New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8

Old 02-25-13, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...w10mf4wS324GhN

Spoiler:
Damian dies.

I always suspected Morrison would kill Damian or he would be sent into limbo once Morrison left.

It makes me wonder if there will ever be another Robin. It was a long time after Jason died before Bruce allowed Tim to officially become Robin. Damian is his own biological son, and this death will hit him a hundred times harder than Jason's death.

On the other hand, Harper Row got an entire issue devoted to herself in Snyder's Batman. That made me wonder if she might not become the next Robin. There has never actually been a canon female Robin before. The Dark Knight Returns was never canon, so Carrie Kelly was never canon. Stephanie Brown was a canon female Robin, but she only lasted for one single storyarc, so she barely counts. A new permanent female Robin would be something completely new.
Old 02-25-13, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New York Post spoils Batman Inc #8

Again? That trick never works!
Old 02-25-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Spoiler:

Robins don't die, they're just retconned out (poor Stephanie, she's thrown away, revitalized, then thrown away again).

Really I see no reason why Tim can't still be Robin. I haven't read Teen Titans lately, but the initial few arcs I read were pretty crappy, and it's not like he's doing anything else. I liked Damian ok as Dick's Robin, but I always preferred Tim anyway.
Old 02-25-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Spoiler:

Robins don't die, they're just retconned out (poor Stephanie, she's thrown away, revitalized, then thrown away again).

Really I see no reason why Tim can't still be Robin. I haven't read Teen Titans lately, but the initial few arcs I read were pretty crappy, and it's not like he's doing anything else. I liked Damian ok as Dick's Robin, but I always preferred Tim anyway.
I agree.
Old 02-25-13, 04:56 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
Wouldn't if be funny if this is DC's way of bringing Stephanie back by making her the new Robin? Kill one fan-favorite character in order to bring back another fan-favorite.
Old 02-25-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Spoiler:
Wouldn't if be funny if this is DC's way of bringing Stephanie back by making her the new Robin? Kill one fan-favorite character in order to bring back another fan-favorite.
Spoiler:
But she wasn't a fan favorite as Robin, at least not that I remember. I can barely remember the story around her being Robin but I don't think I was a big fan at the time, it seemed like Bats just wanted to spite Tim, kinda trained her, fired her which resulted in her torture and apparent death, then after she died never even put up a memorial of her because hey, she wasn't really a Robin.

I mean I liked her as Spoiler and I liked her as Batgirl, but as Robin? Eh. Maybe a Robin to Barbara's Batgirl or something, where she won't be eventually put in a fridge.
Old 02-26-13, 01:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
Spoiler:
But she wasn't a fan favorite as Robin, at least not that I remember. I can barely remember the story around her being Robin but I don't think I was a big fan at the time, it seemed like Bats just wanted to spite Tim, kinda trained her, fired her which resulted in her torture and apparent death, then after she died never even put up a memorial of her because hey, she wasn't really a Robin.

I mean I liked her as Spoiler and I liked her as Batgirl, but as Robin? Eh. Maybe a Robin to Barbara's Batgirl or something, where she won't be eventually put in a fridge.
Spoiler:
Sorry, I didn't specifically mean Stephanie was a fan-favorite as Robin, just that she was a fan-favorite in general, and that it would be funny if DC killed off one fan-favorite (Damian) just to bring back another fan-favorite (Stephanie).
Old 02-26-13, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah sure,
Spoiler:
the grandson of Ra's Al Ghul
is going to be dead forever...
Old 02-26-13, 03:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yeah sure,
Spoiler:
the grandson of Ra's Al Ghul
is going to be dead forever...
Spoiler:
We don't know how Damian dies yet. The nature of some deaths would make it impossible for a Lazarus Pit resurrection. For example, the Lazarus Pit cannot reattach the severed head of someone who has been decapitated.

When Jason died, Bruce said the reason why he never used a Lazarus Pit to resurrect him was because he had severe head trauma from the explosion. So Jason would have been resurrected with permanent brain damage that the Lazarus Pit could not heal.

I really believe Damian's death will be a death that actually lasts, or at least lasts for a long time. I have suspected Damian would be killed off ever since he was first introduced. There are just too many things that add up to it happening.

First, the people currently working at DC and Marvel absolutely hate having their superheroes be married and/or have kids. One of the biggest trends of the last several years has been the dissolution of marriages and erasing the kids.

Second, Morrison said he originally planned to kill Damian very early in his run. However, Damian ended up becoming a fan-favorite, so Morrison changed his mind. Did he really change his mind or did he just postpone Damian's death?

Third, being a fan-favorite doesn't automatically save you. Look at Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Wally West. They were all fan-favorites, and where are they now...

All of that adds up to Damian's days being numbered. If Morrison didn't kill him himself, then DC would almost certainly have sent Damian off to limbo to join Steph, Cass, and Wally after Morrison left.

