Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the gems of your collection?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What are the gems of your collection?

Old 10-11-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: What are the gems of your collection?

Originally Posted by stingermck
My new gem:

The clothing store, Ross, has poster reproductions of this cover at the moment in their art section. It's definitely one of the stronger Superman Golden Age covers.
Old 10-11-15, 03:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

Largest selling?
Old 10-13-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen that description before on other comics from the era. I think it fell out of favor as more people became literate. Remember that comics were largely intended for children and illiterate adults back in the 1940s.
Old 10-13-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think it fell out of favor as more people became literate.
Stranger, I find that quite hilarious if it's true.
Old 10-13-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Schooling before World War II was pretty sketchy.
Old 10-14-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Probably my theoretically most-expensive gems are scripts, not comics. From Watchmen and Black Dossier. I also hve a lot of fairly hard-to-find fanzines, some Graphitti books (Watchmen, Kingdom Come) and a handful of other fairly impressive things.

Plus, I'm only missing about three of Marvel's Omnibuses, and found the Eclipse Miracleman collections for about $5 each a few years back. I imagine the price has dropped significantly for those since Marvel reprinted them, but... I'm still pleased to have them!

Oh, also Near Myths and Lovely Biscuits by Grant Morrison and the signed Comic Book Reb Book Rebels book about the 80s creators. It's signed by them all... except Todd McFralane, who is stamped as "unavailable to sign"...!

I treasure my comic versions of episodes of Tony Robinson's Maid Marian and Her Merry Men by Paul Cemmick, too.

Plus, my wife inherited her mothers' collection of comics from the 40s-60s, which for a while had ALL the Marvel first issues and debuts of Batgirl, Riddler, Penguin, etc. Until her cousin took all the 'expensive' books in the early 90s and sold them to a con-art...dealer for $100. Every single issue (about 80) he sold was worth that alone THEN, let alone now. And they weren't his to sell. We went through a couple of hundred about 7 years ago, and every time a guide told us an 'important' comic was just around the corner there was a big gap. Heartbreaking! Although it was almost topped by three things: copies of Amazing Fantasy 14 and Detective Comics #26 (both coverless) implying that their next-issues were also sold, and a great Action Comics cover that some child had decadea ago writte captions and speech bubbles all over - "Superman's Big Toe!" is perpetually stuck in my mind...

Last edited by ntnon; 10-14-15 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-02-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Got another gem. I wasn't even in the market for it, but saw it for a great price and jumped.

Detective 37, last pre-Robin tec:

Old 11-02-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's nice, the colors look pretty good for its age.
Old 03-13-16, 09:18 AM

Bumping in anticipation of adding some pics of books I found while organizing last night; and hopeful for more from you all.
Old 05-19-16, 09:57 PM

My realistic holy grails were the first appearances of the Justice League in Brave and the Bold 28-30. Now that I have those, a not so realistic goal would be the first appearance of the Silver Age in Showcase. Well, this may be the closest I get, a coverless copy of the fourth SA appearance.
Old 06-27-23, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts

I was tempted to start a new thread, but maybe resurrecting this one will get some of you to post (or repost) your neat comics!

Way back on June 27th, 1973, I had arranged to buy Superman #6 for $60. A lot of money in 1973 for a high school kid! Before the arranged time, some friends and I went to a book store in Fullerton, CA – looking for comics, most likely, as we often explored trying to find comic books (no comic stores back then; it was always an adventure). In an amazing coincidence this store also had a copy of Superman #6! And it looked better than the one I was planning on getting – and it was only $45! I snagged it, along with the 2nd edition of the Overstreet Price Guide.

It is now fifty years later, and Superman #6 remains my most-prized comic. I have older ones, but they don’t have the “history” that Superman #6 has for me. So, to celebrate my personal anniversary, I present a few pictures of my purchases from 1973.

The following 6 users liked this post by Bronkster:
B5Erik (06-27-23), davidh777 (06-27-23), ntnon (07-11-23), Paul_SD (07-07-23), PhantomStranger (06-27-23), Spiderbite (06-29-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-27-23, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,676 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Get that Superman book slabbed!

(I know "slabbing" is controversial, but I get really nervous when I see a rare book like that out in the open and unprotected. I nearly shit myself every time I see that photograph of Nicolas Cage's stolen Action Comics #1 sitting on a cop's desk in a manila folder. Not even a bag or board. )
Old 06-27-23, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Get that Superman book slabbed!

