Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC to publish Watchmen prequel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DC to publish Watchmen prequel?

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Yeah, that's why Moby Dick isn't considered a classic, because Melville hadn't written a prequel detailing Ahab losing his leg.
And The Wizard of Oz, Alice In Wonderland, and Peter Pan are because someone wrote a graphic novel about all the ladies banging a bunch of dudes. Or are those not proper examples since Moore wrote it?

Well over half of his career is based on using other people's properties/ideas and tweaking or distorting it. Yet he feels anyone that touches anything he ever had a hand in is "creatively bankrupt."
Old 02-02-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
And The Wizard of Oz, Alice In Wonderland, and Peter Pan are because someone wrote a graphic novel about all the ladies banging a bunch of dudes. Or are those not proper examples since Moore wrote it?

Well over half of his career is based on using other people's properties/ideas and tweaking or distorting it. Yet he feels anyone that touches anything he ever had a hand in is "creatively bankrupt."
I read that in the DC press release and it made me chuckle. I long ago realized that Moore should be the last one casting stones.

This does make me wonder when DC says "screw it" and relaunches Sandman without Neil Gaiman.
Old 02-02-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Yeah, that's why Moby Dick isn't considered a classic, because Melville hadn't written a prequel detailing Ahab losing his leg.
I've already admitted Watchmen did a great job of doing what it did, and if no prequels or sequels were ever made, that would be just fine.

But if you want to point out a weakness, I'd say that's it: that the characters came out of nowhere. We were introduced to them in the same text as we get their "histories". That's why I don't have a problem with this new project. I wasn't demanding it happen, but now that it is, I can see why there are folks that would want to see it happen.
Old 02-02-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've already admitted Watchmen did a great job of doing what it did, and if no prequels or sequels were ever made, that would be just fine.

But if you want to point out a weakness, I'd say that's it: that the characters came out of nowhere. We were introduced to them in the same text as we get their "histories". That's why I don't have a problem with this new project. I wasn't demanding it happen, but now that it is, I can see why there are folks that would want to see it happen.
Right, $$$.
Old 02-02-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Right, $$$.
It's almost like they're a business or something.
Old 02-02-12, 04:11 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Within the text, yes, but we the readers didn't have detailed histories of reading about them for years before we got the big "ending" story.
Is a six-issue mini really going to make you understand more about Rorschach than you already do having read Watchmen # 6? What kind of insight into Dr. Manhattan do you think you'll get from J. Michael Straczynski that you didn't already have from Watchmen # 4?

I guess I get the idea that some people find these characters so compelling that they want more Nite Owl stories and more Ozymandias stories. Why not -- in principle, there's no difference between that and more Spider-Man stories or more Batman stories, and I certainly have no problem with that. But for me, Watchmen was a cohesive story with a begining, middle, and end, and I don't think revisiting the characters will do anything to improve the 12 issues that Moore and Gibbons created.
Old 02-02-12, 04:23 PM
Suspended

I agree that Moore has little to no moral high ground to the extent his position is "Don't touch other people's characters!"

However, I would argue that in every instance I can think of where Moore appropriates someone else's characters, he recontextualizes and transforms them in a way that serves as a commentary and exploration of the original context. He's not just churning out Dracula II: Mina takes Manhattan. He's using Mina to say something about the nature of fiction and stories and the Victorian times in which Dracula was written.

Now, it's entirely possible that the Watchmen prequels will do something similraly transformative and insightful. I am highly skeptical based on the track record of the creators and the nature of this project, but maybe they'll prove me wrong. However, to the extent they don't, then we really are getting Watchmen II: Ozy takes Omaha, and what's the point of that?
Old 02-02-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Before Watchmen’s Straczynski addresses Babylon 5 comparisons

Addressing one of the more frequent reactions to his involvement in DC Comics’ newly announced Before Watchmen project, J. Michael Straczynski has tackled the question, “How would you feel if Babylon 5 was being done without your permission?” His answer is, well, a little complicated.