So I truly believe that as long as the current people are still at DC, Damian is gone for good. Maybe in 20 years some new hot shot writer will have been a Damian fan and decide to bring him back (similar to how Geoff Johns was a big Hal and Barry fan and brought them back decades later). I can't imagine Damian coming back anytime soon though.
Old 02-26-13, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I just want Tim back as Robin. I dont hate Damian, just thought there was plenty to still do with Tim.
Old 02-26-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

First, the people currently working at DC and Marvel absolutely hate having their superheroes be married and/or have kids. One of the biggest trends of the last several years has been the dissolution of marriages and erasing the kids.

This is one of the reasons I finally purged (most of) my desire to read monthlies. They really want nothing to change... the whole marriage thing and kids and teen sidekicks growing up means that the icons need to grow up and change and age, and there's no way that that's happening. I can understand the mindset, even though it made me mad when that Marvel editor basically said they count on cycling readership anyway. But as a kid I grew up with Levitz's Legion and Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, watched them evolve and grow, saw Wally become his own man and a Flash in his own right, heck, even the Young Justice kids grew up, only to see that reset multiple times. I guess if you only care about the icons that's fine, but then the very structure of a monthly comic and a connected universe for people that aren't allowed to change and grow is kinda useless when you can just go read a finite series like All Star Superman or DKR that are largely unencumbered by the baggage.

Or maybe I'm just a cranky old man telling the kids to get off my lawn. Or both.
Old 02-26-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I hate to say it
Spoiler:
but the news that Morrison is killing off Damien makes me want to go back to the comic shop for the first time in a while and pick up Batman Inc.

Not solely because he's going to die, because I ended up like the dynamic that was created with Damien, but because I remember Morrison saying that the ending of his Leviathan storyline was supposed to be a real tearjerker.

However, I stopped buying Batman & Robin when Morrison left. Batman Inc was too big a departure in concept for me to initially embrace but then it got cancelled with the NEW 52, and it seemed that the major Batman storyline and titles were the ones that had the Spawn artist on them, and Tony Daniels writing. I was surprised to find out that Batman Inc. started back up again.

Actually, I take it back, I probably won't be buying this issue, despite Morrison's high caliber writing. It's hard for me to enjoy the story when so much changes and then gets un-changed again. Robin II aka Jason Todd was dead but came back. Robin IV aka Spoiler died but came back as Batgirl but now is in limbo maybe, Batgirl was paralyzed for now is back to being Batgirl again, Batman died in both RIP AND Final Crisis but came back again, and now Damien is supposed to die.
Old 02-26-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I honestly could never understand why this character made it into the "New 52" to begin with...I thought he would have been dropped. Guess I know why they kept him now...to kill him off.
Old 02-26-13, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I honestly could never understand why this character made it into the "New 52" to begin with...I thought he would have been dropped. Guess I know why they kept him now...to kill him off.
Spoiler:
Damian made it into the New 52 simply because Morrison is one of the top dogs at DC, and DC didn't want to piss him off by sending Damian into limbo while Morrison was still working for them.

Its the only thing that makes sense. The whole reason they made Barbara into Batgirl again is because she is the "iconic" Batgirl that everyone knows. Yet they kept Damian as Robin even though new readers wouldn't have the slightest clue who he is.

I was reading over on the CBR forums, and someone there apparently got the comic today. He hasn't posted any scans to prove it, but he described how Damian dies. Apparently Damian gets thrown through a window, gets his back broken, shot full of arrows, and finally impaled with a sword.

If that's true, then all I can think is . The brutality of that makes Jason's death seem really tame in comparison.
Old 02-27-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ready for some spoilers?

From CBR

Spoiler:
The issue opens with Damian swooping in to save the day while Red Robin rescues Ellie from Wayne Tower, which is now fully in the control of Talia and her league archers. Grayson and Damian team up just in time to bump into the Heretic, who is carrying the Oroboros cube, referring to it as a world-bomb. Damian and Dick attack, but Dick is quickly beaten down. Damian takes over the fight, while yelling for his mother to call off the Heretic and let them settle it.

This is where it takes a bad turn. Damian, in the naivety of a child, still thinks this is all about him. He thinks that his mother will not kill him and will stop if he just cooperates. While constantly calling out for his mother to stop what she's doing, the Heretic brutally murders Damian. He gets bashed, broken spine, thrown through a window, filled with arrows, and eventually impaled on a sword, all the while calling out for his mother and father to intervene. That's it for Damian. He dies realizing that his mother doesn't care if he's murdered and his father couldn't save him.

Bruce escapes his box trap and rides a Man-bat into the window to find Damian dead on the ground and Ellie standing there, holding Oroboros after Heretic dropped it. Talia is shown in distress, shedding a tear in 'weakness' over letting Damian die. Then we see the familiar 'Death in the Family' pose as Damian is gone.

Pretty brutal.

