Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What are the gems of your collection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 07:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
What are the gems of your collection?

Forgive me if we have a thread on this already, a quick search didn't find anything.

For me, it's probably my early Justice League of America issues. They were my favorite comic as a pre-teen, and as an adult I decided to try to buy every issue. I'm hopefully content to stop at just the original run of JLA and not try to buy every offshoot and appearance and crappy 90s alternate title.

I still have a lot of gaps, but I have managed to find cheap low condition copies of Brave and the Bold #28 through 30 and JLA #1.

I went through part of my collection last night and found those, along with a House of Secrets #1 and Daredevil #1. I had forgotten that I had all of those, to be honest; I really need to update/create a database.
Old 07-25-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: What are the gems of your collection?

Not much honestly.....Fantastic Four #49 and #52 I guess. Condition is not so hot though. Found them at an antiques store as a kid--the find itself is probably why I prize them so much. Nothing really special.

I have lots of autographed stuff I got in person but that's really only valuable to me as (even though I was there for every one) I don't blame anyone who doubts the veracity of the autographs.
Old 07-25-13, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I collect to read, not to invest in future financial gains, so I don't have anything that's truly valuable. 99% of my collection is DC from COIE to present day too, which is mostly worthless from a financial perspective, but its the era I enjoy reading so I don't care. I have a few pre-COIE comics that I enjoy reading, but none of its really all that valuable since I bought them in less than near mint condition.

My most valuable comic is probably Batman #251 (Joker's Five Way Revenge) which is in 6.0 condition at best. I don't care about its condition honestly. I bought it as a reading copy.

I am probably most proud of my Batman collection which contains with no missing holes Batman from Year One to present, Detective from Year Two to present, and the majority of the spinoff titles like Legend of the Dark Knight, Shadow of the Bat, Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, and even Azrael's own title.
Old 07-25-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

^ Likewise, but if we had to put monetary value on a particular item I would have to say that my limited edition oversized ABSOLUTE: Danger Girl set takes the cake. I may have another valuable item here and there but that one takes the cake.
Old 07-26-13, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

All of Alan Moore's Miracleman, as well as a few books signed by him.
Old 07-26-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I held on to all my Miracleman's as well whenever I was pairing down my collection. I have a couple of copies of Amazing Spider-Man #129 in good shape, although I'll probably sell them eventually. In my 25+ years of collecting I've probably owned and sold 11 copies of Giant Sized X-Men #1.

I have some pre-code 50s horror comics that I'll hold on to that are worth a little bit. Nothing too amazing though. I've mostly moved on to nice reprint volumes and hardcovers when I can get them.
Old 07-27-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a copy of Cry For Dawn #3, on the inside cover is a nice sketch by Linsner, personally inscribed to the late author Moebius.

I have Walking Dead #2-80 in NM. I'd pre-ordered #1 too, but the store owner accidentally sold it to someone else. He said he'd get me another, but...yeah.

I have some key Avengers issues like 53 and 58. I got them cheap and they would have graded at 9.0 on CGC at least. Really. They were beautiful, but while I was away at college my collection got hit by mold.

Mainly, I have really long runs of many many titles. 250 consecutive issues, 300, sometimes longer.
Old 07-28-13, 04:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the exception of Mad (which I have in the DC Archive line), a complete collection of Russ Cochran's EC slipcased hardcover sets. They are f-ing beautiful.
Old 07-29-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

The most valuable is probably the run of Sandman. The one which took the most effort is the Krazy Kat reprints, which took from 1988 to 2012 before they were all published.
Old 07-29-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But it's in pretty rough shape.
Old 07-29-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i think of the Gems of my collections, I probably think of it in 3 ways. 1. what I value the most. 2. what might be the most impressive. 3. what is worth the most.

1. I still have the old, tattered, taped up Phoenix Saga trade my grandfather bought me for a dime in 1984 at a goodwill in Maine. I was 6 years old and had never read anything but my brother's old superman and batman comics and I was blow away. I have read that trade literally over 100 times and I couldn't find it for years when i got home from college. but I found it a couple years ago and it now sits on my headboard again.

2. I started buying X-men in the #185-190's and I quit around 320. I also picked up back issues at the time so I have almost a complete run from 100-320. I was also buying the New Mutants/x-factor/x-force/x-whatever and have anything that was released in that window (including intros of Cable and Deadpool that still sell for like ~$50) and complete or near complete runs of Amazing (200-420) /Web of (complete)/Spectacular (30-241) Spiderman comics (with intro's of hobgoblin, venom, carnage, and some others). I also have nearly complete runs of most of the Valiant Era comics (which is worth nearly nothing, but i remember enjoying them at the time).

