Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Red Hood & The Outlaws Vol. 1 tpb out of print already?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 07-07-13, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking to get it, and neither Amazon.com nor Barnesandnoble.com have it in stock. Third party sellers on both sites are selling it for upwards of $40.

WTF? Is it out of print already? It shows a first publication date of November 2012, so it had a publication run of less than a year? The other New 52 volume 1 trade paperbacks all seem to still be in publication, at least all the ones I have checked.
Old 07-07-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Is Red Hood & The Outlaws Vol. 1 tpb out of print already?

Wow, you're right. I checked a few comic sites and none of them have it in stock either.
Old 07-08-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I think this is par for the course for both big companies. Put out HCs that phase out for the bigger properties, and for everything else put out tpbs that slowly phase out over time as demand wanes. Odd that it happened on a title that's still getting churned out, I wonder if they're counting on digital to pick up the slack. But try to find some Marvel trades from the last year or two, they were churning out so many at a time that I heard the overall orders for some of the more obscure ones were tiny.
Old 07-08-13, 10:10 PM
Banned

Ugh. So tpbs going out of print within a year is common? I am just now deciding to make the switch from floppy to tpb with the New 52 and there are still a lot of New 52 tpbs I haven't bought but still want. Red Hood was one of them, but there is no way I am going to pay the exorbitant prices third party sellers are charging for it. The main reason I wanted to switch to tpbs in the first place was because I was sick and tired of paying $3-$4 for a floppy. I guess I better hurry and buy the rest of the New 52 volume 1's that I want before they go out of print too...
Old 07-09-13, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A respectable Canadian retailer still has it for a decent price (all amounts Canadian)

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...Fcmj5wodsj0AAA
Old 07-09-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why not just go digital? There are definitely issues with it, primarily issues of ownership and whether or not you have a tablet, but otherwise it's a fantastic space saver, especially if you want to just read the comics and not necessarily have shelves and shelves of them. DC discounts all titles by a buck after a month goes by, which is probably cheaper than the trade anyway.
Old 07-09-13, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
A respectable Canadian retailer still has it for a decent price (all amounts Canadian)

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...Fcmj5wodsj0AAA
Thanks for that link. Even with shipping from Canada to US, it would probably still be quite a bit cheaper than what third party sellers want for it.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Why not just go digital? There are definitely issues with it, primarily issues of ownership and whether or not you have a tablet, but otherwise it's a fantastic space saver, especially if you want to just read the comics and not necessarily have shelves and shelves of them. DC discounts all titles by a buck after a month goes by, which is probably cheaper than the trade anyway.
If comics ever go completely digital, I will be done with comics period. I am that opposed to it.

The issue of ownership is a HUGE deal breaker to me. 20 years from now I can be safely assured I will still have my printed comics. I cannot be safely assured that Comixology will still exist in 20 years or even that future computers will be backward compatible with comic reading software today. DOS software isn't compatible with Windows, for example, without massive tinkering.

I am not concerned about storage space. I already have close to 30 longboxes. The reason I am switching to tpb isn't because of space but rather cost. I was getting sick and tired of paying $3-$4 per issue. Amazon sells tpbs for $10-$12, which assuming 6 issues per trade comes to about $2 per issue. That's cheaper than even Comixology, but still even if Comixology was cheaper I still wouldn't go digital.

