Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Comics buys the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Marvel Comics buys the rights to Miracleman/Marvelman

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I think those reprints of Mick Anglo stories early on probably hurt things a bit. I'm sure some people thought "I'll pick this up and see what this character is all about," only to find a toothless Captain Marvel knockoff.

I think I saw some of those hardcovers going for like $5. No one wanted them.
Why they ever thought anyone wanted those Mick Anglo issues was cuckoo.

I'll be honest and admit that I would get excited to see Marvel introduce Miracleman into the official Marvel Universe.
Old 12-23-15, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kodave
For instance, in January 2014, Marvel's best selling comic was Avengers World #1 with an estimated sales of 86,727 at $3.99 an issue. Miracleman #1 sold an estimated 52,313 copies at $5.99 an issue. The difference between the two is ~$32k. That's pretty easy money for Marvel right there.

And the collectors that are waiting for an oversized deluxe treatment have been waiting for so long at this point. It's unlikely a few more years is going to really affect those future sales significantly, though I can see how some of that audience might lose interest after sitting through all the initial hype of the reprintings.
It just seems to me that their lessened the long term sales potential considering their aging targeted audience for the character. I myself stopped buying comics because of a multitude of reasons: rising cover price w/ less pages, issues that were late by as much as 6 months, bloated decompressed storylines, and so much more. I pretty much stopped buying comics right before DC's Flashpoint. Had they put out softcover TPB's right away and started production on Gaiman's run I probably would have been a customer but stretching out everything with the reprints of Anglo's stories, the variant covers, reprinting the entire run by the month...

And damn, $5.99 for individual issues? Was it in prestige format or something compared to their regular issues?

I guess I'm out of the loop with collections. I preferred it when collections were produced relatively cheaply for the masses instead of what it is now, coming out in a more expensive hardcover first for the collectors like they did with "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?"

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think the polybags are there because of the explicit content. Especially the one with the graphic childbirth scene. Even before the Disney buyout, Marvel was weird about mature readers books, and this one is pre-existing, so they can't make editorial changes before publication without outraging the readers, so they're probably kind of 'weirded out' by having a mature readers book they can't control.
I remember they had the MAX line a while back, showing nudity and that wasn't polybagged, and there was only explicit nudity, IIRC in that one particular issue of Miracleman. The violence in MM looked like stuff you'd see in their Ultimate line, like the time there was a full page panel of The Blob chewing on the entrails of The Wasp. Maybe it's mostly because of Disney.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Why they ever thought anyone wanted those Mick Anglo issues was cuckoo.
I thought it was a decent idea to get audiences aware of the idea that this character was once an Atomic Age superhero who went MIA. Had they been in color I probably would have bought an issue or two, especially since they were based on the very fun Captain Marvel comics.

It felt like a bait and switch though, by having modern looking covers. It's a letdown to see a Marvelman Family comic with amazing Jae Lee art on the front, and then open up the comic to see some old fashioned black and white cartoons. They should have used the original Anglo covers to better advertise what the content was, and second, to reinforce that nostalgic/retro feel. Like what Big Bang Comics did or certain issues of Black Dynamite.
Old 12-28-15, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I thought the polybags were so people wouldn't read through them and not buy them. For a minute some video game magazines were doing this. Then again, maybe they had some explicit video game scenes in there...

Me personally, when it was announced they had bought the rights to Miracleman I was excited as I wanted to see Gaiman finish his stories. BUT first Marvel put out all these Mick Anglo reprints..
THEN they put out the entire old run month to month...
NOW they finally put out the issue with Gaiman continuing the story and I don't care anymore.

Don't usually they just reprint old comic runs in paperback? Maybe Gaiman and Buckingham needed time to get their other work out the way, before they could start back on the series, I dunno. But if it was just to bleed costumers out of more money than I can see why they might not have made back the profits they were seeking.
The polybags were done because of the explicit material. This is something that Marvel/Disney did on purpose so that kids didn't get a hold of these books and some idiot parent gets outraged.

Buying the rights was a huge pain in the ass for Marvel. Marvel first bought the rights to the Anglo stuff and then were able to finally get the rights to the Eclipse stuff after the rights to this version of Miracleman were straighten out after years of fight between Todd McFarlane, Neil Gaiman and the judicial system. This was a huge tangled mess which I hope gets put out in a documentary or oral history thing because it's pretty entertaining.

