Old 02-07-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Free Comic Book Day - May 4, 2013

Another year, another FCBD:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com

Some of the offerings...

SUPERMAN: LAST SON OF KRYPTON - SPECIAL EDITION (DC):

Superman: The Last Son of Krypton #1 is a great jumping-on point for fans who can't wait to see Warner Bros. Pictures' Man of Steel major motion picture! This issue features the first chapter of the Superman: Last Son of Krypton graphic novel, written by Richard Donner and Geoff Johns and illustrated by Adam Kubert, featuring Superman's epic battle with General Zod and the Phantom Zone villains.

In addition, it includes a special sneak preview of the blockbuster new monthly series starring The Man of Steel by the all-star team of Scott Snyder and Jim Lee!
INFINITY (Marvel):

The biggest super heroes in comics today - the Avengers, X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four, Inhumans, Superior Spider-Man & more!
The most dangerous threat in the Marvel Universe - Thanos!

The grandest Marvel Comics event of all time - INFINITY!

This May for Free Comic Book Day, prepare yourselves for the greatest battle for survival ever waged in the Marvel Universe as Marvel marches towards Infinity! In this all-new story by the blockbuster creative team of Jonathan Hickman and Jim Cheung, witness the opening shots of the war that will be heard around the galaxy. Plus, get a sneak peek behind a major Marvel release that hasn't been announced yet and relive Thanos' first solo story.
With the entire Marvel Universe on the brink of intergalactic war, no fan can miss this year's Free Comic Book Day!
STAR WARS CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT AVATAR (Dark Horse):

All-ages adventure! Star Wars joins fan-favorite villains Darth Vader and Boba Fett! Then explore the upcoming Dark Horse series Captain Midnight, where the search for the missing superhero is on! And the smash hit Avatar: The Last Airbender follows Mai as she deals with her broken heart . . .
THE WALKING DEAD SPECIAL (Image):

This special Walking Dead issue contains a new Tyrese short story, who made his television debut in The Walking Dead Season 3! It also reprints short stories featuring Michonne, The Governor and Morgan. This special issue is a must-have for Walking Dead fans--none of these stories will be reprinted in the trade paperbacks!
TMNT: NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES (IDW):

Jumping from screen to page, it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES! This unique series captures the heart of the smash Nickelodeon television show with brand-new stories. Full of action, excitement and laughs, this is the perfect all-ages comic to get you seeing green!!
WORLD OF ARCHIE DIGEST (Archie):

Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead! The world's most famous teenagers for over seven decades are all here in this FREE digest! Packed with non-stop laughs and gaffs that the Riverdale gang is known for, we challenge you to find a Free Comic Book Day offering with more pages than this! The perfect introduction to the world of Archie and friends, this digest is a great primer to the double digests that Archie Comics are known for. Filled with stories from some of the best creators in the business, this is the one to pick up on Free Comic Book Day!

Looking forward to Marvel's Infinity. Hickman & Cheung! Yummy! A bit disappointed DC is going the reprint route this year.

Also looking forward to these books:

THE RED TEN #0 (Comix Tribe):

Who are THE RED TEN? And who wants them dead? Delve deeper into the murder mystery maxi-series that is a superhero retelling of Agatha Christie's classic whodunit "And Then There Were None." Also features OXYMORON: QUIET RIOT, where a super-criminal psychopath holds a city hostage in terrifying silence as one cop struggles to stop the madman before her city burns to the ground
BUCK ROGERS (Hermes Press):

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the first, best and original sci-fi hero is supporting free comic book day with a special re-print of two complete Sunday stories by fabled artist Rick Yager, who defined the look of the character for over twenty years. Hermes Press' Buck Rogers FCBD issue will feature two complete, exciting storylines starring Buck Rogers and Wilma Deering in "The Mind of Minds" and "Wilma to the Rescue." These stories have been painstakingly digitally reconstructed to perfection and look better than the original newspaper Sundays! Hermes Press' Buck Rogers FDBD issue will also offer bonus material and tons of surprises!
MOLLY DANGER / PRINCELESS (Action Lab):

Two complete stories! She's Strong, She's smart, and she's incredibly brave. She's the protector of Coopersville, the Princess of Finesse, the petite powerhouse known only as Molly Danger! But what secrets threaten everything she holds dear. And on her way to rescue her sisters, Adrienne finds another mysterious princess locked away in a tower, but she's guarded by one of the knights sent to hunt Adrienne. Who is this princess and will Adrienne and Bedelia survive trying to rescue her?