The writer, who’s penning Dr. Manhattan and Nite Owl for the sprawling prequel to the acclaimed 1986 miniseries by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, drew some criticism yesterday when he told Comic Book Resources, “A lot of folks feel that these characters shouldn’t be touched by anyone other than Alan, and while that’s absolutely understandable on an emotional level, it’s deeply flawed on a logical level. Based on durability and recognition, one could make the argument that Superman is the greatest comics character ever created. But neither Alan nor anyone else has ever suggested that no one other than Shuster and Siegel should ever be allowed to write Superman. Alan didn’t pass on being brought on to write Swamp Thing, a seminal comics character created by Len Wein, and he did a terrific job. He didn’t say ‘No, no, I can’t, that’s Len’s character.’ Nor should he have.”

That of course led more than a few people to ask how Straczynski, who created the 1990s space opera Babylon 5, would feel if someone else were to develop a sequel, or prequel — “Babylon 4″? — to the television series (a revival has been long hoped for by fans, but the writer denied rumors as recently as August that he’s in negotiations with Warner Bros.). To answer the question, which he characterizes as “How would you feel if Babylon 5 was being done without your permission?,” Straczynski took to his Facebook page last night, writing, “It’s a fair question, and it needs to be fairly answered … but it has to be an honest comparison, apples to apples, not apples to pomegranates.”

“First, we have to take the word ‘permission’ off the table. Warner Bros. owns Babylon 5 lock, stock and phased-plasma guns, just as DC owns the Watchmen characters. [...] But I get that we’re talking about the emotional aspect of all this, not the legal stuff, which is pretty cut and dry,” he wrote. “So again: apples to apples. How would I feel if Babylon 5 were being made and I were shut out of anything to do with it, despite my desire to be involved? I’d feel pretty crummy about it. But as it happens, that has absolutely nothing to do with this situation in any way, manner, shape or form.”

Referring to repeated unsuccessful attempts by DC to convince Moore to revisit Watchmen — the most recent was in 2010, when the publisher offered to relinquish the rights to the comic if the writer “would agree to some dopey prequels and sequels” — Straczynski said, “He declined at every point. Fair enough. It’s his choice, and it’s his right to make it.”

“So now – apples to apples – let’s make the B5 comparison,” he continued. “Let’s say Warner Bros. came to me and said, ‘we want to do more Babylon 5, and we want you to run the whole thing. We’ll pay you anything you want, give you a proper budget, and you will have complete creative freedom.’ [...] So let’s say that Warners makes that offer, and I said, ‘No, I don’t want it, take your accursed money, your big budget and your complete creative freedom and begone, get thee behind me Satan!’ Let’s say they came back and said ‘Okay, then how about we pay you vast sums of money just to consult? How about that?’ [...] ‘What if we sweeten the deal? What if we offer to give you full ownership of Babylon 5, legally and contractually, so you own it? How about that?’

“If Warners offered me creative freedom, money and a budget to do the show the way I wanted, up to and including my completely owning the show, and I said no to that deal, and if after Warners waited TWENTY FIVE YEARS for me to change my mind they finally decided to go ahead and make B5 without me … then I would have absolutely zero right to complain about it,” Straczynski wrote. “Because it was my choice to remove myself from the process, it wasn’t something foisted upon me by anybody else.”

He went on to address other related topics, such as the supposed “sacredness” and one-off nature of the characters, before concluding this morning in a separate post that, “At this point, quite honestly the work needs to stand on its own. So with equal appreciation for both the kind words and the hard questions, and having said pretty much everything I can think of to say on the subject, I think it’s appropriate for me to recede a bit now into the shadows. As the books come out I hope that everyone who spoke out here, pro and con, will reconvene to continue the conversation and express their thoughts with the same clarity and precision they have demonstrated today.”
Old 02-02-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
This does make me wonder when DC says "screw it" and relaunches Sandman without Neil Gaiman.
Gaiman keeps revisiting Sandman often enough to keep DC happy, and they've already done several spin-offs from that series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_San...tigo)#Spinoffs

But if you want to point out a weakness, I'd say that's it: that the characters came out of nowhere. We were introduced to them in the same text as we get their "histories".
That's true of most novels though. Hell, it's true of many movies as well.

