Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Originally Posted by fujishig
So is Justice League back in the "present day" now, and if so, is Hal not a member (or did he get his ring back)? Feel free to spoiler tag the response, I'm just curious.
i read all those and i couldnt tell you if jla is caught up in time yet. its definitely later than the first story arc but i dont know how much. yes its the same line-up.

spoilers
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/...eague-9-review
Old 05-21-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^Is your first name Gil?
Old 05-21-12, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
^Is your first name Gil?
if youre asking me, no
Old 05-21-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could see a lot of fan outrage at Barbara Gordon. They finally bring her back and then this reveal? Plus that would mean that Batgirl and Batwoman are out of the closet (which sets up the eventual Batman turn, as I predicted earlier, but still).
I thought it had been semi-established in the New DC that Dick and Barbara had been an item. The Nightwing/Batgirl shippers will not be happy if it's her.
Old 05-21-12, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar
I thought it had been semi-established in the New DC that Dick and Barbara had been an item. The Nightwing/Batgirl shippers will not be happy if it's her.
it has, and that still can be true. they were young and human sexuality is a continuum.

dc should prolly just tell us and prevent this from turning into some kind of gay witch-hunt or forced outing though.
Old 05-21-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dishpan
it has, and that still can be true. they were young and human sexuality is a continuum.
Uh... yours maybe!
Old 05-21-12, 04:35 PM
Banned

If Nightwing Annual #2 is still canon, then that likely turned Barbara off men.

Old 05-21-12, 05:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dishpan
from reading the new 52 its not gonna be batman or superman or any of those. itll be like batgirl or guy gardner or something.
Making Guy Gardner gay would be kind of awesome, now that I think about it.
Old 05-21-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One fist! ONE FIST!!
Old 05-22-12, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I bet the gay character will be a supporting one like Alfred the butler. It will crush me if it's Barbara Gordon. It always could be a villain, I don't think the fans would cry out in protest if we find out someone like Poison Ivy is a lesbian.
Old 05-22-12, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

The gay character is supposed to be male.
Old 05-22-12, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I bet the gay character will be a supporting one like Alfred the butler. It will crush me if it's Barbara Gordon. It always could be a villain, I don't think the fans would cry out in protest if we find out someone like Poison Ivy is a lesbian.
i am leaning towards jimmy olsen
Old 05-22-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
If Nightwing Annual #2 is still canon, then that likely turned Barbara off men.

God, that's disturbing on so many levels...
Old 05-22-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

So who wrote that charming piece of retcon-in-a-throwaway-annual-that-ruins-a-character? That's almost as bad as Nightwing getting raped (thanks for that, Devin Grayson).

Ah, ok, it was Andreyko. It's worse than i thought:

from the recap at http://www.comicvine.com/nightwing-a...art/37-108584/
Robin tries to think clean thoughts as he finds himself having to hide a certain bodily reaction with his cape after being so close to Batgirl.
When Barbara was shot by the Joker, Dick was away on Tamaran. He didn't find out what had happened until six months later. He showed up at her place. They embraced each other. One thing led to another and they ended up in bed. The next morning as Dick is getting dressed, he hands Barbara an envelope. Inside is an engagement announcement for him and Kory. Outraged, she yells at him to get out.
So he finds out she's crippled, goes over to see her and give her the invitation and then does that? Ugh.
Old 05-23-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always wanted Dick to marry Barbara at some point but that whole scene is crazily bad, damaging to both characters.
Old 05-23-12, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

If I remember correctly, that annual set up them getting back together, but Nightwing had to join the fight in Infinite Crisis, and after that soft boot was One Year Later, and it was dropped.
Old 05-23-12, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

So who wrote that charming piece of retcon-in-a-throwaway-annual-that-ruins-a-character? That's almost as bad as Nightwing getting raped (thanks for that, Devin Grayson).
Wait. Nightwing was raped???

And that scene above...wow, I'm at a loss for words. I like the line "...now I can't feel my legs" but for the writer to ask me to believe that Dick would do that takes some nerve. What was the point of that scene? If he wanted to show me that Dick is human, makes bad decisions, has moments of weakness, or something like that, there are a million better ways to do it. Toying with the emotions of one of his oldest friends, through sex no less, is not something I see Dick doing. I know it's just one page and doesn't show all of the context but it makes it seem like he was throwing Babs a bone, giving the crippled girl a sympathy shag then rubbing her face in it with that engagement announcement. Ugh. I'm happy I went back to reading golden age comics.