There's a lot more. Looks like FCBD 2013 will be a good year!
Old 02-08-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Free Comic Book Day - May 4, 2013

I wonder how much that Walking Dead book will be selling for on eBay the next day...
Old 02-08-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$50 bucks by the end of the weekend. $100 the following week.
Old 02-08-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Thanks for starting the thread! Looks like I might have to try to get there earlier this year for that TWD.
Old 03-15-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fantagraphics posted a preview of their Prince Valiant issue:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/cata.../STK524328.pdf
Old 03-15-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! I love Foster's art!
Old 04-09-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
My LCS is pretty tiny and not nearly as well known as the big comic book stores in LA, so there were about 15 people total milling about. The only limit they had was one copy per title per person, so I picked up Buffy, Serenity, DC, and Avengers. They didn't have the Mouseguard book, sadly. Also purchased the deluxe edition of Black Orchid that I didn't even realize had come out.
Hey Supermallet (if you're around) - Which store did you hit last year (if you don't mind telling)? Do they stamp their store ID on the books?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
$50 bucks by the end of the weekend. $100 the following week.
Sounds like that "Walking Dead" book is shaping up to be this season's hottest item.

This special issue is a must-have for Walking Dead fans--none of these stories will be reprinted in the trade paperbacks!
What about the hardcovers?

Isn't the Morgan story included in one of the hardcovers?

Seems to be some wriggle room in that statement.
Old 04-12-13, 07:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Anyone know of any online retailers offering FCBD bundles this year? A quick check finds nothing.
Old 04-19-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be posting my books on eBay around 10 a.m. so please keep your eyes peeled! Hoping to make enough money to buy an iPad with my Walkind Dead freebie.
Old 04-19-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Anyone know of any online retailers offering FCBD bundles this year? A quick check finds nothing.
Mile High Comics did it last year if you bought $X from them. I haven't seen anything about it yet this year.
Old 04-20-13, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
DCBService.com offers five FCBD books to their customers; you place your order for them with your regular order the month they're offered. The offer is probably nowhere on their site now, though. They do say they accept late orders, so you might try that.
Old 04-22-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by madcougar
I'll be posting my books on eBay around 10 a.m. so please keep your eyes peeled! Hoping to make enough money to buy an iPad with my Walkind Dead freebie.
Yeah, what FCBD really needs is speculators knocking aside kids to grab the comics.
Old 04-23-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pfft. Kids should be use to that by now after visiting Toys R Us and avoiding frantic toy collectors.
Old 04-23-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, what FCBD really needs is speculators knocking aside kids to grab the comics.
First, I'm kidding... Second, the only kid I ever see at FCBD is my son who only goes because I drag his butt with me.
Old 04-23-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

First, I'm kidding... Second, the only kid I ever see at FCBD is my son who only goes because I drag his butt with me.
I know you were joking about yourself, but I do think there'll be a lot of people going for these. I hope I'm still able to snag a copy.

I do see kids at one of the two stores I hit, but it's a neighborhood place that's more accessible than a lot of LCS in my area.
Old 04-28-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems the kids I see at FCBD are ones that came because their parent brougth them. Kids just aren't into comics.
Old 04-30-13, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

http://www.milehighcomics.com/newsletter/
You can pick 1 for every $10 you spend. Kind of an expensive way of getting them all :/ but it works if you really want them all.
Old 04-30-13, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's Mile High Comics. Of course it's going to be expensive.
Old 04-30-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

We're getting our delivery today, so I should be all set.
Old 05-01-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I never see teenagers but I do see lots of small children with their parents that seem genuinely interested in looking at the comic books. Young kids still love bright, colorful art and comic books aren't that far removed from the children's books most kids have today.

I actually see more young girls at shops on FCBD than young boys. Videogames seem to have permanently blunted boys' interest in comics on some level. If the industry wanted to get back in shape, get Congress to outlaw videogames before a certain age.
Old 05-01-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Gonna go to my first ever FCBD with the kids. They could care less but I really want them to read more. If comics can get them into reading more and less FB then I'm all for it.
I'm not into comics like I was in my youth but I try every year at SDCC to get them to read something that looks interesting but I think choices may be it. They are Girls after all.
Getting a go at free comics is the perfect opportunity since if they dont like them, at least I didnt have to pay for them ...
Old 05-03-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Wow, so we didn't get as many "adult" age titles as I thought. Was only able to snag a few. I may go to one of our other sites where I know they got some. I'm also disappointed that Judge Dredd is not oversized like it has been the last two years. Oh well.

Old 05-03-13, 03:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Sounds like that "Walking Dead" book is shaping up to be this season's hottest item.

What about the hardcovers?

Isn't the Morgan story included in one of the hardcovers?

Seems to be some wriggle room in that statement.
There's an additional Morgan story in the first paperback Compendium for sure. I don't know if that made it into the hardcovers or other paperbacks.
Old 05-03-13, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kodave
There's an additional Morgan story in the first paperback Compendium for sure. I don't know if that made it into the hardcovers or other paperbacks.
The Christmas story? I think that's one that will be in the FCBD book. It first appeared in an Image Holiday special or something. I think it's in the hardcovers and big softcover compendiums, but no the TPBs.

The other stories are the Michonne story (from Playboy magazine, and reprinted in the Michonne special along with her first appearance), the Governor story (from a CBLDF Annual, reprinted in the Governor special along with his first appearance), and an all-new Tyreese story.

I can maybe see where these stories wouldn't fit in with where the paperbacks and hardcovers are now since they're all flashbacks, and the Walking Dead collected issues are all past where those stories would be relevant.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.