Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Looking at the analysis of DC's August sales on The Beat, core DCU titles were selling an average of 27,761 copies per issue.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/10/12...s-august-2011/

So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they're probably happy basically quadrupling that number.
Old 10-14-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Now were talking about reaching new readers!

DC Comics has struck a deal with General Mills to include custom editions of Justice League in specially marked boxes of Big G cereals, The New York Times reports. The partnership is expected to be announced at New York Comic Con.

The publisher is printing a whopping 12 million copies of four Justice League books — “Unstoppable Forces,” “Artificial Invasion,” “Sinister Imitation” and “Breakout!” — featuring a classic roster of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash and Aquaman. (And they’re in their classic costumes, to boot!) The stories will begin in print and continue online at BigCerealHeroes.com, where you can get a sampling of the four titles.

The 24-page comics, by Scott Beatty, Paul Tobin, Doug Wagner, Joshua Williamson, Christian Duce, Derec Donovan and Bruno Redondo, are 5 inches by 7 inches and ad-free, except for a mention that they’re “brought to you by Big G cereals.” They can be found inside designated boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Trix, Golden Grahams, Reese’s Puffs and Cocoa Puffs.

The DC Comics promotion, which runs through October and November, will be supported with advertising in traditional media, online and through social media.
Old 10-14-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The stench of failure all over this Nu-52 relaunch is OVERWHELMING! Ohhh the vapors!!! *faints*
Old 10-14-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Looking at the analysis of DC's August sales on The Beat, core DCU titles were selling an average of 27,761 copies per issue.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/10/12...s-august-2011/

So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they're probably happy basically quadrupling that number.
Wow. I didn't realize how poorly some of their core books were doing. It really is no wonder they did this. At absolute worst if in a year they're back to the numbers they were pulling pre-Flashpoint, they've had a major infusion of cash for a few months.
Old 10-14-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Yeah, but DC did it to themselves. They pulled the plug from what seemed like a couple of years of stories in Planet Krypton, then gave Superman over to JMS to run into the ground. Superman. And then look at stuff like JSA and Titans and Supergirl, books that got jerked around with no clear direction, with a round robin of writers and artists and plotlines. I mean, they gave Teen Titans to a Gossip Girl writer with little to no comic experience. And Robinson's Justice League... ugh.

They are certainly going all out to support this and do right by the retailers selling their books, and it's working. As a fan of DC, even if I'm not a huge fan of the reboot, I'm hoping this helps them get their house in order and get some creative momentum. After all, we just want cool comics to read. I finally got my monthly shipment in (including LoSH, Legion Lost, Action 1 and 2). I can see why people find the Legion books impenetrable, but as a Legion fan, I'm kinda glad they kept something around with ties to the past (how ironic). I like that they give little snippets in the back where they interview creators of other books, to try to do a cross sell. Good stuff, and unlike the extra sketch pages in Justice League, they didn't charge you for them. I'm not that excited about this new Superman/Superboy in Action, but it's interesting, at least... I certainly am more interested in this than I ever was in Grounded.

Also got that Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans original GN, and it scratched my itch for really old-school DC. Kinda sad that it got delayed and came out in the middle of the reboot (or not-a-reboot), but it was the #1 GN last month, so I guess it didn't hurt sales, at least. The Teen Titans old and new, as legacy characters (along with the Justice Society), were probably the ones most hit by this reboot and compressed timeline.
Old 10-14-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, but DC did it to themselves.
My initial response to your post was "No duh." But looking at the overall numbers, it's pretty clear that comics as an industry are doing very poorly. DC certainly didn't help itself at all, but I wonder how much of it was DC and how much was just the reality of the industry.
Old 10-17-11, 04:19 PM
Banned

Has anyone seen the January DC solicits yet? Maxima is apparently coming back, and this is what her redesign looks like:

There are a lot of bad redesigns in the new 52, but that is by far the worst. It looks nothing at all like Maxima, and if the solicit didn't say it was Maxima then I would never have guessed it was her.
Old 10-17-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some kick ass #5 covers:

