Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Old 07-22-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Ugh. I'm trying to curb my spending a bit this summer, but that DC sale was just too enticing. Picked up the following:

New Teen Titans (80's Wolfman/Perez) vols. 1-4
Neal Adams Batman vols. 1-2
LOSH: Great Darkness Saga
Batman (Snyder/Cupullo New 52) vols. 2-3
Fables vol.22

My wallet really needs DC to go the Marvel Unlimited route. I spent more on the above than I do on an entire year of MU. As someone who just wants to read a lot of the old classics, but isn't interested in amassing a giant physical collection, a DC subscription service would save me a ton of money.
Old 07-23-16, 06:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wish Boom and Valiant would have had line wide sales.
Old 07-24-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

The buck-an-issue price point is a big problem for me. I got all the silver Age Legion I could find, plus Earthwar and the Great Darkness and The Curse collections. I also bit on the first six issues of the 1989 series because I read 7-13 in trade form and liked it. Also WW War of the Gods, Silver Age JLA and a few other singles that were really big issues for 99 cents.

I'm not sure whether to risk looking at the DH sale.
Old 07-24-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Isn't the Black Friday annual dark horse sale the best anyway?
Old 07-24-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No idea, as I'm still new to this digital stuff. . It's better than a buck an issue?

The trick for me is to figure out singles versus collections, not just for pricing but for cataloging.
Old 07-24-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The Dark Horse deal used to be better when they had an extra 10% off code, and the sale covered collections as well.

Last year I didn't buy anything.
Old 07-24-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Oh that could be it, honestly I bought so much via bundles in their sales a couple of years ago (before they lost Star Wars) that I've kinda skipped the subsequent sales since.
Old 07-24-16, 04:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Dark Horse didn't have their usual sale last Black Friday. For years, I stocked up on their stuff then. Already discounted bundles, then 50% off, then another 10% off. i think it was around 50 cent singles in many cases.

Alas, maybe those days are over, as they seem to be embracing Comixology more then their own site.
Old 07-25-16, 09:09 AM

Here's a great way to use some of our free shipping credit from Amazon. Matt Fraction's Casanova is on sale at Amazon, but Comixology compliant, for just 99 cents a volume.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks to Andanzas at MobileRead.

Last edited by Trevor; 07-25-16 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-25-16, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
The buck-an-issue price point is a big problem for me. I got all the silver Age Legion I could find, plus Earthwar and the Great Darkness and The Curse collections. I also bit on the first six issues of the 1989 series because I read 7-13 in trade form and liked it. Also WW War of the Gods, Silver Age JLA and a few other singles that were really big issues for 99 cents.
Wasn't it just a bit ago that you were only buying the freebies and not fully embracing digital? You're stuck now!

Your Legion talk convinced me to take the plunge. I've always enjoyed Legion stories, but never fully committed to the title. I think my small run of the title in the late 70s was sold in one one of the two worst days of my life. The two times I sold the bulk of my collection to get money for computers.

So now I own that full run from when Suberboy left to the end of that title. If I love that I imagine I'll get some of the later runs next sale.
Old 07-25-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Here's a great way to use some of our free shipping credit from Amazon. Matt Fraction's Casanova is on sale at Amazon, but Comixology compliant, for just 99 cents a volume.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks to Andanzas at MobileRead.
Awesome, thanks! I was considering buying Vol. 2-3 on Comixology for $5 each, but this is so much better. For $1, I may buy vol. 1 and get rid of my physical copy.
Old 07-26-16, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wasn't it just a bit ago that you were only buying the freebies and not fully embracing digital? You're stuck now!
Indeed! The tipping point--as I always knew it would be--was getting the ipad, as I never liked the experience of reading on computer or phone. It's just way too convenient considering the bulk of my reading takes place on vacation. I packed a few physical books quickly on Friday night before leaving, bought a ton in the DC BOGO on Saturday night, then arrived Sunday night after the sale had expired so I was really glad I had already bought the bulk of what I wanted. Then I can download whatever I want. Too easy.

Your Legion talk convinced me to take the plunge. I've always enjoyed Legion stories, but never fully committed to the title. I think my small run of the title in the late 70s was sold in one one of the two worst days of my life. The two times I sold the bulk of my collection to get money for computers.

So now I own that full run from when Suberboy left to the end of that title. If I love that I imagine I'll get some of the later runs next sale.
I was a big fan in the '80s of both classic and current, but the title got pretty bad between Earthwar and the Levitz-Giffen run. I revisited a few issues last year when I discovered them in the second Ditko omnibus, and they hadn't improved. So then I got out of comics for years and came back to find the title having been rebooted a jillion times. I did read a number of TPBs, all seemingly part of a different reboot, but I enjoyed them all. This will give me a chance to catch up even more.

Still, it's a little frustrating because it appears that some of the Adventure issues are missing. The big ones are there, but I think I got only about 40, and my DC Archive collection would seem to imply there's more than that. (The selection was even worse on Amazon.) I'm not totally sure about this, but I may have some work to do in the next BOGO sale.
Old 07-26-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My haul from the Image sale....

The Fade Out
God Hates Astronauts
Plutona
Rumble
Wytches
Old 07-26-16, 09:05 AM

I can't seem to get the usual trick of using the "expired" Dcbogo code to bring down higher priced books this time.
Old 07-26-16, 11:05 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I can't seem to get the usual trick of using the "expired" Dcbogo code to bring down higher priced books this time.
I noticed the same, it treats sale books as $0.99 items (by their selling price, not by initial price) so when you add a higher priced issue to the cart then the first one is full price then it progressively discounts the next equal value or cheapest item.

