Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic/Super-Hero Sheep NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic/Super-Hero Sheep NOW!

I submitted. Someone has to get a guaranteed last place.
Old 02-15-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sent in my answers, didn't give much thought to them but oh well! Some I had no idea and were just wild guesses.
Old 02-15-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I'm a casual comic fan. Have no idea what 616 means Never heard of Valiant Comics. Never read Secret Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy (though you'd think one of the names would stick with me having read blurbs about the upcoming movie ... but it hasn't). I'm usually hesitant to enter these things when I know I can't compete ... but seeing all the other DVDTalkers who clearly aren't afraid to suck may help me to suck it up and have fun with it.
Casual comic fans don't exist, they were killed off in the great market implosion of the '90s.

For anyone confused about the 616 Marvel universe, it's simply a codename for the mainstream Marvel continuity that everyone has been reading since the 1960s. It is to differentiate from the Ultimate Marvel universe of the past decade, which resides in a different timeline and has different characters.
Old 02-15-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Casual comic fans don't exist, they were killed off in the great market implosion of the '90s.
Funny you should say that ... because I stopped buying comics in the 90's!
Old 02-15-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Personally, would've also accepted actor names for the Stand By Me question, but that's just me. I accepted answers like "The Voodoo Guy" as a match for Papa Shango and was also very liberal for matching video game names (I matched "Smackdown vs. Raw" with "Raw vs. Smackdown" for example), in the wrestling game.
George Frasier thanks you for your support.
Old 02-15-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I thought the worst was counting Michael Anthony Hall as separate from Anthony Michael Hall. I'm very forgiving when I group answers together when it's obvious what they intended.
Me too. There is no reason to be uptight about such things.
Old 02-15-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Nah on sheep qs there are no penalties, and I don't believe that should change, as there are no wrong answers, just bad answers. If you do give +1s to "I don't know", then people will just say "My dad" or something, which would get a 0 score anyway. If you give +1 to wrong answers, then you open a bigger can of worms .
Just as an example: name your favorite Brady character. Sure you might get a unique Sam the Butcher or Oliver or heck even Tiger the dog, but I don't feel it's the same as if you just put "I don't know" or "Thomas Magnum".

Last edited by devilshalo; 02-15-13 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Just as an example: name your favorite Brady character. Sure you might get a unique Sam the Butcher or Oliver or heck even Tiger the dog, but I don't feel it's the same as if you just put "I don't know" or "Thomas Magnum".
Sheep isn't about awarding knowledge of facts.
Old 02-15-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you'd have to require all sheep answers be correct, which I suppose would be your prerogative.
Old 02-15-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it too late to join?
Old 02-15-13, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

For anyone confused about the 616 Marvel universe, it's simply a codename for the mainstream Marvel continuity that everyone has been reading since the 1960s. It is to differentiate from the Ultimate Marvel universe of the past decade, which resides in a different timeline and has different characters.
The 616 universe was first referenced in the early 1980s.

There are many universes in Marvel besides the Ultimate universe.

There's the Age of Apocalypse universe from the 1990s story.

The 2099 universe with Miguel O'Hara as Spider-Man.

The Marvel Zombie universe where all the heroes and villains are zombies.

The MC2 universe which pretends that Peter and MJ actually did have a baby in the 1990s Clone Saga, and the baby grew up to become Spider-Girl. Peter retired having lost his leg in his final battle with Norman Osborn at the end of the Clone Saga, and Norman stayed truly dead this time.

The Avengers movie universe is treated as a new universe in Marvel.

The Spider-Ham universe, with Peter Porker and all his friends and enemies are anthropomorphic animals.

Marvel even did Alf comics in the 1980s under their Star Comics imprint, and those comics had an X-Men parody featuring the Melmac version of the X-Men called X-Melmen. It had characters like Professor Xylophone, Magmeato, Michigan Wolverine, etc. I believe the X-Melmen are considered a universe within the Marvel multiverse as well.
Old 02-15-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Way to help people answer
Old 02-15-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Then you'd have to require all sheep answers be correct, which I suppose would be your prerogative.
It's just learning now and trying to put my own sheep together. I've got about 12 questions done for my saturday morning cartoon sheep and I know it's a big universe that people can pull from (as opposed to the 80's movies sheep game). I'm just trying to figure out how obscure I could be in hitting those cartoons from the 70s thru to today.
Old 02-15-13, 05:45 PM
Banned

^ Way to help people answer
Huh? It doesn't help people answer anything.

And besides I would assume the game is closed now to new players anyway. It's been almost 24 hours since the sheepmaster said he was only taking a few more people's answers.
Old 02-15-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Huh? It doesn't help people answer anything.

And besides I would assume the game is closed now to new players anyway. It's been almost 24 hours since the sheepmaster said he was only taking a few more people's answers.
Well, you did give possible answers for
Spoiler:
4 and 23
Old 02-15-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, we are closed. Todd B. did not send any answers yet, so Ill still take his, but other than that we are closed.
Old 02-15-13, 06:22 PM
Banned

Well, you did give possible answers for
Spoiler:
4 and 23
I never mentioned any of Peter's love interests except MJ, and who doesn't already know about her? She isn't likely a good reverse answer, and even if she is because everyone wanted to go obscure, I still didn't really help anyone because everyone already knows her. People that never read a Spider-Man comic in their life know MJ. If someone doesn't know MJ, they have been living life under a rock and probably shouldn't be playing this game.

I assume you mean 22 and not 23. That's a sheep question, and I seriously doubt the one or two non-Peter Parker Spider-Men I mentioned are going to be good sheep answers. I would have been a help to a reverse version of that question, but not the sheep version.
Old 02-15-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it's still better than 'i don't know'.. and you're saying that peter can't love his child? or is that a sheep ruling?
Old 02-15-13, 06:50 PM
Banned

it's still better than 'i don't know'.. and you're saying that peter can't love his child? or is that a sheep ruling?
The question implies romantic love since it says Peter is a playboy. Unless Peter is into incest, I don't think his daughter (or Aunt May) should count as correct answers.

The potential answers I gave were all very poor answers to actually use, so they are only marginally better than an "I don't know" response, and certainly not enough to make a significant difference in scores.
Old 02-15-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I swear you always go off on off topic random comic book tangents just to show your knowledge or something.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-15-13 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 07:38 PM
Banned

How was I going off topic? People were already discussing the whole 616 thing and the different Marvel universes.

I just listed some of the different universes in case someone was curious. I guess not.
Old 02-15-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Good thing I didn't send in my answers since I won't have any time to actually join the live proceedings. Seems like I'm about to buy a house. Have fun everyone else.
Old 02-16-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Good thing I didn't send in my answers since I won't have any time to actually join the live proceedings. Seems like I'm about to buy a house. Have fun everyone else.
Hardly a reason to miss a sheep game.
Old 02-16-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Sign document, F5, sign document, F5, sign document, F5... what's so difficult about that?
Old 02-16-13, 08:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats on your upgrade from the wall, Hadrian!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.