Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

The glowing red eyes, the tech boots, and the fact Perez drew it reminds me of Superboy Prime, which is not a good thing. Which one is Morrison writing, the Superman title or Action?
Old 06-09-11, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suicide Squad #1

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06...icide-squad-1/

Harley Quinn! Deadshot! King Shark! They’re a team of death-row super villains recruited by the government to take on missions so dangerous – they’re sheer suicide! Who will be the first to crack under the pressure? Find out in SUICIDE SQUAD #1, written by Adam Glass (FLASHPOINT: LEGION OF DOOM) with art by Marco Rudy (THE SHIELD).

Blue Beetle #1

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06/09/blue-beetle-1/

It’s not easy being Jaime Reyes. He has to deal with high school, family and all the drama that comes with being a teenager. Also, he’s linked to a powerful scarab created by an alien race who seek to subjugate planets – or annihilate them. It’s up to one teen hero to turn this instrument of destruction into a force for good in BLUE BEETLE #1, written by Tony Bedard (GREEN LANTERN CORPS) and illustrated by Ig Guara (FLASHPOINT: GRODD OF WAR) and Ruy Jose.

So that is 48 of the 52. The final four will most likely be Superman, Action, Supergirl, and Superboy.

I really don't like Harley's new costume. I don't know why they didn't use her costume from Arkham City. That one is great and not as slutty.

Deadshot looks like he is wearing Isaac's armor from Dead Space.
Old 06-09-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Who did the cover for Suicide Squad? It looks really good.
Old 06-09-11, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Who did the cover for Suicide Squad? It looks really good.
Ryan Benjamin
Old 06-09-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

THAT'S supposed to be Harley Quinn?
Old 06-09-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm curious to hear Bruce Timm's take on this.
Old 06-09-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

These designs are really bad. I guess it might be cool for what they hope will be the next generation but I dunno.

The BEST update in costume was Batman & Robin via Frank Quitely. That guy has some great looking designs, modern, simplistic, and still iconic looking.

I guess it's cheaper to have Jim Lee come up with all new designs since their already paying him a fat salary.
Old 06-09-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looking over the new designs again... does it seem odd to anyone else that they really emphasized taking the underwear look off of Superman, but they have no problem putting it on Supergirl?
Old 06-09-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Looking over the new designs again... does it seem odd to anyone else that they really emphasized taking the underwear look off of Superman, but they have no problem putting it on Supergirl?
Any chance to show off a superheroine's hips and thighs is generally going to pass mustard...particularly during a massive push to lure in new readers.

In my history studies I once heard a teacher quip that the reason the French performed so poorly in warfare in World War I was that they prepared by getting ready for the Franco-Prussian War, and then prepared for World War II by getting ready for World War I. Every cover that has been shown makes me think DC is trying to get ready for 1993.
Old 06-10-11, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

That new Superman costume looks exactly like what I expect if Warner Bros. felt the need to "modernize" his costume for a movie. Hollywood loves its superheroes in armor, even if it does not make a lick of sense. Let us pray that is not what the new Zach Snyder Superman looks like...
Old 06-10-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Great article with Gail talking about the Batgirl controversy:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gail...le-110609.html
Old 06-10-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Didn't really notice the missing underwear at first. It does make sense for it to be more made from metal then cloth though. The old excuse that Ma Kent unraveled a blanket from Krypton thread by thread and resewn a costume out of it. Althouh still how can he hide the boots underneath hius regular dress shoes as Clark Kent?
Old 06-10-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie
As much as I love the traditional HQ... I'm not hating it.
Old 06-10-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by notvandnobeer
Ryan Benjamin
Another WildStorm vet.
Old 06-10-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingermck
Great article with Gail talking about the Batgirl controversy:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gail...le-110609.html
Thanks for that link. Simone seems to be walking the line between defender of Barbara Gordon and reluctant company woman, but I figure if anyone is going to fight hard for that character, it's her.

I just wish someone had been willing to do a Batgirl series set in the past but published concurrently with Birds of Prey. I mean, didn't Batman Beyond prove that audiences and readers were, in fact, capable of keeping up with one character at parallel times in his or her life? And that show had a much larger audience than comics have readers...and cartoon viewers aren't generally nearly as well versed in juggling multiple continuities. It just seems to me they could have eaten their Batgirl cake and had it, too.

Originally Posted by movieguru
Didn't really notice the missing underwear at first. It does make sense for it to be more made from metal then cloth though. The old excuse that Ma Kent unraveled a blanket from Krypton thread by thread and resewn a costume out of it. Althouh still how can he hide the boots underneath hius regular dress shoes as Clark Kent?
Yeah, a metal suit with boots under his Clark Kent suit makes a whole lot more sense than Ma Kent sewing.

Originally Posted by madcougar
As much as I love the traditional HQ... I'm not hating it.
It looks like a McFarlane Toys concept design to me. Might be nice eye candy once, but I suspect it will become mundane very quickly for regular readers. Maybe not, though.
Old 06-10-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is 2011, how come all the chick super heroes aren't wearing thongs?
Old 06-10-11, 12:00 PM
Banned

This is what they should have used for Harley. It is ten times better.

Regarding Barbara, I don't mind if she walks again. What I do mind is her regressing to the Batgirl role. Like it was said in the interview, in a magical world like the DCU it only makes sense for Barbara to walk again. Bruce wasn't even paralyzed a year (DCU-time) after Bane broke his back before he was up and walking again. However, going back to the Batgirl role is going backward. Its basically a job demotion. If she walks again and remains Oracle, I would have no problem at all with it. However, regressing back to Batgirl is a problem.

