Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Conventions

Old 02-13-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Comic Conventions

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
My first and only Wizard World Chicago experience was also in '06. I thought some of the guests and panels were pretty solid, but yeah, comics were pretty poorly represented on the floor. It seemed like there was more wrestling stuff than comics too. I made Kristen Bell laugh (intentionally!), and she put her arm around me, so there's that too. That's so depressing and creepy to type out.
I definitely remember rasslin' being prominent! I recall some matches taking place on a stage on place on the floor, and it seems like the Spike TV booth was pretty loud and promoted whatever wrestling they were showing at the time. In 2006 I don't know that I knew who Kristen Bell was (I know, I know), but I'm sure I never encountered her.

Incidentally, we only went to the show on Friday that year. There was a panel held by a Star Wars comic artist on how to do several characters. We sat in on that just to take a break. Somewhere, we still have the sketches we did as we followed along with his instructions. Thanks for reminding me about that; I should find those and upload those to Deviant Art!
Old 02-14-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've made the trip to Heroes Con for at least a decade, if not more. I take a bunch of photos while I'm there (they've been nice enough to comp me a press badge in exchange for use of my photos), and get to know some of the pro's slowly but surely as the years roll on. Even a $500 sketch budget doesn't get you much anymore, but I do tend to spend that much for sketches on the past few Heroes Cons. I may up the budget a bit more if I can get lucky with getting on certain artists' sketch lists, which fill up quite fast at the start of each day. Over the years, I've met some amazing sketch hounds who usually have 4-5 large-sized sketchbooks in circulation in the convention center, and get some really fine sketches (but they probably spend $1000-$3000 on the various sketches). It's a great show if you are primarily focused on comics and original artwork (plus a nice art auction that can get pretty crazy on Saturday of the convention), and not other multimedia type of diversions (TV/Movie/wrestling/etc).

Dragon*Con hasn't been much of a comic-related show in the 2000's decade, but in the past 2 years, it has experienced a resurgence in the comics and pop art arena. Also, it's a fun time if you're into cosplay, and want to see some really awesome comc-related costumes being on display. It's my primary photo-taking focus while at Dragon*Con, it seems, nowadays. I've beel going for over a decade to D*C, too. It's gotten too big, but it's got so much going on, it's impossible to be bored for too long.

I'm thinking about going to Megacon since Comicon (San Diego) is looking to be a 50/50 thing this year for me. In the past Megacon is a good con to get con sketches, but as it gets more popular, it'll be a bit harder for getting sketches.

Was somewhat interested in New York Comicon (NYCC) later in the year, but the high cost of the hotel rooms is a turn-off.

If Wizard World returns to Atlanta late in the year, I'll probably just do one day there unless I'm bored enough to do both days, as you can see everything to do in about 3 hours, but if you like the cosplay stuff, there's a contest on Saturday night, so that's the day to go to maximize your badge dollars. It's also a good con to get sketches too (at least it was in 2010), not much of a line for even the popular artists (but show up early to get on their lists, that's the best practice to get on their lists).
Old 02-14-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Was somewhat interested in New York Comicon (NYCC) later in the year, but the high cost of the hotel rooms is a turn-off.
I stayed at the Central Park West YMCA when I went a few years back. $50 a night.

Of course, that was pre bedbug scare.
Old 02-14-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I stayed at the Central Park West YMCA when I went a few years back. $50 a night.

Of course, that was pre bedbug scare.
Unfortunately, I'd be worried about my photo gear staying at the YMCA.
Old 03-03-11, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I haven't been in many many years, but I've thought about hitting Emerald for a while now and I don't have a great excuse for not going so I should probably make a commitment to it.
Darn it. Emerald is this weekend and I'm almost completely booked with other stuff. Will have to see if there are any slivers of time that might work.
Old 03-03-11, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Darn it. Emerald is this weekend and I'm almost completely booked with other stuff. Will have to see if there are any slivers of time that might work.
A friend of mine arrived in Seattle yesterday for Emerald City. He went last year and loved it, and his girlfriend's gift to him for Christmas was to send him back this year. I enjoy getting random texts from him throughout the cons he visits, as it allows me to somewhat vicariously attend as well. I almost sent him with money and an 8x10 of Shatner to get signed, but didn't want to intrude on his weekend.
Old 03-03-11, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