The problem with the idea of there having been stories before Watchmen was released is that Moore provided a view of superheroes radically different than what was standard at the time. Nobody at DC would've approved of a Rorschach comic book series, it was too much.

Moore actually originally wanted to use the Mighty Crusaders as the characters for his story, but DC didn't want him messing up those characters so much. That's the problem with established properties: there's concern with what you do with them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchme...d_and_creation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Crusaders
Old 02-02-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gaiman keeps revisiting Sandman often enough to keep DC happy, and they've already done several spin-offs from that series.
[/url]
Sure Gaiman is a different bird all together, but his is the only other work I can equate with Moore's. Even thought there's a ton of Sandman compared to Watchmen.

You and I both know however that the day will come when Gaiman doesn't want to do it anymore, or dies, or something, and DC get someone else to write the character. It's just a matter of time.

I don't know if I can blame DC. They're a business. This is America. Why would you just retire a concept like the Watchmen when there's money to be made?
Old 02-02-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Before Watchmen’s Straczynski addresses Babylon 5 comparisons
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...5-comparisons/
I think Straczynski missed a very important distinction between Babylon 5 and Watchmen, namely that Moore wrote the series expecting the rights to revert back to him.

Straczynski sold Babylon 5 to WB knowing that the story, characters, and setting would be the exclusive domain of WB to use in perpetuity (at least until the copyright expires). Meanwhile, Moore had a reversion clause with DC, fully expecting to get the rights back once the series went out of print. Except, it never did. From Moore's point of view, DC screwed him over, and now they're doing something that they shouldn't have the right to do, and never would have under normal circumstances. Moore got screwed over by Watchmen being too good and too popular.

So when DC offered the rights back to Moore in exchange for prequel and sequel books, it was essentially blackmailing Moore with something that Moore felt should be his anyway. It's not that Moore doesn't want to work on Watchmen, it's that he doesn't want to deal with DC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchme...rship_disputes
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/...moore-watchmen

There's also something to be said for the idea of a work standing on its own and not being continued. Straczynski seems to start with the conceit that any continuation of any series is a good thing, and as creator your only choices should be to be involved or step aside. He doesn't seem to consider the possibility that a creator would not want a particular story continued in any way, shape, or form.
Old 02-02-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
You and I both know however that the day will come when Gaiman doesn't want to do it anymore, or dies, or something, and DC get someone else to write the character. It's just a matter of time.
Another thing to consider is that Gaiman actually adapted a previous DC property for The Sandman, and even used DC characters from other series in his work. He was actively working in someone else's IP, and he knew it from day one. Destiny, one of the Endless, was a creation of another DC writer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_(DC_Comics)

You don't see Moore complaining about the continuation of Swamp Thing, or even the spin-offs featuring characters he created for Swamp Thing such as Constantine. He went into that series knowing that he was working with a previously established DC property, and that the property would be continued and expanded upon after he left it.

With Watchmen, the problem seems to be that Moore views it as an original work that was supposed to revert back to him and his creative partner. It's more to do with DC honoring the "letter of the law" in regards to his contract with them instead of the spirit of the contract.

Gaiman appears more easygoing with adaptations and extensions of his work too. He's been involved with film adaptations of his works, in that he visits the sets and such, but is notably hands-off in the creative process for many of them, typically letting them do what they want/need to do to make it a film.

Also, as noted before, The Sandman has already had a fair share of spin-offs, if not outright sequels. Neil even edited a collection of Sandman short stories written by other people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_San...Book_of_Dreams

The solo series Lucifer, written by Mike Cary based on The Sandman version of the character, lasted for 75 issues, as long as The Sandman itself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer...s)#Solo_series
Old 02-02-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's almost like they're a business or something.
Oh, I'm not arguing their right to make money or even to do a Watchmen prequel, but let's be honest about the motivation here.

