Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Old 08-05-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you read?

Shelf space is always an issue, but I just took a look at my collection and it's not THAT bad. My trades are pretty much on three separate bookshelves, with about four shelves each of Marvel and DC (one each of Bat-family and Legion of Superheroes). Toss in a shelf and a half of omniboo, about a shelf each for Dark Horse and Vertigo, maybe a couple shelves of Image (Walking Dead and Invincible, the only two trades I read as soon as I get them), a shelf of Tintin/Asterix/European, sword/sorcery, and Disney. While I love trades, I've only been collecting them for about a decade or so when I had a comics rebirth, and I've never bought them in huge volume. I do have a number of boxes from years ago that I'll need to do something with eventually.

DVDs are a much bigger problem for me.

But I'm sure both issues are best addressed in other Trevor threads.
Old 08-05-13, 11:31 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yep, space issues suck. I currently have four fully loaded bookcases dedicated to graphic novels, with enough excess to fill another two perhaps.

We're currently thinking about buying a single family home that would double our space. I'd end up with a room about 12 by 12 dedicated completely to comics and trades.
It fills up faster than you'd think.
Old 08-06-13, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
Man, where do you guys shelve all this stuff? I went from getting tired of boxes and boxes of comics, to getting tired of filling bookshelves with hardcovers and tpbs. There's just no room anymore, which is largely why I go digital for a lot of recent stuff, especially if it's on sale.
Originally Posted by davidh777
S
DVDs are a much bigger problem for me.
I'm in the process of moving this week and am really hating my collection. A box full of TPBs, even if it's not very big, weighs a ton.
Old 08-07-13, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm reading the Path of the Assassin series from Dark Horse. Apparently 16th century Japanese men raped women every other day or so.
Old 08-07-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I found this at the library and checked it out. What the heck, since I never read it and have heard a lot of snark about it. I recognized the covers so clearly it was from the time I was buying comics, but I wasn't buying Spidey. (I never did as a kid, except for my Marvel Team-Up subscription.)

Overall, it was OK. Interesting concept, but a little lame in how Spidey kind of ho-hummed the big revelation
Spoiler:
("Oh, so this Gwen is a clone! Cool--that explains why she's back.")
. I do like how they included arcs from both ASM and PPSSM, and it reminded me how interesting a character Spidey is. I've heard about PPSSM and how it emphasizes PP, but I've never read it so I'm interested in trying an Essential.

Another vacation read: I found this on my shelf and remembered reading a bunch of FF Essentials, but I flipped through this one and decided I hadn't read it. As it turned out, I'd read random floppies of issues 161 and 168 back in the day but nothing in between. I've said this before here, but one of the best things about reading TPBs is filling in the blanks that I never read before and might have only seen referred to in flashbacks and recaps. I'm only partway through it, but it's always nice to see George Perez art. I was annoyed at the Perez FF TPB they released a few years back because they skipped the issues that he didn't pencil and left gaps out of the stories.

Originally Posted by starman9000
I'm in the process of moving this week and am really hating my collection. A box full of TPBs, even if it's not very big, weighs a ton.
Totally understand that.
Old 08-08-13, 08:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Took a break from my DC Continuity Journey and started my first New 52 TPB, Justice League Dark. I'm only a third of the way in but am enjoying it. I'm very biased though, as these are largely the characters I've loved since the 1970s. Add frequent guest appearances from Swamp Thing and The Demon and this series may as well have been designed solely for me.
Old 08-11-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finished:

Reading:

Mutant Genesis was just awful, almost unreadable. Chris Claremont's last run on the X-Men, at least for a few years, and he is at his bloviated worst. It's also the start of Scott Lobdell's run on the title, so it is just garbage all around. And while I won't argue that Jim Lee is a talented guy, I was just never a fan of his style. All of the panels are cluttered and noisy, every character has the same facial expression, and most of the time it is incredibly difficult to tell just what is happening. Not to mention the dialogue and captions, which are so cluttered and dense, that it is often hard to tell exactly what order they are supposed to be read in. Such a joyless chore to get through.

I had re-read Claremont's Uncanny run recently, from #94-140, and was amazed at how fun and fresh they still feel. None of that energy or charm was here though.
Old 08-11-13, 03:39 PM

I could never get into X-Men, which is probably a good thing given my completest OCD. I enjoyed the first year or two of The New Mutants though.

I hope you enjoy the Justice League book more. The goofiness bothered me at first, but I ended up really enjoying the Giffen Maguire stuff.
Old 08-12-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Sat down and re-read Maus today.
Old 08-12-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im finishing up first volume of Preacher and gonna start watchman. both are first time reads.
Old 08-12-13, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Sat down and re-read Maus today.
Originally Posted by terrycloth
Im finishing up first volume of Preacher and gonna start watchman. both are first time reads.
I'm jealous.

