Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

September/October/November General Comic Discussion (Fall Harvest Edition)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

September/October/November General Comic Discussion (Fall Harvest Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: September/October/November General Comic Discussion (Fall Harvest Edition)

But I still have problems with the execution of the book. It does feel like an Astro City story at times... which is a really good way of describing it. But it also feels very weak at points. For example,

Spoiler:

It's revealed he has this obsession over one of his teammates, and he stages sexual scenarios where he has two people act it out. It's one thing to be insane... but this is on a whole new level.

Old 11-27-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I got that from the first volume. I think it's the teamate that went to find his ex-girlfriend in the demolished city that he has a thing for, right?

I think ultimately that my biggest gripe with the book is that if feels like an exercise from Mark Waid. Like it was something he just wanted to try to flex some muscles he doesn't use too often. When I say I found the story to be lackluster, I mean lackluster from Mark Waid. I think that guy is a great writer, and so I expect a certain enjoyment from the books I read from him. I don't think the book is an abortion though. Just to be clear.
Old 11-27-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's horrible, like, X-men horrible where it's unreadable and unintelligible. I mean, there are just certain plot points that make me go ?_?

Also, the later issues go downhill. Hell, one revelation will make you go ...gee, why didn't he do that before everyone started dying?