Comic book fan? SANDMAN returns!

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 160 pg graphic novel by Neil Gaiman is coming September 17.

personally, that's cool news to me.

http://www.slushfactory.com/content/...AFfbAhWijN.php
Old 06-14-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's cool, although I don't dig graphic novels much. They never seem to really factor into the continuity of the characters. They seem to be more alternate universe, one-shot vehicles. Maybe with Gaiman, it'll be something more.
Old 06-14-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, I had this to say about Gaiman and Sandman in another thread, but it didn't get a response. Maybe Sandman fans will dig it.

I was hooked on Gaiman since Sandman #1. I was working for a comic store at the time, one which the owner was rather an uptight Christian type who didn't care for the reality of his customer base. Forget that the majority of or customers were between 18 and 27 year old males, he had it in his head that we should gear the store to kids, since, you know, it's kids that read comics........

I'll let you think about that philosophy for just a sec... coming to a conclusion like that, in light of facts that prove otherwise.

So, when Sandman comes out, each major store got maybe ten copies each, the rest, if they were lucky, 3. I took a copy home the night we got it. The next day, I pushed every copy on our regular readers with the promise that if they didn't dig it, I'd refund their money and give 'em a free current comic of their choice. Nobody returned it. So I pestered the owner to get more, and it was then I found out he just wasn't behind the book at all. But the damage had been done. The regulars wanted their copies every month, and of course, as we all know, readership went up across the nation for the book anyway. There was no stopping Sandman, to the store owners utter dismay. Still, even though the book was a big seller, he still shot himself in the foot, only ordering enough to keep the regular readership off of his back. Seriously, it was ridiculous. We could have ordered 100 copies a month per store, and he only got between 10 and 20 at the most. Crazy.

Anyway, Sandman was a great series, and I was always glad that Neil got to end it on his own terms. I was always waiting for another series by him, but I think I'm more happy that he's succesfully made the jump to writing books.

And for anyone out there who hasn't read Good Omens, get a copy. I promise if you don't like it, I'll... hey wait a minute, I'm no comic book retailer anymore! No, I won't reimburse you this time, but I do think you'll dig it. Its a damned fun read (pun intended).
Even with my prejudice against graphic novels, it is way cool to have Gaiman back for more in the realm.
Old 06-15-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Holy schamoley! I had no idea something like this was coming out. 160 pages? It's funny as I was going thru what's left of my comic collection the other night. It seems that when Vertigo was publishing SANDMAN that was their own little Golden Age of Comics. I remember enjoying SHADE, loving the hell out of THE INVISIBLES, and all those cool little mini-series like SEBASTIAN O, and weird little one-shots like KILL YOUR BOYFRIEND and THE EATERS. If I remember it correctly, it was around the time SANDMAN ended that Vertigo started circling the drain. SHADE was finished, Morrison started the second volume of THE INVISIBLES which I thought was embarrassing compaired to the sophistication of the first 25. I went from having one or two new comics to read every week, to nothing.
With the exception of SANDMAN, I no longer have any of these comics. Hundreds of them, handed over to a friend to look after while I went away to Germany, never to be seen again. Maybe that's okay. Maybe if I was to re-read them now they would be nothing like I remember, and I would feel ashamed at ever having waited anxiously each month for another helping of swell. Maybe it's better to remember my long lost comics with enthusiasm and admiration.
Old 06-15-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Giantrobo <-- Loves Sandman
Old 06-16-03, 01:23 PM
Banned

Any Sandman fan should have Hy Bender's "The Sandman Companion" next to them when they re-read this classic series. The insight in that book is just amazing.

Like Mutley, I worked at a comic shop also. I wasn't into Sandman until issue 40, but when I got hooked, there was no stopping me. I pushed the series on everyone that came in. My most successful method was showing them the "I am" competition between Dream and Chronazon.

