Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What are the gems of your collection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: What are the gems of your collection?

That Jonah Hex Spectacular is on my Want List! Always on the look-out for it.

Here's another treasure from my archives: The Monster Society of Evil Limited Edition from 1989:

It's a hardcover printed on glossy heavy stock reprinting the entire Monster Society of Evil storyline from Captain Marvel Adventures #22 to #46 (1943-1945). It's a big book. About 10.5 X 12.5 inches. I picked it up about 7 or 8 years ago for around $100 because it wasn't in NM shape. After I got it home, I noticed this on the inside cover:

The Limited Edition was a LIMITED Edition signed by Captain Marvel's Co-Creator C.C. Beck!! This already awesome book suddenly became priceless to me. I love this thing!
Old 04-03-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So the other night I somehow scored both of these in an eBay lot for $200:

Old 04-03-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW!!! That is awesome! Congrats!

Are the books intact?
Old 04-03-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
WOW!!! That is awesome! Congrats!

Are the books intact?
Surprisingly yes! The auction was in the wrong category and not much info in the title that they were golden age, so I guess thats why no one else snatched them up. I just happened to see them while browsing.

With a $200 BIN I figured I would take a chance. Both are complete! #4 has a loose centerfold, and the cover is off the bottom staple, but everything is there. #5 is solid except for the corner on the cover.

Last edited by stingermck; 04-04-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-04-14, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 347 Posts

Whoa, that's totally awesome!!
Old 04-04-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
So the other night I somehow scored both of these in an eBay lot for $200:
Are there signs of restoration? Those covers have awfully good colors for Golden Age books.
Old 04-04-14, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Are there signs of restoration? Those covers have awfully good colors for Golden Age books.
Not that I can see, but I'm sure CGC will spot something
Old 04-04-14, 07:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Drooling over those books stinger, and maybe even more over that Beck sig/book. Wow!

Trying to resist going back to daily ebay browsing.
Old 04-04-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Drooling over those books stinger, and maybe even more over that Beck sig/book. Wow!

Trying to resist going back to daily ebay browsing.
Thanks!

Do it! I had searched 'Detective Comics' and sorted by highest price first, and was just browsing the old stuff for fun. I happened to keep going longer than I expected and found those two.
Old 04-05-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

A bunch of Scott Pilgrim pages went on sale yesterday and I grabbed a page with Scott, Envy and Knives on it for $200. There were some better pages available, but not with Scott for that price.

Oddly, last night I was standing outside a bar when Scott Pilgrim by Plumtree started playing. I don't think I've ever heard that song in a public setting before.
Old 04-07-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not much of value, but in the late 1990s, I did get Amazing Spider-Man from around #30 all the way to #100 off ebay. But I don't even know where I put them.
Old 04-14-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I used to read/collect a lot, but not so much anymore. I do attend shows though, which are always fun. My gems would be
Hulk 181 - Got it for $10 way back when, and I thought that was expensive! I think I bought it in '86. I actually bought two, one as a gift for my brother, but he lost it somehow.
X-Men #122-300, with a few missing here and there. I actually started with X-Men 172, and loved them so much I had to get them all (that I could afford).
Amazing Spider-Man #96, 200, 238, 242-380
Thor 337 - Simonson was incredible!
The Grendel run from Comico.
Mage - all of the runs

Jeez, never mind..all of my comics are gems! :-)
Old 04-14-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

The most personal comic I have in my collection is Pete Learns All About Crohn's and Colitis, a comic commissioned by the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America. Last year at C2E2, I met Joe and Hilarie Staton, who worked on it. We chatted at length about it and they couldn't have been nicer. I had ten copies and they signed and inscribed them all to different Crohnie friends of mine. I realized too late that I was one comic shy of having one to present to my doctor. They were kind enough to mail me one, signed and inscribed to her. I wrote about that experience in my blog.

I have the entire run of the first volume of The Batman Adventures, including #12 (1: Harley Quinn), and the less valuable but not easily found Holiday Special (adapted as the episode "Holiday Knights"). I also have the one-shot Batgirl Adventures, and all three issues of the mini-series Batman: Harley and Ivy. I only need eight issues to complete The Batman & Robin Adventures run, and I think I'm about halfway through the second volume of Batman Adventures. However, I need around 56 or so issues of Batman: Gotham Adventures, so I'm a long ways off from having the entirety of the comics based on Batman: The Animated Series!

