Old 09-13-12, 10:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New Sandman Series Coming in 2013

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/...sandman-series

Comic-Con: Neil Gaiman Announces New Sandman Series
The Sandman returns to Vertigo.
by Joey Esposito JULY 12, 2012

Fans have been waiting for this news forever: Neil Gaiman is returning to his most famous comic book work. That's right, Sandman is coming back to Vertigo in 2013.

The project was announced at the Vertigo panel at San Diego Comic-Con by Neil Gaiman himself via video, which you can watch below:

Paired with artist J.H. Williams III, the new mini-series will mark the writer's return to the series for the first time in over ten years.

"When I finished writing The Sandman, there was one tale still untold. The story of what had happened to Morpheus to allow him to be so easily captured in The Sandman #1, and why he was returned from far away, exhausted beyond imagining, and dressed for war. It was a story that we discussed telling for Sandman's 20th anniversary... but the time got away from us. And now, with Sandman's 25th anniversary year coming up, I'm delighted, and nervous, that that story is finally going to be told," said Gaiman.

"There's nothing like a Neil Gaiman story," said Vertigo Executive Editor Karen Berger, "and there's nothing like having Neil back home on The Sandman, his dark, soulful, literary epic that transformed comics and continues to captivate countless new readers year after year. Working with him again, and with JH Williams, the extraordinary and groundbreaking artist, is truly the stuff dreams are made of."

"As accomplished as Neil Gaiman is in other media—whether it be novels, film and even music—he still has an incredible passion and love for comics. It’s exciting to have him back," said Jim Lee and Dan Didio in a joint statement. "J.H. Williams will be the perfect complement to Neil’s writing. He has a history of creating art that pushes the boundaries of the medium."

Williams also showed off a first look at the artwork for the series on his blog.

The official title of the project hasn't been announced yet, but it will release in 2013 with same-day digital releases.
Here is the preview artwork:

Sandman is my all-time favorite comic book series. One of my favorite works of literature, period. Needless to say, I'm beyond excited for this. I'm glad DC treats this property with more respect than Watchmen.
Old 09-14-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Re: New Sandman Series Coming in 2013

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm glad DC treats this property with more respect than Watchmen.
Well, Neil Gaiman was pretty easy about letting DC do dozen's of spin offs and mini-series with characters from Sandman, so DC didn't have to "disrespect" the property like they did with Watchmen.

And, had they been more respectful to Gaiman himself, he would have already written this story for the 20th anniversary. It turns out it wasn't time that got away from them, it was royalties.

Love Sandman unlike any other comic. I remember me and my friends being excited the Wednesday it was coming out, driving into town during lunch period to get the new issue. I've never anticipated a comic before or since like that, the way you're itching for a new episode of your favorite TV show. The scope of the story, all the different characters, and mood, hilarious, sad, exciting, frightening... Such a wonderful piece of work.

I was quite underwhelmed by Endless Nights, and am afraid this new mini-series has yet to capture my interest. I think the time for Sandman is over. It's like trying to do another Back to the Future or Godfather movie, time has moved on.

And even though jumping all around the time-line was throughout Sandman, there is something that feels a little desperate about trying to tell this story of Morpheus prior to his imprisonment. It feels like yet another "prequel" that film makers attempt when they run out of things to say, so they revisit a beloved old favorite. I expect this to be about on the same level as Before Watchmen.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 09-14-12 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-14-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

I have a complete run of Sandman. I loved them, and I bought them as they came out. I bought all the spin-off titles, including Lucifer and Sandman Mystery Theater.

But I think that Neil Gaiman has moved on, and I know that I've moved on. I doubt I'll buy it.
Old 09-14-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

It would have been bigger news if it was an ongoing, not a mini-series.
Old 09-14-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I have a complete run of Sandman. I loved them, and I bought them as they came out. I bought all the spin-off titles, including Lucifer and Sandman Mystery Theater.

But I think that Neil Gaiman has moved on, and I know that I've moved on. I doubt I'll buy it.
Yes you will.
Old 11-01-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Picked this up yesterday, and despite my pessimestic post earlier in the year, I enjoyed the first issue quite a bit. They managed to capture the same tone as the earlier Sandman comics, which impressed me. The art is quite something, the page layouts all really interesting with lots of hidden detail. And it ends with a fold-out gorgeous image that set my imagination racing.

So, thumbs up.
Old 04-26-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What was the consensus on this miniseries, without discussing details? I just preordered the collection from Amazon.
Old 04-26-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Yes you will.
Nope. I didn't even check whether other people liked it.
Old 04-26-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
What was the consensus on this miniseries, without discussing details? I just preordered the collection from Amazon.
So far, all I have to say is "Yes, you can go home again."
Old 04-26-15, 04:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I resolved to not open it until it's finished. But it's so far off my radar lately that I have no idea how many issues are out or how many are planned. Really looking forward to it someday though. I think I've read his first Sandman run three times now.
Old 04-26-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just realized it wasn't finished yet. Geez.
Old 04-26-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yet you revisited this thread immediately after I bumped it.

I'm glad I waited. The time between issues would piss me off so bad.
Old 04-27-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Wish they'd get off their asses and get them out in a timely manner, though.
Old 04-28-15, 10:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The delays are infuriating, but so far the stories have been very good.
Old 04-29-15, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The delays are infuriating, but so far the stories have been very good.
Yeah, the delays suck. What is it, about six months between issues?

Jeezus... How long is it going to get the final nine issues of Miracleman out?

But speaking of the new Sandman series, the one quibble I have with the story is
Spoiler:
with the idea that the Endless have parents. In the Old series it was always implied that the seven Endless existed because theuniverse needed them. Giving them parents seems to add an unncecessary complication to the mythology. But I'll have to wait and see where the story goes before I can pass final judgment.