Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

September/October/November General Comic Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
September/October/November General Comic Discussion Thread

Time for a new quarterly thread, although I'm not sure if we even need to do this anymore, since the last quarter's thread only made it to two pages.

So how's everyone doing? What are your current comic feelings during this end of summer/early fall/back to school season?
Old 09-05-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: September/October/November General Comic Discussion Thread

I ran across an old (September) ad for Image United and decided to search to see if it was out on TPB yet. But apparently only two of the six issues have been released so far.
Old 09-05-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Issue 3 came out three weeks ago.
Old 09-05-10, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing is that this Image United series was supposed to be the return of the original Image founders, yet it also brought back all the ego and idiotic stuff that has driven the company down.
Old 09-05-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Issue 3 came out three weeks ago.
Ah, thanks--Wikipedia said it wasn't out as of early August.

Originally Posted by dx23
Funny thing is that this Image United series was supposed to be the return of the original Image founders, yet it also brought back all the ego and idiotic stuff that has driven the company down.
Thanks, Wiki also said it's been panned. So I won't bother with floppies and will look at trade if I get too curious (or if it improves).
Old 09-06-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Did anyone genuinely think this would turn out differently?
Old 09-06-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first issue was pretty entertaining. It was a blast seeing all the different art styles mesh together. It felt like the early days of Image. Storywise, there's not much going on. Issue 3 reads a lot like Issue 2. Lotta fights with bad guys. No progression. Art work looked rushed. I'm sure the remaining 3 issues will follow the trend.

Whenever those get published.
Old 09-07-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am LOVING comics right now.

I'm catching up on Locke and Key, and I swear this book is just perfect. It's such a simple concept, but it's executed brilliantly.

Also, I just started reading Gotham Central, which is another one of those no brainer ideas, that took 60 years for DC to do (ok, maybe the climate wasn't ready for this sort of book before the 90s at the earliest). These comics literally sing to me. It's one of those deals where you feel something was put on this earth only for you.
Old 09-07-10, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I am LOVING comics right now.

I'm catching up on Locke and Key, and I swear this book is just perfect. It's such a simple concept, but it's executed brilliantly.

Also, I just started reading Gotham Central, which is another one of those no brainer ideas, that took 60 years for DC to do (ok, maybe the climate wasn't ready for this sort of book before the 90s at the earliest). These comics literally sing to me. It's one of those deals where you feel something was put on this earth only for you.
This is one of my favorite comics ever. I'm now waiting for volume 4 to come out. By the way, someone needs to develop this series into an HBO or AMC TV show.
Old 09-07-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read Morning Glories #1 a couple of weeks ago, and it stood out to me. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. Speaking of Image, it's hilarious that Spawn 200, which was advertised SO heavily as having Todd McFarlane involved, is now several MONTHS late.

I buy a lot of floppies each month, and I'm really getting tired of all of the extra titles. Six Deadpool titles, four Thor titles, two (more!) new Batman titles, etc. I understand why they're doing them, but don't have to like it.

Speaking of Batman, I'm really getting sick of two things: Batman's "death" - just bring him back already! And Grant Morrison starting a new title about once a year, going through 8 issues, and then jumping over to a new title.

Still loving Punisher Max, Madame Xanadu (and several other Vertigo titles), and Crossed: Family Values.

Hating: X-Men titles (last major event was great! - now...meh), Iron Man (just a bunch of bickering and bitchy women - because they're "empowered"), Batman titles (God in heaven, PLEASE just bring back Batman and get on with it. It doesn't have to take three years - we all knew he'd be "back")
Old 09-07-10, 04:43 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This is one of my favorite comics ever. I'm now waiting for volume 4 to come out. By the way, someone needs to develop this series into an HBO or AMC TV show.
Locke & Key Adaptation Becomes TV SeriesBy Jordan Blanco on Aug 24th 2010 10:09 PM | 0 comments It appears award-winning producer and director, Steven Spielberg, has signed on to produce Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez's Locke & Key comic book series and bring the adaptation to TV rather than the big screen as originally announced. Spielberg and his Dreamworks TV studio will partner with Alex Kurtzman, Robert Orci, and Josh Friedman who've already signed a deal with 20th Century Fox TV. Vulture reported the news earlier today along with the news of Friedman penning episodes for the adaptation.

The series published by IDW was at one point picked up by Dimension Films who intended on developing a film adaptation with producer John Davis with the intent of creating a proper franchise out of it. Then in February 2010, Dreamworks picked it up attaching Kurtzman and Orci as writers and producers.