That said, I actually did buy a Nook HD+ back during the $149 Father's Day sale. I didn't like it because it gave me headaches. I stare at a computer monitor for 8-12 hours a day without it bothering me, but I was getting headaches when using the Nook HD+ after just 1-2 hours. So I returned it.
Old 07-09-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I think this is par for the course for both big companies. Put out HCs that phase out for the bigger properties, and for everything else put out tpbs that slowly phase out over time as demand wanes. Odd that it happened on a title that's still getting churned out, I wonder if they're counting on digital to pick up the slack. But try to find some Marvel trades from the last year or two, they were churning out so many at a time that I heard the overall orders for some of the more obscure ones were tiny.
Originally Posted by taffer
Ugh. So tpbs going out of print within a year is common? I am just now deciding to make the switch from floppy to tpb with the New 52 and there are still a lot of New 52 tpbs I haven't bought but still want. Red Hood was one of them, but there is no way I am going to pay the exorbitant prices third party sellers are charging for it. The main reason I wanted to switch to tpbs in the first place was because I was sick and tired of paying $3-$4 for a floppy. I guess I better hurry and buy the rest of the New 52 volume 1's that I want before they go out of print too...
I'm surprised by this. I thought the more common practice was to release a HC first, then phase it out for an equivalent TPB. I haven't done exhaustive research, but just checking Amazon shows that two of the New 52 HC vol. 1s I bought--Aquaman and Batgirl--have been replaced by TPBs.

While I like the concept of digital comics, I don't have a tablet and don't like the experience of reading on my phone. I also have the oft-expressed concerns about long-term viability of some of the content distributors (which of course can become a self-fulfilling prophecy).
Old 07-09-13, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm surprised by this. I thought the more common practice was to release a HC first, then phase it out for an equivalent TPB. I haven't done exhaustive research, but just checking Amazon shows that two of the New 52 HC vol. 1s I bought--Aquaman and Batgirl--have been replaced by TPBs.
DC's usual practice is to release the tpb of the previous volume when the hc of the next volume is released.

For example, Batman Vol 3 hc is solicited for Oct 15. The tpb of Vol 2 is also solicited for Oct 15.
Old 07-09-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, I meant that for the bigger sellers, they start with HCs and transition to TPBs, and for the smaller sellers they start with TPBs but eventually let them go out of print based on demand. There's so much stuff coming out that it's not like Watchmen or DKR, where they are perpetual sellers, and it's not like non-Amazon B&Ms can even stock all of it anyway.

20 years from now, at my previous rate of collecting, I'd be divorced living in a house built out of bookshelves, with piles of books on the ground. I wouldn't even be able to find that copy of Red Hood and the Outlaws, or the omnibus I bought years after the initial release. I just want to read stuff, and collect things that I know I want to read over and over (so I still do get HCs of Invincible, for instance)
Old 07-09-13, 05:26 PM
Banned

20 years from now, at my previous rate of collecting, I'd be divorced living in a house built out of bookshelves, with piles of books on the ground. I wouldn't even be able to find that copy of Red Hood and the Outlaws, or the omnibus I bought years after the initial release. I just want to read stuff, and collect things that I know I want to read over and over (so I still do get HCs of Invincible, for instance)
I started reading comics in 1988 when I was 9 years old. Today I have roughly 30 longboxes full of comics. I haven't actually counted, but I know its close to that. I do know where they all are, and I still go back and re-read them frequently.
Old 07-09-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Does Red Hood & The Outlaws get better? No offense to the OP but what I read didn't do much for me at all.
Old 07-09-13, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Does Red Hood & The Outlaws get better? No offense to the OP but what I read didn't do much for me at all.
It gets worse. I thought the Lobdell/Rocafort issues were alot of fun. But once Rocafort left, the title took a nose-dive in quality. Rockafort's art was the real star of the show here, IMO.
Old 07-10-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To be honest, having not followed the new 52 all that closely, I was a bit surprised that it was still going, since I know they had a couple of waves of cancellations already. The only time I remember people talking about it was the controversy around Starfire being slutty (and I really hope fans of the Teen Titans cartoon never picked up an issue).
Old 07-10-13, 04:47 PM
Banned

To be honest, having not followed the new 52 all that closely, I was a bit surprised that it was still going, since I know they had a couple of waves of cancellations already. The only time I remember people talking about it was the controversy around Starfire being slutty (and I really hope fans of the Teen Titans cartoon never picked up an issue).
That whole controversy was from the first issue. I also remember the controversy of Batman and Catwoman having rather explicit sex in Catwoman #1.

