DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 01-28-17, 04:31 PM   #201
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Comic Conventions

Flipping through an unorganized box at a convention is a pain with people milling about. It's fine in a quiet store.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 01-28-17, 05:22 PM   #202
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a fan of organized bins. Back when I would actually look through back issue bins at comic stores, I was always had a general idea of what I was looking for, so I would not want to dig through fifty long boxes to find a copy of Grendel #16 or Shade the Changing Man #27.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-28-17, 05:33 PM   #203
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Flipping through an unorganized box at a convention is a pain with people milling about. It's fine in a quiet store.
I can remember a couple of stores that always had people playing D&D or Magic cards in the store. It was little narrow store, maybe twelve feet wide and fifty feet deep, and every day the place was filled with loud malcontents playing games. They always had five or six different games going on and it was impossible to even walk to the back of the store where they had the new releases. They were playing D&D games on top of the back isssue bins, so you couldn't look through those.

Other stores had separate sections with tables for the gamers, but they were still loud and obnoxious.

I never understood why comic stores let people play games in them. They just take up space and they don't buy anything. Why can't they just do that shit in their own homes?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-29-17, 01:37 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Put me in the camp of people that dislike flipping through unorganized boxes. Especially at a convention, when I am most likely only there for several hours of a single day. what makes it even worse, is when the boxes are packed so tight that you can hardly see what the books are without pulling out a big stack. I just don't have the patience for that. At least organize stuff by title, or even character.
I couldn't agree more.

Yeah, the New York Comic Con is still very much focused on comics, as is the Boston Comic Con. The Rhode Island Comic Con, on the other hand, is more dedicated to general pop culture.
Old 01-29-17, 01:55 PM   #205
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I can remember a couple of stores that always had people playing D&D or Magic cards in the store. It was little narrow store, maybe twelve feet wide and fifty feet deep, and every day the place was filled with loud malcontents playing games. They always had five or six different games going on and it was impossible to even walk to the back of the store where they had the new releases. They were playing D&D games on top of the back isssue bins, so you couldn't look through those.

Other stores had separate sections with tables for the gamers, but they were still loud and obnoxious.

I never understood why comic stores let people play games in them. They just take up space and they don't buy anything. Why can't they just do that shit in their own homes?
I never played card-based games but I imagine it was for foot traffic beyond the sheer profit angle. Many comic book stores would sit empty most of the time outside of release day each week, if not for the card players.

That being said, comic book shops were so much different before Magic: The Gathering was introduced. They tended to be neater and usually carried more inventory back in the day.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 01-29-17, 03:07 PM   #206
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

My local shop seems to have much more gaming traffic and business than comic, but it's a large store and the gaming area is never in the way of the comics.
Old 01-29-17, 04:25 PM   #207
DVD Talk Legend

We have a small local shop that sells comics and toys/collectibles but yeah the heart of the business seems to be Magic and other card games. Actually the shop recently moved and the owner said that he's looking to cut overhead and wants to focus mainly on comics and Magic while keeping a good majority of inventory to his eBay page.

Its been a long time since I've posted in here and I still haven't made it to a convention but would like to. Even if it was just to a smaller one.