I think the polybags are there because of the explicit content. Especially the one with the graphic childbirth scene. Even before the Disney buyout, Marvel was weird about mature readers books, and this one is pre-existing, so they can't make editorial changes before publication without outraging the readers, so they're probably kind of 'weirded out' by having a mature readers book they can't control.

As for the decision to publish in comics singles before HCs and TPBs, that probably comes down to maximizing their profits. Another format to amortize the purchase. Also, the original run stopped two issues into Gaiman's second arc, so they were going to have to do some reprints anyway.

Marvel paid a lot of money for a worthless character... aside from some good run by Moore and Gaiman, there is absolutely nothing special about Marvelman. So they only have about thirty four issues worth of material to exploit. Maybe after Gaiman finishes the Dark Age they can reboot the character and put Marvelman in the Marvel Universe. Dunno what their plans are.
Funny thing is that even with the polybags, Marvel has edited some stuff that has outraged fans. For example, several of the issues have blacked out, removed and changed racial slurs. I don't understand at all why Marvel did this crap.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I don't think there's anyway to bring Miracleman into the Marvel U. He's too powerful. But I suspect they'll introduce a less powerful Marvelman version at some point.
For the past 4 years, Marvel has been rising the power levels of their characters. At one point, the Avengers under Hickman's run, was more powerful than the Justice League. The Avengers had on the roster at the same time:
Hulk
Red Hulk
Thor
Captain Universe
Starbrand
Nightmask
Luke Cage
Hyperion
Manifold
Captain Marvel
Rogue
Scarlett Witch
Ex-Nihilo
Noh-Varr
Doctor Strange
Namor
Captain Brittain
Iron Man

Marvel apparently wants to play with power big time, so Miracleman wouldn't be to far fetched in the new Marvel Universe.
Old 12-28-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Funny thing is that even with the polybags, Marvel has edited some stuff that has outraged fans. For example, several of the issues have blacked out, removed and changed racial slurs. I don't understand at all why Marvel did this crap.
Marvel has always been a very liberal, PC company. Now that Disney owns them and the comics are mostly used as a cheap source of ideas for their movie division, I would expect rampant changes of this nature going forward. No company in the world is better at whitewashing their own history than Disney.
Old 12-29-15, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

At some point I remember reading that when Gaiman was originally writing Miracleman he intended to finish his trilogy with the "Dark Age" and then pass his ownership share on to another writer, but for the life of me I can't remember who that writer was supposed to be.

Maybe that's still part of the plan, albeit without the ownership transfer. (Please not Bendis.)

Or maybe Marvel just has him show up in Atlantis Attacks 2019 Redux, or whatever Event rehash they're planning next.
Old 12-29-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
At some point I remember reading that when Gaiman was originally writing Miracleman he intended to finish his trilogy with the "Dark Age" and then pass his ownership share on to another writer, but for the life of me I can't remember who that writer was supposed to be.

Maybe that's still part of the plan, albeit without the ownership transfer.
I remember hearing, and I have no idea how much veracity this has, but...
Spoiler:
"The Dark Age" was going to provide a definitive end to the series and it wouldn't continue.
Old 12-30-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BGPu
Wasn't that Grant Morrison? I think the idea was that another popular English writer would pick up the mantle for the series. Though it sounds more like a fantasy what-if scenario answered by Gaiman in some interview than an actual plan.
Old 12-30-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, god, it's going to be Mark Millar, isn't it?

Or even worse, Warren Ellis.
Old 12-30-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought I read about who was next up in "Kimota! the Miracleman Companion." I'll have to check when I get home tonight.

