Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

15 best batman stories youve never read‏

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,175 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: 15 best batman stories youve never read‏

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
A lot of people don't know this, but those issues were also reprinted in the 80s as a miniseries called Shadow of the Batman. (Not to be confused with the 90s ongoing series Shadow of the Bat.)

If you don't mind buying floppies you might want to check that out. I looked on mycomicshop and they have the entire miniseries in stock for $3-$6 per issue depending on the condition of the comic. The miniseries is five issues because each issue is double-sized and reprints two of the original Detective Comics issues.

Here's the mycomicshop link:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=180891
Nice, knowing my luck a few weeks after I pick up the single issues DC will announce a re-release
Old 08-13-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved almost anything from Steve Englehart and Marshel Rogers.

What a great team. The story and art were so dramatic.

"The Laughing Fish" was awesome, disturbing in some ways. Those smiles on the fish and people is what I think about so many times when Batman comes to mind.

Rogers/Austin art amazes me to this day.

When they left Batman so did I.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 08-13-12 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 01:40 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've been looking to buy Strange Apparitions but every time I look for a copy the seller wants a ridiculous price for it.
Pick up "Legends of the Dark Knight: Marshall Rogers" instead. It's still in print. You lose out on a Walt Simonson Dr. Phosphorous story from Strange Apparitions, but the Legends volume has a couple of odds-and-ends stories that Rogers did with Bob Rozakis and Denny O'Neill, as well as the sequel to Strange Apparitions that Englehart and Rogers did shortly before Rogers died.
Old 08-14-12, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,053 Likes on 867 Posts

A few years ago, I decided Alan Brennert could do no wrong with Batman. Apparently he didn't write all that many Bat stories, but I still remember "To Kill a Legend," in which the Phantom Stranger gives Batman a chance to save his parents:

Looking up that one also directed me to Brennert's "Interlude on Earth Two," which I remember from the panels I found, but I bet I haven't read it since floppy days. Would love to read that one again.

Originally Posted by mrhan
Yeah not obsecure. You gotta seek out books like this. There's a lot of it if your willing to look for it.
I first read that story in a Blue Ribbon Digest!

Old 08-14-12, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
A few years ago, I decided Alan Brennert could do no wrong with Batman. Apparently he didn't write all that many Bat stories, but I still remember "To Kill a Legend," in which the Phantom Stranger gives Batman a chance to save his parents:
"To Kill A Legend" was reprinted in the 1980s "The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told" trade paperback. Since I was born in 1979 and didn't get into comics until after COIE had happened, that was my first exposure to the DC multiverse.
Old 08-14-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"To Kill A Legend" is certainly a great read.
Old 08-14-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 212 Posts

That specific Dark City comic was one of the first ones I owned...and I was about 4 or 5 years old at the time. Let's just say that I was a little freaked out when Batman opened up a baby's throat to remove a ping pong ball that the Riddler placed there.

Of course I was confused at the time, and thought Batman was just slitting the baby's throat randomly. Not the Batman I expected!
Old 08-15-12, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, i was expecting them to be expensive or at least tough to track down. for the ones youve read, do you agree with the author that they are underrated?