While I haven't read the issue to really understand the controversy, I felt it was overblown considering Starfire has always worn a skimpy revealing costume in the comics. It was nothing new at all. She has been a sex symbol ever since Wolfman and Perez first created her.

I don't know how well Red Hood sells on a monthly basis, but remember that it is a Batman related title. Bat-titles almost always sell better than most other comics.

And really that's the main reason I want the tpb anyway is because I just want anything related to the Bat regardless of quality. Batwing is the only Bat-title I don't plan to get since I don't care for that character at all. I would expect Batwing to get canceled before Red Hood does.
Old 07-10-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My main issue with Starfire being portrayed like that is that even though she wore that bikini costume, there was always a sense of innocence and for a long time, love for Dick (Grayson). Having her act in the way she did in the first issue (which is the only one I read) was even more of a slap in the face of old fans (who, IMHO, were already slapped around by the whole notion of the new 52... don't get me started on Tim Drake and the Teen Titans). I know they explained that she's an alien and she looks at sexuality differently, but there was also a rising sentiment that DC wasn't exactly a beacon of women's rights at the time.

That being said, I'm surprised Batwing's still around too. Man the bat connection really does help.
Old 07-10-13, 08:43 PM
Banned

don't get me started on Tim Drake and the Teen Titans
UGH, I hate what they have done with Tim in the New 52. To top it all, Tim Drake isn't even his real name anymore. Its the name given to him by Witness Protection.

I googled the latest sales data from May 2013. Source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=45995

Red Hood was #62 on the charts with 34,541 copies sold.
Batwing was #161 with 13,302 sold.
Talon (which is another lame Bat-title that spun out of the whole Court of Owls thing) was #101 with 22,709 sold.

Surprisingly, Batwoman was #73 with 29,697 sold. I thought Batwoman was generally considered one of the best Bat-titles? Red Hood outsold it.

To top it all, Batman: The Dark Knight was #28 with 50,422 sold. Now that title is pure crap. Remember Two-Face getting injected with Bane's Venom in the first issue and renaming himself One-Face? That was just beyond stupid. It astounds me how it keeps selling so well.

Old 07-11-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

What the hell? I haven't followed a lot of the New 52 stuff very closely and I've only bought the first two volumes of Batman, the first volume of Batgirl, and The Night of the Owls book. I was thinking of picking up Detective Comics at some point too but The Dark Knight that you showed with Two-Face being injected with venom sounds terrible. I do have the first volume of the pre-New 52 The Dark Knight title (Golden Dawn) but wasn't very impressed with it either though so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.
Old 07-11-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Red Hood was #62 on the charts with 34,541 copies sold.
Batwing was #161 with 13,302 sold.
Talon (which is another lame Bat-title that spun out of the whole Court of Owls thing) was #101 with 22,709 sold.

Surprisingly, Batwoman was #73 with 29,697 sold. I thought Batwoman was generally considered one of the best Bat-titles? Red Hood outsold it.

To top it all, Batman: The Dark Knight was #28 with 50,422 sold. Now that title is pure crap. Remember Two-Face getting injected with Bane's Venom in the first issue and renaming himself One-Face? That was just beyond stupid. It astounds me how it keeps selling so well.
Stuff like Batwoman perennially gets hyped on the Internet but I don't think there is a lot of support for the character outside of that bubble. Anything with "Batman" in the title is automatically going to sell well, no matter how bad it is in reality. There is a segment of the market that automatically buys every core Batman book each month.

DC is pretty aggressive in underpublishing their trade paperbacks these days. They seem now to err on the side of underprinting a book, rather than overstocking it. Marvel is a bit better about it.
Old 07-11-13, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There is a segment of the market that automatically buys every core Batman book each month.
Yeah, I kind of fall under that category. I buy most of the Bat-titles, but not all of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...2_publications

That link shows all the New 52 publications. There are 13 that fall under Batman's category. 13/52 = exactly 25% of the New 52 are Batman titles.

