Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I just read the first trade of Fables. Really entertaining, I was giving it a shot thinking I'd play the game after familiarizing myself with the comic.
Old 10-27-13, 09:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you read?

I just finished the first new 52 Supergirl trade and enjoyed it. Anyone else? I think I'll order the next trade.
Old 10-27-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finished:

These issues came out when I was a kid but I never really had much interest in Thor. Man, what a dumb fucking kid I was. These are fantastic. Really epic storytelling which combines Norse mythology with the 80s Marvel Universe. So much fun.
Old 10-27-13, 06:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
These issues came out when I was a kid but I never really had much interest in Thor. Man, what a dumb fucking kid I was.
I have distinct memories of buying both of these issues off the stands and not being impressed with either:

Which just proves: kids are fucking stupid.

To be fair, both Miller's Daredevil and Simonson's Thor benefit immensely from the context of the larger story. And I was probably a little too young to really appreciate Miller's Daredevil. But still -- I was a dumbass.
Old 10-30-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I honestly wasn't super impressed. It was an interesting premise and parts were engaging, but it felt like it meandered and couldn't hold onto its direction for the entire story.
Old 10-30-13, 04:12 PM

I just finished Girls. I absolutely loved it until the ending, which was sort of meh. I'm not sure how it could've been better, but it just seemed sort of anticlimactic.
Old 11-09-13, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think Tank
Old 11-09-13, 08:21 PM
Cool New Member

Sandman Vol. 6 - Fables And Reflections
Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 5

Up Next...
Grimm Fairy Tales Myths And Legends Vol. 1
Spawn Origins Vol. 16
Old 11-10-13, 09:19 AM

Finishing up Justice League Dark volume two today. I've probably said it before but this series is so in my lifelong wheelhouse that it's as if DC had an editorial meeting where the subject was, "Let's design a series for Trevor Williams." Now if only they could blackmail Moore and Gaiman to co-write it with Wrightson and Golden doing the art.
Old 11-10-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

In prep for the movie, I blew through this, Mighty Thor Omnibus 2:

Some of the best, most creative art Jack Kirby ever did, and that's saying a lot.
Old 11-10-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finished:

I had re-read Marvels last year and found that it held up pretty well. I was curious to see if the sequel was any good. It's OK. The premise is similar to the original, with the Marvel Universe serving as the backdrop to Phil Sheldon's life as a photojournalist. Busiek returned to write, but the artwork is not done by Ross, but by some other dude, whose name I can't think of. What's interesting is how little the Marvels actually appear throughout the book. Like, maybe one panel every few pages. The story picks up around the mid-70s, when comics were starting to get darker and more mature. In the afterward, Busiek mentions that it was originally conceived as a 30-page story but then they decided to make it into a mini-series. It mostly held my interest but I think it would have benefited by being about half the length.
Old 11-11-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Finishing up Justice League Dark volume two today. I've probably said it before but this series is so in my lifelong wheelhouse that it's as if DC had an editorial meeting where the subject was, "Let's design a series for Trevor Williams." Now if only they could blackmail Moore and Gaiman to co-write it with Wrightson and Golden doing the art.
I don't know which issues volume 2 had, but I read a run of JLD from around where the team reformed with Black Orchid and enjoyed it (it was on sale at Comixology at one point, but not the whole series, so I bought what was there). Loved the callback to Books of Magic, though Amethyst and the I Vampire guy coming and going seemed like just a way to boost their series or something.

I recently read through the first omnibus of Hickman's Fantastic Four, which goes from when he started on Fantastic Four to the first five issues of Future Foundation. Loved it. It's an odd thing, I actually have almost the complete run in digital form from a comixology sale, but having it all together in one volume motivated me to keep on reading it, as opposed to comixology where I download a few issues at a time due to space considerations. I was so engrossed in the story that I continued on with the digital collection, since I'm sure the second omnibus won't be out for a while. (On a side note, it ticked me off that the series soon after split off into two series... I have all of FF but not Fantastic Four 600 and beyond, which I hope is in the second omnibus).
Old 11-11-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
That's not a bad idea.