For those not familiar with the Locke & Key series, IDW Publishing describes it best:

Acclaimed suspense novelist and New York Times best-selling author Joe Hill (Heart-Shaped Box) creates an all-new story of dark fantasy and wonder: Locke & Key. Written by Hill and featuring astounding artwork from Gabriel Rodriguez (Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show, Beowulf), Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them.... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...

Definitely a solid book, now get pullin'.
http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/news/3...omes-tv-series
Old 09-07-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by modfather

Hating: X-Men titles (last major event was great! - now...meh), Iron Man (just a bunch of bickering and bitchy women - because they're "empowered"), Batman titles (God in heaven, PLEASE just bring back Batman and get on with it. It doesn't have to take three years - we all knew he'd be "back")

Oh dude, I couldn't disagree more. I just caught up with Invincible Iron Man, and I LOVE how that book is almost as much about the women, as it is about Tony Stark.

I'm not a fan of the Batman stuff at all, but to be fair his coming back is part of the story. I won't hold that against Morrison. However, I really do miss caring about the bat-books. The most fun I've had with that character is when I read No Man's Land last spring. NML isn't an amazing story, but it worked for me. Scratched that itch I needed tending. Now, I think I might work my way through the Rucka/Brubaker stuff, to go along with Gotham Central.

To a larger point, I really hate that I still do not give two shits about DC right now. There was a stretch, in the early 2000s, where DC had me on the edge of my seat? Now, I just feel completely blah about the whole line. Granted, I don't know what's good or not, because I'm not reading it, but what I hear doesn't make me excited at all.
Old 09-07-10, 10:52 PM
Banned

I've been a big critic of Morrison's work before but I'm really liking the Batman books and Dick Grayson as Batman. As much as I like Bruce Wayne, I'm really hating DC's decision to bring him back so soon. Seeing Grayson as Batman is giving different, interesting dimensions to the Batman books and the Justice League.

I also like the Invincible Iron Man book, although I hate the way everyone has forgiven him after the whole Civil War mess. To me, Iron Man should be a pariah trying to gain back the respect of the entire Marvel Universe and Spider-Man should be a man on the run after revealing his identity.
Old 09-08-10, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can see what you mean about forgiving Tony Stark, but I think that was handled pretty well in issue (I think it was) 22 or whatever. Yeah, in real life that would have implications that lasted for 10 years, and while the Civil War stuff still does have some effect on stories, it is only a minor one. I was cool with how Fraction wrote it away though, with the "reboot".

I am a pretty big Morrison fan. I think his hits are better than most anyone elses hits, but something about his Batman just puts me off. Maybe I would like Batman and Robin if I read it further, but I didn't really get into the first arc too heavy (which was only more surprising seeing as how that was the arc that set the internet to drool mode -- so I really was perplexed), and I really didn't like the RIP stuff, or the stuff leading up to it. I'm glad you're digging it though.

I feel similar about Marvel bringing Steve Rogers back. It's fine, and I LUV me some proper Cap, but I think Bucky was so much more interesting having the mantle all to himself. Now, I can't help but look at him as a place holder. You could say the same thing about the Flash group.

Last edited by boredsilly; 09-08-10 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-14-10, 06:59 PM
Banned

Shadowlands spoilers

Spoiler:

BLACK PANTHER Replaces Daredevil As The New Man Without Fear
By Albert Ching, Newsarama Staff Writer
posted: 14 September 2010 07:26 pm ET
Buzz up!
Add to delicious del.icio.us
Digg It! Digg It!
Save to Newsvine Newsvine
Add to reddit reddit
Text Size:
Related Images

Enlarge Image ENLARGE
1 of 1

As announced Friday evening on G4's Attack of the Show, Black Panther will take Daredevil's place as both the guardian of Hell's Kitchen and the "Man Without Fear" starting in December.

As of issue #513, the ongoing Daredevil series — previously reported to be ending with #512 in November — will become Black Panther: The Man Without Fear. The change is a result of the currently unfolding Shadowland story arc, and corresponds with the "Who Will Be The New Man Without Fear?" teaser images released last month by Marvel Comics, where Black Panther was presented as one of five possible candidates for the title. Shadowland ends in November.
Ads by Google
DC Comics Crisis in Audio
Listen to your favorite superheroes in GraphicAudio. Movie In Your Mind
www.GraphicAudio.net

G4's Blair Butler reported the creative team as novelist David Liss and aritst Francesco Francavilla. Liss made his comic book debut last year with Marvel's Daring Mystery Comics 70th Anniversary Special, and Francavilla drew all five of the "Who Will Be The New Man Without Fear?" images. Francavilla was announced by DC Comics last month as the artist of the Commissioner Gordon co-feature in Detective Comics starting with November's issue #871.

