Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Future DC Omnibuses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Future DC Omnibuses?

Originally Posted by fujishig
Why? Because it was available cheaper in other formats? On a page by page basis, the Alan Moore one seems to be a better deal price-wise.

Is Authority still in print (I know the Absolute is not) or is this Stormwatch one a precursor to an Authority HC reprinting?

I also wonder if they went ahead and reached out to Dark Horse or whomever to be able to reprint Stormwatch/Aliens, as that crossover issue was actually very important in the transition of Stormwatch...
I don't know where the 500 pages for the Alan Moore DCU book comes from. The TPB that reprinted that material was about 300 pages (which also included Killing Joke and Man or Tomorrow). Not sure where those extra 200 pages come from.

If the Stormwatch hardcover is reprinting the full Ellis run, that works out to twenty-six comics worth of material, three of which were double-sized.

I'm wondering if BC didn't get the page counts mixed up on those two; maybe the prices, too?

The WildCATs/Aliens crossover might be problematic, since I remember that final TPB reprinting that and Stormwatch v2 10 and 11 took a while to come out and that they had to acquire the rights to that from either Fox or Dark Horse.

Still, the five Stormwatch TPBs cost about $70 cover price, so that's still a good deal at $50.
Old 03-06-12, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Saw this up on Amazon:

DC/Marvel Crossover Omnibus Vol. 1 [Hardcover]
Various (Author, Illustrator)
List Price: $49.99
Price: $31.49 & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime
You Save: $18.50 (37%)
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on October 18, 2011.
Pre-order now!
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Has anyone heard anything about this? I pre-ordered this and it was scheduled for February but doesn't appear that it was released. When is the new date or was it canceled?
Old 03-06-12, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulNJ21
Has anyone heard anything about this? I pre-ordered this and it was scheduled for February but doesn't appear that it was released. When is the new date or was it canceled?
Other forums say it was canceled. In fact, it was never officially solicited by DC, Amazon just jumped the gun.
Old 03-06-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Got this sort-of-omnibus: 300+ pages on nice paper. Just a compilation of previous Secret Origins specials but I like it.

Old 12-19-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got the Challengers of the Unknown omnibus (a smallish one like the size of the New Gods stuff). I read some of it, but didn't read the series as a kid so it's kind of hard to read too much in a sitting.

Teen Titans 3 coming in June:

Just ran across this August pre-order and thought for a second it was the New 52 version (one of the New 52 titles I read in TPB), but it's Morrison.

Old 12-19-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The number of production errors that make it into DC's omnibuses and hardcovers is disturbing. Missing pages, duplicated pages, etc. They just pulped an entire print run of some Batman collection (Alan Davis?) because of a problem like that and had to delay it until after Christmas.
Old 12-20-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Did they change that Stormwatch HC? This thread reminded me of it so I went to look for it in Amazon but the only one there retails for 29.99 and has slightly fewer pages.

Did they fix the bindings on the bigger HCs?
Old 12-20-12, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've heard, DC Omnibuses are now sewn which is better than the previously glued versions. They're almost on par with Marvel Omnibuses.
Old 12-20-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

It's still kind of a crapshoot. Some, like The Invisibles, is sewn, but others like LOEG are glued. Looks like they might be doing sewn binding on the bigger books now, but the smaller ones are still glued.
Old 12-25-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Why doesn't DC do like Marvel does and start at the beginning with Superman ,Batman,etc Omnibuses and go from there rather than skip around with certain artists,Jack Kirby,Steve Ditko,etc. ? Can't believe that there is no market for old school DC comics.
Old 12-25-12, 07:35 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Why doesn't DC do like Marvel does and start at the beginning with Superman ,Batman,etc Omnibuses and go from there rather than skip around with certain artists,Jack Kirby,Steve Ditko,etc. ? Can't believe that there is no market for old school DC comics.
Because the [insert name of character or series here] Chronicles trades are there for that, pretty much.