When I started reading comics Babs was older that Dick. He was in high school/college when she was a congresswoman (and before that a librarian who must have already been through college). I believe 25 is the minimum age requirement for Congress so there were at least 7 or 8 years difference between them but somewhere along the lines they seem to have become pretty much the same age and romantic notions between the two became more prevalent. I don't think I ever thought about them getting married, she was always the big sister in my mind.
Old 05-23-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That annual was all about their relationship, so I assume the writer was showing flashbacks to show how they've been on again and off again for so long. Although Barbara obviously sees it differently, I don't think Dick was "throwing the crippled girl a bone" but that deep down he still had feelings for her. Like stingermck said, it was all about them getting back together but him making the tough choice to go join the fight in Infinite Crisis, and then for whatever reason to join Batman on his one year jaunt where he and Supes and Wonder Woman just didn't care about the world for a year. I mean, he had a ring and proposed, even, before it was dropped.

Still makes that scene crappy all around, for her, Dick, and Starfire.

Their relationship had long been fanfic material, which considering the whole new 52 Catwoman thing, seems to be where they're heading with some of these books anyway.

Oh, and yeah, Nightwing was raped, by a woman. Well, the author, Devin Grayson, doesn't call it rape, just saying it was non-consensual, but I don't really see the difference. Hopefully that was wiped out too, whether by Superboy Prime's punch or by the new 52.
Old 05-23-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anything Devin Grayson ever wrote should be wiped out. By a punch or flamethrower, I'm good either way.
Old 05-23-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Oh, and yeah, Nightwing was raped, by a woman. Well, the author, Devin Grayson, doesn't call it rape, just saying it was non-consensual, but I don't really see the difference. Hopefully that was wiped out too, whether by Superboy Prime's punch or by the new 52.
What issue is this? It sounds so bizarre that I now have to check out both it and that annual mentioned above.
Old 05-23-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
What issue is this? It sounds so bizarre that I now have to check out both it and that annual mentioned above.
http://asylums.insanejournal.com/sca...ly/366943.html
Old 05-23-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there REALLY such a thing as non-consensual sex for a straight man who is being sexed up by a woman? This same thing happened to the Hulk.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Anything Devin Grayson ever wrote should be wiped out. By a punch or flamethrower, I'm good either way.
She must have been screwing Mark Waid something crazy to get as much work as she did.
Old 05-23-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

At the end of Nightwing #93 (July 2004), after Tarantula killed Blockbuster, she and Nightwing had sex on a rooftop. At the time, Nightwing was in shock and undergoing deep emotional trauma; thus there has been debate amongst fans as to his consent, and if Nightwing was in fact raped by Tarantula.[3] Writer Devin Grayson herself has given the contradictory statement, "For the record, I’ve never used the word 'rape', I just said it was non-consensual." This is further confused by the script for the issue specifically mentioning (in parentheses) that this scene was a sex scene and not a rape.[4]
Pic:
Spoiler:
Old 05-23-12, 02:41 PM

Is there REALLY such a thing as non-consensual sex for a straight man who is being sexed up by a woman? This same thing happened to the Hulk.
Not sure if you're serious, but a male erection is very much a physiological reaction. It's possible for a female to rape a male in this way without the male's consent. Just like when males rape other males and the male being raped finds it pleasurable and even ejaculates.

Devin Grayson also doesn't appear to understand rape. If its non-consensual, its rape. That's basically the whole basis for the idea of "rape." The lack of consent or the inability of the person to consent in a meaningful way. If he does understand, then he's purposely avoiding the word rape because of the societal implications the word has.

In the picture posted by stingermck, without any further context of the preceding or following pages, shows rape. Something isn't right with Nightwing, he's injured and seems delirious, he explicitly tells Tarantula not to touch him - this request seems to to be not to touch him in any sense - thereby denying consent for sex with her. Tarantula essentially climbs on top of him (which in turn pins him down and if he's injured, he may be unable to move her off of him), its implied an erection occurs, and Tarantula gets on it and rides him and basically tells him not to fight it. If they just got done with some huge battle and Nightwing is injured and just out of his mind, there isn't really any meaningful implied consent to reverse the explicit denial of consent at the top of the panel. (Again, an erection isn't implied consent and the most physical action we see from Nightwing is him trying to sit up in some way.)

Last edited by kodave; 05-23-12 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's the problem with a woman writing a male character. That scene is written as if Dick is a female. I don't believe Dick, an Olympic-caliber athlete trained by the world's greatest human superhero, could not overpower Tarantula if the contact was not welcome. It does not add up, emotional trauma or not. Maybe if he had been stoned out of his mind in a delirium, but even that is questionable. The scene is supposed to be shocking for its own sake and is just not plausible.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.