3. As far as what is worth the most, it is probably those 1st appearances that I already mentioned (Hobgoblin/Deadpool/Venom)...I have a some older Marvel (i.e. X-men #4 with the introduction of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and Avengers #54 1st Ultron) ) and DC (a couple superman from the 50s and Batman from the 60s) but they aren't in great condition and not worth much.
Old 07-29-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thinking about it I do have a complete run of all of Mike Allred's early comics, like Graphique Musique and Graphik Musik, Creatures of the ID and Madman, all signed, and most with little sketches as well. I met him at a convention in the early 90s, super nice guy.
Old 07-29-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Full runs of Sandman, Preacher, Grendel, Miracleman, Watchmen, and V for Vendetta.

*Yeah, I know the last two are only limited series, but I still have them all.
Old 07-29-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm a big Moon Knight fan, so I was happy to pick up NM copies of these on sale back in my college days:

I think they were about $30 each. It would be much more expensive to get them now.
Old 07-29-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a pretty sizable collection of Neal Adams DC and Marvel work. All the books are in VF+ condition. Primarily Batman, Detective, Strange Adventures, Brave and the Bold, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Avengers and X-Men.

I also have some classic 70's DC Kirby stuff like Kamandi, New Gods, Forever People.. etc.

Lastly, the entire original Wrightson/Wein/Redondo Swamp Thing run.

These are books I would never sell, though pretty much everything else in my collection would be negotiable.
Old 07-31-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I took pics of my Adams collection before I put them all into mylars. I bought most of them in the 70's.

I recently found more Adams books after I took the pics. I guess they're my favorite ones in my collection and separated them from the rest of my books. I have comics from every era but my favorite are bronze age books.
Old 07-31-13, 02:28 PM

Wow, I'm loving this thread. It's getting me even more excited about my re-dedication to the hobby.

I think we have a great group of comic fans here and hope we can grow at least this part of the forum.
Old 08-02-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Old 08-02-13, 11:43 PM

I think Bronkster wins.
Old 08-03-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I'd love to own that cover of Adventure Comics featuring Krypto, as a large poster.
Old 08-03-13, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

I treasure my full run of Chester Brown's Yummy Fur, including the early Xerox mini-comic versions from when he was self publishing.

I'm not sure how many people on the forum are aware of him or his work. His has a new book out right now called Paying For It, about his experiences with prostitutes.

Old 08-04-13, 10:55 PM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll consider my "gems" as the ones I like the most. I couldn't tell you what is my most valuable comic/item.

Ostrander Suicide Squad, Giffen/DeMatteis JL/I/E runs, and Giffen/Bierbaum Legion (<--I know it's not a fan favorite, but I loved it).

And the run I'm most proud of: a (nearly) complete Superman run since Man of Steel. I got out of the weekly comics game a decade ago, but I'd pick up Superman and Action in the bargain bins when I found them. I'm trying to fill the holes left from the last three years of the pre-New 52 as my "end/jump off point".

I'll probably think of more later. I've been thinking of what I want to keep of my 20-year addiction to them-- and having not looked at them in years, I think I can part ways with much of my collection. But the above runs are the ones I think of as "untouchable". I'll probably be buried with them.

I should also add my sketch of Fire by Adam Hughes. I'd get to the MCBA Fallcon an hour or two early each day, and race to find his table to be one of the few to get a sketch that year-- and coming up short four years before finally being one of the first my fifth attempt. One of my greatest "hunts" before I scored.

Also got a personal note from Mark Gruenwald thanking me for my exhaustive review of Squadron Supreme. It was a nice gesture from a pro to a kid who loved everything that had his name on it (BIG Avengers fan back in the day).
Old 08-06-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Electra: Assassin #1
Pacific Presents...The Rocketeer
Youngblood #1-2 by Alan Moore
Judgment Day #1-3 by Alan Moore
Sandman #50
Old 08-07-13, 01:47 PM

I grew up collecting with my Father. We've got about 12 longboxes with 1 longbox housing all the gems.

I've been a Green Lantern nut since I was teeny tiny (I'm now pushing 40). We've got a complete run of the Silver Age Green Lantern including mint copies of his first appearances in Showcase. Those are my all time favorites.

We have Amazing Spidy #9 and then almost a complete run of Amazing from about #30-250, two copies of Daredevil #1 and then a bunch of Daredevil from about 25-75, Hulk 180, Uncanny X-Men 2, 5 and 7, and almost complete run of Iron Man from #1-150, and a bunch of others. Then we move into the 80's stuff like Legends of the Dark Knight, Signed first print of Killing Joke, signed Kevin Maguire Justice Leagues #1-5 including the Superman test bullet cover of Justice League. . . complete run of Preacher. . . complete run of Epic's Akira, which has always been a favorite of mine.

I have to bust into those again. It's been years since I've thumbed through the collection.
Old 08-07-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Value-wise, probably the first few Ultimate Spider-Mans. I have a bunch of Miller Daredevils too. I have a few long-boxes of early Vertigo books from DC that might have some value. One of these days I'll try and sell off a few boxes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.