Kinda funny how jack shit happened in Death of the Family, and Morrison knocks it out in 1 issue.
Old 02-27-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

My store was sold out before they opened.
Old 02-27-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

If Dick Grayson or Barbara Gordon can't be Robin (yes, I went there), it needs to be Tim Drake. If they didn't care about continuity when starting the new 52, I would have retconned Barbara Gordon into being Robin before she turned into Batgirl.
Old 02-27-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My shops are sold out also.

Rumor has it here is your new Robin:

Spoiler:
Old 02-27-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't paid much attention to anything in the new 52, but the spoiler got my interest. That's some ugly art.
Old 02-27-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The second the East Coast sold out, some West Coast stores started upping their prices before they opened. Some of the dealers at Frank & Sons (a local show out here) have already said they're pricing the book at $5 when they open at 3pm today.
Old 02-27-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's actually some nice looking art to me.
Spoiler:
The art and coloring makes me want to get that issue but I thought Morrison would write a better scene. How is it that Damien can get shot full of arrows, his back broken, shot with bullets and still be fighting? It comes across like an episode of Itch and Scratchy.

I don't like the idea that Batman & Robin, as a team are lasting less and less time. Dick Grayson was Robin for like 40 years. Jason Todd was Robin for like 5 years. Tim Drake for about 20 years. Spoiler maybe a few months?? Damien for 4 years. And now they're going to bring in another Robin?
Old 02-27-13, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
Spoiler:
I don't like the idea that Batman & Robin, as a team are lasting less and less time. Dick Grayson was Robin for like 40 years. Jason Todd was Robin for like 5 years. Tim Drake for about 20 years. Spoiler maybe a few months?? Damien for 4 years. And now they're going to bring in another Robin?
Spoiler:

Tim lasted a long time, so the time spans haven't been steadily decreasing.

Stephanie was never meant to be a permanent Robin. She served as a fill-in for one storyarc, and that's it.

I really don't believe Damian was ever meant to be a permanent character either. Morrison has said he always planned to kill Damian off.

The thing about Harper Row becoming Robin is just fanboy rumors. There is no official word. I can't imagine they would introduce a new Robin anytime soon anyway. It took a long time for Bruce to let Tim become Robin after Jason died. Damian was his own flesh and blood son, and I can't see Bruce letting someone else become Robin for quite some time.
Old 02-27-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well
Spoiler:
yeah, Tim Drake had a nice 20 year stay. Which is why I think it was odd to give Damien the role of Robin since Tim was still around. DC tried so hard to make Tim Drake more like the other Robins by making him an orphan and having Bruce adopt him only to get pushed aside when the book isn't selling what they think it should. And Stephanie Brown getting killed off was, IMO, just typical shock value to get people to buy up an issue. I find it difficult to enjoy these books when everything that happens is insubstantial.

I actually started to like the idea that Bruce Wayne was really dead (even thought Morrison said upfront he really wasn't). Unlike Captain America, I was enjoying the dynamic of Dick Grayson being a father figure to Damien while trying to fill the intimidating role of his own father figure. The writing was good, and even though the artists were revolving, for the most part it looked good. But when you have a character owned by a corporation, natural story progression is near impossible.

That's why I liked the movie Kick-Ass. It had a Batman & Robin inspired duo, but it also had a beginning and an end, so when one character died, you knew it wasn't just a matter of time before they came back.

Morrison himself wanted the effects of his X-Men run to stay in place. The story would take place in a post-human world but Marvel wanted to keep mutants as being representative of an oppressed minority group. So they moved them to San Francisco so the similarities between the gay community and the fictional mutant community would be more apparent. That's good for the brand but, in my opinion, not for the integrity of the story.
Old 02-27-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
My shops are sold out also.

Rumor has it here is your new Robin:

Spoiler:
I figured DC would choose a character like that...

Spoiler:
I am almost positive the next time we see a Batman movie, it will be with a female Robin. It's the last demo that even the vaunted Batman has never reached at the theaters, teenage girls. I suspect this character will be the test run for a female Robin in continuity.
Old 02-28-13, 01:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I figured DC would choose a character like that...

Spoiler:
I am almost positive the next time we see a Batman movie, it will be with a female Robin. It's the last demo that even the vaunted Batman has never reached at the theaters, teenage girls. I suspect this character will be the test run for a female Robin in continuity.
Spoiler:
What really confuses me about the Harper Row character is if DC did want a female Robin, then this would be the perfect opportunity for them to bring Stephanie Brown back. It doesn't make sense why they would create a brand new character instead of bringing back a fan-favorite.

Also, as I mentioned before, why would Bruce even want a new Robin so soon after his own biological son was just brutally murdered? It goes completely against his character. It took him seemingly forever* to allow Tim to officially become Robin after Jason was murdered, and Damian being murdered should hit him a heck of a lot harder.

*Yeah, I know it was only about 1.5 real-time years from when Tim was introduced in late 1989 in A Lonely Place of Dying to early 1991 when he officially became Robin, but when you are a young kid reading these comics month-to-month as they are published that 1.5 years seemed like forever.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.