I also have the first four issues of Marvel's The Transformers; issue #1 signed by cover artist Bill Sienkiewicz and issue #2 signed by cover artist Michael Golden. (Both signed in my presence.) Not sure what they're worth, but I enjoy knowing I have them.

The last three years, I've gotten quite a few comics signed at shows. I have no intention of selling any of them so I don't care about proving the veracity of anything. They're just for me. Some of them are inscribed to me; others are just the writer/artist's name. I was especially happy to get Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Special #1 signed by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale at C2E2 in 2012. Here's my C2E2 2012 take, with scans, for those who may be interested. Apparently, I never posted the issues I got signed last year. Weird.
Old 04-23-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

According to dealers at Wonder-con, I'm a fucking millionaire.

Can't believe they wanted that much for complete collections of the VIZ mangas like Ranma 1/2, Kamui and Crying Freeman. I don't have a gem or ones I would prize highly.
Old 07-22-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I really got into golden age this year. Sold Batman #4 and #5 simply because I did not like the covers, but it helped finance some other books I really liked. Here is my current GA collection:

Old 07-23-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Here's another treasure from my archives: The Monster Society of Evil Limited Edition from 1989:

The Limited Edition was a LIMITED Edition signed by Captain Marvel's Co-Creator C.C. Beck!! This already awesome book suddenly became priceless to me. I love this thing!
Congratulations on this. It is pretty much my comic book grail at the moment.
Old 07-23-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Love those classic Golden Age covers. If I had to be honest, I like the covers more than actually reading Golden Age material. Golden Age comics are a money pit, be prepared to mortgage your home if you catch that bug.
Old 07-23-14, 02:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess my gems are:

Image Comics 10th, I mean 13th anniversary hardcover signed by Erik Larsen and Rob Liefeld

Herulian hardcover (only sold at cons and online) signed by Erik Larsen

TMNT: Ultimate Collection vols 1-5, the first one is signed by Eastman, Laird, Jim Lawson, and TMNT superfan Michelle Ivey.

I also have fondness for Lloyd Kaufman Presents The Toxic Avenger & Other Tromatic Tales.
Old 09-27-15, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Limited Edition Hardcover Book Signed by Frank Miller (1st printing). Only 4000 books were printed & have #1308 of 4000. Still in shipping carton.

Last edited by kahuna; 10-10-15 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-02-20)
Old 09-27-15, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by kahuna
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Limited Edition Hardcover Book Signed by Frank Miller (1st printing). Only 4000 nooks were printed & have #1308 of 4000. Still in shipping carton.

Sweet, I have one of those too. I wonder if the sequel series are making it go up, or down, in value.
Old 09-27-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sweet, I have one of those too. I wonder if the sequel series are making it go up, or down, in value.
Not sure, I see people asking from $300 - $800+. I had mine on local CL a few times & no takers. I brought mine from a mom & pop comic book shop called "The Little Comic Book Shop" in Waihiwa, Oahu. When they first came out in 1986, I think I paid $125.
Old 09-27-15, 02:45 PM

I should probably sell mine. I think I own at least 4 physical versions of it, including doubles of all the single issues; but I'm probably fine with just the digital from here on out.
Old 09-28-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
Not sure, I see people asking from $300 - $800+. I had mine on local CL a few times & no takers. I brought mine from a mom & pop comic book shop called "The Little Comic Book Shop" in Waihiwa, Oahu. When they first came out in 1986, I think I paid $125.
I don't think that shop exists anymore. I usually go to the 2 Jelly's and the other store that was at Ward's center. They moved since the renovations I think. There's a couple more I go to but I can't remember their names.
Old 09-28-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
I don't think that shop exists anymore. I usually go to the 2 Jelly's and the other store that was at Ward's center. They moved since the renovations I think. There's a couple more I go to but I can't remember their names.
Yes that little comic shop closed down in the middle 1990's. I found them on day when I came back home & was station at Schofield Barracks & worked at Kunia Tunnel.

Not into comics anymore put I have spent my fair share of time at Jelly's. There was one in Pearl Kai & I believe moved behind Cutter Ford in Aiea. Which I think is still there.
Old 09-28-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Which one moved? The one at Ward Warehouse? I have a soft spot for that one, because dropping in there on a vacation introduced me to the world of trade paperback collections, rekindling my interest in comics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.