Regarding Ma Kent sewing Clark's costume, wasn't that just an old Silver Age thing? I think in the post-Byrne reboot the only thing Ma used from the rocket was the S-shield. Everything else was Earth-made I believe. His costume has been shredded to pieces several times over the years, so it isn't like he is still using his first costume anyway.
Old 06-10-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Harley looks way too much like Typhoid Mary.
Old 06-10-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Navinabob
That Harley looks way too much like Typhoid Mary.
THAT's who that drawing reminded me of, that was driving me crazy. I know Suicide Squad did it first, but it also feels like Thunderbolts (though that may just be Deadshot's new armor giving me a Penance vibe).

Those knee-holes in that Supergirl costume are terrible, btw, and I'm sure will be difficult to draw correctly.
Old 06-10-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Regarding Barbara, I don't mind if she walks again. What I do mind is her regressing to the Batgirl role. Like it was said in the interview, in a magical world like the DCU it only makes sense for Barbara to walk again. Bruce wasn't even paralyzed a year (DCU-time) after Bane broke his back before he was up and walking again. However, going back to the Batgirl role is going backward. Its basically a job demotion. If she walks again and remains Oracle, I would have no problem at all with it. However, regressing back to Batgirl is a problem.
I can appreciate your perspective on this, but I think it's a tad premature to condemn this as a "demotion." I'm conflicted. I think that Barbara Gordon has been a very unique character post-Killing Joke and I'd hate to see her essentially become just another heroine in a cape. On the other hand, I adore the character and never got the chance to follow her as Batgirl in new stories until Batman: The Animated Series, so I'm kind of excited about seeing her in action in new stories.

There is one remark that Gail Simone makes in the interview shared earlier in this thread I think is worth addressing:

I've always said my whole career that I wanted to write by the improv credo, "don't negate," which means, even if you didn't care for something, you try to make it work, you don't say, "Oh, that particular story didn't happen."
There comes a point where even if a writer doesn't disavow or retcon a predecessor's work, the sheer bulk of various writers making things work becomes unwieldy. The greatest check against that is to quit emphasizing major event stories. For decades, Batman and Superman sold comic books without characters dying (except within stories where they were resurrected by the issue's end, so those don't really count). The Legion of Super-Heroes could travel through time without it causing every DC title to react in some way.

Publishers are quick to say, "Well, the sales are great so that means the fans are largely happy with what we're doing now." Those early shake-up sales are always higher, because we as fans and readers are naturally curious. Five months later when fans don't feel like this is going anywhere and quit buying, though, it's time for a creative change as someone new is brought in and now has to find a way out of someone else's mess. I don't blame a writer for inheriting a mess, but I do blame a writer--and an editor--for mapping out these kinds of stories that demand long-lasting consequences and then box in subsequent writers.
Old 06-10-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think its easy to forget that Barbara was the 2nd person to wear the cape and cowl. Before Jean Paul, Dick, Cassie, etc. Essentially she was the first person Bruce allowed to wear the bat, so I don't see it as a demotion at all for her to return to that.
Old 06-10-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think its easy to forget that Barbara was the 2nd person to wear the cape and cowl. 2nd. Before Jean Paul, Dick, Cassie, etc. Essentially she was the first person Bruce allowed to wear the bat, so I don't see it as a demotion at all for her to return to that.
And even easier to forget Kathy and Betty Kane preceded Babs!
Old 06-10-11, 03:21 PM
Banned

The final four are announced.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06...y-happens-now/

ACTION COMICS #1

A new era of DC Comics begins as the longest-running monthly comic of all time releases its first issue #1 since 1938.

This September, New York Times bestselling writer Grant Morrison (ALL-STAR SUPERMAN) joins with sensational artist Rags Morales to bring you tales of The Man of Tomorrow unlike any you’ve ever read before in ACTION COMICS #1. This momentous first issue will set in motion the history of the DC Universe as Superman defends a world that doesn’t trust their first Super Hero.

The first Action Comics #1 is now the most sought-after comic book of all time. This September, one of comics’ most imaginative storytellers will make history again in Grant Morrison and Rags Morales’ ACTION COMICS #1.

Superman #1

What is Superman’s startling new status quo? How does it affect his friends, loved ones and his job at The Daily Planet? Find out in SUPERMAN #1, written by legendary comics creator George Perez (CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, NEW TEEN TITANS and WONDER WOMAN) and illustrated by Jesus Merino.

Supergirl #1

Supergirl’s got the unpredictable behavior of a teenager, the same powers as Superman and none of his affection for the people of Earth. Writers Michael Green and Mike Johnson (Smallville, SUPERMAN/BATMAN) will team up with artist Mahmud Asrar to give a new take on the teenager from Krypton in SUPERGIRL #1.

Superboy #1

They thought he was just a failed experiment, grown from a combination of Kryptonian and human DNA. But when the scope of his stunning powers was revealed, he became a deadly weapon. SUPERBOY #1 will be written by Scott Lobdell with art by R.B. Silva and Rob Lean.

It sounds like Action may be a new origin or at least set very early in Superman's career since it says the people don't trust him.

Supergirl sounds like she may turn into a villain.

Superboy sounds like maybe he isn't cloned during the Death of Superman but rather just some random experiment gone bad.

At least no mention of Superman: One More Day... yet...
Old 06-10-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
And even easier to forget Kathy and Betty Kane preceded Babs!
Well depends on what continuity were looking at
Old 06-10-11, 03:29 PM
Banned

I think its easy to forget that Barbara was the 2nd person to wear the cape and cowl. Before Jean Paul, Dick, Cassie, etc. Essentially she was the first person Bruce allowed to wear the bat, so I don't see it as a demotion at all for her to return to that.
I think one reason I see it as a demotion is because she is going back to the -girl suffix. She is supposed to be a year or two older than Dick. It would be better in my opinion if she became the new Batwoman, and keep Stephanie as Batgirl.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.