pushers and dealers.

On topic, I'm finally watching Smallville. We started season two a couple days ago.
Old 03-28-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did the first season of Legion only have 13 episodes? Because that's all that's on these three DVDs.
Old 03-28-15, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did the first season of Legion only have 13 episodes? Because that's all that's on these three DVDs.
Yep, two seasons of 13 episodes each.
Old 03-28-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For a show distinctly aimed at children under 10, that Krypto series was highly watchable. I completely recommend it as a gateway drug to DC comics for your children.

They did butcher that Legion of Superheroes show on DVD. Despite DC DVDs selling fairly well, I don't ever expect to see it completely released on home video. Streaming might get it but I don't see it available for some reason except season one.

It was the show that wanted to use Superboy with the Legion, but that big lawsuit was going on at the time. They used a very young-looking Superman in his place.
Old 03-29-15, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, in the first episode I thought he was going to say his new name was Superboy, but he said Superman instead. That explains it.
Old 03-29-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Warner believes that Superboy's copyright could be taken from them, which is why the character has been permanently removed from merchandising and entertainment products. He was created after Superman and the version of Clark Kent dressed up as Superboy has different copyright issues than Superman himself. It's why he was called Superboy Prime when DC Comics brought him back a decade ago.

I don't think he'll ever return for legal reasons, DC doesn't want to split the revenue.
Old 03-29-15, 07:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched the second episode of iZombie on dvr today. It was as enjoyable as the first one, so I think I will be sticking with it.
Old 03-29-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The DCAU again. I'm heartbroken that Netflix is dropping it, between it and Amazon Prime, I FINALLY had the whole DCAU . First world problems, I know . BTAS has some clunky animation, but the storytelling is still pretty strong. STAS is fantastic, as failed Superman projects pile up around DC's ankles, it looks better and better every year, and it's a brilliant take on the Fourth World as well. The TMS episodes look gorgeous. TNBA is a little hit-or-miss, I don't think Batman took to the revamped style as well as Superman did, but there are some stunners like "Over the Edge. Batman Beyond holds up better than I remember. It's fundamentally a gimmick, but most episodes have really cool cyberpunk design aesthetics, and the storyboard crews rarely fail to come up with some cool set pieces. The first season is the strongest, after the dropped Blight and the corporate angle and the network insisted on more high school-centric stuff, it wasn't quite as consistent, but it certainly wasn't without its highlights. Hilariously, WB wanted the teenage Batman to appeal to more kid viewers, and the show wound up being a very dark show with a wickedly nasty edge. Justice League is really weak for the first season, you can tell the scale of it really cowed them and they didn't know how to handle it. It improved beyond recognition in season two though, and JLU is even better, handling the scale and the number of characters with great skill. Personally, I've always thought it was at its best when it was dark, the comedy episodes of the DCAU are fun, but I think it's at its best when it's edgier. Damn you, Netflix !
Old 03-30-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have to agree, Superman: The Animated Series looks better and better every year. I still think Timm made Superman a bit of a weakling in the series but he nailed the entire supporting cast perfectly, including the main villains. His takes on Lois Lane and Luthor are fantastic, probably the definitive modern interpretations. The Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker movie is still the single best animated film DC has ever produced. It's one of the few movies I can watch over and over.
Old 03-30-15, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I have to agree, Superman: The Animated Series looks better and better every year. I still think Timm made Superman a bit of a weakling in the series but he nailed the entire supporting cast perfectly, including the main villains. His takes on Lois Lane and Luthor are fantastic, probably the definitive modern interpretations. The Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker movie is still the single best animated film DC has ever produced. It's one of the few movies I can watch over and over.
I saw only clips of Superman: The animated series and I wasn't bowled over but maybe that's because I was already spoiled from the Batman cartoons. But I really like the voice actors and the designs for Lois and Lex Luthor. After I get the Seasons 2+ for Superboy I'll check out the cartoons.

And yes, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker is probably one of the best animated films, vying with Mask of the Phantasm for the top spot. Easily one of the best Joker portrayals. I still need to track down the uncensored version.
Old 04-11-15, 07:18 PM

Daredevil
Old 04-29-15, 10:54 AM

In a few minutes it'll be this.....
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I posted this over in the streaming forum. But thought you guys might be interested too.

Necessary Evil: The Super-Villains of DC Comics is currently FREE. Make sure you click "Buy HD Free".

Old 05-04-15, 05:22 PM

The Flash. I am basically finally caught up with AOS and The Flash (need to watch past weeks episode of each show), so I can finally make some in-roads this weekend on Arrow (behind by 11 eps after this weeks show, but I have caught up with worse deficits).
Old 05-04-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
The Flash. I am basically finally caught up with AOS and The Flash (need to watch past weeks episode of each show), so I can finally make some in-roads this weekend on Arrow (behind by 11 eps after this weeks show, but I have caught up with worse deficits).
The Flash: great show...or greatest show ever?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.