My GF wants to go to Comic-con in San Diego.
Old 03-07-11, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Did you already get tickets? They completely sold out in about 9 hours a few weeks ago.
Old 03-09-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've never been but I have friends who've gone several times and they say if your really into comic books it's not really worth going; it's secondary to whatever else is going on there. I don't know if that's true or not but I still want to go someday.
Old 03-09-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I read some really good reviews and comments about the Emerald City Comic Con (ECCC, in Seattle, WA) that just took place last weekend. They said it's what San Diego Comicon used to be in terms of comics, with just enough media/video games/etc. to round it out, but the focus is primarily on comics.
Old 06-24-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone still interested in going to Comic-con San Diego, they just tweeted that 1500 4-day passes will be going on sale at 10:00 this morning (Pacific time.) You need to go to this link: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_reg_resales.php and wait for the button to turn "green."
Old 06-24-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I've never been but I have friends who've gone several times and they say if your really into comic books it's not really worth going; it's secondary to whatever else is going on there. I don't know if that's true or not but I still want to go someday.
Sadly, it is true.
Old 06-24-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm in the queue! Down to #275 (started at #1175), but I fear tickets will dry up soon...
Old 06-24-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hope you got them. SDCC is reporting that the 1500 up for grabs are now gone.

They will be selling their remaining One Day Passes at a future date. People still have a chance.
Old 06-24-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did! I scored a 4-day badge! As I was #1175 in the ticket queue at the start, I heard #1300 was around the cutoff point since people had the option to buy up to 2 badges for their place in the queue. I guess only 200 people buy 2 badges, while the rest were single badge purchases.
Old 06-24-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! That's pretty awesome. I'm a little shocked that people weren't buying 2, did you have to know the name of who would get the 2nd tickets?
Old 06-24-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Enjoy, Patman! Someday I want to attend this.
Old 06-24-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Congrats! That's pretty awesome. I'm a little shocked that people weren't buying 2, did you have to know the name of who would get the 2nd tickets?
Yes.
Old 06-24-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Yes, they distribute tickets/badges at the convention, and you have to show ID to claim it. So you can't just buy extra and then resell them for profit.
Old 06-24-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's cool that they do it that way to spread out the love. I guess it'd be neat to figure out a way to have like a buddy ticket, since you are buying them so far in advance, but that would be pretty hard to implement.
Old 06-26-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Comicon's ticket system is designed to curtail scalpers and ticket flippers for profit, and while it's good in that respect, it's stifling for the plans of wannabe attendees and flexibility in lining up alternate buddies to go to SDCC with. For this badge resale exercise, the reason not many people bought 2 badges was because not many people can find another person to pony up the higher airfare expenses (and hotel costs) this late in the game or re-arrange their vacation schedule with only a month's notice.

The only reason people put up with this system is because demand for badges far outstrips the supply of the badges. If badges weren't selling out, they'd be more flexible in badge sales and their insistence for name/badge/sale, or allowing for transferring the badge to another person with a nominal charge(again, that scalping deterrent policy rears its ugly head).
Old 12-06-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts

As others have mentioned, the San Diego Comic Con has gotten far away from its comic book roots. But for Southern California residents looking for a small comic book-focused convention, I found out about the California Comic Convention a few years ago. It's small (especially compared to ComiCon), but has comic dealers from all over.

I really enjoyed the laid-back feel, and being able to actually take my time to scan through boxes of old comics without a thousand geeks, nerds and noisy kids bumping into me or pushing me out of the way.

It's only one day - Sunday, January 29th, 2012 - and I've already requested the day off so I can go! I'm gon' buy me some comic books!
Photobucket
Old 12-12-11, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Bronkster
As others have mentioned, the San Diego Comic Con has gotten far away from its comic book roots. But for Southern California residents looking for a small comic book-focused convention, I found out about the California Comic Convention a few years ago. It's small (especially compared to ComiCon), but has comic dealers from all over.

I really enjoyed the laid-back feel, and being able to actually take my time to scan through boxes of old comics without a thousand geeks, nerds and noisy kids bumping into me or pushing me out of the way.

It's only one day - Sunday, January 29th, 2012 - and I've already requested the day off so I can go! I'm gon' buy me some comic books!
Photobucket
Have fun and post your finds!
Old 01-03-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Anyone in Texas or close by, looks like we're getting a pretty good show this May. I can't believe they got Stewart to do this, must have cost them a good chunk of change.

http://www.scifiexpo.com/DCC/dcc.html
Old 01-07-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I also jealous of people who have the ability to go to conventions. Unfortunately living in corn country there aren't many cons around here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.