Old 10-17-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

That Maxima redesign looks pretty sweet But then, if you're into generic 90s mindless cheesecake...
Old 10-17-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks like Action Comics will be going back to the present day starting with issue #7. This is one of the new 52 I would have been interested in reading, but I fit goes back to present day, I won't be that interested in it.
Old 10-17-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Hmmm, they're revamping Captain Marvel not in his own book but in back up in Justice League starting with issue #5. Written by Johns but best of all illustrated by Gary Frank. Now I'm not Captain Marvel fan but I love Frank's art. Lee and Frank in one book might be enough to get me to buy one of these.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gary...am-111017.html
Old 10-17-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
Hmmm, they're revamping Captain Marvel not in his own book but in back up in Justice League starting with issue #5. Written by Johns but best of all illustrated by Gary Frank. Now I'm not Captain Marvel fan but I love Frank's art. Lee and Frank in one book might be enough to get me to buy one of these.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gary...am-111017.html
Oh hell yeah!
Old 10-18-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love me some Gary Frank.
Old 10-18-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I love me some Gary Frank.
For my money the best comic book artist around.
Old 10-18-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Looks like Action Comics will be going back to the present day starting with issue #7. This is one of the new 52 I would have been interested in reading, but I fit goes back to present day, I won't be that interested in it.
Where did you see that? I haven't seen issue #2 yet, but the first issue interested me. I'm getting worried, though, that this whole idea of a "reboot" isn't going to be as friendly to new readers (like me) as I had hoped.
Old 10-18-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
Where did you see that? I haven't seen issue #2 yet, but the first issue interested me. I'm getting worried, though, that this whole idea of a "reboot" isn't going to be as friendly to new readers (like me) as I had hoped.
It was in the Newsarama.com article about George Perez leaving the "Superman" title after issue #6. The interview said both titles would now take place in the current DC timeframe but would shy away from doing much crossovers between the 2 titles.

I would have been interested in reading about a new inexperienced Superman but bring that title to present day makes it just like the other Superman
title(s).
Old 10-18-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
It was in the Newsarama.com article about George Perez leaving the "Superman" title after issue #6. The interview said both titles would now take place in the current DC timeframe but would shy away from doing much crossovers between the 2 titles.

I would have been interested in reading about a new inexperienced Superman but bring that title to present day makes it just like the other Superman
title(s).
No kidding. That's what I was enjoying about it (through the first issue). I guess that's what's being referenced in the back of JL #1 when it's said the new suit will be explained in Action Comics.

I'd be okay with crossovers of some titles if there was some indication of what was being crossed over and it stayed there. Like, is Superman and Batman going to run in the same universe as JL, or am I supposed to keep three different universes separate?

Also, are any of the Bat-titles concurrent w/ each other? If Batman appears in one of the issues, which Batman is that? I know these are newbie questions, but they're the kind of questions that make me really question how much I time I want to invest in these stories...
Old 10-18-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Action stops doing the retro stories, I'll be disappointed. I think they should use Action comics for background stories about the rise of the superhero before all the new 52 #1s take place.
Old 10-18-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Maxima looks like Asajj Ventress.

And I'm having real difficulty figuring out the anatomy of that Catwoman cover.
Old 10-18-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Haven't you ever seen a felled woman in black latex?
Old 10-18-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777

For the life of me I can't figure out what's going on on her back.
Old 10-18-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is her right shoulder sticking up in the air...and then a little farther down is her ass...
Old 10-18-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
The reboot is confusing to everyone but Dan DiDio. Some past events count while others are either completely changed or eliminated altogether. Go check out a comic book forum that discusses each issue as it is released if you want to make the most sense of everything. Something like this one:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...isplay.php?f=3

That Maxima design is junk, while Catwoman on the cover looks to be in some sort of bondage position.
Old 10-18-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Hawkman looks fuckin' insane. I love it. He's a brute and a Skullcracker.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-18-11 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've been absent from the forum entirely for the better part of the last two weeks with all kinds of personal problems, including a stay in a hospital related to my ongoing battle with depression. The relevant part is that I took with me the 1989 trade paperback collection, The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told. The very first story collected is "Batman Versus the Vampire, Part 1" from Detective Comics #31. It's a terrific two-part story, especially for this time of year, but the reason I mention it at all is that the very first panel has the caption:

Through the dark of a New York night...
Given the side discussion about DC geography and the proper analog for Gotham City, I thought that might be of interest to some of you. Of course, it can be argued that was long since altered like so much of the Golden Age stuff but at least in the early going it appears that Gotham was, indeed, meant to be New York.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.