It's the nature of the beast in American comics, though. Besides the creator-owned movement, it's all work for hire, and as a result you get these never-ending superhero serials and stories that are retconned out of existence once a new writer comes along with a different idea of what the core of a character is.

I'm surprised JMS is still a draw over at DC, though... I thought his Superman run was pretty reviled, and I don't think his WW run did any better. You could argue that he, along with Robinson on JLA and a few others, put DC in a position where they had to reboot.

We'll see, maybe this series of miniseries will be revolutionary and blow us all away, maybe not.
Old 02-02-12, 07:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you who are familiar with pro wrestling, there's a common conception that "Vince [McMahon] screwed Bret [Hart]" over the ending of Survivor Series 1997. But Vince's retort is that "Bret screwed Bret."

While the contractual situation between Bret and Vince isn't the same as between Moore and DC, the latter part still applies. Moore screwed Moore, not DC.

Moore and Gibbons didn't want the standard work for hire contract. They wanted to own Watchmen. DC says okay and pulls a standard publishing contract, likely from Warner's book division, which was almost unheard of for comics at that time.

Moore and Gibbons want the reversion clause to stay in there because they figured it'd benefit them and circumvent the work for hire situation they were trying to avoid.

Little did they know, Watchmen became a smash hit. DC had no reason to stop printing it since they were essentially printing money. Therefore the reversion clause never went into affect.

Moore and Gibbons didn't count on Watchmen being extremely successful. If it had run of the mill commercial success, the rights probably would have reverted back to them. But it didn't, all thanks to a device Moore and Gibbons wanted in the contract. So in effect, Moore screwed Moore. He didn't anticipate his own success.

DC is totally in the right as far as this goes legally and as a business decision. Ethically, should they have respected Moore's decision to have this be a closed story now? Well, they respected it for 25 years or whatever by not touching the property other than reprinting it (I believe Moore signed away the movie rights a long long time ago). I think they've generally stayed away from Watchmen merchandise too after Moore made a stink about it. But while Watchmen was being published in single issues, before it was completely written, Moore approved a few spin off RPG games, so even at the beginning it wasn't exactly an open-shut story or a Moore only tale. And now that he hates DC with a passion, of course he doesn't want people to continue to expand upon his works.

But that's just the nature of the of the industry.

And asking if Brian or Neil's work will be expanded upon or continued upon without their consent or input, I guess that all depends on how they've structured their contracts for publishing. If they don't want that, hopefully they didn't gamble against themselves the way Moore and Gibbons did. Otherwise, you can't really complain. Moore and Gibbons get just 8% of Watchmen profits and that's made them both very wealthy, in their own words.

The way I see it, Moore gambled against himself, has been handsomely compensated for it, and is only whining because he hates DC even though he's off making more money off other people's creations.

If you don't like the idea of Before Watchmen, no one is forcing anyone else to read it. Just ignore it and vote with your dollar. That's the best way to get DC to stop practices like this if they're so abhorred. But I suspect these things will sell great.
Old 02-02-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe they also offered to give him the rights back a few years ago when a sequel was being discussed, and he refused, because he felt they owed him that without him having to jump through hoops.

The main problem I have with it is not that they're screwing him over or anything, but that it won't really add anything to the story. I'll give them this, they've lined up some great creators for this, so we'll see.
Old 02-02-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
However, I would argue that in every instance I can think of where Moore appropriates someone else's characters, he recontextualizes and transforms them in a way that serves as a commentary and exploration of the original context. He's not just churning out Dracula II: Mina takes Manhattan. He's using Mina to say something about the nature of fiction and stories and the Victorian times in which Dracula was written.
I felt the same way when Dorothy Gale was masturbating a horse while being anally penetrated by a farmhand in "Lost Girls."
Old 02-02-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kodave
Moore and Gibbons didn't want the standard work for hire contract. They wanted to own Watchmen. DC says okay and pulls a standard publishing contract, likely from Warner's book division, which was almost unheard of for comics at that time.
A standard book publishing agreement doesn't include rights for the publisher to use the characters and story in other stories. All it gives them is the right to publish that one book. It may have given them movie rights though, if Moore and Gibson hadn't negotiated to keep those:
http://www.tarakharper.com/faq_ctrc.htm
http://www.publishlawyer.com/trouble.htm

It sounds more like DC took the standard work-for-hire contract and added a reversion clause. As long as DC prints the book, they effectively own it.