My high point in selling was when a guy from the local radio station came in to sell us commercial time. He asked me what things I liked to read, and of course I break out Sandman. He bought the entire run (the series was on 55 or so at the time) and became a regular customer.
Old 06-16-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for Sandman
Old 06-16-03, 07:54 PM
Suspended pending valid e-mail address

amazon has this title with 30% off and can use share the love.

If anybody decides to get it, shoot me some love [email protected]
Old 06-16-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JestersTear
I worked at a comic shop also.
Good to see a fellow veteran comic pusher.
Old 06-16-03, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Good to see a fellow veteran comic pusher.
(old man voice)

Those were da days! :-)

I pushed comics and opened up cards and made sets... at the height of the non-sport card boom. Let me tell you, nothing gives you nightmares like having to open up and sort an entire case of Marvel series 3. Let's see, 15 cards per pack, 36 packs per box, 20 boxes per case....

Excuse me, I think I have to take my medication, the flashbacks are starting again.
Old 06-17-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet. I can't wait.
Old 06-17-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't wait for more Sandman.
I have enjoyed everything I've read of Gaimen's.
Old 06-17-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by JestersTear
Any Sandman fan should have Hy Bender's "The Sandman Companion" next to them when they re-read this classic series. The insight in that book is just amazing.
I'm rereading the series right now and reading Bender's book a the same time. I just finished book four.
Old 07-22-13, 12:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Comic book fan? SANDMAN returns!

So the shops are giving out a little Vertigo freebie called Defy, and I noticed that Gaiman is going to be doing a Sandman overture. I know I've been mainly out of comics for years, but this is big news, no?
Old 07-22-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
So the shops are giving out a little Vertigo freebie called Defy, and I noticed that Gaiman is going to be doing a Sandman overture. I know I've been mainly out of comics for years, but this is big news, no?
Yeah, Gaiman has been talking about doing a Sandman prequel since the series ended in the 90s. It almost happened in 2008/2009 for the twentieth anniversary of the series, but it didn't happen because Gaiman and DC couldn't come to an agreement.

Looks like DC gave in to Gaiman's demands and this was announced either last year or earlier this year. The title, "Overture," just came out last week for Comicon.

Hopefully he'll do those other "Endless" miniseries next. (I can vaguely recall that, after Sandman ended, Gaiman mentioned something about doing a miniseries for each of the Endless characters. Jill Thompson was mentioned for a Delirium series specifically.)
Old 07-22-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and by the way, here are what look like the first five (unlettered) pages of the new series:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/07/20/...man-comic-con/
Old 07-22-13, 04:24 PM

^ Thanks! That got me excited to re-read Sandman again. Aargh, too many books not enough free time.
Old 07-22-13, 08:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those pages. Holy fuck. I filled the cup.
Old 07-22-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy shit. Me too! Looks amazing.
Old 07-22-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wow, that is so great. Thanks Josh-da-man
Old 07-22-13, 10:23 PM
Banned by request

By the way, Gaiman's new novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, is excellent.
Old 10-30-13, 07:57 PM
Banned by request

The first issue came out today. My LCBS has a copy for me on hold, but I won't be able to get it until tomorrow. Anyone else pick it up?
Old 10-30-13, 08:32 PM

It's waiting at my LCBS too. Probably tomorrow....
Old 10-30-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I read it.

It's really good, but not a whole lot happens in it. Which, I suppose makes it typical Sandman. JHW3's art is great; almost has a David Mack/Kabuki quality to it with some different layouts.

The story brings up some things about the nature of the Endless that I've been wondering about for a while...

Spoiler:
In the opening scene of the story, we see an alien Dream die. It appears that each planet (or Solar System?) has its own Dream. Later in the story, Death ("our" Death) mentions collecting an alien Dream. Is there then only one Death, while there are multiples of other Endless?)
Old 10-30-13, 08:54 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

A question for those who have read it: is this the New 52 Sandman? I'm not sure I want to get this if Jim Lee hasn't redesigned the costume.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.