(I know "slabbing" is controversial, but I get really nervous when I see a rare book like that out in the open and unprotected. I nearly shit myself every time I see that photograph of Nicolas Cage's stolen Action Comics #1 sitting on a cop's desk in a manila folder. Not even a bag or board. )
Over the years I've considered slapping it. It's currently in a mylar bag, which keeps it nice. I have a number of books that are slabbed and keep thinking I might bust 'em out SO I CAN READ THEM!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bronkster:
ntnon (07-11-23), ytrez (06-28-23)
Old 06-27-23, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Except for some key books which were stolen from my collection (the person knew enough to take issues like the first Venom appearance and New Mutants #98), I still have virtually every issue I've ever purchased. Awesome job on that Superman issue.

One of these days I'll share how I ended up purchasing a gem mint copy of Batman Adventures #12 quite by accident this summer for under $20.

Old 06-27-23, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

I was going through my attic last night, looking for some stuff to purge in a garage sale and found a copy of Savage She-Hulk #1 that I bought in 2002 for $1.50.

I didn’t even remember that I had it.
Old 06-29-23, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Nice Superman #6, Bronkster.

I purged most of my comics years ago, other than a crapload of trade paperback/hardcover collections, but I still have some so-so condition Golden Age books including a handful of ECs (including a Weird Fantasy signed by Al Williamson) and a couple Golden Age Marvels. I'll see if I can dig them up for pics.
The following users liked this post:
Bronkster (06-29-23)
Old 06-29-23, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Off hand, I can only think of the Absolute "Danger Girl" oversized collection. It's signed by JSC and has that cool intro by Bruce Campbell, along with his caricature. It was the first Absolute edition I ever bought. I bought two at the time for $75 each, kept one, and sold the second one for $150. I might have some other misc comic book related items, but I'd have to do some digging.
Old 02-28-24, 11:51 AM

Perhaps not a gem exactly, but I loved finding this at a 50 cent sale this past weekend. Signed by Colleen Doran, Walter Simonson, Jim Valentino, and several others.
Old 02-28-24, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Nice A Distant Soil score! I never got into her series, but I would be giddy to find what you did at a garage or estate sale. I actually mentioned this in the Comic Covers thread in a response to your post Trevor, but I would consider some gems in my collection to be the Weird Western Tales cat cover by Neal Adams, and then the non Hex stuff is the last Archie Comics edition of Sonic in true high grade condition (bought at cover price, and at one point, it was selling even unslabbed for several hundred on eBay, but the price fluctuates all over the place). Issue 92 of the Bronze age Jonah Hex series in high grade (it remained under the radar of many a collector for years and could be had pretty cheap at many conventions, not anymore...kind-of an expensive key book now) is another I am very happy to own.

While this following book is now a bit valuable in high grade, that is not why I love it so much, Jonah Hex 32 Gunfight At Murphysburg. This issue does not just contain one of the coolest gunfight sequences in the hundreds of Jonah Hex books out there (Bronze Age and modern Hex comics combined), but one of the coolest action sequences in comics books, period. I love this issue so much.
Trevor (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 01:32 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I love these giant oversized comics that I picked up back in the late 70s, early 80s timeframe.

PhantomStranger (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD
I love these giant oversized comics that I picked up back in the late 70s, early 80s timeframe.

In that condition those books trade for good money.
Old 02-28-24, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

My oldest comics (that I remember, anyway!) are Fantastic Four #50 (the end of the first Silver Surfer/Galactus storyline) and Amazing Spider-Man #54. FF is in much better shape than Spidey.

I remember going to a comic shop as a kid and seeing FF #21 for cheap, although it was beaten and battered, with a big rip on the cover. Back then, that issue was around 25 years old, and I was in awe of the sight of a comic so incredibly old. The then-new books I was buying in that same trip are 35 years old now.
Old 02-28-24, 02:54 PM

I tend to collect all the ‘weird’ or horror characters, especially DC. Here’s the first appearance of the Creeper.

Old 02-28-24, 02:58 PM

Here’s my first appearance of the Metal Men.

PhantomStranger (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 03:03 PM

Here is probably the pride and joy of my collection. Plop is why I’m a collector, and will always be extremely special to me. This was not commissioned by or for me, I forget how I stumbled onto it decades ago, but this sketch of the Plop comic hosts drawn by Sergio Aragones could be the one thing I’d want to save in a fire if I could only save one (non-living) thing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.