In the report, Butler said the new direction for the series "finds the Black Panther living outside of his kingdom and rebuilding his life without any of his trademark tech."

Late last month at Fan Expo in Toronto, Marvel announced Daredevil Reborn, by Shadowland and current Daredevil writer Andy Diggle and art from Davide Gianfelice. The series starts in January 2011, and last week the publisher unveiled two covers.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/blac...ontent=Twitter

Really Marvel, you are making it easy to hate your company.
Old 09-15-10, 03:10 PM
Banned

Great column on how "The One Moment in Time" shit has reduced Peter Parker to a stupid character

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/...ontent=Twitter

Sales of Spider-Man have declined. Hopefully someone at Disney will get the message and yank Quesada from the company. I'm holding him responsible for doing incredible damage to it's highest profile character, just so he could live vicariously through what was a complicated married man to a character that now is a free swinging bachelor without the responsibilities that made him the character people like me related to.
Old 09-15-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

How are comic book sales in general, though? Besides the big event pushes, of course. I haven't looked at numbers lately, but the state of the economy, the rising price of comics and the proliferation of trades all seem to be factors that would point to declining sales overall. Of course, I rarely visit comic sites anymore because I don't want to see spoilers (as I'm constantly behind due to collecting trades).
Old 09-15-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not good. Not horrible.

At one end in the direct market, we see no single comic book hitting six figures in overall orders. And while there is often dispute over the figures used, lacking in non North American figures and statistical errors introduced through limited raw data, they do indicate trends well. And trends right now are down for August comic books. Most of the big books see sales fall and the best seller, Blackest Knight, came in at only an estimated 93K in orders.
More at......Bleeding Cool
Old 09-15-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My LCS retailer called August numbers "Comic-Geddon" because the sales are trending down, and mainly due to their budget not able to take a flyer on books that they might have gambled on at the $2.99 price point vs. the higher $3.99. They are now more focused on their subscriber base's needs, and not are worried about "growing" the market with gambles on lesser known titles, or order a lot of shelf copies nowadays.
Old 09-16-10, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped buying single issues a while ago in opt for TPBs but there's a title coming out in October that will finally drive me back to the comic store.

Bela Lugosi's Tales from the Grave. I think this is going to be a real treat for Lugosi fans. I myself can't wait.
Old 09-16-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
My LCS retailer called August numbers "Comic-Geddon" because the sales are trending down, and mainly due to their budget not able to take a flyer on books that they might have gambled on at the $2.99 price point vs. the higher $3.99. They are now more focused on their subscriber base's needs, and not are worried about "growing" the market with gambles on lesser known titles, or order a lot of shelf copies nowadays.
This is sad. I guess they could sell around 25% less and make the same amount of money, but that's a shrinking fan base. Why did they decide to start upping the prices anyway? Increased printing costs? They just figure they can milk the consumer a bit more? I know at least DC tried to up the content by putting a smaller story at the end, but I think they're getting rid of those soon anyway and keeping the higher prices.
Old 09-16-10, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I heard a rumor that within five years, Marvel will go all digital/collections -- no more monthlies. Be interesting if it happens.
Old 09-16-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
I heard a rumor that within five years, Marvel will go all digital/collections -- no more monthlies. Be interesting if it happens.
That'd be a great way to lose ad revenue and screw over all the comic book stores that have helped keep them in business. Of course, some of these comics are still published only to keep the IP active for other marketing deals, so maybe it won't matter by that time.
Old 09-19-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
I don't know who your credible source is, but I can 100% guarantee that there is absolutely zero chance of this happening.
Old 09-20-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally got through my Blackest Night collections, after starting and stopping several times to try to get the order semi-right. I got the main HC, the Green Lantern and GLC ones, and the Tales of the Black Lantern Corps v. 1 and 2. The Tales ones were all collections of miniseries, and I have to say, while some had decent art and/or story, they were all skippable.

The addition of the "deputy" Lanterns seemed off, to me... I don't quite understand why they needed the backup when they already had x number of alien lanterns in the sky (besides Orange, of course, which just seemed to create problems anyway). I also didn't buy the whole

Spoiler:

Earth is the origination of the White Light, not Oa. I know Earth has a lot of cosmic importance, as they explained in stuff like Millenium, but doesn't this start to contradict? Also, does that mean Earth was the first planet created?

Also, what happened to the Zamorans, were they held up trying to control the violet entity?

I'm interested to see how long this mandate of "no new resurrections" holds up. On a side note, where is the Firestorm story/ramifications being picked up, in Brightest Day? I apologize for being so behind, I realize most probably read this stuff a while ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.