With Watchmen, I suggest reading it intently to get the most out of it, don't skip any of the text or backup stories. It's a dense read, but well worth it.
Old 08-14-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
It will be the first of many reads of Watchmen for you.
Old 08-14-13, 07:43 AM
Suspended

I just read Capote in Kansas. Outstanding.

Starman9000, I'm also working my way through the Starman Omnis per your suggestion. I'm near the end of volume 4. I had read bits and pieces of Starman back in the day and thought it was pretty good, but it really does read so much better as a cohesive whole (not surprisingly).
Old 08-14-13, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I just read Capote in Kansas. Outstanding.

Starman9000, I'm also working my way through the Starman Omnis per your suggestion. I'm near the end of volume 4. I had read bits and pieces of Starman back in the day and thought it was pretty good, but it really does read so much better as a cohesive whole (not surprisingly).
The free preview of Capote in Kansas on Comixolgy was very good. I'll pick up the trade someday.

I know I need to read Starman someday. I have a few floppies and trades, but those Omnis sure look tempting.
Old 08-14-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Read Deadpool Classic Vol 1 and Deadpool Vol. 1 from Secret Invasion. First time reading Deadpool specific comics, and enjoying them.
Old 08-14-13, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Read Deadpool Classic Vol 1 and Deadpool Vol. 1 from Secret Invasion. First time reading Deadpool specific comics, and enjoying them.
Joe Kelly's entire run on Deadpool is worth reading. There's an issue where he takes an old Lee/Ditko Spider-Man issue and has Deadpool time travel back to take Spider-Man's place that is absolutely priceless.
Old 08-14-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Joe Kelly's entire run on Deadpool is worth reading. There's an issue where he takes an old Lee/Ditko Spider-Man issue and has Deadpool time travel back to take Spider-Man's place that is absolutely priceless.
The other Deadpool Classic volumes aren't available on Kindle
Old 08-14-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The other Deadpool Classic volumes aren't available on Kindle
A Deadpool omnibus is coming out.
Old 08-14-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A Deadpool omnibus is coming out.
Which doesn't really help
Old 08-19-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

read Preacher volume 2 today. can't wait till vol 3-4 arrive in the mail really enjoy this series so far.
Old 08-20-13, 04:38 PM
Suspended

Just finished Starman Omnibus volume 6. Thanks for recommending it, starman9000. I had always heard good things about the book, and I had read pieces here and there, but it really reads so much better when you sit down and read it as a cohesive whole. Particularly the Grand Guignol arc that really ties together a whole bunch of different plots from throughout the book's 80-issue run.

I picked up the Shade TPB colelcting the mini from a year or two ago, but I may give myself a break from James Robinson's Opal City and try something a little lighter -- perhaps the next volume of Deadpool Classic, or maybe some Silver Age stuff.
Old 08-21-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished reading the Deadpool volumes, from the start of the Secret Invasion arc up to Vol. 4 with Spider-man and Hit Monkey. Pretty fun stuff. How's Cable & Deadpool?
Old 08-22-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finished:

Really liked this one. When I was a kid, my friend would always tell me how great this series was, but I was a fan of more "serious" and darker super-hero comics. As I've gotten older though, I've found a lot of that stuff has simply not aged well. Now I tend to gravitate toward lighter, more energetic stuff. I liked seeing the different dynamics between each character. Even Batman is relatively fun. The "nice" Guy Gardner bit (after he gets knocked out by Batman) is hilarious. Looking forward to checking out the rest of the books.
Old 08-26-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Trevor, I don't know when your Bronze Age quest will get to Marvel, but I couldn't resist these three Marvel Firsts: 1970s volumes. They pull out some really obscure stuff, and sometimes it just whets the appetite for more, but it's pretty fun. Quality printing too, though it makes the thought of continuing a series in Essentials format a bit less appealing.

I passed on the 1960s volume figuring I'd have a lot of that in other formats, and I see they're continuing with WWII and the '80s.

Old 08-26-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Just finished Starman Omnibus volume 6. Thanks for recommending it, starman9000. I had always heard good things about the book, and I had read pieces here and there, but it really reads so much better when you sit down and read it as a cohesive whole. Particularly the Grand Guignol arc that really ties together a whole bunch of different plots from throughout the book's 80-issue run.

I picked up the Shade TPB colelcting the mini from a year or two ago, but I may give myself a break from James Robinson's Opal City and try something a little lighter -- perhaps the next volume of Deadpool Classic, or maybe some Silver Age stuff.
That Shade series came out? That was the one that was on death's door because people were waiting for the collection, right? Or is it a different one? Did that post new-52 one actually end properly?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.