Moore and Gibbons didn't count on Watchmen being extremely successful... So in effect, Moore screwed Moore. He didn't anticipate his own success.
It should be pointed out that prior to Watchmen, no comic book stayed in print for long, and certainly not perpetually for decades on end. So it wasn't a case of Moore and Gibbons not thinking the book would be successful, but that they didn't anticipate it to be more successful than any other comic up to that point. So it's hard to blame Moore for not seeing that.

It's also hard to tell if there was any point where the sales dipped low enough that DC normally would've stopped printing the book, but kept it in print in order to retain rights. It's similar to the Corman Fantastic Four movie, which was made just to retain the movie rights, and was never intended to be released. Major companies will take a loss in the short term if they know it will profit them in the long run.

I think they've generally stayed away from Watchmen merchandise too after Moore made a stink about it. But while Watchmen was being published in single issues, before it was completely written, Moore approved a few spin off RPG games, so even at the beginning it wasn't exactly an open-shut story or a Moore only tale. And now that he hates DC with a passion, of course he doesn't want people to continue to expand upon his works.
I do think that if Moore didn't feel so ripped off by DC, he would've been more open to other contributions, and even may have penned Watchmen related stuff himself. Still, DC has acted like giant dicks in working with Moore.
http://web.archive.org/web/200812161...threadid=34286
Much of the belief that Moore and DC were burying the hatchet came when DC showed a videotape of Moore and Gibbons discussing Watchmen and Moore talking about the ABC line. The tape, according to DC, will be available for retailers to use in their stores to drum up interest in the Watchmen 15th anniversary hardcover. The book will most likely cost in the neighborhood of $100... ultimately, Moore is not happy with his participation in the project.

“They kind of got me to do a video for the San Diego convention which, it turns out, was under false pretenses,” Moore explains. “There were certain issues regarding the ABC books which I was waiting to be resolved, and where I thought I’d made it clear that the way in which they were resolved would have a direct bearing upon how I felt towards DC or towards anything DC proposed. A decision was delayed until after I’d done the video and all the rest of it, which, is about what I’d expect. If that has given a false impression to readers that I was back with DC, I apologize, but I was laboring under a false impression at the time.”
They basically conned him into doing the Watchmen 15th Anniversary video, implying doing so would resolve an issue with another comic, and then after he did the video, didn't give him anything.

Otherwise, you can't really complain. Moore and Gibbons get just 8% of Watchmen profits and that's made them both very wealthy, in their own words.
And if all anyone ever cared about was money, that'd be fine. That said, Moore didn't get any of the profits from the Watchmen movie because he didn't want to be associated with. I'm betting he won't take any money from these prequels either.

And there's this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Mo...3.E2.80.931988
Moore and Gibbons were not paid any royalties for a Watchmen spin-off badge set, as DC defined them as a "promotional item"
Labeling merchandise as a promotional item so they didn't have to pay the creators is a dick move.
Old 02-02-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not exactly.

A few years ago was Sandman's twentieth anniversary, and there were plans for Gaiman to write a new Sandman miniseries, which would serve as a prequel to the old series.

From what I understand, Gaiman tried to use this proposed as leverage to get a better royalty rate on the existing Sandman books. DC wouldn't budge and all we got for the anniversary was a P. Craig Russell adaption of "Dream Hunters."