I ended up just buying the $0.99 sale items I didn't own at BOGO, $0.99/2 issues, so while not as epic as it could have been still not a bad deal.

The coupon glitch will probably end up being fixed before we know it.
After the last Marvel BOGO coupon there was a Star Wars collection sale that ended up netting me $29.99 books at $4.99 for 2; that was an 'epic' deal.
Old 07-26-16, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I noticed the same, it treats sale books as $0.99 items (by their selling price, not by initial price) so when you add a higher priced issue to the cart then the first one is full price then it progressively discounts the next equal value or cheapest item.

I ended up just buying the $0.99 sale items I didn't own at BOGO, $0.99/2 issues, so while not as epic as it could have been still not a bad deal.

The coupon glitch will probably end up being fixed before we know it.
After the last Marvel BOGO coupon there was a Star Wars collection sale that ended up netting me $29.99 books at $4.99 for 2; that was an 'epic' deal.
I am able to get a $3.99 book for free (paired with a $.99 sale item) when I add certain combinations of higher priced collections. But I pretty much already bought every collection I "need" and the remaining ones are just "wants".

I'll probably just follow your lead and load up in $.99 items.
Old 07-28-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

An X-Men collections sale:
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=12375&lang=1

Batgirl, Black Canary, Birds of Prey and Red Hood sale
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=12319&lang=1

All-New Ghost Rider sale:
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=12374&lang=1

Sonic the Hedgehog
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=12391&lang=1
Old 07-28-16, 06:13 PM

If anyone is interested in Warcraft, issues 3 and 4 are free. I'm not sure if 1 and 2 still are.
Old 07-28-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's where I get confused:

-Machine Man TPB released this week at $40, or $20 at IST. It's $25 at comixology, or 19 main issues (plus a few peripherals) for $1.99 each. This is not a huge title for me but something I remember reading and wanted to revisit. Seems like digital would be a good choice for the convenience. I'm not sure if stuff like this ever goes on sale but I would be OK waiting.

-Chilling Adventures of Sabrina TPB 1 released this week at $18, or $12.59 at IST. It's also $18 at comixology, or five issues for $3.99 each. I think slim TPBs like this would be great to switch to digital, but $3.99 singles seem too rich for me. They're almost that price even in that collection at full price. So TPB might be the way to go unless these singles go on sale.
Old 07-28-16, 08:41 PM

-Machine Man TPB released this week at $40, or $20 at IST. It's $25 at comixology, or 19 main issues (plus a few peripherals) for $1.99 each. This is not a huge title for me but something I remember reading and wanted to revisit. Seems like digital would be a good choice for the convenience. I'm not sure if stuff like this ever goes on sale but I would be OK waiting.
If you 'can' wait then Marvel will likely have a linewide 'buy one get one free' sale within the next 6 months.

Marvel has frequent enough 'collection' sales it's reasonable to think there will be a deal in the future. Marvel's digital catalogue has so many holes I suspect they are adding titles based on movie/tv tie-ins, and that stuff is especially likely to have a sale (for example nearly every collection but Machine Man has been Spider-man relately likely to prep for the upcoming movie) so maybe MM will end up in a episode of SHIELD or something (?).
Old 07-28-16, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

-Chilling Adventures of Sabrina TPB 1 released this week at $18, or $12.59 at IST. It's also $18 at comixology, or five issues for $3.99 each. I think slim TPBs like this would be great to switch to digital, but $3.99 singles seem too rich for me. They're almost that price even in that collection at full price. So TPB might be the way to go unless these singles go on sale.
Close to release, most publishers posts digital copies at cover price to keep brick and mortar stores from revolting.
Old 07-29-16, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess the way I'll probably end up going is waiting for digital sales but getting the physical books I really want on release week from IST. Machine Man is not a huge priority so I'll probably wait, and even if I decide to buy it later, it'd probably be an additional 5-8%, so not a big deal.

A Marvel linewide sale could be just as bad for me as the DC one was.

I'll probably keep getting TWD and Invincible in TPB, though it is tempting to switch to digital and not wait for the TPB release. I feel like I've been waiting for Sabrina for a long time, but it won't kill me to wait a little longer for a sale.
Old 07-29-16, 08:03 AM

If you're ok with waiting, there is no reason to ever pay more than $1 an issue on digital.

Between Comixology and Dark Horse and Humble, I own pretty much everything, and I've never paid more than $1 an issue (well, maybe $5 for a 4 issue collection or similar).
Old 07-29-16, 09:51 PM

Marvel has a new 'loyalty program' that offers 'points' for digital purchases, etc but you have to opt in on Marvel.com; it's not clear to me if it counts only Marvel digital storefront purchases or also those from Comixology. So far the 'rewards' seem lukewarm (free digital first issues, Marvel Unlimited subscription time for crazy points) but if you're apt to be making purchases anyway it might eventually count for something.

Edit: Digital comic purchase credit appears to only apply through Marvel website (not Comixology), +500 points per purchase limited to once weekly. Better rewards for redeeming print codes +200 limited to 10x per week.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-01-16 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-30-16, 05:51 PM

Good Valiant collections sale. I think Valiant is really under appreciated. They have a nice tight little universe and some really great writers telling good stories over there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.