Side note about Morrison's story that appeared in the Miracleman Annual:

Fans have known about the lost Morrison story for years, but no one was holding out much hope that it would ever surface. It was mired in controversy: A young Morrison wrote it in the mid-'80s with the blessing of Marvelman's publisher. But the deal fell apart, allegedly because of Moore. Here's what Morrison said of the incident in an interview a few years ago:

I didn't want to do it without Moore's permission, and I wrote to him and said, "They've asked me to do this, but obviously I really respect you work, and I wouldn't want to mess anything up. But I don't want anyone else to do it and mess it up." And he sent me back this really weird letter, and I remember the opening of it, it said, "I don't want this to sound like the softly hissed tones of a mafia hitman, but back off."
Old 12-30-15, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Side note about Morrison's story that appeared in the Miracleman Annual:
Alan Moore hates Grant Morrison. I'm too lazy to Google it but there's an interview out there where Moore absolutely demolishes Morrison and rips him to shreds, basically considering him a hack writer.
Old 12-30-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Does Alan Moore like anyone, though?
Old 12-30-15, 09:22 PM
Banned

Moore likes Gaiman. Other than that, I don't think he has ever given a compliment to anyone else.
Old 12-30-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He also tended to gush over Steve (no relation) Moore, and I believe he's still on good terms with Eddie Campbell.
Old 12-30-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kodave
Alan Moore hates Grant Morrison. I'm too lazy to Google it but there's an interview out there where Moore absolutely demolishes Morrison and rips him to shreds, basically considering him a hack writer.
https://slovobooks.wordpress.com/201...ore-interview/

It's long, but well worth a read. moore compares Morrison to "herpes" and a "medicinal leech."

It's also blazingly obvious that Moore can hold a grudge like an eighty year-old woman.
Old 01-02-16, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grant Morrison originally implied Alan Moore produced his best work by ripping off ideas from an older fiction book called "Super Folks". And when Morrison was at DC Comics he was slighting Alan Moore here and there, whether it be in regards to his stance on the Watchmen movie to the usage of rape in Moore's stories.

Alan Moore fired back in that interview.
Old 01-02-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

He also tended to gush over Steve (no relation) Moore, and I believe he's still on good terms with Eddie Campbell.
He's still on good term with Kevin O Neil as well.
Old 03-10-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

And now delayed.

Marvel Puts Gaiman And Buckingham’s Miracleman On Hold… For Now

I noted that the Neil Gaiman/Mark Buckingham remastered reprints and new chapters of their Miracleman run from Marvel Comics were missing from recent Marvel Previews. But I put that down to the usual delays that have accompanied this series over the last thirty-five years.

I didn’t know the half of it.

Marvel Comics have told retailers that the first three solicited issues of Miracleman By Gaiman And Buckingham: The Silver Age have been cancelled by Marvel. Retailers have been told they will be resolicited at a later date.
Bleeding Cool
Old 03-10-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, Neil Gaiman's only had about twenty-five years to write the next chapter. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Sandman Overture). Marvel announced the reprints would begin two years ago; I would hope that would have given NG enough of a heads-up to at least finish writing The Silver Age.

Sadly, I really hope the delay/cancellation is due to creator indolence and not the Mouse objecting to something.
Old 02-28-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since it's been about a year since Miracleman ceased publication, I was doing a web search on Miracleman tonight to see if there was any news and found this:

Neil posted this on facebook:

I've been asked about it a lot on Twitter, and have said the same thing, then and now: Miracleman has its own set of legal oddnesses. We thought they were all dealt with and tidied away, and then some contractual things came up that have had to be dealt with. They took us all by surprise. Lawyers have been beavering away for the last six months to get things sorted. As soon as they are, we can resume.
I hadn't heard this, even though the reddit post is from over six months ago. Whatever the issue is doesn't seem to have been resolved yet.

Apologies to Neil for thinking the delay was due to him goofing around and not getting it done. In a way I shouldn't be surprised that there was some kind of legal hang-up, but I would have thought they had everything locked down.
Old 03-09-17, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was wondering about this a while ago, if the Gaiman/Buckingham continuation had started yet.

It's a shame there's still legal issues. I don't know if the rest of the series can possibly live up to the hype and expectations after all this time.
Old 03-09-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd like to see them but it's been years and years now, the industry has largely moved on from Miracleman. Gaiman and Marvel should publish a mini-series about the drama behind the legal wranglings.
Old 12-23-21, 04:20 PM
Banned

Spoiler about Miracleman
Spoiler:
Seems that Marvel is preparing to bring Miracleman back starting with next week’s Timeless #1

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-24-21)
Old 12-23-21, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Wow
Old 12-24-21, 12:03 AM
Banned

Spoiler:

John Pannozzi (12-24-21)
Old 12-24-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't give a fuck about Miracleman outside of Neil Gaiman finishing up "The Silver Age" and "The Dark Age."

majorjoe23 (12-24-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.