I also remember, right after Sandman ended, that Gaiman was going to do miniseries for each of the Endless (I recall a Jill Thompson-drawn Delirium being mentioned), but none of these have materialized in the sixteen years since Sandman ended.
Old 02-02-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Kingdom Come: Gets a sequel (only) 3 years later by the writer (but not the artist), which is almost universally forgotten/ignored within a year.
Actually, to be accurate, co-writer. Alex Ross was the creator of the Kingdom Come concept and story, and Waid was brought into assist on the writing duties.
Old 02-02-12, 08:51 PM

A standard book publishing agreement doesn't include rights for the publisher to use the characters and story in other stories. All it gives them is the right to publish that one book. It may have given them movie rights though, if Moore and Gibson hadn't negotiated to keep those:
http://www.tarakharper.com/faq_ctrc.htm
http://www.publishlawyer.com/trouble.htm

It sounds more like DC took the standard work-for-hire contract and added a reversion clause. As long as DC prints the book, they effectively own it.
*sigh* I'm only repeating what Kurt Busiek stated on the CBR forums regarding the type of contract and its origins. If you think Kurt Busiek is wrong and doesn't have the correct inside information, you can go ahead and tell him. And no, DC didn't add the clause, that was what Moore and Gibbons wanted as their work around for the standard work-for-hire, and it backfired on them. That much is well known.

It should be pointed out that prior to Watchmen, no comic book stayed in print for long, and certainly not perpetually for decades on end. So it wasn't a case of Moore and Gibbons not thinking the book would be successful, but that they didn't anticipate it to be more successful than any other comic up to that point. So it's hard to blame Moore for not seeing that.

It's also hard to tell if there was any point where the sales dipped low enough that DC normally would've stopped printing the book, but kept it in print in order to retain rights. It's similar to the Corman Fantastic Four movie, which was made just to retain the movie rights, and was never intended to be released. Major companies will take a loss in the short term if they know it will profit them in the long run.
Whether it was a success, or whether DC would have just crapped out 100 re-prints of it every 12 months, the contract language, from everything that is known, was plain and unambiguous. Whether by success or whether by shady business practices, Moore should have seen this as a possibility, even if unprecedented for the time. He wanted a nearly unprecedented non-work-for-hire contract, he got one, so he should have thought of all of the consequences of that. If he was that concerned with his artistic and literary contributions through this book, he could have pushed for a much more limited contract. But at the time, he was happy with the monetary arrangement he was getting for giving up the rights he gave up. And that's really that as far as I'm concerned.

I do think that if Moore didn't feel so ripped off by DC, he would've been more open to other contributions, and even may have penned Watchmen related stuff himself. Still, DC has acted like giant dicks in working with Moore.
http://web.archive.org/web/200812161...threadid=34286

They basically conned him into doing the Watchmen 15th Anniversary video, implying doing so would resolve an issue with another comic, and then after he did the video, didn't give him anything.

And if all anyone ever cared about was money, that'd be fine. That said, Moore didn't get any of the profits from the Watchmen movie because he didn't want to be associated with. I'm betting he won't take any money from these prequels either.

And there's this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Mo...3.E2.80.931988

Labeling merchandise as a promotional item so they didn't have to pay the creators is a dick move.
No doubt Moore and DC have an extremely rocky and now totally soured relationship. And I'm not denying the DC have acted like dicks to Moore in the past.

But as far as money goes, it's Moore's choice to disassociate himself with his past books/franchises and take no money, or to give the money to other artists and whatnot. As far as Watchmen goes, he got rich off it, so again, he can't really complain just because his contract backfired on him.

And again, according to Kurt Busiek on the CBR forums, the whole "promotional" debacle was done by one guy involving the smiley face Watchmen pin in a set with three other pins. Moore wanted royalties, the guy said it was "promotional" and not merchandise, and the debacle happened. According to Kurt Busiek the guy who pulled that shit was fired not long after. So yes, DC somehow let that guy's decision slip through the cracks and screw up Watchmen merchandising for them and further sour the relationship with Moore. I'm not condoning the fact that DC let this happen, but there is more to it than DC is a big faceless company that's just out to screw Moore. One guy made a decision to screw Moore on the royalties for one Watchmen pin in a set of other non-Watchmen pins, and that guy was fired for it. Moore has been paid his royalties on the other merch, assuming he accepted the payments.
Old 02-02-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A few years ago was Sandman's twentieth anniversary, and there were plans for Gaiman to write a new Sandman miniseries, which would serve as a prequel to the old series.

