DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 04-04-17, 01:56 PM   #576
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you read?

I read the first Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth trade. The story is very straightforward without a lot of surprises, though the art is excellent. Hal Jordan can now make Green Lantern rings with his own willpower. It hits a lot of familiar notes for long-time GL fans.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 04-16-17, 09:19 PM   #577
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Have had a good run of surprise autographed books lately. Tonight I read (again?) a great little indy book from 1999, the first collection of Astronauts in Trouble. Didn't expect to see the writer's signature on the title page, but there it was. I used to buy all of my books from Westfield Comics, and they occasionally worked deals with (usually lesser known or new) professionals to have books signed. Iirc, it was sometimes a surprise to get a signed book in your order, but usually it was advertised in their monthly catalog. Anyway, cool bonus on a great story. Like Warren Ellis said in the introduction, it really should be a big budget action movie.
Old 05-10-17, 01:16 PM   #578
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

David Mack's Kabuki: Circle Of Blood
Old 05-10-17, 02:52 PM   #579
DVD Talk Legend

I've been reading the first volume of Rebirth's Harley Quinn. I am not the biggest Harley fan and probably enjoy her more in other mediums than actual comics. This was a blind buy that I think I regret. Turning Harley into a funny anti-hero divorced from Joker's circle isn't a direction I can get behind.

The first arc has Harley fighting alien-infected zombies with a couple of ridiculous sub-plots.

Old 05-11-17, 07:57 AM   #580
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I've been reading the first volume of Rebirth's Harley Quinn. I am not the biggest Harley fan and probably enjoy her more in other mediums than actual comics. This was a blind buy that I think I regret. Turning Harley into a funny anti-hero divorced from Joker's circle isn't a direction I can get behind.

The first arc has Harley fighting alien-infected zombies with a couple of ridiculous sub-plots.
Just read both that book and the other new "Gang of Harleys" collection and I'll definitely not be continuing with either.

I just read Volume Two of the new "Green Arrow". I truly enjoyed the first volume, -it was one of my favorite "Rebirth" titles. I was disappointed with the latest collection, primarily because of the revolving door of artists used. While I still enjoy Herr Otto Schmidt's work on the series, he's only there for one issue, and the other artists are far too "cartoony" and the "story-telling" is lacking.

I also read "All-Star Batman", Volume One. Scott Snyder has a good idea here which would work well has a movie; it's a variation on the idea that the hero has to get another character from Point A to Point B while facing an ongoing army of killers along the way. However, while I'm generally a fan of John Romita Jr., his work is sloppy here (perhaps he was only doing rough layouts) and it just becomes a roll-call of villains rather than a series of propulsive action beats. Snyder does try to wedge a "character story" into the piece, but he has to re-invent "Two-Face" to a certain extent (as he has most of Batman's other key villains) and add yet more hitherto-unknown elements to Bruce Wayne's backstory. Of course, that's the weakness of having a character, -"Batman", -who's been written about so much and had his background scrambled and unscrambled in so many ways. It's just hard to care about him anymore.

Last edited by DWilson; 05-12-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 12:55 PM   #581
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say DC has maintained a more consistent characterization for Clark/Superman over the years than Batman. I'd even go so far to say that Batman comes off much differently in his own books than the team books. It's hard to really know Batman's core personality traits anymore once you get past his whole crusade on crime.

Old 05-12-17, 07:46 AM   #582
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I borrowed "The Flintstones" collection out of curiosity and, -to my surprise, -enjoyed it quite a bit. It helps that Mark Russell and Steve Pugh are the sole creative team, something fairly rare for a DC book these days. Looking at some of the covers in the back by other artists, I can see where this book could go horribly wrong without a consistent team. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the political humor was fairly even-handed.
Old 05-23-17, 02:31 PM   #583
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished Wonder Woman (Rebirth) Volume Two. This collects the "Year One" storyline that's published in every other issue of the twice-monthly book. The story by Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott is much lighter and more engaging than the other storyline by Rucka and Sharp (collected in Volume One).

Daredevil: Back in Black. Soulle and Garney have the unenviable task of following Waid and Samnee's long successful run with the character. They've gone back to a "darker" DD and the art is stylish and there's some nice character work. It feels as if they're trying to evoke the Netflix series, but it just didn't grab me. YMMV, definitely.
Old 05-23-17, 03:22 PM   #584
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I borrowed "The Flintstones" collection out of curiosity and, -to my surprise, -enjoyed it quite a bit. It helps that Mark Russell and Steve Pugh are the sole creative team, something fairly rare for a DC book these days. Looking at some of the covers in the back by other artists, I can see where this book could go horribly wrong without a consistent team. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the political humor was fairly even-handed.
I've only read Parker, Shaner, and Rude's Future Quest book from that line, but I loved it. A quality creative team really makes a difference in this age of crossovers and constant creative team shifts and changes.
Old 07-24-17, 04:41 PM   #585

Just getting back into comics after about 20 years out of the game.

Finished Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos TPB. Will start The Infinity Gauntlet next.

Picked up a few Omnibus' Age of Apocolypse, Onslaught, Astonishing X-MEN, New X-MEN, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Absolute Infinite Crisis, Batman: Nightfall, and The Death & Return of Superman.

Any other Omnibus' I should pick up? I was hoping to find my way back into Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Spider-Man, The Avengers and Justice League.
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
Old 07-24-17, 08:07 PM   #586
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Finally read the Will Eisner book from 2000, Minor Miracles. Another wonderful set of tales from Dropsie Avenue. A bit smaltzy perhaps, but the art is still sublime, and I found myself smiling and getting emotionally attached several times throughout the book.

If I was stranded on an island with only one creator's work, it'd probably have to be Eisner.
Old 07-24-17, 08:14 PM   #587
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post

Finished Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos TPB. Will start The Infinity Gauntlet next.

Picked up a few Omnibus' Age of Apocolypse, Onslaught, Astonishing X-MEN, New X-MEN, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Absolute Infinite Crisis, Batman: Nightfall, and The Death & Return of Superman.

Any other Omnibus' I should pick up? I was hoping to find my way back into Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Spider-Man, The Avengers and Justice League.
Sounds like you've got plenty to keep you busy. Once you parse through those and figure out your favorites, it'd be easier to find recommendations.

But for Fantastic Four, I'd suggest the original run (especially after you get past the first 20 issues or so) or the Byrne run. For Daredevil, the Miller-Jansons run. For all the Marvels, it'd probably be worth exploring the Epic line because they're relatively inexpensive and have good chunks of content to sink your teeth into.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-24-17, 08:50 PM   #588
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Mark Waid Daredevil Omnibus has been 60% off at InStockTrades for a while now. I've only read the first few issues of his run, but it was very highly regarded and a nice different take on the character from the usual grim Miller and Co. stuff of the last 35 years.

I've got three of the trades, but am wrestling with just grabbing the omni while it's cheap.

The Epic softcovers are AWESOME!. I've got a lot of that stuff in digital copies, but I'm still getting the paperbacks to read when I'm home. Love the form factor and the price.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-24-17 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 08:47 PM   #589
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post

All-Star Superman, Identity Crisis, Batman: The Long Halloween, Sinestro Corps War, Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds, Flashpoint, 52 omnibus, Forever Evil