1. Batgirl
2. Batman
3. Batman and Robin
4. Batman: The Dark Knight
5. Batwing
6. Batwoman
7. Birds of Prey
8. Catwoman
9. Detective Comics
10. Nightwing
11. Red Hood and the Outlaws
12. Batman Incorporated
13. Talon

I buy all except for The Dark Knight, Batwing, Birds of Prey, and Catwoman. The Dark Knight is just so bad I refuse to buy it regardless of being a Bat-fanatic. Batwing, Birds of Prey, and Catwoman I have zero interest in period.

I do buy a lot of the more underrated stuff too like All Star Western, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Demon Knights, etc. I buy between 30-35 comics a month. (Which is actually down considerably since I was buying well over 50 comics a month in the 90s.)
Old 07-11-13, 08:10 PM

We now have Batman/Superman to replace Batman Incorporated which only has 1 or 2 issues left.
Old 07-13-13, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 1 probably had a small print run. Marvel has cut way down on their print runs across the line, and I'm sure DC is doing similar except for surefire sellers like Batman-proper titles.

It's also worth checking other online retailers other than Amazon and Barnes and Noble just for TPB/HC buying in general. Amazon has all but done away with their deep discounts. The prices just consistently creep up and up to near MSRP. TalesOfWonder.Com and CheapGraphicNovels.Com usually have better prices, but you have to pay shipping unless you meet a high threshold. However, CGN jacks up prices once a book is close to OOP or if it goes OOS elsewhere, they suddenly sell their copies at OOP prices. Like I'm sure if they had a copy of Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 1 they'd be selling it for $50. For my money, InStockTrades.Com is the best deal these days. 45% off Marvel and DC trades, 50% off the week of release. Free shipping over $50. I recently bought a bunch of trades from various sources because they were OOS on Amazon and elsewhere - IST had them in stock and for cheaper than what I paid. Still smacking my head for not looking into them sooner. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 1 in stock.
Old 07-13-13, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kodave
It's also worth checking other online retailers other than Amazon and Barnes and Noble just for TPB/HC buying in general. Amazon has all but done away with their deep discounts. The prices just consistently creep up and up to near MSRP. TalesOfWonder.Com and CheapGraphicNovels.Com usually have better prices, but you have to pay shipping unless you meet a high threshold. However, CGN jacks up prices once a book is close to OOP or if it goes OOS elsewhere, they suddenly sell their copies at OOP prices. Like I'm sure if they had a copy of Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 1 they'd be selling it for $50. For my money, InStockTrades.Com is the best deal these days. 45% off Marvel and DC trades, 50% off the week of release. Free shipping over $50. I recently bought a bunch of trades from various sources because they were OOS on Amazon and elsewhere - IST had them in stock and for cheaper than what I paid. Still smacking my head for not looking into them sooner. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 1 in stock.
Thanks for those suggestions. I will look into them later.

I remember B&N had a buy two get one free graphic novel sale last fall/winter. I am hoping they will do it again this year. I didn't jump on that deal last year since I hadn't yet decided to switch from floppies to tpbs.
Old 07-14-13, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Amazon used to put up trades at amazing discounts during the pre-order stage. Kodave is correct, Amazon doesn't discount them now and they still don't ship them any safer.
Old 07-14-13, 03:31 AM
Banned

Amazon does discount, just not as well as they used to in times past. Its usually a 20-30% discount on Amazon. They sell tpbs for $12-13 usually.

InStockTrades looks awesome. I checked it out, and tpbs there are $8-9. Assuming 6 issues per trade, that's $1.33-1.50 per issue. I haven't paid that little for a comic since the early 90s.

CheapGraphicNovels looks to have deals nearly as good. TalesOfWonder I wasn't too impressed with since it seemed like they didn't have a lot of the New 52 Vol 1 tpbs in stock, and their prices were more in line with Amazon.

Thanks again for those links.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.