From what I understand, Gaiman tried to use this proposed as leverage to get a better royalty rate on the existing Sandman books. DC wouldn't budge and all we got for the anniversary was a P. Craig Russell adaption of "Dream Hunters."
You're remembering it wrong. Gaiman didn't want a better rate on the existing books, he wanted a better rate on the 20th Anniversary book:
http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/gaima...versary-issue/
“I wanted to do a 20th-anniversary story, and it broke mostly because DC Comics would have loved me to do a 20th-anniversary story at the same terms that were agreed upon in 1987, when I was a 26-year-old unknown,” Gaiman said to Jam! Showbiz. “And my thought was, ‘You know what, guys, it really doesn’t work like that.’ I wasn’t going to do a deal at the same terms we had in 1987, and they were not willing to do any better than that.”
I also remember, right after Sandman ended, that Gaiman was going to do miniseries for each of the Endless (I recall a Jill Thompson-drawn Delirium being mentioned), but none of these have materialized in the sixteen years since Sandman ended.
He did write Endless Nights for the 10th anniversary, which was a miniseries that had one issue for each of the Endless:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_San...Endless_Nights

Jill Thompson has her own Delirium miniseries out now:
http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/grap...vels/?gn=16718

Last edited by Jay G.; 02-02-12 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-02-12, 08:53 PM
Suspended

I felt the same way when Dorothy Gale was masturbating a horse while being anally penetrated by a farmhand in "Lost Girls."
Lost Girls is porn and it works very well on that level, but it's also an examination of sexuality, particularly female sexuality, in a time of great societal change from an era when sexuality was shameful to an era when it was acknowledged and embraced. There's a reason Moore brings in things like the premiere of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. The outbreak of World War I isn't particularly sexy, but it is very germane to the themes Moore is examining.
Old 02-02-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And no, DC didn't add the clause, that was what Moore and Gibbons wanted as their work around for the standard work-for-hire, and it backfired on them. That much is well known.
I meant DC added the clause at Moore's request. I'm assuming DC's lawyers drafted up the contract here.

Whether it was a success, or whether DC would have just crapped out 100 re-prints of it every 12 months, the contract language, from everything that is known, was plain and unambiguous. Whether by success or whether by shady business practices, Moore should have seen this as a possibility, even if unprecedented for the time.
Yes, Moore should've assumed that this one particular work would somehow turn out different than every other comic book ever, and that DC would act differently from how nearly every other publisher ever has treated a reversion clause.

Moore bargained for what probably anyone at the time would've thought was a fair contract that would result in him getting the rights back in a reasonable amount of time. If, as you assert, DC is completely blameless (and I'm not sure they are), then the blame certainly doesn't belong to Moore and it was just dumb luck. Whatever the truth though, it doesn't change the fact that Moore feels cheated.

As far as Watchmen goes, he got rich off it, so again, he can't really complain just because his contract backfired on him.
You're right, he can't complain, if all he cared about was money. He obviously doesn't care about the money, as evidenced by him rejecting money he has every right to from projects he's in no power to stop. Obviously he's upset about something beyond just how much money he's made.

I'm not condoning the fact that DC let this happen, but there is more to it than DC is a big faceless company that's just out to screw Moore.
I'm sure there's good people at DC. However, DC's dealings with Moore over the years, whether or not the fault of a revolving door of "bad eggs" at the company, have been almost universally bad, so it's not surprising that Moore has developed a negative view of the company.
Old 02-02-12, 09:29 PM

Yes, Moore should've assumed that this one particular work would somehow turn out different than every other comic book ever, and that DC would act differently from how nearly every other publisher ever has treated a reversion clause.

