Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Old 01-16-17, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you read?

I've been reading The Amazing Transformations of Jimmy Olsen trade.

It's a fun read highlighting random Silver Age issues in which Jimmy ends up with various powers. I believe all the included issues are from Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. I wonder why DC hasn't collected the various Superman Family books. We've mostly gotten small trades from that group.

I do love the mostly Curt Swan art. He's still the gold standard for drawing all the Superman characters.

Superman must have the patience of Job to put up with Jimmy's repeated idiocy. A good drinking game could be had if you drink every time Jimmy's called a "cub reporter" in these issues.
Old 01-17-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
They should be on Hoopla too.
Hoopla actually sent me a e-mail promo with dates for the upcoming "Rebirth" titles. DC must be making some effort to get the "Rebirth" trades out. My county library has each and every one of the new trades on order, so I'll be able to sample everything. Right now I have the "Green Arrow" trade in hand, and I suspect the "Superman" and "Batman" trades will show up later this week.
Old 01-17-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished the first Rebirth: Green Arrow trade and I was quite pleased for the most part. I haven't read a GA title since Judd Winick was the writer (though I watch the CW show), and so it took a while to "get" this mash-up of old Comics elements and some TV show elements. I much prefer Herr Otto Schmidt's art to the co-artist, but it was a good read and I'll be waiting for the next volume.

Last edited by DWilson; 01-19-17 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read the first two volumes of "The Invincible Iron Man" by Brian Bendis. I haven't read an Iron Man title in a long time, and there have been so many Iron Man titles I wasn't really sure where we were with the character. However ... it wasn't too hard to get on board with this version and it's generally a pleasing read. However ... Bendis still has his trouble combining his verbose dialogue with the artist's layouts and there were several pages I started reading "wrong" , incorrectly following the path of the dialogue. I enjoyed David Marquez's art on Volume One, but, then, being Marvel, they switched to Mike Deodato for Volume Two, which gave the work an entirely different mood, and it just seemed more ponderous for my taste.
Old 01-27-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've just read the first two volumes of "Spider-Man: Worldwide" by Dan Slott and I'll give it credit for finally advancing the Peter Parker character in an interesting way. Again, as much as I hate Marvel for all the different titles and versions of the same character within months of each other, this was a decent read and easy enough to jump into, even though I haven't read any Spider-Man titles since Bendis's mostly terrific "Ultimate" run with Mark Bagley.

On the other hand, I read Jeff Lemire's re-do of "Moon Knight" and while it's clever enough and looks nice, it just feels like just another attempt to make a difficult character "work". Frankly, it plays like a failed TV "pilot".

Last edited by DWilson; 01-31-17 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-28-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lots of comics these days read like failed TV and movie projects. I'm guessing the writers all have their pitches ready for Hollywood and take them to Marvel/DC when that option fails.

Marvel really should tackle a live-action Moon Knight series.
Old 01-31-17, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've just read the latest version of "Black Widow" by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. It's a well-constructed story and a good read, but its also pretty typical "Spycraft" stuff that doesn't add anything new to the character or the genre. They'' continue down this path for another collection or two and then re-invent the character yet again.

I searched through all the "Guardians of the Galaxy" books that Marvel issued since the film's success, and decided to start with the newest collection, which starts the numbering over yet again. Bendis and Schitti (I know how I'm pronouncing his name, which may not be how he wants his name pronounced) have turned out a fun book, though I had to roll my eyes when I saw that they incorporated Kitty Pryde and Ben Grimm as series regulars. Still, I like the look and the tone and I'll stick with this one if Marvel will.
Old 01-31-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd highly recommend Superman: Lois and Clark from Dan Jurgens to all classic Superman fans. After re-reading it lately, I think I've figured out why it's a good read.

It takes Lois and Clark entirely outside the traditional trappings of Superman's cliches and tropes. No Luthor, no Metropolis, no Justice League, et cetera. While I love that stuff, it's been covered to death by others over the years. It has become a crutch for uninspired storytelling in Superman books.

I also like its exploration of Lois and Clark raising their son together. We usually get that in short Elseworlds but other changes usually overwhelm that aspect.
Old 02-06-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"International Iron Man" by Bendis and Maleev (who did some fine "Daredevil" work in the past). A terrific book, -one of my favorite recent "reads". Tony Stark learns he is adopted and searches for his birth mother in Eastern Europe. This is framed by a story from Tony's past, in which he falls in love with a girl who's involved with Hydra. A nice mix of SHIELD espionage and a bit of super-heroics. A really strong character-driven story and I was genuinely touched at one point.

"The Infinity Entity" by Starlin and Davis (mostly) featuring Adam Warlock. I have a lot of respect for jim Starlin and I've bought a lot of Jim Starlin product over the years (including a pricey portfolio), but he's just beaten this "Thanos" thing to death. While the story left me cold, Alan Davis (and others) did a tremendous job on the art.

"Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet" by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze. I haven't read a "Panther" story since the Hudlin/Romita Jr. version, and I was a huge fan of Don Mcgregor's version in the '70s. This is a smart, smart book that really portrays a credible Wakanda, but, damn, is it dry! It's a shame when you're reading a book called "The Black Panther" and the least compelling character is The Black Panther.
Old 02-07-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been looking forward to reading The Infinity Entity by Starlin. I hope I like it better than you did.
Old 02-08-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Girl Genius The Second Journey Book One The Beast Of The Rails
Old 02-08-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Power Man and Iron Fist: The Boys Are Back in Town" by David Walker, Sanford Greene, and Flaviano, . I've bought my fair share of "Heroes For Hire" comics back in the day, in particular John Ostrander's run. This new take is quite different, and is more comedic in tone and cartoony in look. While in took me a bit to get used to the change in style, I found the book very entertaining.
Old 02-11-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Superman: Son of Superman
This is Volume One of the "Rebirth" version of Supes. Personally, I didn't like the "New 52" version at all, but I really enjoyed this re-boot. Basicaaly, the 52 Superman is dead and he's replaced by an alternate universe Superman, who's more mature, and who brings along his wife, Lois Lane, and their son, Jonathan (who is a young boy who needs to learn how to cope with his nascent superpowers). It's an interesting take, that seems new, -though it kinda isn't, -but, more importantly, I like these characters (which is to the credit of the writer, Peter Tomasi). Good story-telling by artist Patrick Gleason.

Batman: I Am Gotham.
This is the "Rebirth" version of "Batman" and as far as I can tell this is the same old Batman we've been getting for years and years. This particular set of issues is less edgy and SF than Scott Snyder's version, but your enjoyment will probably depend on how you enjoy the particular story they're telling in this "episode". Thinking about it, it's essentially a "Batman" "procedural".
Old 02-22-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am working my way through the new hardcover Batman and the Outsiders. I had only ever read sporadic issues of this run by Mike Barr and Aparo before, so it's mostly new to me. Aparo's artwork looks beautiful. DC must have recolored it or something, art from the early 1980s doesn't usually look this nicely reproduced.
Old 02-22-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I am working my way through the new hardcover Batman and the Outsiders. I had only ever read sporadic issues of this run by Mike Barr and Aparo before, so it's mostly new to me. Aparo's artwork looks beautiful. DC must have recolored it or something, art from the early 1980s doesn't usually look this nicely reproduced.
I read the Showcase version a couple years ago, and it was all new to me. I'd like to upgrade, but I think I'm going to go digital because it's not something I'm so fond of that I want a physical copy. I realize that's a pretty fuzzy system, but I'm trying to reduce the clutter.
Old 02-23-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Finally cracked open volume three of the GI Joe Complete Collection last night. And it looks like volumes 4, 5, and 6 are presently not available. Sounds about right.
Old 03-14-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Decided to start reading the Batman Rebirth trades. So far I have the first volumes of Batman, Detective Comics, and Nightwing and read through the first volumes of Batman and Detective Comics. Overall I'd say they're both fairly solid books. Enjoyed Detective Comics maybe a tad more as I like the team dynamic of Batman, Batwoman, Red Robin, Spoiler, Orphan, and Clayface. The Batman book is good too but I wasn't as into the Gotham and Gotham Girl storyline.

I somewhat feel like I should have read the New 52 stuff which I didn't really keep up on but still feel like these are fairly easy to get into. I think I'll try to keep getting the trades for at least the Bat Family stuff going forward.
Old 03-14-17, 11:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Forgive me if I posted this elsewhere, but I've read about a dozen of the first Rebirth trades in the last couple weeks and am loving them all pretty much. I feel 12 years of again, loving a cohesive superhero universe.
Old 03-14-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I like what I've read so far over any of the New 52 stuff (including Batman which I know a lot of people like Scott Snyder's run on). Granted I haven't read a bunch beyond the Batman titles I purchased. I read the launch issue to Rebirth and have glanced at some other characters (my friend picked up volume one of The Flash and Green Arrow and those seem decent).
Old 03-19-17, 05:32 PM

Not so great writing, but wanted to read a Wrightson longform story today and this was handy.
Old 03-26-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Forgive me if I posted this elsewhere, but I've read about a dozen of the first Rebirth trades in the last couple weeks and am loving them all pretty much. I feel 12 years of again, loving a cohesive superhero universe.
DC has handled Rebirth very well for a line-wide reboot once again. There are a lot of fun reads across the line and I am really enjoying Superman. Trade waiters should know that recent issues have tweaked Superman's costume once more, but this time it's the best post-New 52 version yet.

I read through the Villains United trade recently. This is an older DC mini-series from 2005? Gail Simone does interesting stuff with a handful of lesser villains, forming the Secret Six with Catman and others. I'm excited to check out the actual Secret Six series, which I have never read.
Old 03-27-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

With the movie coming up, I finally got around to reading some Valerian. I have a few physical albums but also got some digital ones on sale. I have no idea where this one ranks among all of them, but it struck me as OK--kinda goofy, like Asterix in space. I'll try another one just to give it more of a chance.

Old 03-27-17, 02:39 PM

Volume one is free at Comixology today.
https://www.comixology.com/Valerian-...l-comic/409017
Old 04-04-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I read the first Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth trade. The story is very straightforward without a lot of surprises, though the art is excellent. Hal Jordan can now make Green Lantern rings with his own willpower. It hits a lot of familiar notes for long-time GL fans.
Old 04-16-17, 09:19 PM

Have had a good run of surprise autographed books lately. Tonight I read (again?) a great little indy book from 1999, the first collection of Astronauts in Trouble. Didn't expect to see the writer's signature on the title page, but there it was. I used to buy all of my books from Westfield Comics, and they occasionally worked deals with (usually lesser known or new) professionals to have books signed. Iirc, it was sometimes a surprise to get a signed book in your order, but usually it was advertised in their monthly catalog. Anyway, cool bonus on a great story. Like Warren Ellis said in the introduction, it really should be a big budget action movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.