Reload this Page >

Kindle vs. Comixology?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Kindle vs. Comixology?

Old 03-28-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
Kindle vs. Comixology?

Looking at getting a graphic novel (The Walking Dead vol. 1) and it's $7.55 on the Kindle app vs $9.99 on Comixology. Is there a difference in resolution on one versus the other or is one app better than the other?

All things being equal I would prefer to do it through the Kindle app as I don't have an account yet with Comixology.

It's for an iPad btw.
Old 03-28-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Kindle vs. Comixology?

I've always wondered about this. I think that reading on a screen would drive me crazy. I don't mind reading web pages on my iPhone, but reading a book on it would drive me nuts. I've thought about an iPad, but they're quite expensive, and I always think I'd be better off just picking up a laptop. An iPad seems like it'd be a bit cumbersome when reading a book. It might work for comics, but the design layout of some artists' work would be difficult to translate, to say nothing of double-page spreads. Kindles are pricey too, to be honest. But I don't disagree that it would save a lot of space in my house. Plus, the trade dress on one of my JLA trades doesn't match the others. And it drives me insane.
Old 03-29-13, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Looking at getting a graphic novel (The Walking Dead vol. 1) and it's $7.55 on the Kindle app vs $9.99 on Comixology. Is there a difference in resolution on one versus the other or is one app better than the other?

All things being equal I would prefer to do it through the Kindle app as I don't have an account yet with Comixology.

It's for an iPad btw.
Timber! We do offer comics in HD for Retina iPads, so the resolution will be something much higher than what other platforms offer.

Our team also goes through each book for a Guided View, cinematic experience. We take you through each panel to the next, which helps folks out on smaller mobile devices, like an iPhone.

We have the first issue for free on our app and website, so give it a try and let us know what you think. On iPad, double-tap the screen to enable Guided View. :-)
Old 03-29-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

slimbo, I assume (based on the HD comment and the guided view, and the first free issue) that you're representing Comixology, but your post doesn't make that clear.

I don't have the Walking Dead in either format (I collect the hardcovers). I do have some Kindle graphic novels because they were a pretty good deal, though. In general, I prefer Comixology, but I think it's more because I already have so much content with them, and book content with the Kindle, and it's easier to keep them separate. The advantage of Comixology is that it's easier to catch up, and once caught up, if you so desire, to pick up individual issues as they come out. I'm not sure how the Kindle store works, but they definitely get less content, and only stuff that's otherwise available in print; for a big series like Walking Dead, I'm sure they'll have it all, but it's not true for other works. Comixology also frequently has sales... I think there was a Walking Dead sale before the 100th issue came out.

Still, 2.49 is still money, so I'd suggest downloading the first issue free on Comixology and see if you like the way it reads. BTW, I think because the first issue is free the first collection is only 8.99, but every subsequent collection is 9.99.

I'm curious, why are you going digital? I love reading stuff digitally just for lack of space, and for the most part I don't have a problem with most of hanshotfirst's concerns (most pages designed as double page layouts will go to landscape mode automatically... while this also decreases the size of the picture it's usually still viewable and you can still zoom). The main problems with digital are that the ipad is slightly smaller than a comic (though it's not that noticeable), that it's not as easy to flip back and forth between pages (obviously), and that your content is tied to a company that may not be around in 50 years (which has already happened with some manga company); you can't just back up the stuff you have to a local drive, you have to redownload from them, so that becomes a potential problem (Comixology actually had a rare temporary outage when the Marvel 1s deal first hit a few weeks ago, and while content already downloaded was of course fully accessible, nobody could download anything old or new from the servers). If you don't have a space problem, the physical collections on amazon are only a buck more than the kindle versions. For stuff I know I will follow like Walking Dead, I don't mind spending more and waiting for the hardcovers, though.
Old 03-29-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Going digital simply because I always have my iPad with me. If I'm at the office, sitting I the car trying to kill time between appointments or whatever, it's always there. My "collecting" days are behind me as we'll so having a physical copy isn't that important to me.

Thanks for the post Slimbo, I didn't realize that you had the first issue for free.
Old 03-29-13, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
slimbo, I assume (based on the HD comment and the guided view, and the first free issue) that you're representing Comixology, but your post doesn't make that clear.
Yep! I thought my occupation transfered over to the sidebar, but it didn't. :-/
Old 07-02-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been having the same internal debate.

Kindle sometimes has much cheaper prices than Comixology. Plus I feel more comfy buying from Amazon because it has much better costumer service.

But I really prefer Comixology's guided view that blows up individual panels to the size of your screen. Makes for a much more enjoyable reading experience.

But then again....Amazon is so much darn cheaper sometimes.

What's your latest thought on the debate?
Old 07-02-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've typically bought comics off Amazon, but i'm not a huge comic reader or collector and just like to read the occasional trade here and there when they're cheap. Plus I happened to get a Kindle Fire way back when it first came out so part of it was messing with it and finding things to read and do on it. I know those also let you zoom in on panels with a double tap for easier reading on a smaller screen. I imagine for people buying a lot more it's easier and more organized with Comixology, since the Kindle app lumps comics in with everything else (at least on my Kindle). The Kindle works well for me though.
Old 07-02-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Is there a way to zoom on images in Kindle? I buy from there sometimes in price, and I know you can double tap a panel to make it slightly larger, but I like that I can blow up an image pretty much as large as I want in Comixology, but that doesn't seem to be an option on kindle.
Old 07-02-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I buy on both. However, with Amazon having bought Comixology, I'd expect a merger to happen sooner or later (or at least the ability to merge libraries) unless there's some weird contractual obligation not to do so.
Old 07-02-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish they would merge technologies and allow Kindle purchases to be viewed the same way as Comixology is.

When Marvel and DC hand their digital comics to Kindle and Comixology, do those companies then "load" them into their systems differently?
Old 07-05-14, 06:34 PM
Banned

I don't think Kindle comics will rotate orientation, or at least I haven't been able to figure out how to get them to rotate. They seem locked in portrait mode. That really sucks with double-page spreads because they need to be in landscape mode. That, to me, is a deal breaker right there.
Old 07-05-14, 08:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I had very minimal content on the two services for years as I largely ignored digital content. But with all the freebies of the past year, my Comixology library exploded and I have gotten lured in. I've bought some things on Amazon, but probably 90% on Comixology. As I approached that number I now shy away from even the amazing deals on Amazon, for fear that they never merge the content and I end up forgetting what small part of my collection is on Amazon. I think I've already re-bought a few things on Comixology that I forgot I had on Amazon.