Moore bargained for what probably anyone at the time would've thought was a fair contract that would result in him getting the rights back in a reasonable amount of time. If, as you assert, DC is completely blameless (and I'm not sure they are), then the blame certainly doesn't belong to Moore and it was just dumb luck. Whatever the truth though, it doesn't change the fact that Moore feels cheated.
What Moore feels obviously isn't the reality of the situation and certainly is just as biased as any of DC's actions might have been at the time, over time, and in the present. He can feel cheated all he wants. DC can be "sneaky" all they want by continuing to publish Watchmen. But the bottom line is, that's what the contract permits. Any lawyer could have told Moore that back before he signed on.

You're right, he can't complain, if all he cared about was money. He obviously doesn't care about the money, as evidenced by him rejecting money he has every right to from projects he's in no power to stop. Obviously he's upset about something beyond just how much money he's made.
I'll have to quote myself:

If he was that concerned with his artistic and literary contributions through this book, he could have pushed for a much more limited contract. But at the time, he was happy with the monetary arrangement he was getting for giving up the rights he gave up. And that's really that as far as I'm concerned.
And if DC wouldn't have budged for a more limited contract, maybe he shouldn't have written Watchmen if he cared about his creative contributions so much. Neal Adams was supposed to draw "God Loves, Man Kills" for Marvel but didn't want the work-for-hire contract. A Marvel editor said it would be no problem to get him a different contract. Marvel then sends him a work-for-hire contract. Neal Adams says "No thanks" and doesn't draw it. Marvel finds a new artist. Life goes on. But Moore didn't do that regarding Watchmen. There was no gun to his head to write this for DC.

I'm sure there's good people at DC. However, DC's dealings with Moore over the years, whether or not the fault of a revolving door of "bad eggs" at the company, have been almost universally bad, so it's not surprising that Moore has developed a negative view of the company.
I've already said DC Comics is no saint and their actions aren't excusable as a company even if because of some bad eggs, but at the same time, they're not some monster like Moore wants them to be. DC and Moore just have a terrible relationship that'll never be fixed at this point. DC and hundreds of other creators seem to get along just fine. Certain creators have bad blood with Marvel or DC or even both. Its like that in every industry in every walk of life. Not everything can be sunshine and puppies. Sometimes people just can't get along. DC Comics is too corporate. Moore is too bitter. Its a bridge that'll never be repaired. I'm sure if DC gave Watchmen back to Moore and Gibbons right now, free and clear, Moore would still hate them. So what's the point? Moore can keep living his life bitter, and DC can keep making money, and that'll be that.
Old 02-02-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're remembering it wrong. Gaiman didn't want a better rate on the existing books, he wanted a better rate on the 20th Anniversary book:
http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/gaima...versary-issue/
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=20882

Also in "Prince Of Stories" is mention of the 20th Anniversary Sandman project that never was. First brought to light by LITG, Gaiman gives a lot more details on what it was and why he never reached agreement with DC.

The six issue mini-series would have been a prequel to the Sandman series, centred around exactly what Morpheus was doing and how he came to be captured for half a century, as detailed in the first issue of the fantasy comic series.

It didn't happen because DC wouldn't agree to pay Neil Gaiman something comparable to what he might get for the same amount of time working on a novel. Gaiman stated, "I get a fifteen percent royalty and an incredibly healthy advance, I did ‘Sandman: Endless Nights’ as my charity project; ‘Sandman: Endless Nights’ was a favor to Karen [Berger], it was done at the four percent royalty I've had since the beginning, for a twenty-thousand-dollar advance, and I found the time, I fitted it in and I just did it. It got them onto the New York Times bestseller list for the first time ever."

With more time pressure this time, and the realization that Vertigo couldn't pay a million dollar advance, he suggested that DC instead up his royalty rate on the entire Sandman line by another two percent. Which, over sixteen years, would have made Neil the same amount as what a novel would have. DC offered that increased royalty rate over eighteen months. Neil refused to drop his request. DC declined the project on those terms.

Neil also points out that he makes more from a sale of a hardcover $20 copy of a novel such as "Anansi Boys" that on each sale of the $100 "Absolute Sandman" volumes. So instead of writing a Sandman six issue series, he wrote a new novel instead. Which he owns completely.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.