I just finished up the Shazam! hardcover collecting the back-up feature from the new 52 Justice League. I'm still not sure how I feel about this new version of Billy Batson and Captain Marvel. I guess DC thought kids today would more readily identify with a nastier version of Billy.

The name change from Captain Marvel doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I assume this was done in case a movie was ever made for the character. I know that Warner has been trying since the '90s to make a Shazam movie. New Line had a script and everything ready to go when a couple of superhero movies notably tanked (Spawn and something else?). I've read the script and it was a pure kids' movie, aimed at 10-year-olds.
Old 11-12-13, 07:40 PM
Cool New Member

Anybody have any thoughts on West Coast Avengers Omnibus Vol. 2? It collects WEST COAST AVENGERS (1985) #17-41 and ANNUAL #2-3, AVENGERS ANNUAL #16, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #19, and DR. STRANGE (1974) #53. I'm not too familiar with the West Coast Avengers, and wouldn't mind getting into it.
Old 11-13-13, 12:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shadow Moses
Anybody have any thoughts on West Coast Avengers Omnibus Vol. 2? It collects WEST COAST AVENGERS (1985) #17-41 and ANNUAL #2-3, AVENGERS ANNUAL #16, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #19, and DR. STRANGE (1974) #53. I'm not too familiar with the West Coast Avengers, and wouldn't mind getting into it.
It's allright. 80s Steve Englehart, which may not hold up if you're used to modern comics, but for someone like me who grew up on that era of comics, I love it. This run includes a time travel epic, a battle with Zodiac, and a return look at some of Hank Pym's forgotten Silver Age foes.
Old 11-13-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked John Byrne's run on WC Avengers much better than what's in that Omnibus, which started right where this stops. Though it was a fairly brief run.
Old 11-13-13, 01:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101
I liked John Byrne's run on WC Avengers much better than what's in that Omnibus, which started right where this stops. Though it was a fairly brief run.
I quite enjoyed Byrne's run on WCA, and was disappointed by the early stop to it. He was apparently building to an Immortus storyline that sounded great.

However, I really dislike what he did to the Vision, though I will be the first to say the storyline was extremely well-executed and enjoyable. I just prefer the "Even an Android Can Cry" Vision, not the pale emotionless Vision.
Old 11-13-13, 02:32 AM
Banned

yoxi, cool iron man
Old 11-18-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just rocked X-O Manowar Deluxe. It was fantastic.
Old 11-19-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally read Batman The Court of Owls since I bought it super cheap on sale for Kindle. Pretty fun, I really want to read the next volume (and Vol 3).

Is Night of Owls worth reading? Looks like it overlaps the Batman issues, but includes some issues from the other characters - http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Night-O...d_sim_kstore_2
Old 11-19-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just picked up a pristine copy of Ultimate Watchman at Half Price Books. I was just checking it out last night but got sucked into it... Hoping to finish it by tonight.
Old 11-19-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

In prep for the movie, I blew through this, Mighty Thor Omnibus 2:

Some of the best, most creative art Jack Kirby ever did, and that's saying a lot.
How can you tell when Kirby is being creative? I'm serious. I re-watched some X-Files episodes, and the stuff that was so awesome in 1998 looks like every spooky television show made today. Kirby has been so influential that I wouldn't be able to tell when he was doing something that was completely new at the time.
Old 11-19-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know. Maybe X-Files was never as good as you thought?
A better comparison to Kirby would be to say that Beatles sound like every pop-rock song made today, which is of course silly.
Old 11-21-13, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

+1

The West Coast Avengers' second omnibus is pretty standard, meat-and-potatoes superhero action from the '80s. Byrne greatly improved it with his run, which I think starts right after that Omnibus ends.
Old 11-26-13, 10:26 AM

I'm finishing up the first new 52 Hawk and Dove trade. Horrible. Why does Liefeld keep getting work?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.