I would personally like to see more WildStorm Universe stuff, maybe the Monarchy, or an omnibus collecting Wildstorm: Armageddon, Revelations, and Number of the Beast. There could even be a WSU pre-history trade with Team Zero, Team One, all the Team 7 minis and Gen 12.

Last edited by John Pannozzi; 12-25-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I'm not sure the Wildstorm stuff would sell all that well, though (and according to the reviews, they couldn't even do the Ellis Stormwatch one right). They already have a Moore Wildcats collection, and I wouldn't mind a Casey/Phillips Wildcats volume or two, but who would buy it? And why can't they keep Authority in print? I guess they did do Sleeper...

Do they have a Waid Flash series yet?
Old 12-27-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Royalties? Starting sometime for work done in the 1970s, DC has to negotiate royalty rates for modern releases. It's why they group many hardcovers by artists (some artists are willing to take less money while others demand a ransom) or writers. It's also why many of their hardcovers have bizarre exclusions or missing parts, sometimes cutting out backup features or salient parts of a crossover.
Old 12-27-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm more interested in the mid-1950s stuff to the late 1960s stuff.
Old 12-28-12, 11:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, speak of the devil, a Golden Age Superman Omnibus!
Old 12-28-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And clicking through to that also showed me an Absolute Superman/Batman omnibus
Old 03-11-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone get the Sleeper omnibus that was released last week?

Amazon sent mine out on Wednesday and by the time that I received it on Friday, Amazon already had the book listed as "under review" and "not currently offered".

It's also listed as currently unavailable at some other online stores.

So? Is there some kind of printing error or other problem with the book?

I'm dying to read it, but I still have it in the shrink wrap in case I need to return it.
Old 03-11-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Usually, when Amazon does that, it's because they send out the first batch, packaged like shit, and since those books are huge and heavy, they get damaged in shipping, get sent back for replacements, and if they get back more than a few of one new item back, it goes "under review", even if it's their own fault for poor packaging. Pretty much every Omnibus comic goes "under review" a week after it's released.
Old 03-11-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Cover for the Death and Return Omnibus

Old 03-12-13, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I got my copy of Sleeper. I haven't opened it yet, though. And I haven't heard about any problems that would mandate a reprint (a la the missing pages from Alan Davis: Batman or the out-of-order pages from Flash Omnibus vol. 3).

Speaking of Omnibuses, I am drooling over the forthcoming Promethea Immateria edition.
Old 03-12-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't opened my Sleeper omnibus, but it doesn't appear to have any damage from shipping..

It's also back up for sale at Amazon.
Old 03-13-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Usually, when Amazon does that, it's because they send out the first batch, packaged like shit, and since those books are huge and heavy, they get damaged in shipping, get sent back for replacements, and if they get back more than a few of one new item back, it goes "under review", even if it's their own fault for poor packaging. Pretty much every Omnibus comic goes "under review" a week after it's released.
100% truth in your post. Amazon apparently hasn't figured out yet that comic book buyers aren't going to accept their shoddy packaging. I basically had to quit ordering trade paperbacks from them, even though I have Prime service. Hardcovers typically fit better into their boxes, though it is a problem on the bigger ones.
Old 03-13-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
100% truth in your post. Amazon apparently hasn't figured out yet that comic book buyers aren't going to accept their shoddy packaging. I basically had to quit ordering trade paperbacks from them, even though I have Prime service. Hardcovers typically fit better into their boxes, though it is a problem on the bigger ones.
I ordered Essential Punisher #4 and got it yesterday in a padded envelope. Some how it was not damaged.
Old 03-13-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The smaller paperback books aren't a problem, but try shipping a 10-pound hard-cover in a padded envelope and see if the corners stay clean.
Old 03-13-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This thread reminds me that I haven't read one of my Omniboo in a while. Teen Titans, Sandman, Hawkman, Hush all sitting there on my shelf...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.